Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Wickerman posted:

PS: additives to fuel are useless and BP's invigorate or whatever it's called does nothing

But...someone wearing a labcoat would never mislead us, right?!

edit: I can just picture some chucklefuck running out of gas trying to make it to a Shell instead of some lower quality fuel selling place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBobio
May 1, 2009
The actual 'gasoline' part of gasoline is completely generic. It just comes from whatever refinery happens to be close to the gas station, regardless of branding. What differentiates brands are the additive mixtures added to the gas before you buy it. There is a minimum level of additives necessary to be able to sell gas though, so even the no-name station's gas will have some in there. Just use whatever station you like.

I wouldn't recommend using 'wild' gasoline (gasoline w/o additives) in your car if you're somehow able to find it, if only because it would likely void a warranty.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So that co worker story I told earlier where she had like $30K in clothing credit cards, wanted to go to Israel, and hoped to eschew ALL debt so they can devote themselves to their Jehovah's Witness group.

Turns out this past weekend was their anniversary. After complaining at length about how they will never pay off their debt and they don't make enough money, etc. etc. he gets her a $800 necklace from TIffany's. Was the wrong color so they sent it back to get the right one. She got him 5 gifts for the entire week totalling over $500 from a nice watch repair to a three night stay at a bed and breakfast. Both work part time.

And they complain they can't pay their debt down and devote enough money to Jesus.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BigBobio posted:

I wouldn't recommend using 'wild' gasoline (gasoline w/o additives) in your car if you're somehow able to find it, if only because it would likely void a warranty.

What the heck? Do people crack their own petroleum in their backyard or something? Do they just find jugs of liquid in the woods and use it to fill their cars?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Jastiger posted:

So that co worker story I told earlier where she had like $30K in clothing credit cards, wanted to go to Israel, and hoped to eschew ALL debt so they can devote themselves to their Jehovah's Witness group.

Turns out this past weekend was their anniversary. After complaining at length about how they will never pay off their debt and they don't make enough money, etc. etc. he gets her a $800 necklace from TIffany's. Was the wrong color so they sent it back to get the right one. She got him 5 gifts for the entire week totalling over $500 from a nice watch repair to a three night stay at a bed and breakfast. Both work part time.

And they complain they can't pay their debt down and devote enough money to Jesus.

I thought JWs didn't do holidays of any kind?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Centripetal Horse posted:

It's not just you. In my experience, the vast majority of people think higher octane fuel is "better" fuel. I have friends who have reasonable car knowledge, and were still under that impression until recently. I think it's understandable to be ignorant on this point. The real idiots are the ones that continue to shove 93-octane fuel into their econoboxes after they've had the concepts of octane ratings and compression explained to them.

My first car was a real beater. My dad, a 60 year old man who had been driving since he was 16, told me to put "better" gas in it since it was so old and neglected. As a new driver, why would I doubt someone who's been driving for that long?

Luckily I didn't put 91 in, I filled it with 89 for a few months until I said "gently caress it" and started using regular old 87 because I was willing to risk the engine blowing up or whatever my father thought would happen because I was cheap and lazy.

Of course, now I know to listen to car advice from my father and do the exact opposite, because he falls into the camp of people who think that since they've been doing it for 45 years, they are right all the time, research or scientific evidence be damned.

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.

canyoneer posted:

They don't do "religious" holidays or "national" holidays, but they are ok to do wedding anniversaries. No "birth anniversaries" though (aka birthdays).

Your story here about the JWs doesn't really surprise me. There is a heavy pressure not to focus on money because God will provide and to instead dedicate working hours to preaching. Hence why they were so ok with going from FT to PT. I am surprised with the amount they spent on it though.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Remember my aunt and uncle from earlier in the thread?

Post on Facebook last night: "So happy! Finally got the tanning bed hooked up!"

The. Tanning. Bed. Yes.

There is NO reason for this. They lived in California. And now Colorado. 2 places with 300 days of sunshine a year. Nobody in the house seasonal affective disorder AFAIK. I do get a moderate case in the winter, but I don't even own a tanning bed. And while I'm not someone who sneers at poors for having iPhones or cars that aren't pieces of complete crap, I don't think this is a case of something bought when times were good that they just held on to or was handed down by a friend. It certainly wasn't something they had 10 years ago.

