Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So this is what it's like when Facebook and SA collide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The transmitter looks like Apple had a hand in designing it.

PREYING MANTITS
Mar 13, 2003

and that's how you get ants.
Speaking of DJI, I don't know if this is entirely kosher or not so feel free to remove this if I'm breaking any rules but I just came across a thread that talked about how you can apparently upgrade a Naza-m lite to v2 via a firmware hack. I guess the benefits are improved stability and a wider range of accessory compatibility. I'm not a DJI user so a lot of it goes right over my head. Figured it might be of use to some of y'all.

The free software to do it and a bit more detail about what it does is here: http://naza-upgrade.com/

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
This christmas, i was given the Syma X5c explorers edition toy quad, and it's been a blast to fly it around, even though the camera on it is fairly useless as these things go.

After looking into what it'll cost to build my own camera rig (with FPV as a future option) i stumbled on http://www.rclegends.co.uk/250-fpv-quad-racer-kit-combo-1 and it looks like a decent starting point? it looks like it's hobbyking level gear, but most of the stuff posted in this thread is, anyway :v

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1EtIihJWhA here's a flight of my Syma x5c. it's loud as gently caress. i've ordered a bunch of extra batteries for it and i'll try and fly it every day to get basic handling down :)

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

PREYING MANTITS posted:

Speaking of DJI, I don't know if this is entirely kosher or not so feel free to remove this if I'm breaking any rules but I just came across a thread that talked about how you can apparently upgrade a Naza-m lite to v2 via a firmware hack. I guess the benefits are improved stability and a wider range of accessory compatibility. I'm not a DJI user so a lot of it goes right over my head. Figured it might be of use to some of y'all.

The free software to do it and a bit more detail about what it does is here: http://naza-upgrade.com/

I did this the other day. Definitely a recommended hack. DJI has claimed that some Naza lite flight characteristics are hardware issues, and being able to load the V2 software disproves that diagnosis.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Going to double post :dealwithit: here are photos of my Phantom 2 compared to the Inspire 1

Nice setup

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
if you have a naza m lite and are cool, you should try this out http://naza-upgrade.com/ (dji made rcgroups pull down the thread)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Elendil004 posted:

So this is what it's like when Facebook and SA collide.

:jebstare: well there is always that. To be fair I haven't made my identity terribly difficult to find out.

Edit: vvv thanks! I had some dude named Chad Drexel from Roc City designs or something do the wrap for me. He posted on Facebook that you could give him any idea and he'd make a wrap for you. I sent him some pics of the Art Car and he sent me a proof. Once I approved it he printed and shipped it. Took like a week and a half total for just $45 or so. Gets some good looks at Cars & Coffee and at BMW get togethers.

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 4, 2015

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Really digging the BMW art car theme you've got with the Phantom. That's loving rad.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

I just received my Turnigy Accucel 6 in the mail today, and I have no idea how to set it up to charge the stock hubsan battery (380 mAh), I assume that I charge it at 0.3 A if I have one battery, and 0.6 A if I have two?

The interface is kind of confusing. So far, I know how to set it up to charge a LiPo + 1S battery, but any further and I'll probably blow up the southern hemisphere.

Any good youtube videos that y'all can throw at me?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Just got my Estes proto FPV and gave it a maiden flight. Trip report:

- super stable. just a few clicks forward trim and shes hovering nicely.
- controller is a bit 'soft' and i would like more resistance on the sticks due to how sensitive it is to inputs, even in half rates.
- FPV is hard. Im guessing goggles make it easier but I havent really flown it using the screen on the controller yet. Apparently it works with goggles so that might be next on my list.
-Camera quality is good when played back on a computer. no audio (guessing this can be turned on and off, havent read the manual yet)

Anything I can do to minimise interference with the LCD display? disabling 5ghz wifi on my router/devices for example? seems to have some bad black spots in my house even when within a few feet.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
FPV is hard. Don't feel bad. Also the transmitter on that thing is 10mw or less, so range is going to be pretty.. uh.. bad.

Now, my lessons of the day:

As a word of warning to everyone. If you have a Naze32, don't plug your RC interface harness in backwards. The manual says "Else will permanently destroy hardware" but.. it's not very clear on what gets fried.

