Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

Aren't most protons just straight-up a license built Mitsu lancer? Also, can't you get one in ute format?

Sure (even with the same Mitsi 1.3 the whole time) but 30 years of production and a bunch of cosmetic changes (including an entirely new interior) mean that build quality is in the toilet even compared to the original.

They also made a licensed version of the early 90s Lancer - this was the one that got made into a ute (with a 1 star crash rating - guess adding a stiff rear section onto a flimsy, outdated sedan wasn't the best idea after all)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

kimcicle posted:

:stonk:

Is there a reason no air bags deployed?!

I guess there isn't any?

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
They came in really late in Australia and Asia. Most cars for this market didn't have them or they were optional in the 1990s, and even then it was often driver only.

Late coming or being standard probably because compulsory seatbelt laws anyway I guess, (speaking for Australia), and for cheap asian cars, well they were cheap no frills cars).
My early 1990s falcons didn't have them, my 1997 falcon was driver only, it's only our 2004 commodore that has front passenger and driver airbag (also has optional side airbags which weren't standard at the time across the range). e: None of the small commercial utes and 'mini'vans I've driven or owned had them either, and they were newer than 2004.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 3, 2015

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

The structure on some of those designs was so poor that airbags are unlikely to help anyway - those Mitsubishi vans that were sold up until recently are another glaring example.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tobu posted:

They sell Protons here - They used to say 'Suspension by Lotus' on them.

Wow...that brought back memories of the late 80s. Isuzu had that badging on the Impulse. I guess they did whatever they could for money as required.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Motronic posted:

Wow...that brought back memories of the late 80s. Isuzu had that badging on the Impulse. I guess they did whatever they could for money as required.

Same thing with their SUVs

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Outside my window 5 minutes ago:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

What kind of car is that

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dissss posted:

Same thing with their SUVs

"SUVs" meaning the Trooper? I had an 88 Trooper and I don't remember that.

(that was a great truck....terribly underpowered with no creature comforts but it was beastly offroad in stock trim)

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Probably market dependent - in Japan they were labelled Bighorn and had Lotus badges

(its a bit hard to see but that's what the center of the steering wheel says)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dissss posted:

Probably market dependent - in Japan they were labelled Bighorn and had Lotus badges

Ohhhh...nice. No, definitely not Japan. This was US market stuff.

FYI, the steering wheel is on the wrong side. That thing is broken.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

The structure on some of those designs was so poor that airbags are unlikely to help anyway - those Mitsubishi vans that were sold up until recently are another glaring example.

The L300. The only reason mitsu are being forced to stop selling them new in NZ is because of new laws that say every new vehicle has to have some sort of stability control.

dissss posted:

My mother had one of these. It was british racing green with a chocolate brown interior and had badges on the outside that said handling by lotus.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Impulse (both versions) and Stylus had Lotus-Tuned suspensions, and were actually pretty decent cars. A local autocrosser uses a '92 Stylus to great effect. The association also led to a prototype Isuzu V12 being put in a Lotus F1 car;

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Motronic posted:

Lotus is a wholly owned subsidiary of Proton so yeah.

Fun Trivia: They actually sell Protons in China under the Lotus brand, with the name being the Chinese word for Lotus (the flower). Actual British Lotuses are sold under the name "Lu Te Si" which is the Chinese transliteration of the English word Lotus.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
GM gutting Isuzu was one of the most terrible things they did. Isuzu used to make a lot of fun, sporty cars before GM pigeonholed them into just making Diesel engines and rebadged trucks and SUVs. I really wish I could find a late year first gen Impulse Turbo with the Lotus suspension.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Powershift posted:

What kind of car is that

Fiero, duh. :rolleyes:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HotCanadianChick posted:

...GM...terrible things they did...GM pigeonholed them...

Think about this. It's GM. It's what they do. It's a natural phenomenon. It's like being sad that gazelles have to get eaten by lions.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

"2007 Ford Mustang with HAND FORMED STEEL BODY, except for the door skins and roof. Hand formed grille, 2008 Lotus Eliese headlights and 1989 Cadilac tail lights. Electric Lambo door hinges. A Vortech V-3 supercharger. Appraised at $75,000 See www.sheetmetalhappens.com for build pictures."

This thing is hideous.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ahaha, the middle picture looks like benny the cab as hes about to crash.

edit: If it helps, this is what it was before they started on it:

Though that looks pretty nasty. Could there be frame damage?

Cage fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jan 4, 2015

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SperginMcBadposter posted:

This thing is hideous.

:stare:

I mean the rest of the car is hideous but oh my god, who finished this and thought "Yeah this works, this makes sense, and looks like something to be proud of"

I bought Asetto Corsa during the Steam sale and dusted off the G27, and it's me, I am the terrible car stuff.