Oh, and I was correct: most things will be going to a storage locker, as their current apartment does not have the room. But the tanning bed stays! SMH.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Using tanning beds is just being bad at life, no exceptions.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

canyoneer posted:

Its kind of infuriating. They will not go out to the CHristmas Dinner on the company dime, but they'll just "go out to lunch" and rack up a huge bill that way. This person is a real enigma to me. She's all Jehovah this Jehovah that and have this strict code....and then blow all their money on stuff like this, or have no problem taking advantage of small loopholes in their Qun.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

MrOnBicycle posted:

I gotta be bronze for spring break bro.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

MrOnBicycle posted:

It's kind of like a loan, but for appearance. Look somewhat better now, look much worse in 10 years. Plus cancer!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MrOnBicycle posted:

I didn't even know you could buy a tanning bed for home use. That just seems really, really dangerous (maybe not worse than cigarettes though?).

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of the tanning "salons" around here are just a couple of beds set up in somebody's house. They'll have a basement or side room with exterior access and have some tanning beds, maybe cut hair or do nails or rent space to someone who does. It was a big thing with all the popular girls in high school that they were super tan year-round, and now when I run into one they look like beef jerky.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This guy isn't bad with money, in fact he's become financially independent at 24, but I feel like he's going to make some bad choices down the road.

quote:

24m: 65k USD/month. Don't let me mess this up. (self.financialindependence)
submitted 5 days ago * by hollameup

Dear Reddit, first time poster here!

I am making this post seeking for advice. I am 24m and for the last 18m I struck gold with a social media webproject. I left Germany for Singapore one year ago, which greatly reduced my tax obligations.
There is no doubt about how lucky I am and I do not expect it to last for years. I do not want to mess this up. I quit university, chemistry studies. I do not want to work in the field anymore. I picked up some programming, but I outsourced development of my idea. If I mess up my FI, I would have to start a new study (business school?) and go back to working. I dread the thought.

I have zero experience with stocks, trading, investing. I did however buy some Gold and Silver and Bitcoin. I was quite lucky with bitcoin, Gold and Silver I lost around 15% since purchase. Very annoying, but I hope I can "wait it out". It is still supposed to be a long term backup.
I do not have life insurance, sideprojects, will likely not get government pension, will inherit nothing. This looks like my one shot.
My networth is 850k+ USD, growing monthly by 65k:
*55k USD in Gold (I do not intend to buy more)
*50k USD in Silver(I do not intend to buy more)
*33k USD in Bitcoin (I do not intend to buy more)
*150k USD invested in investment bond, 7%/year (until summer 2017)
*150k USD fixed deposit in offshore bank, 5% / year (until summer 2017)
*100k USD in fixed deposit for my VISA, 2.5% (until VISA is revoked)
*350k+ USD directly in bank account, waiting for ideas.

My lifestyle: I try to stick to 8h / day work but sometimes big time differences to a few clients mess my sleep pattern up greatly. I did splunge about 20k USD in stuff I wanted (suit, decent watch, some designer clothes and a trip to hawaii). I am pretty much done with rewarding myself though. I just do yoga now and work on my music (recreationally, not as a career). I also discovered the beautiful people of /r/minimalism before I moved abroad. I have rid myself of a lot of stuff and almost live out of a suitcase now. I have no overhead back home (gave all to charity, gave up apartment). In the future I want to be able to live comfortable and continue traveling. I have no SO but once kids are in the picture I want to move back home. I expect to need about 60k USD/year to have a great lifestyle in Berlin.