Well.. I found out tonight. The puff of smoke made it real clear that I did something permanent. It looks like the BEC power rail doesn't have much current capacity, and if you flip that around, you let the magic smoke out of the board. I'll need to do a real autopsy later, but I've found that all of my ESCs are behaving normally. My receiver works as it should. Just no power makes it from the BEC to the receiver through the Naze32.

On the whole "I'm learning new things." I found out that the super cheap four channel controllers that come with Blade, and Eflite airplanes are fully five channel. Pressing the right stick switches an aux channel. It's normally high. If you press the stick, the power LED on the controller flashes, and the channel goes low. Also, the little controllers are mostly open air. The RF circuit is a sub board, so there's a lot of modding potential there. Either for smaller controllers, or custom ones.

I'll be adding a jumper wire tomorrow, while I'm correcting the motor rotation for THREE OF MY MOTORS...

Oh.. and why all of this now? I got my AcroMullet in the mail. And I installed everything on my Maltese. I followed the warpquad method for wiring up my ESCs. It came out really pretty.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Range is great from all reports - certain spots in my house just cause a lot of static on the display.

outside it works really well.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Laserface posted:

Just got my Estes proto FPV and gave it a maiden flight. Trip report:

- super stable. just a few clicks forward trim and shes hovering nicely.
- controller is a bit 'soft' and i would like more resistance on the sticks due to how sensitive it is to inputs, even in half rates.
- FPV is hard. Im guessing goggles make it easier but I havent really flown it using the screen on the controller yet. Apparently it works with goggles so that might be next on my list.
-Camera quality is good when played back on a computer. no audio (guessing this can be turned on and off, havent read the manual yet)

Anything I can do to minimise interference with the LCD display? disabling 5ghz wifi on my router/devices for example? seems to have some bad black spots in my house even when within a few feet.

If this is the same FPV system as the Hubsan 107D (I think it is as the ProtoX is the H111), anything on 5.8ghz will knock it out, but once that's taken care of, you can get to another room and still have enough video to fly it. Trying to fly it with a Phantom Vision running would take it out pretty quickly.

Also, you will find FPV gets much easier if you practice always moving forward...it's impossible to see what you are about to hit if you are drifting sideways or backwards, but moving forward constantly avoids that.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'm pretty proud of this:

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Looks nice and clean.

About that Accucel charger. If your charging one 340mAh battery, set your charge rate to 0.3 amps, though personally I'd use 0.4 amps (1.17c should be fine). And you should be good.

Charging multiple batteries is where it gets a bit trickier. Personally I picked up this http://www.banggood.com/1-To-3-Battery-Balance-Charging-Cable-For-MINI-CP-V120D02S-FBL80-p-89016.html . It requires charging 3 batteries at a time, but controls the charge to each battery when balance charged by treating it as a 3s 340mAh battery. Charge rate is still going to be .3-.4 amps, but at 11.1v setting. To me this is the safest method short of using multiple chargers.

Some people will parallel charge these, in which case you would jump up to .7 amps (1s 680mAh equivalent), but you have to be careful the batteries are close to the same voltage before connecting them. Otherwise your charging one battery off the other, with no control over the current. So if one battery is at 4.2v, the other at 3.2v, you have a potential of 1v. Doesn't sound like much, but the internal resistance of the battery might only be 0.5 ohms. So 1V/0.5 = 2 amps, which is a ~5C charge rate.

I cut the stock Hubsan charger cord in half, and attached a deans connector to it. The accucel should have one adapter with the other end. Makes it nice and easy to hook up the one battery.

If your still unsure, I can put up a quick video showing how I'd set mine up for the Hubsan batteries.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 5, 2015

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Nerobro posted:

I'm pretty proud of this:

Nice!

Does hk not sell the x-factor any more? I can't find it in their site

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nice!

Does hk not sell the x-factor any more? I can't find it in their site

I can't take full credit, as I followed the warpquad people's tutorial, and "made it work" on the Maltese frame.

Yup, I had a chat with HK thursday about the X-Factor. It's discontinued.

.... My buddy wants to start making frames. So, there's a fair chance that a "better" replacement will see the light. We're thinking full 250 class, without as much prop shrouding, while retaining the stabilized top deck, and pod that's wide enough to mount equipment on the sides.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Where is a good place (IE: Reliable and cheap) to pick up a cool skin/wrap for a Phantom 2?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

slidebite posted:

Where is a good place (IE: Reliable and cheap) to pick up a cool skin/wrap for a Phantom 2?

