Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Is it possible to put docking ports on the side of a science lab? I seem to only be able to put them in-line, which sucks. What's the best way for designing a space station for multiple docking ports?

[Edit: I think I may have answered my own question. I don't think I have the parts to do it properly yet, only the basic Attach-O-Tron.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jan 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Is it possible to put docking ports on the side of a science lab? I seem to only be able to put them in-line, which sucks. What's the best way for designing a space station for multiple docking ports?

[Edit: I think I may have answered my own question. I don't think I have the parts to do it properly yet, only the basic Attach-O-Tron.

You get nodes later in the tech tree, and you also get radial attachment points which let you...well...attach things radially, including docking ports.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

I'm not sure what you meant by "science lab", but I have no problems:

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Now that I got to Duna, I got a rover on Eve too! :jeb:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

karl fungus posted:

Yeah, the problem was that the rover kept flipping over, so I was trying various landing strut configurations to get it back on its wheels. Now I'm going to use a better rover design, with less top weight.

I’ve tried making squat rovers, but I find that magic torque wheels and stability assist are more effective than a wide wheelbase.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Driving is incredibly painful on the Mun, a little easier on Duna, and extremely easy on Eve. I wonder how Laythe is.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Unless you are a hardcore career mode only type I strongly recommend messing around with rovers at KSC in sandbox mode.The best designs aren't always intuitive.
I won't talk too much about them to avoid a wall of text, but it is worthwhile trying different wheel configurations.

On wheels, when building a rover don't forget to set up the wheels the way you want them. Disabling rear wheel steering is a good step toward stability. Cutting it down to 2wd can also help, depending on the rover. It definitely helps with body torquing with larger rovers which can hop. I don't think KSP calculates Ackerman angles for steering, and as for putting power down it can cause torquing when turning too.

Just another note on wheels. if the rover is stricken and power supply is failing, it is possible to cut power down to one wheel only and still have it driveable. It takes some care but it's not all that difficult.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Got this over Christmas. Just had my first successful rocket to space! Eventually Bill is going to leave the solar system :3: These two events are one and the same.

winterwerefox fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 4, 2015

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
What do you have against Jeb?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
RemoteTech question because apparently I'm too much of a casual to figure this out. Got a nice Keostationary constellation of 4 up, using BoxSat bodies I threw and octagonal girder and two Communitron 88-88 on opposing sides of it, because the DTS-M1 didn't quite fit and I couldn't tweakscale it down. Threw 4 more satellites on a launch vehicle and in the general direction of the Mun in preparation for some Munar missions, however I can't seem to get the two constellations to link up. I'm beginning to think that maybe this might be a cone angle issue that perhaps the 88-88 is too narrow to target Min and get a connection.

On the Kerbin constellation like I mentioned there were two 88-88's one set to target Min and the other targeting Minmus. The Mun sats I just launched have one 88-88 targeting Kerbin.

If it is a cone angle issue, is this going to be a problem when Kerbin and Duna make their closest approach? What about Eve?

Probably going to recalibrate the birds up there now for Duna and Dres since it seems that the 50Mm dishes are better suited for that?

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jan 4, 2015

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Hrm, something in my modlist is enabling surface samples when they're not supposed to. Anyone got an idea of the perpetrator?

Active Texture Management
    Community Resource Pack
    Crowd Sourced Science
    Distant Object Enhancement + default config
    DMagic Orbital Science
    Docking Port Alignment Indicator
    Final Frontier
    Firespitter Core
    K2 Command Pod
    Karbonite
    Kerbal Alarm Clock
    KAS
    KER
    Infernal Robotics
    MechJeb
    ModuleManager + ModuleRCSFX
    Planet Shine
    Procedural Fairing
    Regolith
    ScanSAT
    ScienceAlert
    Ship Manifest
    StageRecovery
    Station Science
    Toolbar
    TriggerAu Flags
    TweakScale
    Universal Storage + KAS Pack
    RoverDude Mods
    TAC-LS
    TAL Radial Experiment Storage Container

eth0.n
Jun 1, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

I'm not sure what you meant by "science lab", but I have no problems:

The "Attach-O-Tron" I think he was talking about is from Station Science. It doesn't allow surface attachment. One of several weaknesses compared to the stock Clamp-O-Tron to justify the lower tech tree placement.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

eth0.n posted:

The "Attach-O-Tron" I think he was talking about is from Station Science. It doesn't allow surface attachment. One of several weaknesses compared to the stock Clamp-O-Tron to justify the lower tech tree placement.

