Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I guess I'll give it another go. I want to be from Angola, because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I was disappointed Wrexham didn't hire an American manager today. Their time isn't here yet I guess.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

habeasdorkus posted:

Congratulations to Brony Hunter! All hail our new president!

There are also two new Managing Directors on the board, giving the club six in total. Poor TheMcD is the only regular Director left.

If you want on the board, let me know and let me know which nation you'd like to hail from. If you were on the board recently you're probably still on the board, that goes for TheMcD, Torak Fade, Ghostwoods, ThePenIsMightier, and Rogue0071.

I don't know if there's still room, but I'd like to be another American on the board!

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'd love to be on the board LionYeti from the usa

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
I'm happy to still be on the board, but if you want to dismiss me to make room for someone else, then hell, go for it. Maybe I'll turn up running Prestwick or something :)

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I am always late but I'll channel my intense Canadian passion for hockey onto the pitch if I'm elected! Free donuts for everyone!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
First come first serve! JT Jag and berryjon join the board. You may now blame them for any failures!

A Platinum Turtle
Jul 7, 2010
Really enjoying the LP, finally caught up!

One thing from one update back though:

"habeasdorkus" posted:

Roma's last minute stroke of luck makes for the only real surprise advancement out of the group stage. Wrexham ties with Dortmund and Atletico as the only undefeated teams, though I'd say our performance is more impressive considering who we beat.

You missed one other team that went undefeated... Though I'm not sure if you did that on purpose, as it's, well...

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Any insight into why Stoke have imploded? Even for FM it seems pretty unrealistic for a team to go from qualifying for the Europa League to gently caress all games won. Still, 17 seasons (2008-09 to 2025-26) is nothing to frown at.

Kingal
May 29, 2013

Pantsuit posted:

Any insight into why Stoke have imploded? Even for FM it seems pretty unrealistic for a team to go from qualifying for the Europa League to gently caress all games won. Still, 17 seasons (2008-09 to 2025-26) is nothing to frown at.

It's entirely possible that playing in Europe for the first time a team struggles due to the travel involved midweek (where they would usually be training), quite often the games in the Europa League involve travelling to eastern Europe or even turkey for games which takes a toll on fitness. Also Stoke might have a smaller squad so their players could be struggling with playing more games with a shorter rest between them. it's actually quite common to have teams that are relatively inexperienced in Europe to struggle the season after they qualify because they are not used to having to play in Europe as often as they do. It's one of the reasons you either see the same teams qualify for European competition or a club qualify the once and then disappear. This can also happen with clubs making deep runs in domestic competitions such as the F.A. Cup.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So would that make it a viable strategy to deliberately sabotage your runs in those competitions until your team is deep enough to handle them?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Most teams don't tank in the NBA basketball sense (for non-Americans, the worst teams in the league get a better chance at the first pick in the Draft, so it's not uncommon for teams to deliberately try to lose to increase their chance at the best players), because prize money increases every step in the league and every round in the cups, so you get more money to sign better players, etc.

However, for a megabastard, such prize money is largely irrelevant, especially in competitions like the League Cup. It's why they run out youngsters. If they win, great, if you get far enough bring in the big guys to get the cup. If they lose, it's less fixture congestion and more focus on the prizes that DO matter.

It really depends on what the team's focus is in. For example, Manchester United last year, their fans were ecstatic they didn't qualify for the Europa League because it was irrelevant to their goals- a league title (or at least a Top 4 finish) and a berth in the Champions League. The prize money is peanuts compared to what they bring in. Pocket change.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

habeasdorkus posted:

I don't know, tbh. I'm not sure how the rivalry flag works in the coding.

Who was it who asked that I make Colwyn Bay into a hockey fan's paradise and give them a sugar daddy a few years back, btw?

It seems to be working.

Hahahahaha!

Trundel knows exactly where to put the money, foolish islanders! The Sky Bet will fall to the might of Football Suban and Football Chara. Ice football will reign supreme!

