Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Can't forget...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Radio Paranoia posted:

A couple of months back I was watching Youtube on my Xbox and instead of a McDonalds advert, it was a corporate promo-reel and creative justification for this... thing. You know, the sort of stuff the creative agency would show to the suits in order to sell their concept. Clearly somebody figured a bunch of looped animations and corporate jargon about what "Happy" represents to kids and consumers was prime ad space. I think it was the first time I've never skipped an ad, just because it was so surreal.

I would love to see this if someone can find the video

Content: The Nerf Oozinator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdAIt4MgnHc

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

I haven't seen three of my favorites in this thread yet.

I don't think Hanukkah Stockings are a thing (and anyway, it was labeled a Christmas Stocking), so this McDonald's freebie from back in the day was just a tiny bit problematic if you actually paid attention to the movie:

This piece of poo poo is just going to end in tears. Seriously. Birds + Windows = Tragedy 99% of the time.

And my all-time "favorite". Think of how many marketing meetings this horrifying lolipop would have had to pass through without even one person saying, "No."

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rahonavis posted:

And my all-time "favorite". Think of how many marketing meetings this horrifying lolipop would have had to pass through without even one person saying, "No."

Hey kids, want to make out with the most irritating comic relief character in history?

ebilflindas
Sep 16, 2013

I'm Tony Siragusa and sometimes I piss my pants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzycOWk3acs

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

canyoneer posted:

Wait, chorizo is fancy hipster food in Australia? In the American southwest, it's nasty hangover food.

Chorizo is ground pork and it taste delicious.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Discount Dracula posted:

There have been a few examples of failed marketing via internet participation. I think there is no greater example of this than when the internet sent Pitbull to Alaska. It's beautiful.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/pitbull-heading-north-walmart-kodiak-alaska-232922477.html

Is it normal for reasonably successful musicians to team up with Wal-Mart like this? They must have paid him a lot. Because seriously, Wal-Mart.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Picnic Princess posted:

Is it normal for reasonably successful musicians to team up with Wal-Mart like this? They must have paid him a lot. Because seriously, Wal-Mart.

You will not believe the cash thrown around. It cost Papa Johns a shitload of money (in the multiple million dollar range) just for the privilege of being able to sell Taylor Swifts album with their pizzas.

Campaign was a massive disaster in case you were curious.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I hope I don't end up loving money so much that I lose all dignity.

Not that I have much of either, but still.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I wonder how people calculate the worth of social media presence. It can be vital to local businesses in areas with a ton of millennials, but how much is a "Like" worth to Wal-Mart or McDonald's? They could spend millions on a social marketing campaign and barely budge their sales numbers.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I remember in a marketing class I took that I believe it was Crest that is the #1 toothpaste in sales in the world. No one gives a poo poo, no one really bases their toothpaste sales on the latest add campaign, no one really puts that much thought into it.

So they stopped advertising since they were cruisin'.

As soon as they stopped their sales tanked and Colgate overtook them (I think it was Colgate). Same with Pepsi and Coke.

Its weird but the data shows it works, even when with every fiber of my being I don't use their marketing an iota when I decide which one I pick up.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jastiger posted:

I remember in a marketing class I took that I believe it was Crest that is the #1 toothpaste in sales in the world. No one gives a poo poo, no one really bases their toothpaste sales on the latest add campaign, no one really puts that much thought into it.

As soon as they stopped their sales tanked and Colgate overtook them (I think it was Colgate). Same with Pepsi and Coke.

Its weird but the data shows it works, even when with every fiber of my being I don't use their marketing an iota when I decide which one I pick up.

Interesting. Reminds me of how, after the federal government restricted how tobacco companies could advertise, the companies had better profits. People still want to smoke, and now they don't have to pay for expensive TV ads or product placement.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ebilflindas posted:

I'm Tony Siragusa and sometimes I piss my pants.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzycOWk3acs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv3spJiJODs

Nuclear Pogostick
Apr 9, 2007

Bouncing towards victory

Jastiger posted:

That makes no sense to me. I buy pepsodent because I like how it tastes, I buy store-brand diet soda because it tastes pretty close to coke while being a few bucks cheaper, the only time I actually factor ads into my purchasing habits is when it's an ad that makes me aware of a sale or something new. Pretty much everyone I know is the same way, so... what the gently caress is the deal?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

That makes no sense to me. I buy pepsodent because I like how it tastes, I buy store-brand diet soda because it tastes pretty close to coke while being a few bucks cheaper, the only time I actually factor ads into my purchasing habits is when it's an ad that makes me aware of a sale or something new. Pretty much everyone I know is the same way, so... what the gently caress is the deal?

I agree. I agree is the same for me. A new movie? Cool. A big sale? Alright. The rest of the time "yes, I kmow McDonald's exists. I know Pepsi exists. I don't care about that"

But yeah it somehow works.

