Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snodig
Oct 5, 2014
It's the combination of super-depressing donation messages and cheery mario kart music that gets weird. I'm glad people are donating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Why are you upset people are donating to a charity?

If someone they knew died "seconds ago", I would hope they would have something better to do.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Random Stranger posted:

If someone they knew died "seconds ago", I would hope they would have something better to do.

Who cares

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

You're still just complaining about people who are donating to charity lol

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
"My mother recently died of cancer.." "Jinjo! WHEE!!!"

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Theres plenty of valid reasons to complain about people donating to charity. For example: Donating to Child's Play.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

snodig posted:

I'm late to the party, but holy poo poo how awkward

http://youtu.be/06rW7LSUQ80

Goddamn

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Random Stranger posted:

Just ones on Rare games.

The only good Rare games are Snake, Rattle, and Roll and Blast Corps. At least the first is being run this time.

Excuse me, Solar Jetman was loving boss. :colbert:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

He's not complaining about the donations, he's complaining about the messages which all seem to involve a family member dying recently.

I kinda wish they would start picking messages to read that didn't involve donator's father, uncle, nephew, and brother all dying of cancer.

ed: holy poo poo i was being hyperbolic, but that was an actual message :psyduck:

ed2: actually i take it back, i just want them to end this terrible DKR segment

Synastren fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 5, 2015

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Some of you sound really selfish.The point of donation readings is not for the viewer's personal entertainment. If you don't understand why the readings may drive a person that is a surviving family member of somebody affected/killed by the disease to donate money and leave message about what circumstances lead them to donate then I don't know what to tell you other than you are probably an rear end in a top hat.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
I hope the megaman race is better than this

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Synastren posted:

He's not complaining about the donations, he's complaining about the messages which all seem to involve a family member dying recently.

Hell, not even "recently"; what monster would complain about that? It was one message where the person died "second ago".

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Wow, I didn't realize how big the stream room is this year.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

The insane retards behind AGDQ really need to put thier foot down and ban these 100% completion snooze-a-thons. Or at least schedule them for 3am.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

African AIDS cum posted:

I hope the megaman race is better than this

(No Shirt)

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

beep by grandpa posted:

Some of you sound really selfish.The point of donation readings is not for the viewer's personal entertainment. If you don't understand why the readings may drive a person that is a surviving family member of somebody affected/killed by the disease to donate money and leave message about what circumstances lead them to donate then I don't know what to tell you other than you are probably an rear end in a top hat.

I'm not at all against people donating because they have a personal stake in the cause; that's great and fine and fantastic. My concern is what was alluded to about people lying about losses in order to get their 20 seconds of internet fame, and the surprising number of people who have suffered losses in the last month week moments before or so that have been read on stream. And from a production standpoint, it's incredibly jarring to go from "Someone I love very much died from cancer, and it was a grievous loss" to some silly and happy video game, with no way to transition from one to the other.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Um, My Beloved Family Member Went Out To 'The Farm' Last Month And I Hear That They Have A Big Field To Play In, Which Sounds Nice. Anyways, Have A Nice Day And Enjoy This $25 Dollars. *camera pans back to people playing boring as gently caress racing game for 2 hours*

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
You guys should have seen earlier marathons before they learned to filter better, it was literally hours of non-stop depressing stories of inordinate length about people dying from cancer. There were novels written and they read everything.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Depressing comments are the only ones that have any actual content to read though. Look at the tracker, and apart from that it's all dumb memes and variations on "first donation/gently caress cancer/I love [game]/save the animals."