This place is where I got mine: http://www.roccitydesign.com/ They will even do custom skins (like my E92 M3 BMW Art Car).

Here is a photo from the Inspire1. This was a DNG raw photo I downloaded on my iPhone and played with a little bit on the free Photoshop Express app. Thumbnailed, so click for big

VVV EDIT: VVV That's what I get for trying to be fancy. :(

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 6, 2015

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This place is where I got mine: http://www.roccitydesign.com/ They will even do custom skins (like my E92 M3 BMW Art Car).

Here is a photo from the Inspire1. This was a DNG raw photo I downloaded on my iPhone and played with a little bit on the free Photoshop Express app. Thumbnailed, so click for big

Would be much nicer without the vignette.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
These aren't full wraps (but I think custom wraps look dumb (but those hydro dips look cool)) but I've had good experience with them. I just bought the ID stickers though http://www.uavstickers.com/products-dji-phantom.php

edit: any cool stuff from CES yet?

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 6, 2015

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Started getting into quads a couple of months ago, figured I'd show off some of the family. The 250 is a Strider I just finished building and have barely had time to maiden.

The Super-X is getting fpv gear whenever ReadyMadeRC gets some stuff back in stock I've had backordered for a while. I'm using Dominator v2s with the Nano FPV and the Strider.

There's a couple more side shots of the Strider in the album if anyone is curious about how anal I got with cable management.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! :)

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Somewhat Heroic posted:

VVV EDIT: VVV That's what I get for trying to be fancy. :(

Wow, where is that? I'm getting a Kiruna vibe.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

For those just beggining
http://gizmodo.com/the-best-drone-for-every-indoor-need-1644579797
Feel free to give input.

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Wanna revamp my FPV setup, are Fatshark antennas worth the extra money?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

That's my neighborhood. You can see me in the front center of my driveway. It's a suburb in the south end of the Salt Lake valley in Utah.

That's right, we get the pretty state. :colbert:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

on the left posted:

Wanna revamp my FPV setup, are Fatshark antennas worth the extra money?

Which antennas, the CP versions? What are you changing from?

on the left
Nov 2, 2013

Wojcigitty posted:

Which antennas, the CP versions? What are you changing from?

I currently have a boscam 8ch transmitter with the standard generic exposed wire clover-leaf antenna and uses RP-SMA.

My plan is to buy the following:
- 7" Skyzone diversity receiver LCD (SMA)
- 200mw 32ch transmitter (SMA)
- RHCP patch antenna
- RHCP skew-planar Fatshark antenna Rx/Tx set, because I need a second antenna for my LCD, and a primary for my Tx

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

I've got the Syma X5c, and i quite like it. The camera isn't exactly great, but it's a super stable flier and it comes with a very decent transmitter. it can also be upgraded to a better battery and if you've got some soldering skills, you'll want to replace the antenna on the transmitter to go from 20m range to 100 meters.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
Is the Phantom 2 still basically the best for getting gopro footage?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think for the price range, and not custom, its probably one of the better ones. If buying new, get a v2 (and buy from an official seller / someone who can repair without shipping back to china), or get a deal on a v1 used w/ h3-3d gimbal on ebay.

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 6, 2015

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I'm trying to find out if I can reverse a channel from the CLI, versus the transmitter. I'm trying to use one of the cheap DSM transmitters from blade to fly my quad (as I now know it's a SIX channel controller..) but it doens't have channel reversing.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
well that was fast http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2317298#post30373448

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

That thing looks like a flying dog. What's next? DJI Phantom Rainbow Unicorn?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Pukestain Pal posted:

Is the Phantom 2 still basically the best for getting gopro footage?

If you already own a gopro, I agree. If not, I'd just buy a Vision + and use its camera. It's pretty good.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

slidebite posted:

If you already own a gopro, I agree. If not, I'd just buy a Vision + and use its camera. It's pretty good.

yup I have one. Thanks!

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Nerobro posted:

I'm trying to find out if I can reverse a channel from the CLI, versus the transmitter. I'm trying to use one of the cheap DSM transmitters from blade to fly my quad (as I now know it's a SIX channel controller..) but it doens't have channel reversing.

probably not without recompiling your own firmware

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

oh well, a DPDT switch will allow me to do the same thing. *sighs* I didn't want to need a custom controller.