Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh nevermind then it's totally cool that he didn't rehearse or write down any opening remarks for an event that has historically raised over half a million dollars. I didn't realize you needed to be paid to do something to practice it!

he wasn't even supposed to be the guy who opened the event, uyama was. last minute changes and poo poo, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

the Gaffe posted:

This is super minor but I work in the audio industry. The handheld mic should be an SM58, not an SM57. The 58 would prevent handling noise and the puffs of air people keep doing by talking directly into the microphone.

That said everything else is amazing and a huge improvement. Spikevegeta is top tier commentator.

Agreed--Vegeta is doing a great job

Sir Tonk posted:

Have you ever spoken on live TV without a teleprompter?

Yes. I also regularly speak at conferences.

Cubey posted:

he wasn't even supposed to be the guy who opened the event, uyama was.

Yeah, not the ideal scenario--I get that he wasn't supposed to be the guy doing the intro. But that doesn't mean he couldn't have say, a card with a list of sponsors to thank on it so he doesn't almost forget Twitch, for example.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
The layout it much smarter this year, and the graphics are less obtrusive. Very impressive!

E: What happened with Uyama? I thought romscout was only doing SGDQ.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

TheChirurgeon posted:

Agreed--Vegeta is doing a great job

Yeah, not the ideal scenario--I get that he wasn't supposed to be the guy doing the intro. But that doesn't mean he couldn't have say, a card with a list of sponsors to thank on it so he doesn't almost forget Twitch, for example.

I think you should host next year.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
drat, this opening run is great. What a good choice.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
Layout is far better this year but gotta agree with the guy above, the popping is kinda bad, hope they fix that in the future.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Get hosed yoshi.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

androo posted:

E: What happened with Uyama? I thought romscout was only doing SGDQ.
He's been sick for a couple of weeks.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TheChirurgeon posted:

Of course you do. I've been doing radio and TV for like a decade and it isn't something that everyone can just do without plenty of practice. To expect RomScout to effortlessly pull off something like that effortlessly is absurd and your attack on him was uncalled for. He mentioned all the important sponsors and intro'd the event, what else do you want from a charity function?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
So can someone tell these retards that coughing even for a joke is really bad when they do it directly into the loving mic.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

Of course you do. I've been doing radio and TV for like a decade and it isn't something that everyone can just do without plenty of practice. To expect RomScout to effortlessly pull off something like that effortlessly is absurd and your attack on him was uncalled for. He mentioned all the important sponsors and intro'd the event, what else do you want from a charity function?

who cares

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Since I moaned about the lighting of the room last year I think I also need to give props for it being way, way better as seen through the stream this time around. This really is off to a good start.

So much hype!

Edit: Also, those skip/optimization names.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
"There's a really specific audio cue coming up..."

*entire couch plus runner cough loudly*

Would have been funnier if the donation reader didn't start reading a donation right in the middle of it

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Sir Tonk posted:

Never underestimate a goon's ability to poo poo on something from on high no matter what.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Crotch Bat posted:

So can someone tell these retards that coughing even for a joke is really bad when they do it directly into the loving mic.

I turned up my volume to listen to that level's music :cripes:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

the Gaffe posted:

This is super minor but I work in the audio industry. The handheld mic should be an SM58, not an SM57. The 58 would prevent handling noise and the puffs of air people keep doing by talking directly into the microphone.

I thought fake SM5Xs were the ones with handling noise of a pain in the aft kind, when otherwise they are not that far apart from each other in recent official builds? A big foam ball on top would help the puffs and people would have to used to speaking in contact with it (on-field radio like) for an overall more comfortable couch-commentary system, buuuut I know at least one runner has the flu :v:

(I'd loving love a donation reading system that knew when it was okay to speak though.)
(And why were nobody reminded there that sudden loud sounds into microphones are bad and should never be done? That mixer they've had for a year could take care of that problem but eh alright)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 4, 2015

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

This is the first time I've watched this, it's kind of fun but I don't understand any in joke at all, kinda happy the host explains them. The coughing was retarded though, don't do that.

I am secretly hoping one will be boring enough to put me to sleep though. I love not sleeping.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

The layout this year is very nice. Clean, unobtrusive, and the audience view is well-framed.