This must be it, thank you. Was driving me crazy as I remembered attaching docking ports to the side of the science lab before, but yeah, my science lab also looks different.

Had to take a break from KSP today. I had sent up 2 of those science labs with docking ports, but forgot RCS on one of them. No problem, I should only need RCS on one for docking...

Then when I released my last stage from the one without RCS, it started spiraling out of control. I spent a good hour trying to dock, like something out of Interstellar, but no luck. I actually got it to the point where I am fairly sure it should have docked, but for some reason never got that magnetic pull. I'm wondering if maybe I installed them wrong-side out. I'm a bit bummed because I think this means I will lose all the kerbals I launched and probably bankrupt my space program, so I may have to start over.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

SeaborneClink posted:

RemoteTech question because apparently I'm too much of a casual to figure this out. Got a nice Keostationary constellation of 4 up, using BoxSat bodies I threw and octagonal girder and two Communitron 88-88 on opposing sides of it, because the DTS-M1 didn't quite fit and I couldn't tweakscale it down. Threw 4 more satellites on a launch vehicle and in the general direction of the Mun in preparation for some Munar missions, however I can't seem to get the two constellations to link up. I'm beginning to think that maybe this might be a cone angle issue that perhaps the 88-88 is too narrow to target Min and get a connection.

On the Kerbin constellation like I mentioned there were two 88-88's one set to target Min and the other targeting Minmus. The Mun sats I just launched have one 88-88 targeting Kerbin.

If it is a cone angle issue, is this going to be a problem when Kerbin and Duna make their closest approach? What about Eve?

Probably going to recalibrate the birds up there now for Duna and Dres since it seems that the 50Mm dishes are better suited for that?

If it's a cone angle issue, you can sidestep it by targeting the vessel directly instead of targeting the body it's orbiting.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Then when I released my last stage from the one without RCS, it started spiraling out of control. I spent a good hour trying to dock, like something out of Interstellar, but no luck. I actually got it to the point where I am fairly sure it should have docked, but for some reason never got that magnetic pull. I'm wondering if maybe I installed them wrong-side out. I'm a bit bummed because I think this means I will lose all the kerbals I launched and probably bankrupt my space program, so I may have to start over.

Hit time warp, watch ship magically stop spinning.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Mister Bates posted:

If it's a cone angle issue, you can sidestep it by targeting the vessel directly instead of targeting the body it's orbiting.

Except a constellation orbiting the Min isn't geosynchronous within its SoI, so that complicates keeping them synced up.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Fermented Tinal posted:

There's only one goo container, the other side has a hex can with life support supplies tweaked to match the weight of the goo can. Overall my goal weight-wise is not really about shaving off a some mass here or there. I'd actually like to shave off 50 tons so it doesn't require a fully-upgraded launch pad while still retaining the Apollo-style setup, which I'm not sure is possbile even with dropping all of the science stuff, life support, changing batteries, removing solar panels as well as going with 3 lander legs, alternate engines (I thought the L1s were the lightest?) and fuel tweaks. Besides, the lander itself can land on mun and return to orbit with 8m/s dV remaining, which I think is about as efficient as I can get it with the material bay, goo can and supplies. Overall the rocket barely fits in under the height limit (by like 0.2m) for a level 2 pad, but it's way over the weight limit.

Forgive me for going back to this, it is a bit hard for me to make out: you are using 4 ea. LV-1 radial engines for your lander, right?

I was thinking about when the LV-1 or LV-909 would be better than the 48-7S (small in-line orange engine). There is certainly a more elegant solution, though it eludes my tired mind, so I made some charts to see if my rocket intuition was off. My charts are based off of 1 ea. engine, ignore TWR requirements, and Dry mass is vehicle sans engine:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

SeaborneClink posted:

Except a constellation orbiting the Min isn't geosynchronous within its SoI, so that complicates keeping them synced up.

I haven't had any trouble with semi-synchronous around Mun.

Only goes offline when the sat in the molniya around Kerbin goes behind Kerbin or when Kerbin is eclipsing Kerbol. I don't even really need it to talk to all three but I figured what the hell why not.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I was thinking about when the LV-1 or LV-909 would be better than the 48-7S (small in-line orange engine).

My rule‐of‐thumb is that I need to bring at least eight times as much fuel as there is difference in mass between the engines.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Fermented Tinal posted:

I haven't had any trouble with semi-synchronous around Mun.