For example I'd consider every single ad on the Internet with the exception of a few banner ads to be dumb. 10 secrets THEY don't want you to know!!!1

I never thought anyone clicked them.until I started my job at an insurance place. I get 5 to 10 calls a week from people that click them expecting 15$ insurance or believe the ad in a literal sense. They even ask the ten things they should know to save.

So I have to think that for every person that ignores 90% of advertising there are two that eat it up.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Picnic Princess posted:

Walmart actually spends a decent chunk of change to dip their toes in the popular music business because pretty much anyone who is dumb enough to not buy music digitally and not be the kind of person who is heavily attached to their local record store is going to buy their CDs from Walmart. IIRC, in the past ten years or so ACDC, The Eagles and a few other generic rock/country singers/bands have all released Walmart exclusive albums.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Jastiger posted:

I agree. I agree is the same for me. A new movie? Cool. A big sale? Alright. The rest of the time "yes, I kmow McDonald's exists. I know Pepsi exists. I don't care about that"

But yeah it somehow works.

For example I'd consider every single ad on the Internet with the exception of a few banner ads to be dumb. 10 secrets THEY don't want you to know!!!1

I never thought anyone clicked them.until I started my job at an insurance place. I get 5 to 10 calls a week from people that click them expecting 15$ insurance or believe the ad in a literal sense. They even ask the ten things they should know to save.

So I have to think that for every person that ignores 90% of advertising there are two that eat it up.

This is true, but marketing definitely gets into our heads whether we like it or not. If Coke stopped doing ads tomorrow, we wouldn't forget it overnight, but Pepsi, Dr. Pepper, etc., are still being pumped into our heads every day so one day maybe an avid Coke drinker tries something else and likes it better.

Moxie used to be the go-to soft drink for the entire US. It was so famous that the drink Moxie brought the word "moxie" into existence. Then one year they decide stockpiling cane sugar is more important than advertising, because hell, they invented a word. Coke decided to double-down on marketing and now Moxie is only sold in the Northeast.

Tiggum posted:

In that case it worked out well for them because their competitors couldn't advertise either. In the toothpaste example only one company stopped advertising.

Oh, I understand, I just got reminded of it. Figured the thread might enjoy the anecdote.

Arsonist Daria has a new favorite as of 05:17 on Jan 5, 2015

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Interesting. Reminds me of how, after the federal government restricted how tobacco companies could advertise, the companies had better profits. People still want to smoke, and now they don't have to pay for expensive TV ads or product placement.
In that case it worked out well for them because their competitors couldn't advertise either. In the toothpaste example only one company stopped advertising.

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Ads work on everyone, but most people think they're the exception. Because ads don't work in a simple, straight-forward way it's hard to see how they're affecting you. You don't see a McDonald's ad and immediately go out and buy a burger, but the constant advertising makes sure that you know what McDonald's is, you know what they sell, you recognise them instantly when you see them, you know what to expect when you go there. When you're walking down the street and you see the golden arches you think "burgers", not "a big yellow M". When you're thinking "Where can I go for a quick meal?" one of the answers that instantly pops into your head is "McDonald's". And there are a lot of more subtle effects, like using particular words, colours, symbols, sounds, etc. to give certain impressions and fix certain associations in your mind. None of it translates directly from seeing the ad to buying the product, but in its totality it's hugely effective in making large numbers of people more likely to buy the product.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
Or, if you find yourself standi NV in front of a vending machine, which sugar bar do you go for? Afterwards, ask yourself where did I see that last?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

I wonder how people calculate the worth of social media presence. It can be vital to local businesses in areas with a ton of millennials, but how much is a "Like" worth to Wal-Mart or McDonald's? They could spend millions on a social marketing campaign and barely budge their sales numbers.

When you're as ubiquitous as McDonalds or Wal-Mart, social campaigns are more to "stay relevant" than to remain in the public consciousness. For smaller groups they totally do calculate "cost per like" on social campaigns - which varies as much as internet advertising - and actual sales are still the domain of traditional advertising. At one point, "likes" were the be all and end all of whether your company is doing well, regardless of where they came from or why.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I would love to see this if someone can find the video

Found it! It's still on the McDonalds South Africa Youtube page. Paragraphs of text and repetitive music is definitely prime-time advertising!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tff9dafR49Q

Radio Paranoia has a new favorite as of 05:43 on Jan 5, 2015

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I don't have a link and for the life of me I can't find one but there was a doritos ad around 6 or so years ago that is without a doubt the single most annoying thing I've ever seen. I was a relatively simple ad featuring a female hip hop artist (Missy Elliot?) proceeding to shove massive handfuls of doritos into her loving gob like they were some kind of lifesaving treatment all the while chewing with her mouth open like a loving animal making the most disgusting noises I've ever heard a human being make while eating. I have yet to buy doritos again since that ad came on the air because everytime I see a bag I think of that ad and just say gently caress that.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Radio Paranoia posted:

Found it! It's still on the McDonalds South Africa Youtube page. Paragraphs of text and repetitive music is definitely prime-time advertising!
Good god, this is terrible. It's like a PowerPoint presentation.

