Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

My bounty so far from B&N:
2 TIE Advanced
2 TIE Interceptors
1 Firespray
1 A Wing
1 Y Wing

Got hard to find stuff, and filled in missing holes in my collection. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
If we are talking tournament squad, I did a store thing a week ago with :

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (46)
Expose (4)
Ysanne Isard (4)
Rebel Captive (3)

"Howlrunner" (18)

Academy Pilot (12) X 2

I came in 3rd out of 8 people, so not too shabby.

Went against one guy who was using a ramming build Decimator and 2 Phantoms. He kept overshooting me (somehow) with his Deci, so I was more or less handed that round.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
For the Store championships in this area, I'm going to be running a modified version of my league tournament build (currently in the semis, out of a four round tournament).

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R2-D2 (4)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Squad Leader (2)

Corran Horn (35)
Fire Control System (2)
Marksmanship (3)

Total: 100

Thoughts?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Strobe posted:

For the Store championships in this area, I'm going to be running a modified version of my league tournament build (currently in the semis, out of a four round tournament).

Biggs Darklighter (25)
R2-D2 (4)

Wedge Antilles (29)
Squad Leader (2)

Corran Horn (35)
Fire Control System (2)
Marksmanship (3)

Total: 100

Thoughts?

Is R2-D2 on Biggs working out for you? Biggs usually eats it so early, I don't know that the shield regen makes sense on him.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
In both of the previous games in this single-elimination tournament, Biggs has survived until the end of the game. Between the two games, he has regenerated 18 shields.

I would say that yes, R2 is working well on him.

The trick is to avoid using him as a team-wide damage sink until he dies. Use him to force the enemy to split fire. Have Biggs take the first round of firing. Then let Corran take a shot from a ship or two, while Biggs keeps up with Wedge (typically I have Wedge K-turn and Biggs go straight so they're at the same spot, but going opposite directions). Next turn, Biggs peels off to cover Corran while Wedge goes off on his own for a turn. Turn three, Biggs turns back around to get Wedge in cover, and Corran swings around just close enough to get in on the action. Biggs has by now regenerated three shields and is at full, while both of my other ships have taken 1-3 points of damage, if I'm flying well.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 5, 2015

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Strobe posted:

In both of the previous games in this single-elimination tournament, Biggs has survived until the end of the game. Between the two games, he has regenerated 18 shields.

I would say that yes, R2 is working well on him.

The trick is to avoid using him as a team-wide damage sink until he dies. Use him to force the enemy to split fire. Have Biggs take the first round of firing. Then let Corran take a shot from a ship or two, while Biggs keeps up with Wedge (typically I have Wedge K-turn and Biggs go straight so they're at the same spot, but going opposite directions). Next turn, Biggs peels off to cover Corran while Wedge goes off on his own for a turn. Turn three, Biggs turns back around to get Wedge in cover, and Corran swings around just close enough to get in on the action. Biggs has by now regenerated three shields and is at full, while both of my other ships have taken 1-3 points of damage, if I'm flying well.

Interesting. I still have yet to get the hang of running Rebels with any reliability, but this will hopefully come in handy, thanks.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Running Biggs effectively is literally the only thing I'm actually good at. The rest is mostly hoping for good dice.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Anyone ever see an event were only generic pilots are allowed? My store is running one. Sort of threw a wrench into my thinking. Still 100 points.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

jassi007 posted:

Anyone ever see an event were only generic pilots are allowed?

No, because it's pretty silly. You can expect to see nothing but TIE swarms, Z-95 swarms, B-wing "swarms" and maybe A-wings with Proton Rockets.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

jassi007 posted:

Anyone ever see an event were only generic pilots are allowed? My store is running one. Sort of threw a wrench into my thinking. Still 100 points.

Some Imperial players talked the store into a "pirate tournament" where you can only bring one of each ship and no unique pilots or upgrades. You could mix Imperial and Rebel. It wasn't that interesting.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

So based on the tourney I attended, I think Vessery (Defender)/HLC/VI, Omicron Group Pilot (Shuttle)/AdSensors and Soontir/Targeting Comp/PtL, I think I need to rethink the list. Basically, the issue I had is that although I could get my guys to focus fire quite regularly, after the initial shoot-out my firepower tended to be pretty small, mostly due to the Shuttle facing the wrong way, Soontir mostly being forced to do defensive rather than offensive moves and only realistically the Defender being able to fire back. This was especially true when I faced things that could take a pounding, especially Decimators.

I decided to change the setup quite radically after talking about it with my friend after the tourney was finished:

Bounty Hunter (33)

Colonel Vessery (35)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)

Total: 98

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

The Firespray should mean that I have more consistent firepower on the enemies main threat thanks to the rear firing arc/higher maneuverability over the shuttle, while still having a ship that can provide Vessery a target lock. It does mean that I lose some firepower on the HLC but I think it is worth it overall. The extra two points I would use either for a Targeting Computer for Soontir (which has worked well in the past) or an autothruster. Thoughts?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, because it's pretty silly. You can expect to see nothing but TIE swarms, Z-95 swarms, B-wing "swarms" and maybe A-wings with Proton Rockets.

