Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!
Thanks for making a new PC club. I just applied to LGSA as utahisnotastate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Kin posted:

I did the entire northern half of the map then finished the game before giving up.

Annoyingly, some sections in the north still say I've got 7/8 chests even though I've picked all the ones up that were on the map. So either you have to pass near one for them to show up (and not just rely on climbing the viewpoint) or as per typical Ubisoft fashion, it's bugged.

That's how low trust is with Ubisoft, you can't tell if something is a deliberately annoying design or if it's a bug.

You have to pass near collectibles to uncover them on the map. For 150 Helix points (lol), you can uncover all. Same goes for Paris Stories and Murder Mysteries.

Finished it yesterday, did most of the optional stuff and enjoyed it overall, so here's my thoughts:

- The size and detail of Paris is absolutely incredible. The cities were always the real protagonists in AC games, but Paris outshines all the previous cities.

- Main story is meh, but that's true for every AC. I liked Élise, but Arno is pretty bland.

- I really liked the side content. Most of the Paris Stories are voice-acted and reference actual people and events, the Murder Mysteries were a nice change of pace, and I only played the easiest few co-op missions (because gently caress playing with pubbies), but those looked really good as well.

- I think making combat harder so that "murder everyone by spamming counter" is no longer the only approach is a sound idea in principle, but in practice the way to approach combat in Unity is "level up your character and gear, then murder everyone by spamming smoke bombs".

- Stealth is, again, one step forward and one step back. Having a poorly implemented cover-based stealth system is still better than having none at all, but it really needs to improve for the next game.

- Initiates / Nomad / Microtransactions nonsense just need to stop. Ugh.

- I didn't have too many technical issues with the 1.4 patch. Most annoying by far was the crowd pop-in which is incredibly obvious. Every so often the game would lock up for several seconds as well, but this happened rarely. Then there's the usual open-world gank like physics issues, but I'm not too bothered by those.

Overall it's an average to below-average AC game which desperately needed to be released a couple months later.

IMHO:

Black Flag/Brotherhood > 2 > Unity > Revelations > 1 > 3

beer_war fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jan 4, 2015

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

UtahIsNotAState posted:

Thanks for making a new PC club. I just applied to LGSA as utahisnotastate.

I accidentally rejected you. I forgot that there was a new page in the thread, and I couldn't skip applications.

UtahIsNotAState
Jun 27, 2006

Dick will make you slap somebody!

ayn rand hand job posted:

I accidentally rejected you. I forgot that there was a new page in the thread, and I couldn't skip applications.

No big deal, but somehow it managed to kick me out? I reapplied to the club just now.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I applied for the club as palpek.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Kin posted:

I did the entire northern half of the map then finished the game before giving up.

Annoyingly, some sections in the north still say I've got 7/8 chests even though I've picked all the ones up that were on the map. So either you have to pass near one for them to show up (and not just rely on climbing the viewpoint) or as per typical Ubisoft fashion, it's bugged.

That's how low trust is with Ubisoft, you can't tell if something is a deliberately annoying design or if it's a bug.
Correct you have to pass close by to detect them. Alternatively you can pay for collectible maps with real world cash monies in the ingame shop. This is pretty scummy of them to do this but that's Ubisoft for you.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lollerich posted:

Correct you have to pass close by to detect them. Alternatively you can pay for collectible maps with real world cash monies in the ingame shop. This is pretty scummy of them to do this but that's Ubisoft for you.

I'm not sure what gives it to you, but you do get some small amount of helix points in game. I've had like 1200 and I never spent a dime to purchase any. It's more than enough to cover the maps.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I spent 0 real dollars and unlocked the map with chests and cockades.

Anyone on ps4 want to do some sync takedowns? I need 10 to platinum this game and I don't think I will be getting 100% completion because the dumb collectables in helix missions are really bad.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

beer_war posted:

Overall it's an average to below-average AC game which desperately needed to be released a couple months later.

The big problem for the franchise is that it's a below-average AC game when the series needed to pull something great off to stay relevant.

The Arkham games have been outclassing it in terms of combat for years. Stealth games have moved far beyond the rudimentary stealth found in Unity. It tries to do a lot and it does all of it poorly, aside from the city itself.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

julian assflange posted:

My Arno freezes after I access Uplay mid game and then come back. The world keeps going but no buttons work on the pad. Most odd.

It's a dumb bug, but I think it happened to me last night. If we ran into the same problem, you can still bring up the world map and fast travel, after which you'll be able to move normally.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

jneer posted:

The big problem for the franchise is that it's a below-average AC game when the series needed to pull something great off to stay relevant.

The Arkham games have been outclassing it in terms of combat for years. Stealth games have moved far beyond the rudimentary stealth found in Unity. It tries to do a lot and it does all of it poorly, aside from the city itself.

Perhaps if they didn't force an annual release (or in this case 2 games at the same time), they'd have enough time to properly assess what is and isn't working in the series and get it into a fit enough state to be good.