Hey kids, remember when you used to get a toy? Well shut the gently caress up and play with this grease stained box.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Genetic fungineering will be the end of the human race.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Moxie used to be the go-to soft drink for the entire US. It was so famous that the drink Moxie brought the word "moxie" into existence. Then one year they decide stockpiling cane sugar is more important than advertising, because hell, they invented a word. Coke decided to double-down on marketing and now Moxie is only sold in the Northeast.

Everything is bullshit because I live in the midwest and the one time I visited Maine I tried Moxie and fell in love and have to go to a specialty grocery store 2 hours away from me if I ever want some. Or fly to Maine.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Everything is bullshit because I live in the midwest and the one time I visited Maine I tried Moxie and fell in love and have to go to a specialty grocery store 2 hours away from me if I ever want some. Or fly to Maine.

Can't you just buy some on Amazon?

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Barudak posted:

You will not believe the cash thrown around. It cost Papa Johns a shitload of money (in the multiple million dollar range) just for the privilege of being able to sell Taylor Swifts album with their pizzas.

Campaign was a massive disaster in case you were curious.

Wait seriously? I would think that it would be the other way around. Swift should have to pay Papa John a million bucks to force out her garbage.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

joats posted:

Wait seriously? I would think that it would be the other way around. Swift should have to pay Papa John a million bucks to force out her garbage.

White girls with bad taste buy a lot of albums.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

joats posted:

It depends on the crossover of the brands. In this case as Taylors camp pointed out they didn't have any real reason to believe that Papa Johns pizza would boost her album sales but that it would be possible her album would boost their pizza. The CMO of Papa Johns at the time was super, super gung-ho on Taylor Swift so he gave the ok even when in order to get the deal they had to cut local TV spots which if memory serves right included local broadcasts of sporting events which. The damage to the bottom line resulted in the rebound to "HOLY poo poo FIRE THIS GUY AND BUY THE NFL"

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
How about this video for little baby's ice cream that makes me want to stay the hell away from Philadelphia.

Not for queasy stomachs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erh2ngRZxs0

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

joats posted:

How about this video for little baby's ice cream that makes me want to stay the hell away from Philadelphia.

Not for queasy stomachs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erh2ngRZxs0

These are the creepiest loving commercials and I would never eat that brand. I'm kind of unsure on eating in general.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

hyperhazard posted:

Hey kids, remember when you used to get a toy? Well shut the gently caress up and play with this grease stained box.

If you've worked in advertising it's very clearly a pitch / rationale video designed for suits with lots of money - down to the "Thank you" slide at the end. I'm guessing that there was a last minute "poo poo, we need some sort of online advertising video! Eh, just send that video we got from the agency to Youtube, it's fine."

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Doc Morbid posted:

I wish I was making that up, but I saw the poster several times at the local game shop back in 2003. I'm guessing that one didn't make it overseas.
Several N-Gage ads got pulled in the UK, including one that just so happened to be shot at the same location a Turkish immigrant was stabbed to death in Glasgow with the caption "This is where I got a good beating."

I get the innuendo, but it's such a psychopathic interpretation of "gamer victories".

Microsoft had their own share, again pulled in the UK.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLPj8cgDOVk
For causing distress to pregnant women - I do suppose the snapping of the umbilical cord was a bit much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZcNXe20dXI
For "glorifying gun violence."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Hey, that one's actually good.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, that one reminds me of what me and brother used to do as wee kids. Silly stuff.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Rahonavis posted:

This piece of poo poo is just going to end in tears. Seriously. Birds + Windows = Tragedy 99% of the time.
The whole video I was thinking "that's a bird torture chamber not only, but especially if you have a cat" and then at 1:18 there's a cat watching and they try to sell it as a plus. I guess Mittens won't be bored at least. :allears:

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

hyperhazard posted:

I remember back when I was younger happy meal boxes used to come all perforated and you could pop things out and make like little townscapes and stuff out of them. The whole insert slot A into slot B type instruction. Must have stopped doing them late 90s maybe?

They took the fun away from the box and now they're telling me the box is fun without that? Get hosed McDonalds. :colbert:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

hyperhazard posted:

Wait, that's why they introduced the creepy fun box? To get rid of cheapass toys? That is unbelievably stupid. I guarantee that there were times growing up where McDonalds got my parents money because we were going out to eat and my sister and I had to have "movie tie-in toy X"

McDonalds: "Why don't you go play with your box?" *ba da da da da*

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Wasn't presenting this one as banned just part of the angle? I was under the impression it was only ever intended for YouTube and social media.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They still include toys, you guys. When's the last time you've been to McDonald's? They still have the "toy of the month" displays and everything.

The purpose of the box is to be creepy in that likeable creepy woody toy sort of way and generate viral photos from people being like "woah look at this creepy box", while still appealing to kids who liked despicable me. It's actually working really loving well

Ignite Memories has a new favorite as of 16:06 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It's also kind of a step up from what came before it, which was just a greasy paper bag.