Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

that study says they're useless around san francisco which has major bottlenecks in the form of significant traffic needing to cross large bodies of water with only a few bridges available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nintendo Kid posted:

that study says they're useless around san francisco which has major bottlenecks in the form of significant traffic needing to cross large bodies of water with only a few bridges available.

which also includes long stretches of controlled-access routes like US-101 that sometimes even include two HOV lanes for some goddamn reason

their methodology is legit and these results have been studied elsewhere - we've known that HOV lanes have been worthless for awhile now

tho they should've really mentioned enforcement impacts that always gets swept under the rug

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

which also includes long stretches of controlled-access routes like US-101 that sometimes even include two HOV lanes for some goddamn reason

their methodology is legit and these results have been studied elsewhere - we've known that HOV lanes have been worthless for awhile now

tho they should've really mentioned enforcement impacts that always gets swept under the rug

point is people wouldnt keep doing sluglines into dc if it didnt work so well, so asserting from one study area that hov lanes don't work seems like a strange thing to trust on.

although edmonton probably doesnt need them for the reason that they still dont even have a complete freeway network.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

well hov lanes are on the wrong side of exits

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

theflyingexecutive posted:

depends where you are

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

hov here is on the exit side and also shares with the bus lane in many segments
but the bottlenecks are coming into the cities anyway so best case you get to wait 45 minutes 5 minutes sooner :q:

also a tunnel which is 2 lanes each way except rush hour when some gates and lights turn one lane into counterflow

it doesn't help much.

EMILY BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 4, 2015

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

West Chester is an absolute nightmare to drive in

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
commuting sounds like it sucks

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like hov lanes because they're motorcycle lanes.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

wish it'd link to the actual study so we could see how much it shortens commutes, since the study apparently concedes that it does but says that it just doesn't do it enough, which is an entirely subjective measure

also apparently california allows tens of thousands of single-person vehicles to take hov lanes

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

wish it'd link to the actual study so we could see how much it shortens commutes, since the study apparently concedes that it does but says that it just doesn't do it enough, which is an entirely subjective measure

also apparently california allows tens of thousands of single-person vehicles to take hov lanes

that's probably just them trying to dumb down a statistical explanation of "there may be a difference in commute times by commute type, but it is not statistically significant" which is not subjective

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

found the study, it's actually pretty interesting

makes a good point in that an hov lane is essentially a one-lane highway, so speed is affected a lot more by the slowest guy on the road. there's only one hov lane, so if one car decides they want to go fifty-five the whole way, everyone behind them is stuck dealing with it. when the hov lane is turned off people can just hop into the next lane and pass them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Main Paineframe posted:

The state’s response?

Caltrans and local transportation officials said the federal speed requirements are too strict and should be changed.

lol

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The state’s response?

Caltrans and local transportation officials said the federal speed requirements are too strict and should be changed.

lol

they arent wrong

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Rexicon1 posted:

they arent wrong

Along with California, a dozen states allow non-carpoolers in carpool lanes, either through tolls or by letting solo drivers enter the lane with qualifying clean-air vehicles. California’s program is aimed at reducing emissions by incentivizing the purchase of vehicles that pollute the air less.

But the Federal Highway Administration said Virginia and California are the only states that allow single drivers and have lanes failing to meet federal standards. In Virginia, the slowdowns are occurring on only one freeway: I-66, outside the Beltway, FHWA said.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

imo they should have removed the clean-air-vehicle option as soon as the tesla went on sale

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

motorcycles should always be allowed in a carpool lane though because they take up like 1/8 the space of a car

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

motorcycles should always be allowed in a carpool lane though because they take up like 1/8 the space of a car

other places tend to allow it b/c they don't contribute meaningfully to peak traffic and it likely helps reduce lane sharing (in places where it's illegal)

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
carpool lanes can have a decent effect on commute time in minneapolis and it doesn't make much sense for most people to carpool. so you can buy a mnpass and pay a toll to use them and that seems like a reasonable alternative use.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

other places tend to allow it b/c they don't contribute meaningfully to peak traffic and it likely helps reduce lane sharing (in places where it's illegal)

yea, i imagine that motorcycles are much more of a concern in other countries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx-Yeybc3OY