Well, and those generic pilots that can still take Elite cards.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003

Tekopo posted:

So based on the tourney I attended, I think Vessery (Defender)/HLC/VI, Omicron Group Pilot (Shuttle)/AdSensors and Soontir/Targeting Comp/PtL, I think I need to rethink the list. Basically, the issue I had is that although I could get my guys to focus fire quite regularly, after the initial shoot-out my firepower tended to be pretty small, mostly due to the Shuttle facing the wrong way, Soontir mostly being forced to do defensive rather than offensive moves and only realistically the Defender being able to fire back. This was especially true when I faced things that could take a pounding, especially Decimators.

I decided to change the setup quite radically after talking about it with my friend after the tourney was finished:

Bounty Hunter (33)

Colonel Vessery (35)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)

Total: 98

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

The Firespray should mean that I have more consistent firepower on the enemies main threat thanks to the rear firing arc/higher maneuverability over the shuttle, while still having a ship that can provide Vessery a target lock. It does mean that I lose some firepower on the HLC but I think it is worth it overall. The extra two points I would use either for a Targeting Computer for Soontir (which has worked well in the past) or an autothruster. Thoughts?

I was thinking about a list which is pretty much a copy of this one once my firespray arrives in the mail this week. Assuming it arrives on time and I get to use it I'll let you know how it goes.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

jassi007 posted:

A local LGS has hosted three special ANH / ESB / RoTJ tournaments, nothing special beyond bonus points for using limited ships. ANH was basically X-wings, Y-wings, TIE fighters and TIE advanced... ESB was much the same with Slave-1 and the Falcon... RoTJ was pretty much the full field.

Bonus points for using named characters in the films too, i.e. Luke, Boba, Lando, etc.

...and then there was individual prizes for highest scoring Han / highest scoring Boba / etc.

You could still rock up with a list that didn't stick to those rules, you just didn't score bonus store championship points. That's the way it should be to be honest. Give people an incentive to try something different without dissuading the people who don't want to adhere to wacky composition rules.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

jassi007 posted:

4X Royal Guard Pilots with PTL. Game over man. Game over. Highest generic PS, plus PTL arc dodging with interceptors. Why bring anything else?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Hot Dog Day #31 posted:

I was thinking about a list which is pretty much a copy of this one once my firespray arrives in the mail this week. Assuming it arrives on time and I get to use it I'll let you know how it goes.
Gonna get to try it this weekend hopefully. I also want to try this (I wanna fly more X-Wings, none of my lists seem to feature them):

PILOTS

Wes Janson (31)
X-Wing (29), Decoy (2)

Wedge Antilles (34)
X-Wing (29), R2 Astromech (1), Opportunist (4)

Keyan Farlander (35)
B-Wing (29), Fire-Control System (2), Opportunist (4)

Idea being that you have Wes fire first (this is the reason for decoy), allowing you to remove focus/evade tokens, then use Wedge and Keyan to bring in the hurt. Works well with Keyan because he can just get rid of the stress, while Wedge has an R2 in order to make it easier for him to get rid of the stress. Should be fun to fly and quite a lot of firepower available. Probably vulnerable to quite a lot of stuff though and not much staying power. FCS isn't integral to the list, just had two points spare, probably would use them for bidding initiative instead.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

pbpancho posted:

4X Royal Guard Pilots with PTL. Game over man. Game over. Highest generic PS, plus PTL arc dodging with interceptors. Why bring anything else?

I already have 6 Interceptors and don't want to buy 2 more is why.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

I already have 6 Interceptors and don't want to buy 2 more is why.
Drop two to Sabers, get a Targeting Computer or just use the extra 2 points for initiative (most of the stuff there is gonna be 4 PS anyway, so if you have initiative you are still good).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Your best bet with all non named ships is still prob 3B 2A

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So I just got my Falcon in and want to build around Lando, the best Star Wars char of all time. Is there any recommended builds? I know 3PO, but IDK if I want to dip into the $60 ships

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
I don't play much rebel but I was wondering if this list would work at all

[Unnamed Squadron]
==================

Click to change squadron details

100 points

Pilots
------

Rookie Pilot (21)

Garven Dreis (26)

Airen Cracken (25)
Z-95 Headhunter (19), Cluster Missiles (4), Squad Leader (2)

Biggs Darklighter (28)
X-Wing (25), R2-F2 (3)

The idea being, load Biggs up with focuses for the first round of shooting with Airen and Garven's abilities so he doesn't bite it early, then once you're in position, you drop the cluster missiles which means 2 pilots get an extra actions (either focus or TL) from his 2 attacks, then an extra focus from Garven as well. Basically you set up a power turn where you fire off 5 3-dice shots at range 1-2, 4/5 of which have both a focus and a target lock. I've also thought about subbing out Biggs for Wedge and giving Airen Veteran Instincts for more offense. Good, bad, meh?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

What are you squad leadering Airen for?