Kind of fell off the thread for a while, and was a little too ecstatic reading through the backlog and seeing this. Do any of the hockey players turned footballers still play there?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

The Sandman posted:

So would that make it a viable strategy to deliberately sabotage your runs in those competitions until your team is deep enough to handle them?

Yeah. In-game, once I'm in Europe, I try to get enough players to be able to field 2 strong teams. One for European/Cup games and one for League matches. If you don't, and you have deep runs in those competitions, you can easily find that your league form starts tanking thanks to fatigue and injuries from playing all those games.
When I'm moving up the leagues, though, it's back-up and young players all the way in the cups.

Still, it could be worse. You could be managing in Brazil, where a season can stretch to 80 First Team games.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Kingal posted:

It's entirely possible that playing in Europe for the first time a team struggles due to the travel involved midweek (where they would usually be training), quite often the games in the Europa League involve travelling to eastern Europe or even turkey for games which takes a toll on fitness. Also Stoke might have a smaller squad so their players could be struggling with playing more games with a shorter rest between them. it's actually quite common to have teams that are relatively inexperienced in Europe to struggle the season after they qualify because they are not used to having to play in Europe as often as they do. It's one of the reasons you either see the same teams qualify for European competition or a club qualify the once and then disappear. This can also happen with clubs making deep runs in domestic competitions such as the F.A. Cup.

Fair enough, but I got in the CL with my first season as Stoke and we still managed to win games and stay up the following season. gently caress knows, the Prem in FM isn't exactly realistic anyway.

Kingal
May 29, 2013

Pantsuit posted:

Fair enough, but I got in the CL with my first season as Stoke and we still managed to win games and stay up the following season. gently caress knows, the Prem in FM isn't exactly realistic anyway.

how big was your squad? In my experience Human players in FM generally have a big enough squad to challenge both in Europe and domestically (probably because we've all experienced one of those insane injury crises where 4-5 of you first team get injured in the space of a few weeks) whereas i think the A.I might struggle with that a bit. In terms of the real world i'm pretty sure it's actually a thing, at least i've heard them talk about it on Match Of the Day (though how accurate anything said on MOTD is subjective) say you play on a sunday, then have a european game on thursday and then that's followed by a game on saturday and you have to try and fit the travel flights or coaches depending on how far) and training between all of them it can get pretty tiring. It's a lot like the fixture congestion teams can get towards the end of the season because of postponed or rescheduled matches due to european/cup fixtures and bad weather/waterlogged pitch except i think it's slightly easier to deal with. In the lower leagues teams can end up playing 10 games in a month if there's been a bad run of weather and/or clashing fixtures.

this article discusses the most games played in a short amount of time and can give some insight as to how hard it can be to deal with this happening if you have a small squad/ aren't used to it.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/mar/14/the-knowledge-most-games-played

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Where do you buy the in-game editor for FM2014? I can't find it in the Steam Store.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

tatankatonk posted:

Where do you buy the in-game editor for FM2014? I can't find it in the Steam Store.

It's an in-game purchase.

Start FM14, and on the launch screen, I think it says "Downloads" at the bottom of the menu.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Finally, after several days of reading, I've caught up with this thread. I have also started seriously thinking about picking up Football Manager despite my familiarity with soccer football's league structure being derived mostly from this thread.

....what have I done with my life

(I have to admit, several seasons back when you were complaining about Liverpool getting all the TV time instead of Wrexham, habeasdorkus, my initial reaction was "Well, John Henry already has NESN cameras at the game anyways, so the league is probably just swiping their feed instead of paying for camera crews to go to Wales.")

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Finally, after several days of reading, I've caught up with this thread. I have also started seriously thinking about picking up Football Manager despite my familiarity with soccer football's league structure being derived mostly from this thread.