Things in my head:
  • moving to South America, further lowering my monthly expenses (at the moment about 2000 USD), I should be able to live with half of it down there. Also I want to learn Spanish.
  • I will also further reduce tax with offshore structure once I am in South America, saving about 100k USD / year.
  • I am getting professional help with accounting to not screw something up here. I am not superhappy with current accountant. This more of a note to self, but I am sure spending money on profesionall opinions is smart.
  • Once I have more time, I would like to get an MBA, but it will be hard as I did not finish any degree yet. Not sure if such an non typical MBA is even worth it?
  • If I make it to a few millions I want to buy a big house with 20+ apartments and live of renting out. You guys will surly correct me on that. Also it ties me town tremendously, put my eggs in one basket, something I don't like. What do you think?
  • If I get to 2M+ I want to learn how to fly an airplane. I think a 100k lifestyle splungle then is okay!
  • I am highly paranoid about economic crash and superinflation. What do you guys think?
  • I subscribed to sovereignman but dont know what to think of them yet. Are they legit?
Reddit, If you need to know anything else, please just ask :)

quote:

[–]hollameup 1 point 4 days ago
I am mostly overwhelmed with all the options. Also I am very vary of the stockmarket. I always think that "only the big guys" can handle it and that whoever you give your money, will take a giant cut. If it goes up, great, if it goes down, you are the sucker.
Also I read a few years ago that there is a giant luck involved in succesfull trading. So if even the pros can't do it consistent, how can I?
I have some reading to do and I am happy about the input I receive here.

quote:

[–]hollameup 0 points 4 days ago
So the big question is, do I pour money into stock market now or do I wait until a "correction" ? I hear talk about overheating, all time highs and such.

quote:

[–]hollameup 6 points 5 days ago
Thank you for your thoughtful reply! It is indeed riding a wave and I do not think it will be around longer than 3 years. There is some competition, I have however bought two of them out. Bill Gates Style haha. I do not think I can be a new facebook or netflix. I have 700k signups and 35k paying customers. I constantly think about ways to upsell.
This said, I still think quite "traditional". I don't really like to spend money I don't have or where I do not see a great opportunity. The guys at /r/startups seem to scale their ideas differently. I have some thinking to do, you are right.
When you mention real estate: Is that not currently on all time highs? Also where can I get 40+ Unit apartment buildings for my wealth? I did some calculations for buldings in berlin, and I think a 5% return each year should be possible. Do you agree?
Stocks: Do I pick them myself (open a trading acccount seems like a big step for me) or should I go with something like https://www.blackrock.com/ and tell them my existing portfolio?

Of course the fact that he's asking what apartments to buy on Reddit is a red flag for me
http://www.reddit.com/r/financialindependence/comments/2qq5bc/24m_65k_usdmonth_dont_let_me_mess_this_up/

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
How about this reddit guy? Police took my life savings after OP and his friend got pulled over.

quote:

Apparently while my friend was in the car with the officer, he was intimidated into consenting to a search of the vehicle. A personal amount of marijuana belonging to him was in the vehicle. After finding that, they also came across some things of mine that raised a flag for them. Essentially my entire life savings. I won't discuss exactly how much it was, but let's just say upwards of 20k. I KNOW THIS PROBABLY SEEMS SKETCHY. I had this on my person because I travel, don't really have a home base to keep my valuables... In my mind, it was safer with me.

We were taken to the local station, and they attempted to interrogate us. I was handcuffed to a chair for four hours. I asked repeatedly why I was still being held. I wasn't told I was being charged with a crime. I wasn't under arrest but an "investigative detention." After administering an extremely BIASED test, they decided that was enough for them to keep my money.

I received a receipt for my seized property. This was two weeks ago, I haven't gotten a phone call or any type of message from them regarding this. I've called the prosecutors office in the area the incident happened, but they can't do anything because they haven't received anything on their end. No charges were filed, so they don't even have a record of it. I did a lot of research right when this happened, and I read something about the possibility of this being processed via a "federal equity sharing program" or something like that... Essentially an extremely lucrative money making opportunity for their department.

So at this point, I'm attempting to compile documents where I can prove the income was taxed at some point. I don't know what goes into this...

TLDR - 20k of mine was taken by the police. I haven't been charged with a crime. What is a legitimate way of going about proving that it's mine?