[Asetto Corsa is amazing but oh god I need to never drive anything more powerful than a golf cart]

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Yes. Yes it is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SperginMcBadposter posted:

"2007 Ford Mustang with HAND FORMED STEEL BODY, except for the door skins and roof. Hand formed grille, 2008 Lotus Eliese headlights and 1989 Cadilac tail lights. Electric Lambo door hinges. A Vortech V-3 supercharger. Appraised at $75,000 See https://www.sheetmetalhappens.com for build pictures."

This thing is hideous.

I would love to see their proof of appraisal. It's probably an excel file with the original sticker price of the car, all the materials and some crazy math valuing the builders time at $500 an hour.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Kenshin posted:

Does his backpack have jets?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Rhyno posted:

I would love to see their proof of appraisal. It's probably an excel file with the original sticker price of the car, all the materials and some crazy math valuing the builders time at $500 an hour.

Don't forget the $25000 dealer markup, that'll help. Maybe it includes his own markup?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Cakefool posted:

Don't forget the $25000 dealer markup, that'll help. Maybe it includes his own markup?

Oooh, good catch.

I hate "appraised" listings more than anything else, I always flag that poo poo. I saw an RX-7 ad with "appraised at $60,000!" and the asking price was $12K. I wanted to go test drive it and crash it into a wall.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I keep seeing this acura ad:
https://vimeo.com/106637187

Parties with passwords...
Even the loving furry is bored.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Linedance posted:

I keep seeing this acura ad:
https://vimeo.com/106637187

Parties with passwords...
Even the loving furry is bored.

I remembering attending that kind of party (the secret lounge kind, not the furry kind) and it was full of the most pretentious ducks I ever had the displeasure of trying to talk to.

Maybe they were all Acura drivers.

vv Goddamn it I mean FUCKS. vv

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 4, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Wasabi the J posted:

I remembering attending that kind of party (the secret lounge kind, not the furry kind) and it was full of the most pretentious ducks I ever had the displeasure of trying to talk to.

Are you sure it wasn't a furry party?

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
Posted in one of the Facebook car groups I belong to:

quote:

It hit the knees a little but worked good haha

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Predictably, it's a vtec cam.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

VTEC is kneeing in!

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Wasabi the J posted:

Maybe they were all Acura drivers.

vv Goddamn it I mean FUCKS. vv

Did you expect anything else?

Pretence to exclusivity, eliteness and especially secrecy has a way of attracting a certain kind of person. The insufferable kind.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Pretence to exclusivity, eliteness and especially secrecy has a way of attracting a certain kind of person. The insufferable kind.

I don't get to see Acura as a brand here (some individual vehicles wash up but everyone just thinks of them as Hondas), am I wrong in picturing Acura owners as being even more insufferable/worse at operating a vehicle than Lexus owners?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Drive safe people

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dissss posted:

Drive safe people

I....

how?

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
It went through the entire passenger side....

E: also, GOD drat. The blood on the edge of the bottom of the post.

EE: HOLY poo poo THAT IS PEELED FLOOR PAN :stonk:

spookykid fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 5, 2015

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Big part of the decision to crush my Festiva was poo poo like that (Festiva, Aspire, same poo poo different dash). You are hosed when you wreck those things.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Pretty much an offset frontal impact as you can see from this other shot

First angle makes the car look oddly intact, second one not so much

I don't think you can really blame the car for this one though - I'm sure he'd have been equally hosed in any other small 90s car (hell I'm not even sure a modern car would necessarily save you from that type of impact)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

I took it in it's face and thought it would be a limited access night lounge thing where I could drink and listen to music with my friend, to my deluded twenty four year old mind.

It was when I realized there were just scores of people trying too hard to "class" everything up that I got really bored.

It was just a bunch of people imagining what rich people's parties must be like, focused on cosplayimg their favorite Bond scene and not even getting drunk, just... sipping expensive drinks that were ALL mentioned in movies or T.V.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dissss posted:

Pretty much an offset frontal impact as you can see from this other shot

First angle makes the car look oddly intact, second one not so much

I don't think you can really blame the car for this one though - I'm sure he'd have been equally hosed in any other small 90s car (hell I'm not even sure a modern car would necessarily save you from that type of impact)

Modern cars are better designed to survive offset frontals but an offset frontal into a pole at high speed is pretty much the worst type of crash you can have. The car is designed to absorb impacts from large objects like buildings and other cars; a pole is practically a knife by comparison and I don't see any way of designing around that. So I doubt it would've made much difference. It'd probably have been worse just cause modern cars are so fast. It takes real persistence and dedication to go that fast in a festiva, it isn't just an accelerator push away.