....what have I done with my life
Football Manager isn't all glory and trophies. It's a game of team management and patience. When you start a new game of Football Manager, you will likely spend the bulk of your first real-life day of playing the game re-jiggering things to your liking, and probably not advance more than a week in game. There's a lot of staff to change, a lot of staff to hire, just a ton of stuff to be done on a new game.

Once you get situated though, that's the hardest part done with. In theory.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Until you have one of those years where the cup runs don't go where you want them to and you find yourself in administration.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
I hope this thread comes back!

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Did someone start playing FM15?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I'm thankful for this thread and hope it comes back

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

So... is this really dead? :(

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

TorakFade posted:

So... is this really dead? :(

Habeas hasn't posted to SA at all in over six weeks. I'm just hoping he's doing OK.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

He might still be active on his steam account. Not sure though since I don't know what it is.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

Steam says he was last active 5 hours ago, so I think he just moved on from the thread/SA.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Insertnamehere31 posted:

Steam says he was last active 5 hours ago, so I think he just moved on from the thread/SA.

That's good to know. I'm glad it was nothing nasty. Ta.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

If this LP is indeed over, this may be the time where I may actually get that archive upgrade. This was really loving great.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Its one of the best LP's I've read, If you're lurking and reading Habeas, thanks for the whole thing.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

I just assumed FM15 ate his life.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I don't have his info, but if anyone who can contact him wants to for me, I'm willing to act in his stead to draw the LP to a conclusion so that it can go on the LP Archive.

As in, finish out a season or maybe 2, not take over. Just to an end.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Really was a ride, one of the only screenshot LP's I've ever made it all the way through. I do hope it can be finished in some way and put in the archive where it belongs.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
Whether this thread has reached it's climax or not, I'd still like to hear from habeasdorkus before this thread closes.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

I sent him a friend request on Steam, he has not yet accepted it, we'll see if he does. Worst case scenario he's gone "gently caress Goons" and left for good.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

It's christmas, have some patience

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

For anyone that's interested, the real life Wrexham took on Stoke in the FA Cup third round. They came kinda close to pulling off an upset at 0-1, but unfortunately for them the Stoke players figured out they were meant to be playing football, and the game ended 3-1.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Well, I think this is dead, and habeasdorkus isn't coming back. Why? Because he made a wager with somebody who is not to be wagered with.

Habeasdorkus had a team in the Super-League, where goons build fantasy teams, and Smasher Dynamo drives himself insane trying to somehow maintain a schedule of an update every two days as he runs a league where all the teams compete. The team, the Depraved Hearts Club, did not manage to survive the first season, and died horribly last season. Habeasdorkus disappeared around the same time. Now, in the first update of the new season, the truth was revealed:

quote:

Many have wondered what has happened to habeasdorkus' Football Manager LP, and now the truth can be told. Prior to the beginning of last season, we agreed to a secret "Loser leaves the forum stipulation." If he survived the season, I Would have been forced to shut down the Super-League. Fortunately, I Won, and, as a result, I was able to retire habeasdorkus and his thread forever. From a larger perspective, though, let this be a reminder that only the Super-League is eternal. The Sakura Wars thread, the War in the Pacific thread (allied and Japanese), these are impressively old LPs, but they are not self-perpetuated. Some day, they too shall grow old and die. The Super-League, however, is mighty and eternal. All other LPs are mere mayflies compared to it. The Super-League will bury every other LP given enough time! There shall come a day when the entire genre of LP will be defined by the continuing adventures of Mark Bellhorn!

I asked for clarification, and got it in the second update.

quote:

Did you know? Yes, TheMcD, I did force habeasdorkus to leave the forum, and I can only hope that habeasdorkus respects the spirit of our 'loser leave the forum' stipulation and never returns. I know that habeasdorkus had some misgivings about the deal, but he made it, and it's only fair that he abide by it. It's the right thing to do.

Basically, habeasdorkus was the victim of his own hubris. A fitting end for the God-King of Wales.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

benzine
Oct 21, 2010
A sad ending for the LP.

• Locked thread