Why, exactly, did this guy have 20 thousand dollars in cash on him?

quote:

I've been in a position to save money for years. I'm extremely good at money management. The money is legitimate. A portion of it came from selling material possessions recently, as I was in the process of relocating. I made multiple trips to move all of my things to a different state a year ago. I wasn't willing to put forth the same effort to return. I'm a server, so a lot of the money I have wasn't per se 'reported' ... All of the money I received was in cash.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

It was taxed at some point, probably when the shmuck who bought my weed material possessions paid income tax, what a loser.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Bad with money, me. I had to drive my wife's big-rear end Buick and took a turn too sharp in a parking deck. One little dent in just the wrong place = $1000 deductible. :sigh:

I can still mock my sister-in-law, who burned through a 100k insurance settlement in less than a year and is borrowing money again. Sneaky poo poo, like asking my wife if she has any Kohl's 30% off coupons and if she'd buy some Christmas gifts for her nephews and the sister will "pay you back" <wink wink>.

I'd like to believe most people who are bad with money at some point find a kind of financial peace or equilibrium. But she's been doing this poo poo for 20 years now. So now we're trying to figure out how to stick all my father-in-law's assets into a trust so when he dies she doesn't strong-arm it all from her mother.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Wickerman posted:

Short version: lower octane fuel has a higher concentration of trimethylpentane, a highly branched octane that combusts quite rapidly. Higher octane fuel has a higher concentration of straight chain octane (N-octane) which does not combust as quickly as highly branched octane.

What is best for the car depends on what the manufacturers decided the car should be ran off of when designing the engine.

PS: additives to gasoline are useless and BP's invigorate or whatever it's called does nothing

Or an easier explanation higher-octane fuel compresses better than lower octane fuel. For example my car requires premium fuel so if I were to say put 87 in it the compression from the engine would be so great against the fuel that it will cause the fuel to combust earlier than it is supposed to and cause the engine to knock.

Back in the day it was a huge problem but now that it's 2015 cars are a little smarter about it. My car will retard itself if you put 89 octane in it over 91 and does even more-so if you put lower octane in. The milage will fall off the charts and it will run like a POS. It could even damage it over time but I dunno, I just use 91 and forget about it.

The only reason to ever get higher-octane fuel is because your car has a higher compression than the lower-level octane can handle.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

How about this reddit guy? Police took my life savings after OP and his friend got pulled over.

That's the most obvious "So my friend...." post ever.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

It is dumb to carry huge amounts of cash but a lot of people do it for all kinds of reasons, and bullshit administrative seizure of cash, valuables, and vehicles belonging to people never charged with a crime or charged with some minor traffic offense is a real thing

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

It is dumb to carry huge amounts of cash but a lot of people do it for all kinds of reasons, and bullshit administrative seizure of cash, valuables, and vehicles belonging to people never charged with a crime or charged with some minor traffic offense is a real thing

Maybe you didn't read it but, "his friend" had a "personal amount" of Marijuana in the car as well.

Jan 11, 2004

Rudager posted:

Maybe you didn't read it but, "his friend" had a "personal amount" of Marijuana in the car as well.

Why in your mind does the possession of a small amount of marijuana ("personal amount" presumably implying a misdemeanor/non-distribution or decriminalized quantity in whatever locale) by a second party entitle the police to seize $20,000 they stumble upon without a criminal charge or due seizure process?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Why in your mind does the possession of a small amount of marijuana ("personal amount" presumably implying a misdemeanor/non-distribution or decriminalized quantity in whatever locale) by a second party entitle the police to seize $20,000 they stumble upon without a criminal charge or due seizure process?

I'm sorry I have to break it down to the absolute base level for you, but there was a reason that I put quotes around "personal amount" and "his friend".

Just so we're clear, it was to heavily imply it was more than likely his own stash he uses to deal drugs to make that cash, but he was trying to make himself sound innocent on the internet like everyone who starts a post with "My friend....".

I mean I know people who travel a lot, and they're always broke, and if they're not and do actually have $20k+, they're not dumb enough to keep it on them in cash, because they're not drug dealers.

Jan 11, 2004

Rudager posted:

I'm sorry I have to break it down to the absolute base level for you, but there was a reason that I put quotes around "personal amount" and "his friend".

