Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
had you ever considered that the problem might be you, wanting to go to the wrong places?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

buses loving suck

yes let me sit in traffic in less comfort than my car surrounded by other people

trains are p good tho

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

counterpoint: buses are pretty good.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

fart simpson posted:

counterpoint: buses are pretty good.

maybe in some bullshit hippy save the planet kinda way but as a means of transportation they blow

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Soricidus posted:

buses are good, but lol if u think anyone who is not poor, old, and/or minority ethnic will ever get on one

maybe in lovely cities with bad buses this is the case, in places with functioning transport networks they provide high frequency services between places which are not directly connected by train/tram lines

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

EVGA Longoria posted:

maybe in some bullshit hippy save the planet kinda way but as a means of transportation they blow

idk i often ride the bus to work and it's more comfortable and more convenient than the subway, because there's a lot more stops everywhere and i nearly always get a seat, and it only takes me about 15 minutes. an actual car takes 10 minutes so it's not really a big deal. also i ride the bus to my girlfriend's apartment and it takes about 25 minutes, wheras a taxi or a car takes about 20 minutes, plus that bus only costs like 50 cents

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.
if I was Google I would make the employees ride literal school buses. like yellow school buses.

the man children would love it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

rjmccall posted:

no number of hov lanes will make 101 through the valley not suck. it would probably still be overcrowded if you literally made it a double-decker all the way from 880 to redwood city

actually, does anybody ever do that? embrace our dystopian automobile-centric future by making a second layer of freeway going in the same direction just to reuse space? i guess you'd have to shut down the lower freeway completely while you built the upper deck, which would be pretty prohibitive

I35 through downtown Austin does this. it is an absolute clusterfuck at the places where the the upper and lower decks start and stop because of dumbasses trying to cut across the entire highway to be on the other deck or make the next exit.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

did this guy just quote and agree with himself

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
edinburgh has a good bus network, but then that "city" is rather tiny and oh god drat it you jerks you have me missing edinburgh again.

why is "it's not ugly" literally the best thing that can be said about the aesthetics of any american city. i guess i could say that about boston. living in new york and i'm surrounded by loving filth everywhere.

don't get me wrong i mean i moved to ny for a reason, and i have a career and some sort of social life now, but ugh its eyesore-ness makes me feel kinda miserable.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

As a Millennial I posted:

once (i do not remember where) i saw a poster disagree with their own post they quoted

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

once (i do not remember where) i saw a poster disagree with their own post they quoted

besides fishmech???

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Subway supremacy. Live by a subway stop, never go anywhere that isn't Subway accessible. Reclassify all urban roads as strictly for buses, commercial delivery, and maybe taxis. gently caress cars, gently caress car culture, gently caress our terrible cities

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

rjmccall posted:

but since this is silicon valley, we can achieve an equivalent measure of social value by carefully determining the peak usage hours and rigging the upper deck to collapse

lots of people died in the 1989 earthquake when a double decker freeway pancaked

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

and the replacement bridge is quickly turning out to be a poorly-manufactured piece of garbage, I feel safer using BART to cross the bay than drive

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The hov lanes around bay area are pointless because you can just get a leaf and use em whenever you want so everyone buys leafs to the point that the lanes aren't much faster than regular traffic. But hey mission accomplished on getting a bunch of people to buy electrics

Also traffic is terrible because housing is miserably expensive leading people to live more remotely. I have a few coworkers who are making bank on two programmer households and they still live in south sj in order to afford a house and kids so long commute it is. And if you're making the median income or less I dunno where you go maybe Tracy lmao

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i saw ads for random "saga" games and some random civ type games on TV when I was at my parents' house for Christmas and it was so confusing. is there any particular reason why the freemium app market hasn't imploded yet?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Shifty Pony posted:

i saw ads for random "saga" games and some random civ type games on TV when I was at my parents' house for Christmas and it was so confusing. is there any particular reason why the freemium app market hasn't imploded yet?

it is imploding, the fact you're seeing ads means they're desperate

the thing is that 2 days of revenue is equivalent to a national ad campaign

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bloody posted:

Subway supremacy. Live by a subway stop, never go anywhere that isn't Subway accessible. Reclassify all urban roads as strictly for buses, commercial delivery, and maybe taxis. gently caress cars, gently caress car culture, gently caress our terrible cities

i live right by a subway stop and they're constructing a new subway stop even closer, right outside the lobby of my apartment building. i also live near like 5 or 6 bus stops within a 5 minute walk, and those open me up to even more transportation possibilities. basically what im saying is if i were king i would outlaw private car ownership.

shenzhen's starting to take baby steps toward that now, actually. last year the city government promised they'd never have private car registration caps or anything, and this year they're already implementing them and banning cars from other cities, who now need a special permit or something to even enter the city limits. next step is hopefully the seizure of all privately owned cars to be repurposed as public taxis with a voucher system for residents to get a certain number of free taxi rides per month, or something

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

hot drat

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it's me, i'm the person raising a family in a loving apartment

but hey at least i can take the subway to work!