Only goes offline when the sat in the molniya around Kerbin goes behind Kerbin or when Kerbin is eclipsing Kerbol. I don't even really need it to talk to all three but I figured what the hell why not.

poo poo I hadn't figured thought about having the constellation target a sat in a Molniya. :eng99:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
After roverchat I threw together some examples and chucked one at Minmus. yet another reminder why children and KSP are incompatible. They have a sixth sense for landings.

In spite of multiple interruptions during the last couple of hundred metres it was a beautiful, perfect touchdown on the nuclear engine. The monoprop from the nuclear stage was scavenged to the lifter and then
...I undocked the lifter :negative:

So I undocked the nuclear stage and hoped for the best.
The rover survived intact and handles pretty well on the Minmus surface, but it has no means of propulsion besides wheels. Whoeverthehellitis Kerman will have to sit tight for a while.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

karl fungus posted:

Driving is incredibly painful on the Mun, a little easier on Duna, and extremely easy on Eve. I wonder how Laythe is.

Laythe is by far the easiest non kerbin body for rovers or any other type of craft. Because of the oxygen atmosphere you can even make turbo jet powered dropships for your awesome rovers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

General_Failure posted:

So I undocked the nuclear stage and hoped for the best.
The rover survived intact and handles pretty well on the Minmus surface, but it has no means of propulsion besides wheels. Whoeverthehellitis Kerman will have to sit tight for a while.

Does the lifter not have its own probe core?

If it’s controllable, you can dock in a gravity well, it’s just not easy. Minmus is a good place to practice, though.

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

SeaborneClink posted:

There's a few extra buttons RemoteTech adds to the map view, one of which toggles visualizations of dish cones, in case you need to visualize it in the future.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Does the lifter not have its own probe core?

If it’s controllable, you can dock in a gravity well, it’s just not easy. Minmus is a good place to practice, though.

Simply put, I forgot. usually when I do a skycrane it has a probe core, battery, legs and some kind of power generation.

Minmus is a great place to play docking Lego to build bases.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Psawhn posted:

There's a few extra buttons RemoteTech adds to the map view, one of which toggles visualizations of dish cones, in case you need to visualize it in the future.

Yeah I saw those. I'm now certain that I misread Gm for Mm, so I was covering a pinpoint on the surface of the Mun.

I used the opportunity to re-engineer my constellation from 4 sats total to 6 in stationary equatorial orbits and two in (hopefully 180° phased) Molniya orbits. I should probably figure out how to phase them on a polar orbit first.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder

OwlFancier posted:

If I could pester you with another question, RoverDude, one thing I haven't been able to find out yet is if there is an intended method of using the MK3 MKS parts, the big octagonal refinery parts?

They don't really match up with the other MKS bits and I'm not sure how to connect them up, are they designed to interface with FTT parts? Even putting landing legs on them is difficult without the big legs in the karbonite pack. Same issue with the big drills too, I've yet to unlock anything that can really fit them properly short of building weird towers out of fuel tanks.

Is there an intended setup that was in mind when they were designed? I haven't figured it out yet if so. Short of using the really big parts that I haven't unlocked due to not having 4 million bucks to upgrade the R&D center yet.

They are meant to go horizontally, either attached to the Honeybadger style parts, or (with the included adapter) to 3.75m parts. The heavy stock legs will work with these in a horizontal situation with the included adapter. You can also slap on the giant Rovermax wheels and run them around. That being said, there's a few requests for parts to make working with them easier, so if you have ideas feel free to log a github issue.

Warbird posted:

Complexity is perfectly fine so long as it's intuitive and well documented. While MKS isn't the latter, it can still be addressed. RD, have you considered promoting a wiki site dedicated to MKS? That'd let the more dedicated get something put together as a stopgap until the official stuff is updated by you. I'm aware that Github has this functionality, but most of the KSP userbase isn't the sort to go poking around trying to figure out that interface. If there aren't already contracts that sort of guide your hand into base construction using the parts, there ought to be.

I've considered it. What usually happens is I get short term enthusiasm that lasts about 30 seconds, after which I am left with half-finished stuff to redo. I'd kill for a collaborator interested in helping with the wiki side, but reality is that it's going to end up being me, and that just takes time.