I can see why they want to read some comments, and the vast majority of the non-depressing ones aren't worth the energy it would take for the announcer to open their mouth.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Um, My Beloved Family Member Went Out To 'The Farm' Last Month And I Hear That They Have A Big Field To Play In, Which Sounds Nice. Anyways, Have A Nice Day And Enjoy This $25 Dollars. *camera pans back to people playing boring as gently caress racing game for 2 hours*

:lol:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
So uh is this a stream for ants or are ads that much more important that they have to be on 24/7?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Synastren posted:

I'm not at all against people donating because they have a personal stake in the cause; that's great and fine and fantastic. My concern is what was alluded to about people lying about losses in order to get their 20 seconds of internet fame, and the surprising number of people who have suffered losses in the last month week moments before or so that have been read on stream. And from a production standpoint, it's incredibly jarring to go from "Someone I love very much died from cancer, and it was a grievous loss" to some silly and happy video game, with no way to transition from one to the other.
Everything you just complained about is nonsense. Anyone who has any real problems with anything you just said about getting their feelings hurt about cancer stories could be solved by deciding not to watch a cancer research charity drive.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
They should make people sign an affidavit before donating imo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Synastren posted:

i don't know if you knew this, but lots of people die from cancer all the time.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Just be glad they cancelled the MINECRAFT speedrun.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I missed SGDQ last year, don't they donate to the MSF for that one?

If yes, how many donations were lame jokes about Peace Walker?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Maybe the real out of control growth that is killing all of us are N64 collectathons.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
I hr left to go, man they need to put Spike or somebody on the mic and liven up the place, its Dead. Hell, i've heard TNA house shows more excited.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

flyboi posted:

So uh is this a stream for ants or are ads that much more important that they have to be on 24/7?

C A P I T A L I S M

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Crain posted:

They're not running anything. Dunno why. Also Cosmo has just been playing ssmb lately.

Yeah no kidding, it's like a 24/7 Smathathon with him.

zari-gani posted:

The Yetee's site keeps going down. They recently moved to a new cloud server to prepare for the AGDQ onslaught but they're still getting hammered. On the plus side, despite the issues, they're selling shirts faster than ever and have raised over $6500 already.

ETA: My design's been mentioned here before but what the hell, plugging it again 'cause it's for charity.

http://www.theyetee.com/agdq/

That's a drat good design.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cubey posted:

i don't know if you knew this, but lots of people die from cancer all the time.

we've already had over 120k concurrent viewers at multiple points it's not very unlikely that a handful of them are people who lost people to cancer recently

ullerrm posted:

Guessing the couch is where that light is shining between the two projectors?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
At least three people have dedicated a not insignificant portion of their lives to speedrunning Diddy Kong Racing

A thing that is true

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Dizz posted:

"My mother recently died of cancer.." "Jinjo! WHEE!!!"

AGDQ 2015: My mother recently died of cancer.. Jinjo! WHEE!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Good Citizen posted:

At least three people have dedicated a not insignificant portion of their lives to speedrunning Diddy Kong Racing

A thing that is true

they cant be forum superstars like us, friend

Secht
Oct 5, 2012
This race is loving boring.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

With the amount of people that die from cancer there's no real reason to disbelieve them. If you live long enough, you will know people who develop cancer.

It's just a little off-putting to juxtapose these really somber messages with a dumb fun video game event. Sucks the energy out of it, and they need all the energy they can get with this DKR marathon. Basically they need someone to be hyped about this, whether it's someone on the couch or the announcer.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

ullerrm posted:

Why don't they set it up so you can see the crowd behind the runners? Don't really understand why you'd set up a big event to get people to donate then just stick the camera in the corner of the room looking at a wall.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
Even at its Diddy Kong Racingest this is still a better charity event than Desert Bus For Hope has become.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

flatluigi posted:

we've already had over 120k concurrent viewers at multiple points it's not very unlikely that a handful of them are people who lost people to cancer recently

also the vast majority of comments about someone they know having cancer are not of them even dying from it. i mean poo poo there are three people in my family who have had cancer, one of whom did die of it.

cancer is extremely common and i find it incredibly hard to believe that there are very many people at all who have not been affected by it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

CJ posted:

Why don't they set it up so you can see the crowd behind the runners? Don't really understand why you'd set up a big event to get people to donate then just stick the camera in the corner of the room looking at a wall.

They've done that before, looks weird when it isn't full and the sound is harder to control.

• Locked thread