Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

Also I really need to start reading SBR drat.

It's truly a long, roundabout journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Steel Ball run is the best non Diamond is Unbreakable Jojo. Go read it now then weep to yourself numerous times.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Iserlohn posted:

Eh, he fared a little better than Avdol, I thought.

yeah Avdol gets what, two fights after he gets back? Three maybe if you count Kenny G? Kind of sad when a dog's getting more screen time than you

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gyro > Palawanicus > Caesar >Will

Okuyasu is the best BroJo though.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
So I'm rereading Part 4 and I just realized something...when Angelo's Stand was trapped in the bottle and he was trying to get out, why didn't he just run away until he was out of range of his Stand?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

So I'm rereading Part 4 and I just realized something...when Angelo's Stand was trapped in the bottle and he was trying to get out, why didn't he just run away until he was out of range of his Stand?

He's an idiot.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

So much for that 160 IQ.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

So much for that 160 IQ.

Alternate answer: his stand is small and so he'd have to run far as hell to get his stand to disappear

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Why did Josuke swallow a rubber glove? How did he do all the things he did while having a rubber glove lodged in his throat to the point of it being watertight?

I dunno, it's just really drat cool and that's the only thing that matters.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

Aurain posted:

I dunno, it's just really drat cool and that's the only thing that matters.

jojosbizarreadventure.txt

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

So much for that 160 IQ.

When I first read Diamond is Unbreakable, I thought Araki was building up Angelo to be the main villain of the arc, but as it turns out no, some punk kid with a guitar was more of a main villain than he was.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Diamond is Unbreakable was weird at first because it was kind of a post-script part and I don't think Araki was completely sure of how he wanted it to go until like halfway through where it became kind of a murderer investigation.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It didn't even become that. It's pretty clear he didn't know what he wanted from the story at several points, which is why it is one of the best because it just doesn't give a gently caress. Josuke's gonna fight a Man in Radio Tower this week? All right. Yo are those some Rats with long range cannons beating Star Platinum? Sure. This cat almost killed the main villain. Why not?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I would have been okay with Part 4 just going on forever.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Butt Ghost posted:

Steel Ball run is the best non Diamond is Unbreakable Jojo. Go read it now then weep to yourself numerous times.

I'm continuing my read of it now, and I think I've gotten to the truly "bizarre" part (other than everything else). That part with the president's wife came off as weirder than like anything else, for some reason.

Also, I really like Lucy Steel, but I wish there wasn't this stupidly creepy baggage surrounding her character in general.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For a teenager with no superpower, Lucy was an unstoppable BAMF

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No superpower until she got the "is now Jesus" power-up anyway.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
My favorite part of Steel Ball Run is Gyro telling an awful joke and Johnny being a sarcastic dick about it, but Gyro never catching on.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I refuse to read the scene that way.
Johnny was taken back by the joke and praised Gyro on his wordplay.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Johnny is a very sarcastic dick. I mean, Josuke's hair is just soooooo good. Wow.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Yeah, one of the most fun parts is how Gryo and Johnny are such good pals, even though they only just met. I prefer them just being two huge dorks.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Friends are the people you can be sarcastic to the most.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Same. Johnny totally loved that joke.
I didn't, I read it over a good thousand times and still don't get it.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
The Pizza Mozarella Exchange is the funniest page in any manga ever, imo

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Momomo posted:

Yeah, one of the most fun parts is how Gryo and Johnny are such good pals, even though they only just met. I prefer them just being two huge dorks.
By the time of the opera singer joke, Gyro even tells Johnny he's beginning to understand his sense of humor. :)

Perigryn fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jan 5, 2015

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Aurain posted:

Same. Johnny totally loved that joke.
I didn't, I read it over a good thousand times and still don't get it.

The "Let me pass" joke he tells to the horse? It only makes sense in Japanese. Which is a bit funny given that Gyro is Italian and all.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Johnny is into women with bug bites.

I love you Johnny but what the hell man?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gyro would have wrecked Dio's poo poo.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
What if like the Ripple's sun-powers kills vampires, the spin's aesthetics-powers kills characters drawn in Araki's pre-fab artstyle.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Gyro would have wrecked Dio's poo poo.

He would get domed by space ripper stingy eyes, no chance. Only the ripple works on vampires

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

He would get domed by space ripper stingy eyes, no chance. Only the ripple works on vampires

Even though Dio could take a ton of hits, he still needs blood to recover from serious injuries. I don't know how many steel balls the dude could take before Gyro could just wait until sunrise and toss him outside.

Also Dio couldn't kill Jonathan with those dumb eye lasers so I don't know what he could do against the infinitely better Gyro. :colbert:

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Vampires aren't immune to normal attacks like Stands are, I'm sure Gyro could smash Dio's skull like Jotaro did.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Also Dio couldn't kill Jonathan with those dumb eye lasers so I don't know what he could do against the infinitely better Gyro. :colbert:

Well technically, he did. He didn't die instantly, but he eventually died from the eye lasers piercing his lungs. Gyro would probably use the spin though to deflect the lasers back at Dio or something before just pounding his skull in and causing brain damage.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

ChaosArgate posted:

Well technically, he did. He didn't die instantly, but he eventually died from the eye lasers piercing his lungs. Gyro would probably use the spin though to deflect the lasers back at Dio or something before just pounding his skull in and causing brain damage.

I thought Jonathan just allowed himself to finally be one with Dio.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I thought the Steel Balls were related to the ripple, if not the opposite the way the ripple works. Like it'd send out the opposite vibrations through the target instead of outwards the

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I thought the Steel Balls were related to the ripple, if not the opposite the way the ripple works. Like it'd send out the opposite vibrations through the target instead of outwards the

Chapter 42.5 of SBR basically draws a parallel between ripple and steel balls/rotation.

That's the little "this is what a stand is" chapter.
A version of that chapter with the more spoilery bits blanked out would be great for explaining stands to newbies to JoJo.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
DIO would chill the air and slow the rotation of the ball, making the spin imperfect. He would also kill Gyro's horse and eat it.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

He would also kill Gyro's horse and eat it.

No he'd just stuff a serial killer into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Maybe he'd sew a parakeet's head onto it after the serial killer is done with it.

• Locked thread