ToxicFrog posted:

Yeah, actually, an MKS wiki that people can actually edit would be nice. Accurate part descriptions would be even better, but editing a wiki page is much lower overhead than cloning the repo and submitting a PR for most people.

I let folks edit a lot of the GitHub one, till some jackass kept loving with my license terms so I had to lock it down again.

SimplyCosmic posted:

Thank you, RoverDude! I have started loving Sounding Rockets as the "model rocket simulator" inside my "cartoon rocket simulator", so I look forward to every new update.

I'm glad to see you're using slightly slanted fins on your rocket. After watching real-world NASA sounding rockets, I noticed they use tiny thrusters just after launch to start them spinning, but this doesn't work as well in KSP. So I went with slanted fins, and they work reasonably well at helping keep the unguided rockets on track.

Yep., spin stabilization is a thing. But I REALLY like the idea of little spinner rockets you can activate. I am in fact going to add that to the next release because it's awesome.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Is there a better way, either in game or in a mod, to see what science you've actually gotten and what's left? The screen in the lab is... not very user friendly, I think, and I can never remember what I've done where when it comes time to outfit a mission and put instruments on it.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I just completed a survey of Duna with the most basic SCANsat module. I am now going to drop the craft into the atmosphere to land.

Once there (and it may not survive) is there a way for other craft to view the map that was recorded?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Count Roland posted:

Once there (and it may not survive) is there a way for other craft to view the map that was recorded?

Once you've done a scan you can always view the map for a given celestial regardless of whether or not you are flying the craft that did the scanning. Just open the Small or Big map.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Count Roland posted:

I just completed a survey of Duna with the most basic SCANsat module. I am now going to drop the craft into the atmosphere to land.

Not only is it always visible with the Small Map or Big Map buttons, but if you have RasterPropMonitor installed, you can even make it visible in IVA, with an orbit track for the vessel you're viewing it from. Really handy if you're trying to find the perfect landing spot.

RoverDude
Aug 25, 2014

Cat Herder
More stuff has been made...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Your stuff is awesome.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

Hit time warp, watch ship magically stop spinning.

Thanks for this, it was a great tip. It looks like just backing out to the Space Center and then re-joining the mission worked too. I have docked a couple of times before and I was able to get it all lined up, but I think I may have put the docking ports backwards. Can anyone confirm? And is there a way to fix this while the ship is in-flight? I don't mind editing config/xml files or whatever.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Thanks for this, it was a great tip. It looks like just backing out to the Space Center and then re-joining the mission worked too. I have docked a couple of times before and I was able to get it all lined up, but I think I may have put the docking ports backwards. Can anyone confirm? And is there a way to fix this while the ship is in-flight? I don't mind editing config/xml files or whatever.

The visible port there is definitely backwards.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

Not only is it always visible with the Small Map or Big Map buttons, but if you have RasterPropMonitor installed, you can even make it visible in IVA, with an orbit track for the vessel you're viewing it from. Really handy if you're trying to find the perfect landing spot.

Do I need the toolbar mod for this? I don't see the buttons, but I used to when I had toolbar installed.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Welp I haven't been keeping up with the thread / any news since 2 versions ago. Time to declare thread bankrupcy and start again.

Any updates on fixing the UI scaling for text? The new tutorial messages and building right-click menus are very nice, but harder to read than ever :(

What about the curse addon installer? (or any other installer/updater that the community can collectively agree on)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Does anyone know why some parts seem to get 'stuck' in mid air on launch? I'm trying to launch RemoteTech satellites but some piece in mid air seems to get stuck. Usually staging off a decoupler fixes it buuuuuut that doesn't help when that detaches my launcher :v:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Mukaikubo posted:

Is there a better way, either in game or in a mod, to see what science you've actually gotten and what's left? The screen in the lab is... not very user friendly, I think, and I can never remember what I've done where when it comes time to outfit a mission and put instruments on it.

There's the Science Alert mod which lets you know when your ship can perform an experiment that will still grant you science, this is very useful when you're doing orbits trying to pick up the science over all the biomes and trying to find the smaller areas like badlands on Kerbin.

It'll only pop up a warning for experiments your ship can actually perform at the time, so if you're all out of goo canisters or don't have a gravity detector yet then it won't drop you out of time warp and keep bugging you about it.

I don't think it'll tell you where to go to get science, but it'll tell you what you can do once you're there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Mr. Wynand posted:

What about the curse addon installer? (or any other installer/updater that the community can collectively agree on)

CKAN has most things that matter.