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.
In a fit of hubris, I've signed myself up for a store championship, despite only ever playing about three previous matches. I'm torn between two lists making use of the stuff I've bought, one rebel and one imperial:

Whisper + advanced cloaking device
Lt.Lorrir
Royal Guard Pilot + push the limit
Dark Curse

Or

Wedge + R2-F2, Flechette torp, predator.
Red Squadron Pilot + proton torp, R7-T1.
Jake Farrell + A-wing test pilot, PTL, outmanoeuvre, proton rockets.

I'm fully prepared to lose horribly, but which of these will help put up the most resistance? I tried forming an imperial list around the TIE Defender, but it's so overpriced and doesn't really have a specific niche.

apropos to nothing
Sep 5, 2003
To help the lower skill x wing pilots get target locks in case they were outside of range after they moved but aren't now that Airen has moved with his higher PS. After he's fired his missiles, I'd much rather him lose an action and give it to a lower PS pilot with 3 dice since he only has 2.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

zVxTeflon posted:

What are you squad leadering Airen for?

Presumably to give a focus to Garvin and pass it along, getting what is (for all intents and purposes) three focuses for the price of one.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
So i am getting back into the game after initially picking up my fleets when the game launched ( no one was playing so i just shelved them ). There is a pretty big following and the store own has offered me a bounty if i can beat the stores champ in a tournament match ( im one of the top magic players at the shop ). I am thinking about just busting out an 8 tie list with 2 squads of four, i think the dude normally runs a fat han with a mini swarm of z95s. Do you think this list would match up?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

jhorphear posted:

So i am getting back into the game after initially picking up my fleets when the game launched ( no one was playing so i just shelved them ). There is a pretty big following and the store own has offered me a bounty if i can beat the stores champ in a tournament match ( im one of the top magic players at the shop ). I am thinking about just busting out an 8 tie list with 2 squads of four, i think the dude normally runs a fat han with a mini swarm of z95s. Do you think this list would match up?

It could, but you will need practice flying it. It's hard to just do the math to win, but swarms typically have the best chance against Fat Han.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

I plan on getting practice in, the next tournament isn't for another month. I am really unaware of the current meta though, i see people talking about missle strats being a really hard counter to the swarm, but does anyone run those?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Everyone complains about Falcons but nobody runs swarms to counter them.

susan
Jan 14, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Everyone complains about Falcons but nobody runs swarms to counter them.

My brother's running a Soontir + Academy Swarm for our local Store Championships, and I'm running a 5-ship Rebel miniswarm that'll likely get shot out of the sky because I'm the worst at this.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

susan posted:

My brother's running a Soontir + Academy Swarm for our local Store Championships, and I'm running a 5-ship Rebel miniswarm that'll likely get shot out of the sky because I'm the worst at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrpBLDWyCI

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Has anyone tried Vader + Expert Handling? I'm looking to anchor a Howlswarm and unless I'm missing something, that looks like it gives three actions a turn like Soontir/PtL.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Its an action to use it so you wont get 3 actions. All it does for ships with baseline BR is remove a Target lock and not give you a stress.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Quick question: If I have a unit that has a focus token and a stress token, and it gained both of them in the same turn, am I able to use the focus token that turn? I.e if I have a weapon that requires a focus token to be spent?

Edit: \/\/\/ Cheers

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 7, 2015

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

yes

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yesterday at the FLGS was glorious. I came early with my friend since he wanted some practice before the weekly x-wing night. The entire store was occupied by Star Wars games: LCG, x-wing, and Impasse. The tournament ended up having 10 players, while 8 players stayed throughout the evening playing impasse and a couple for the LCG. Thankfully the typical magic standard crowd wasn't there - prob cuz the format is stale and boring.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Yesterday at the FLGS was glorious. I came early with my friend since he wanted some practice before the weekly x-wing night. The entire store was occupied by Star Wars games: LCG, x-wing, and Impasse. The tournament ended up having 10 players, while 8 players stayed throughout the evening playing impasse and a couple for the LCG. Thankfully the typical magic standard crowd wasn't there - prob cuz the format is stale and boring.

Neither standard or modern are stale or boring at the moment. standard seems to be changing every week and there are a ton of competitive decks in modern right now.

But aside from that, ill be heading down for my first x-wing game night tonight, gonna see if i can pilot some sweet 8 tie swarm action.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Am I correct in thinking I cannot use R5-D8 as my free action with Push The Limit? The PTL card text specifies 'an action listed in your action bar', which seems to exclude upgrade cards that don't expressly state your action bar is gaining a given ability (like Engine Upgrade does, for instance).

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

That's correct. You can always do something in your action bar and then PtL to use the droid though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Tekopo posted:

That's correct. You can always do something in your action bar and then PtL to use the droid though.

You're confusing me--I'm saying I thought you COULDN'T use the droid with PTL. Or did you mean to say 'use the droid for your action, then use PTL for something in your action bar'? I know THAT would be legal, I'm just trying to nail down the rules technicality. I'm preparing for my first tournament and things get can get thorny, what with all these 'actions', 'free actions', 'actions listed in your action bar', etc.

• Locked thread