As it is, it seems like some people are really really forgiving of the AC franchise without realising it's more meh to bad than good as a whole. Even the oft touted amazing game AC4 is only good because it's a pirate simulator rather than an AC game and almost all of the stuff outside of commanding a ship is a massive chore.

Basically, Ubisoft lucked out with Ezio/AC2/Brotherhood and since then have been stretching the goodwill the earned with that really thinly with massive marketing budgets and games that are shiny rather than good.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Apllied as JWRK.

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

Kin posted:

As it is, it seems like some people are really really forgiving of the AC franchise without realising it's more meh to bad than good as a whole. Even the oft touted amazing game AC4 is only good because it's a pirate simulator rather than an AC game and almost all of the stuff outside of commanding a ship is a massive chore.

I'd go as far as to say that without the ship combat AC4 would have been the worst game in the series. I don't think an AC game has ever had as many tailing missions as it did.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

jneer posted:

I'd go as far as to say that without the ship combat AC4 would have been the worst game in the series. I don't think an AC game has ever had as many tailing missions as it did.

Yeah but the ship combat was the whole point of AC4. That's like saying without the Nemesis system Shadow of Mordor would've been awful.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

macnbc posted:

Yeah but the ship combat was the whole point of AC4. That's like saying without the Nemesis system Shadow of Mordor would've been awful.

Wasn't that severely scaled down in the 360/PS3 version making it hilariously garbage?

jneer
Aug 31, 2006

Mush Mushi!

macnbc posted:

Yeah, but the other half of AC4 is the core AC experience of running around a city doing stuff. There's no excuse for getting that wrong after 6 or 7 iterations of the same formula.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

TARDISman posted:

Wasn't that severely scaled down in the 360/PS3 version making it hilariously garbage?
Yeah, there's way fewer variables so you keep getting the same bunch of orcs with generic threats over and over. It also runs at 10-20 fps on the PS3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3IkJ4YwukU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

beer_war posted:

- I think making combat harder so that "murder everyone by spamming counter" is no longer the only approach is a sound idea in principle, but in practice the way to approach combat in Unity is "level up your character and gear, then murder everyone by spamming smoke bombs".

- Stealth is, again, one step forward and one step back. Having a poorly implemented cover-based stealth system is still better than having none at all, but it really needs to improve for the next game.

What I did was go straight for unlocking as many cafe places and whatnot as I could, as early as possible. Then I just saved up and got myself the Cinquedeas. From there on I just kept having money rolling in through the cafes and doing all the side stuff. Half my gear was Legendary before starting Sequence 4 and it made going through this bland rear end story a lot easier than it would have been ordinarily, even with a bunch of skills locked behind the Sequence 5 gate.

As for stealth, like someone else stated pages earlier, I don't get how they have a team that can turn out amazing stealth such as Splinter Cell Blacklist, but then have their team gently caress it up so badly in what is their flagship franchise.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The problem with AC Unity seems to be that they haven't really significantly changed the stealth gameplay since Assassins Creed II. When they first made stealth like that it hadn't been done a lot and was pretty revolutionary. The problem is a lot of other games have taken that kind of gameplay and improved it (Shadow of Mordor and the Arkham series comes to mind) and the AC series just hasn't kept up.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Argh goddammit. Got back from break and tried to launch Unity to open those gold chests. Except only problem is after the patch the drat thing freezes as soon as I get to the title screen! Like I'll see the Assassin's Creed Unity logo and I'll move my cursor around for a few seconds and then bam, not responding. I've already verified the files twice, this is incredibly loving annoying.

E: Had to delete the my documents AC Unity folder. works now at least though.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 4, 2015

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Argh goddammit. Got back from break and tried to launch Unity to open those gold chests. Except only problem is after the patch the drat thing freezes as soon as I get to the title screen! Like I'll see the Assassin's Creed Unity logo and I'll move my cursor around for a few seconds and then bam, not responding. I've already verified the files twice, this is incredibly loving annoying.

I had the same issue I went to the Unity folder in my documents folder and deleted the ini files it let me in after that.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

socialsecurity posted:

I had the same issue I went to the Unity folder in my documents folder and deleted the ini files it let me in after that.

Yep! Just figured that out haha.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The problem with AC Unity seems to be that they haven't really significantly changed the stealth gameplay since Assassins Creed II. When they first made stealth like that it hadn't been done a lot and was pretty revolutionary. The problem is a lot of other games have taken that kind of gameplay and improved it (Shadow of Mordor and the Arkham series comes to mind) and the AC series just hasn't kept up.

Shadows is a literal copy of AC stealth starting with AC3.

There is barely any actual stealth in the Arkham games, short of the predator rooms, but those aren't something that lends itself well to IPs not named "Batman".

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Black Flag also had an excellent lead character - the pacing is a bit wonky (the middle section is Nassau is just mushy), but Edward is well written and a great lead to hang the game on.

The ending, with parting glass playing and all of your departed friends around the table, followed by Edward meeting his daughter - that's as genuinely emotional as the series has ever been.

What's the first thing Edward does? He saves Stede Bonnet and pals around with him. He's instantly likable.