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

The guy on the left sounds just like Moshe Kasher, it's freaking my ears out.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
Wow, $10k already

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

MrLonghair posted:

I thought fake SM5Xs were the ones with handling noise of a pain in the aft kind, when otherwise they are not that far apart from each other in recent official builds? A big foam ball on top would help the puffs and people would have to used to speaking in contact with it (on-field radio like) for an overall more comfortable couch-commentary system, buuuut I know at least one runner has the flu :v:

If I read correctly you think that an SM57 and SM58 are simply the same microphone but the 58 is a newer version. They're completely different microphones for different purposes, the SM58 is specifically designed to be a handheld microphone with a built-in wind screen.

The SM57 is more designed to record instruments with a high SPL level since it's a dynamic microphone (it works via a metal coil that vibrates to transfer the sound, much harder to break). The SM57 is most often the microphone used to record the snare drum in a drum kit.

I don't know why I felt like explaining all this.

MrLonghair posted:

(And why were nobody reminded there that sudden loud sounds into microphones are bad and should never be done? That mixer they've had for a year could take care of that problem but eh alright)
The easiest way to fix this is by putting a limiter on the master bus. The limiter would compress down the audio the moment it goes above a set threshold, preventing the audio from clipping and breaking my ears.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Heavy_D posted:

Ideas you have too late for agdq: wsplit running during the marathon, with splits for donations landmarks

$10,000_____03:21:56
$50,000_____10:12:00
$1,000,000_167:43:23

(getting the actual times from agdq2014, rather than made up values, is where thinking of it in advance would have helped...)

Then you could have it running as something to switch to during set-up times, and obviously split each time the 2015 total reaches a milestone.

I'm a day late but I really like this idea

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

SM58s are the best. Best road mic. Best mic to accidentally run over with a car.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Dang, he missed a strat that SpikeVegeta was hyping up for like 2 minutes. I didn't really mind it though, Spike did a good job of reiterating how hard it was, and in the grand scheme of the marathon it's good to temper expectations a little so the really amazing poo poo stands out even more.

This run has been great so far, good commentary and great visuals

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Too bad Spike can't commentate 24/7, dude is a pro.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

timp posted:

I'm a day late but I really like this idea

This is really what GDQMonitor should be showing, instead of bad jokes.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

A... God Cranky? :what:

These guys aren't creative at naming things but love naming them, huh?

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg

Propaganda Hour posted:

SM58s are the best. Best road mic. Best mic to accidentally run over with a car.

Fun fact - when they introduced the SM58 they demonstrated its strength by hammering in a nail with it, then continuing to give the presentation with the same microphone.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
trip report: this run owns

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spudd posted:

they need something to refer them as besides 'that thing where cranky...'

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
This run is great. There are so many things happening that I didn't know you could do at all. I didn't even know you could skip on the water.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Spudd posted:

Someone explain the full halfie super metroid skip

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

flatluigi posted:

:psyboom:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Spike Vegeta really needs to commentate more things.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

Something about a dashing strat that originally cleared half of a room, so they called it the halfie, but then they found a way to start the dash sooner and reposition it so that it clears the whole room, thus full halfie

Or something like that, I'm sure someone else will explain it in more detail. Anyways full halfie is actually a really smart and funny name

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.
The reddit thread with vod links is up now:
http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/2ra5rw/agdq_vods_thread_2015/

Unfortunately it might not be that useful this year as the vods are already getting muted.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Spudd posted:

In some game they figured out a glitch that could only be done in the right side, named it "Right side glitch". Then after a while they found out it could be done on the left side as well and that one was named "Reverse right side glitch"

The names weren't those but you get the idea. I can't remember the details.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I was always under the impression that a SM57 and a SM58 had the same guts, the only physical difference being the grill and where the capsule is located. Putting some foam in the 57 would reduce the pops, which is the main problem here right now.

But yeah, the sound and the layout are all much better this year, props.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just hope this year that the "setting up for next game" splash screen, you know, says what game is being set up.

The sound balancing with the applause seems much, much better balanced this time around. Previous years I had my sound cranked all the way up wherever I was watching to hear people speak, then an applause break/big laugh would make my head explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

beep by grandpa posted:

I just hope this year that the "setting up for next game" splash screen, you know, says what game is being set up.

The sound balancing with the applause seems much, much better balanced this time around. Previous years I had my sound cranked all the way up wherever I was watching to hear people speak, then an applause break/big laugh would make my head explode.

They've been flashing an "Up Next:" banner every now and then which is a really nice addition this year.

btw Wario Land 4 is up next

• Locked thread