Just so we're clear, it was to heavily imply it was more than likely his own stash he uses to deal drugs to make that cash, but he was trying to make himself sound innocent on the internet like everyone who starts a post with "My friend....".

I mean I know people who travel a lot, and they're always broke, and if they're not and do actually have $20k+, they're not dumb enough to keep it on them in cash, because they're not drug dealers.

I get what you're implying but not everybody that happens to be in the same car as a joint is a drug dealer and the fact that you're just assuming the guy is lying is precisely the problem with civil forfeiture

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

I get what you're implying but not everybody that happens to be in the same car as a joint is a drug dealer and the fact that you're just assuming the guy is lying is precisely the problem with civil forfeiture

No, but in the same car as weed AND 20k cash is extremely suspicious. Plus he won't even give any alternate explanation for the money. I think he should have a chance to get his money back but this is exactly the thing civil forfeiture was made for, before it was abused by greedy pigs.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

90% of reddit posts (hell, all forums posts for that matter, including this one) are lies and/or bullshit.

Jan 11, 2004

Magic Underwear posted:

No, but in the same car as weed AND 20k cash is extremely suspicious. Plus he won't even give any alternate explanation for the money. I think he should have a chance to get his money back but this is exactly the thing civil forfeiture was made for, before it was abused by greedy pigs.

Right, and in any other circumstance when the police have suspicion that you are doing something wrong ("probable cause") they obtain a warrant and then arrest you and charge you with a crime. Civil forfeiture was made for seizing trafficked drugs, counterfeit goods, and assets of people like drug lords and foreign despots that are difficult for practical and jurisdictional reasons to prosecute - decidedly NOT to freely grab at cash or anything else of value local police might stumble across during traffic stops.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Right, and in any other circumstance when the police have suspicion that you are doing something wrong ("probable cause") they obtain a warrant and then arrest you and charge you with a crime. Civil forfeiture was made for seizing trafficked drugs, counterfeit goods, and assets of people like drug lords and foreign despots that are difficult for practical and jurisdictional reasons to prosecute - decidedly NOT to freely grab at cash or anything else of value local police might stumble across during traffic stops.

In theory, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Assuming you value your time above 0 cents per hour, arguing in this thread about a reddit post is bad with money.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

jon joe posted:

Assuming you value your time above 0 cents per hour, arguing in this thread about a reddit post is bad with money.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
My point in posting that story was that carrying your "life savings" in cash is bad with money. The car could have crashed and caught on fire, or he could have been carjacked and robbed.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Anything over like a couple grand in cash is probable cause enough for the police to seize it without charging you and then you have to go to court to prove it was your legally acquired money. This happens constantly because police departments get to keep a portion of it for their operating costs.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/investigative/2014/09/06/stop-and-seize/

Jan 11, 2004

My point in posting that story was that carrying your "life savings" in cash is bad with money. The car could have crashed and caught on fire, or he could have been carjacked and robbed.

No question about it but "abject financial ruin with little or no recourse at the hands of law enforcement" should not be on that list of hazards.

Jan 11, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Anything over like a couple grand in cash is probable cause enough for the police to seize it without charging you and then you have to go to court to prove it was your legally acquired money. This happens constantly because police departments get to keep a portion of it for their operating costs.

Yep, the perverse incentives that make police more interested in finding a jackpot than actually stopping crime are a big part of the problem, especially in the era of police militarization and all the cool expensive poo poo that requires. At least some states have effectively abolished civil forfeiture by either imposing onerous standards of evidence or taking away the golden carrot by putting proceeds of forfeiture into a general fund rather than going directly to the seizing agency.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

There was a particularly public scandal by a small town in Texas for forfeiture as well:
http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/05/05/texas.police.seizures/index.html

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

This whole thing reminds me of that teen who found $2000 in a parking lot in Dallas a few years back. She turned it over to the police, who decided to keep the money for themselves after the money went unclaimed. :woop:

That's the thing about money that gets found "in the wild". Pretty much everyone, including local law enforcement, treats it like it's free money. So instead of thinking you're all clever because you stuff it beneath your mattress, put the money in your bank account. Not only is it protected by a vault, FDIC/CDIC insurance, and a fancy security system, but it also leaves a paper-trail if things go haywire.