Whats the first thing Arno does? Watch his father figure die. Twice. And faff about with some idiots or something.

Honestly I was too distracted by the jerky glitchy crowds to get absorbed in anything. The random and constant resetting of crowd NPC models, mixed in with terrible pop-in really were not ready for primetime.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Narcissus1916 posted:

What's the first thing Edward does? He saves Stede Bonnet and pals around with him. He's instantly likable.

Whats the first thing Arno does? Watch his father figure die. Twice. And faff about with some idiots or something.

The first thing Ezio does is get beat up in a fight :colbert:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The first thing Ezio does is get beat up in a fight :colbert:

That only happens if you're not 1337 and didn't kick their asses first.

CheGayvara
Oct 30, 2010
It's good that ayn rand hand job can accept people too since sometimes work and life get in the way. Did you get Kylelll as well?

I sent everyone who posted in the thread a friend request on uplay so please accept so I can see the member list properly. All I see is Adhinko ten times, or whoever joined the club last which makes it hard to tell who has been added or not. This also prevents me from adding people to co op in at least some instances. I can also invite myself to co-op with myself, although nothing happens when I do this which is probably a good thing.

Also send a uplay friend request to CheGxvara when you ask to join the club because I can sometimes miss names (getting the right Skoll took a couple guesses).

I have requests from crash822, lada420, rooby50 and RaveJester so please post in this thread if you are reading this and send me a uplay friend request.

Finally, why aren't there any horses in this game? I see carriages and some soldiers in cavalry uniform but no horses??

To reiterate, add me as a friend on uplay and if you are also experiencing the name spam bug add everyone who has joined in this thread as a friend on uplay as well. I also experienced this when I wasn't the leader of a club so if you are joining a club for the first time just have a look at the member list in game to be sure.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think there's no horses because the entire game is literally confined to Paris and city streets. It's a lot faster to go by rooftop anywhere than it would be galloping around on a horse.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Skoll posted:

I think there's no horses because the entire game is literally confined to Paris and city streets. It's a lot faster to go by rooftop anywhere than it would be galloping around on a horse.

Gonna need to assassinate people by car in the next one.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

hiddenriverninja posted:

Gonna need to assassinate people by car in the next one.

Drive-by air assassinations give you 250 assassin rank points. The one where you hide in parked cars like bales of hay only gives a paltry 50, though.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Since I Saw someone else say it I started another good club on the PS4 version of Unity. The club name is GoonBabyGoon and the Goon Tag (fi you need it) is GBG0. Please post in here or send me a message if you ask for an invite so I know that you are part of the forums. I don't really know how the clubs work but i'm on a lot so I guess that's a plus haha.

Sorry forgot to mention that my PSN ID is TheBoatmansFerry

RenegadeStyle1 fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 5, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Heh. Seriously though, the british accents are so goddamn terrible. Young Arno sounds like Oliver Twist, for gently caress's sake.

They're not terrible performances, but its just all wrong for the world they've tried to build. And the actual writing is not good, in the slightest.

Its also hilarious that Ubisoft had the whole "we can't animate boobs!" controversy, and then proceeds to write Elise with far more personality and motivation than the protagonist.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I don't understand using british accents. I liked the Italians accents in the AC2 games much better. I'm sure some people thought they weren't very good but at least you always knew that you were in Italy. Is it that hard to find voice actors who can do French accents?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I don't understand using british accents. I liked the Italians accents in the AC2 games much better. I'm sure some people thought they weren't very good but at least you always knew that you were in Italy. Is it that hard to find voice actors who can do French accents?

The ingame reason is that prior games were accurate depictions of history- the new games are bowdlerized cinematic versions of history made by the Templars.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Discendo Vox posted:

The ingame reason is that prior games were accurate depictions of history- the new games are bowdlerized cinematic versions of history made by the Templars.

So kind of how every depiction of the Roman empire talks in the same snooty British accent?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Discendo Vox posted:

They can bullshit up whatever they want, it still a stupid design decision when they could have hired any Pierre or Cécile off the street and there wouldn't be any drop in quality from the Mary Poppins Peasantry.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

hiddenriverninja posted:

So kind of how every depiction of the Roman empire talks in the same snooty British accent?

Bingo- there was already some discussion in the real world segments of AC4 at Abstergo Studios about replacing the voices of the people with heavy accents with people that were more "conventional".

Crabtree posted:

They can bullshit up whatever they want, it still a stupid design decision when they could have hired any Pierre or Cécile off the street and there wouldn't be any drop in quality from the Mary Poppins Peasantry.

It was likely intentional, for precisely this reason.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

In-universe explanation for a lovely design choice is still a lovely design choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadows is a literal copy of AC stealth starting with AC3.

There is barely any actual stealth in the Arkham games, short of the predator rooms, but those aren't something that lends itself well to IPs not named "Batman".

Shadows is a literal copy of Batman's stealth gameplay actually. Like to the point they reused the same controls and same interface and same quirky bits. It even has destructable walls despite them being entirely worthless because they recycled them from Batman.

• Locked thread