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
carpooling is good and cool

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Hov lanes on 101 are just as inconsistent as a bike lane in the Midwest, and the double lane thing by 85 was added mid 2014 whereas the linked article is from 2013

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

But all that said the obv soln is to close all the highways and give all the funding they get to Bart (gently caress the California train)

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

any lane that pisses off the ruling class is ok by me

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Along with California, a dozen states allow non-carpoolers in carpool lanes, either through tolls or by letting solo drivers enter the lane with qualifying clean-air vehicles. California’s program is aimed at reducing emissions by incentivizing the purchase of vehicles that pollute the air less.

But the Federal Highway Administration said Virginia and California are the only states that allow single drivers and have lanes failing to meet federal standards. In Virginia, the slowdowns are occurring on only one freeway: I-66, outside the Beltway, FHWA said.

I-66 is easily the worst road I've ever had to deal with on a regular basis

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

any lane that pisses off the ruling class is ok by me

bike lanes are really, really good at this.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
no number of hov lanes will make 101 through the valley not suck. it would probably still be overcrowded if you literally made it a double-decker all the way from 880 to redwood city

actually, does anybody ever do that? embrace our dystopian automobile-centric future by making a second layer of freeway going in the same direction just to reuse space? i guess you'd have to shut down the lower freeway completely while you built the upper deck, which would be pretty prohibitive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

look to Texas for all your ridiculous highway needs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

rjmccall posted:

no number of hov lanes will make 101 through the valley not suck. it would probably still be overcrowded if you literally made it a double-decker all the way from 880 to redwood city

actually, does anybody ever do that? embrace our dystopian automobile-centric future by making a second layer of freeway going in the same direction just to reuse space? i guess you'd have to shut down the lower freeway completely while you built the upper deck, which would be pretty prohibitive

building more roadway capacity actually literally generates more traffic it's always a losing proposition, not that this stops the people who make these decisions

but yeah that would make you need to shut down the entire thing since you wouldn't be able to phase it like a regular lane expansion and shunt all of the traffic to one side while you work on the other side - a double deck like that would need to be built all at once and you can't send traffic under structural steel gettin installed like that

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

i like hov

:xd:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

building more roadway capacity actually literally generates more traffic it's always a losing proposition, not that this stops the people who make these decisions

oh right, of course, i remember reading about that

so, it's interesting. increasing capacity doesn't ultimately reduce congestion, but that doesn't mean it's worthless; a lot of the sources of induced demand provide value to users independently of congestion. so e.g. when my master plan to make 101 a double-decker freeway is finally carried out, it'll just have twice as many lanes of congested highway, but that's because more techies will be able to leave work at the time they wanted, rather than having to rearrange their lives around avoiding the traffic jam. that has social value, or it at least it would if this weren't silicon valley

but since this is silicon valley, we can achieve an equivalent measure of social value by carefully determining the peak usage hours and rigging the upper deck to collapse

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
motorcycles don't count in road rules because they don't follow any of the rules to begin with

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

why does the tech bubble thread always talk about loving transit

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

:spergin:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

PokeJoe posted:

why does the tech bubble thread always talk about loving transit

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

non unionized slave wage bus drivers for everyone

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Maximum Leader posted:

non unionized slave wage bus drivers for everyone

Uh excuse me they're not bus drivers but just people that have access to a bus and want to carshare with people for money.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
what if I told you you could get on a google bus, it picks you up near your home, it'll take you near your workplace, it only costs a few dollars per ride, you don't have to plan too far in advance, AND you don't have to work at google to do it?

It's called a bus, and it pisses google off to no end.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
buses are good, but lol if u think anyone who is not poor, old, and/or minority ethnic will ever get on one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

busses are seriously not good, if they were good i might think about riding them

but they just go round and round and never go where i want to go

• Locked thread