I know how condescending that advice sounds, but I've spoken to a lot of people who think they're so clever because they stash their bank notes around the house for a variety of odd, Dale Gribble-type of reasons.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 4, 2015

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

Rudager posted:

Yeah carrying 20G's around in cash is about the most stupid loving thing I can imagine. There's no sane reason for any law-abiding citizen to have that much cash on their person. The most amount of physical cash I've ever handled was $5,000 and I've never felt more terrified and paranoid in my life than when I was carrying that around.

And I get that cop hate is the new hipster trend, but why even give the police a reason to gently caress your day up? Don't carry cash like a drug dealer, go the speed limit, and "Yes sir, No sir, I'm sorry sir." goes a long way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

our favorite reddit posted:

Boyfriend is 22, just got a job - actually his first one. He's bought everything himself his entire life. His parents however are fairly well off but only pay for one thing, his phone bill. I'll give him credit that he's been fairly smart with money and always saved up.

His monthly expenses are as follows: - 250 student loans - 250 gas - 8 netflix

He has been driving a yr 2000 chevy that (honestly) is a beater. The transmission actually died on it last month and he had it replaced even though the car was totaled. That cost about 1600.

Anyway, he just got a new job making $32,000 a year and while it has full benefits including a 401k, he's been showing me the numbers and telling me he can "buy a $35,000 car" - which is one he's really wanted for the past two years. Doing the math he figured he pays about 667 in taxes a month, and that at 4.0% interest with 10,000 down, his payments would be about 550 for the car, and 250 for the insurance. So, I did the math with him and totaled EVERYTHING up. It came out to $22,000 - taxes, gas, netflix, insurance, and car payments.

I just can't help but think he's wasting a considerable amount of money and shouldn't do this. But he won't listen and says he'll save 50% of the remaining 5000 every month and the other 50% he'll budget for expenses. So that's $400 guaranteed savings and another 400 for whatever expenses (less than 100wk). I want to show him this thread so I'm hoping I can get some good feedback from much smarter people (that aren't me). His parents are the type of people who don't care what he does because it's his life but have 100% said they won't give him a dime.

EDIT: also to be fair to him, he keeps track of ALL of his expenses on his phone. He totaled up the past 18 days of the month and it came to a whopping $115 not including gas since he already accounted for that.

EDIT Wow this is got big. I have shown my boyfriend the thread:

Yes his parents pay for everything "else" and are okay with him living home for the next five years

He is working in tech and as everyone knows after a year of experience they usually receive big jumps, although he is starting out with a bad salary for his specialty (I guess that's what it's called) he is working with "something else" and they are training him.
regarding the car: he said he'll re-evaluate in june. he can't use it to tow a jetski in winter anyway. so basically, he's going to wait and see if he gets a raise in 6 months, if he can live off of a 1000 a month budget, and how much he has saved up by june. he said that he realizes how stupid it is now but "I don't even buy clothes more than once a year so those are literally my only expenses"

As for why I mentioined the past "18 days" of expenses in the OP - he has tracked it month to month. From september to november first he spent $200 total! it's usually less than 115 but not always.
Thanks for the "help" though
Dodged a bullet there, but at what point does "buy a car worth more than my (low) annual salary because I can technically afford the payments...as long as I keep living with my parents, and as long as nothing unexpected happens with my career" sound like a good idea? :psyduck:

melon cat posted:

I know how condescending that advice sounds, but I've spoken to a lot of people who think they're so clever because they stash their bank notes around the house for a variety of odd, Dale Gribble-type of reasons.
That sounds like a good way to lose your money by forgetting where it is or having it fall into a crack, let alone having someone swipe it from you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I'm the kid who bought everything himself his entire life, without ever having a job.

My parents didn't pay for anything but food, clothing, housing, an allowance, which I skillfully saved in a piggy bank my cellphone bill

I'm good with money.

• Locked thread