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

fritz posted:

lots of people died in the 1989 earthquake when a double decker freeway pancaked

if by "lots" you mean 42, sure. lol if you're not casually desensitized to death and aren't willing to wish it on tens of thousands of people just because some of them might be part of a social group you enjoy mocking despite it substantially overlapping with your own social circles

also that bit of freeway was a classic "let's gently caress up this entire neighborhood by running an elevated highway through the middle" design, and west oakland is better off without it

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 4, 2015

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

they are imploding. that's why they're showing ads, the one game they had that went viral has pretty much died off and now they're trying desperately to recapture that before they collapse, shoveling out crap game after crap game and advertising like crazy in hopes of somehow getting another hit

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Dog posted:

apartment living doesn't seem that terrible except hardly anyone actually builds apartments for families

i'll probably end up doing what my parents did which is live in an apartment until the first kid is a year old and then move to a real house

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

its me, im every family in new york city and the boston area especially those that are not comically rich

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

its me, im every family in new york city and the boston area especially those that are not comically rich

implying that this is somehow a desirable state of affairs

i was born in the soviet union and i lived with my parents and my father's grandmother in a very small apartment (it was technically her apartment, that's why we had it "to ourselves". the waiting list for your own apartment was 30 years long or some poo poo like that) with two tiny bedrooms. my great-grandmother had her own room and the three of us got the other one.

then shortly after i turned five we ptfo'ed out to england. tbf i didn't really care at the time because, like, i was less than five years old. i mean i barely remember any of it and most of this was explained to me long after the fact.

so ok gj we're doing about as well as the former soviet union in terms of worker housing

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

As a Millennial I posted:

lmao

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Mr Dog posted:

beats living an rv

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Main Paineframe posted:

they are imploding. that's why they're showing ads, the one game they had that went viral has pretty much died off and now they're trying desperately to recapture that before they collapse, shoveling out crap game after crap game and advertising like crazy in hopes of somehow getting another hit

the thing that gets me about king is that they exist entirely at the whim of apple and Google.

all it would take is Apple to revise the app store rules to prohibit consumable in app purchases and there goes their revenue.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the best one is the one that uses wigwam fyi

second best would be boom beach and its cheerful nihilism

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Soricidus posted:

had you ever considered that the problem might be you, wanting to go to the wrong places?

no i will not consider this, and that is why i drive a car

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Shifty Pony posted:

these types of games are all starting to advertise during football playoffs too and i wonder the same thing. there are a lot of whales out there i guess :shrug:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 36 minutes!

EVGA Longoria posted:

buses loving suck

yes let me sit in traffic in less comfort than my car surrounded by other people

trains are p good tho

Hahaha, hey, look at this really important guy who is too important to be surrounded by other people. lol

Apr 7, 2003
Probation
I'm the pathological fear of other people.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Citizen Tayne posted:

I'm the healthy fear of other people.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

building more roads leads to more traffic and not faster driving, this is 150% documented

look at the 405 in LA, it's slower since they widened it

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
buses are really good and it's a drat shame that so many people and even supposed transit "advocates" are dead set against them. there is a large group here that wants to spend $1 billion on LRT that would serve only a tiny, tiny amount of people when the same amount of money could develop BRT that would serve every friggin' exurb on the peninsula and then some.

Apr 7, 2003
Probation

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

buses are really good and it's a drat shame that so many people and even supposed transit "advocates" are dead set against them. there is a large group here that wants to spend $1 billion on LRT that would serve only a tiny, tiny amount of people when the same amount of money could develop BRT that would serve every friggin' exurb on the peninsula and then some.

So, how rich is that tiny, tiny amount of people who would be served by LRT, and what are their melatonin levels?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

a real brt that would actually work would also cost a billion for dedicated rights of way. brts don't get built because they're only very marginally cheaper than rail.

nobody cares about shaving 10% off of existing bus routes with special lanes or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Mr Dog posted:

big deal, so are billions of other people

• Locked thread