Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

RyokoTK posted:

Maybe I would appreciate it more if I had played this game.

Hint: No one played this game. It's the anniversary anthology collection of poorly ported and disjointed TR games. It was known as crap from Day 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Harlock posted:

I've never played Transistor so I couldn't tell what was impressive or why he was doing this or that and was just generally bored.

the vast amount of cool poo poo about the game comes from wandering around and looking at stuff while enjoying the atmosphere which is all kinda ignored during the speedrun which mostly only consists of skipping fights and a couple weird combat tricks, so yeah, it's not really far off to call it boring.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012

Harlock posted:

I find it the other way around. If I haven't played a game it's more impressive when people glitch it out or break through it versus if I've played a game where someone just playing very optimally is impressive.

I've never played Transistor so I couldn't tell what was impressive or why he was doing this or that and was just generally bored.

I played Transistor and the parts where he annihilated a bunch of enemies/bosses in seconds was impressive. I remember getting killed on those last few encounters with the men a bunch of times

The part where he just dashed past everything was boring

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tomb Raider is generally kinda boring as gently caress so I'm pleasantly surprised at what's occurring even if the dude is bland.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Well if you guys want you can watch Nvidia's CES show about how they're going to cram a computer in your car because $$$

edit: "Nvidia Drive CX Digital Cockpit"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Harlock posted:

I find it the other way around. If I haven't played a game it's more impressive when people glitch it out or break through it versus if I've played a game where someone just playing very optimally is impressive.

I guess let me put it this way. I kinda like the Morrowind 5-minute speed run because I've played Morrowind, so I can appreciate the exploits and glitches the runner uses to finish the game quickly. I feel like if I had never played Morrowind before, I'd be really irritated by the run because it's a lot of zooming around in nothingness at warp speed and you have no context for what's going on, and then the game is over. I'd still rather see the guy actually play the game (so I'm definitely interested in the All Main Quests run coming up later) though. I probably just have a dumb opinion so I'll just drop it.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
After getting into Speedrunning Streams I just find regular Let's Plays boring as hell [save of course for a few delectable choices ("I just can't quit you!")].

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
In a way, that's why great commentary can help carry a run. It provides context for those without their own experience to say "hmm, this runner is doing a fantastic job."

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Crain posted:

Hint: No one played this game. It's the anniversary anthology collection of poorly ported and disjointed TR games. It was known as crap from Day 1.

It's a remake of the first game, not a collection of the original game in general.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sage Grimm posted:

In a way, that's why great commentary can help carry a run. It provides context for those without their own experience to say "hmm, this runner is doing a fantastic job."

Yeah I never played Tropical Freeze but it was really enjoyable. Spike Vegeta really sold everything.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Wario Land 4 is up next? I thought it was Uncharted.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
We call this ladder the Booty Ladder.

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Skeezy posted:

Wario Land 4 is up next? I thought it was Uncharted.

The "Up Next" section is broken.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Mr E posted:

It's a remake of the first game, not a collection of the original game in general.

Oh. Well it's still poo poo.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Your Computer posted:

And I prefer runs that are as glitched as possible (barring instant warping to credits) :shrug:
I think it's nice that they allow both types of run in this event.

e: A lot of the more glitched runs have some of the highest skill ceilings because the glitches themselves are hard to pull off.
It's nice with a bit of variety though, I feel like Cosmo's old OoT run strikes a great balance. Really wish there were more runs like that :allears:

His MST run of OoT was probably my most favorite thing in any of these marathons. It was long, but not absurdly slow, there were a huge number of tricks, and it still followed the general progression of the game enough that you could show it to people who aren't familiar with speedruns or really even OoT and they will be impressed.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010

Harlock posted:

Yeah I never played Tropical Freeze but it was really enjoyable. Spike Vegeta really sold everything.

Spike Vegeta literally owns and always does good commentary from what I've seen

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
There are always some boring runs in the schedule, be it because the runs themselves aren't too exciting or because the "well-spoken good-at-games nerd" is the rarest shiny beast of all. This couch is pretty bad too.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
This fight is dumb and boring and he keeps redoing it or maybe I've just finally lost it

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Man this game sucks, still a pretty interesting run though.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
This is why most of the run is OOB! :v:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sardonik posted:

Man this game sucks, still a pretty interesting run though.

Yeah I actually played this game once and it was dreadful.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
Guy skips most of the game, gets stuck actually playing it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Propaganda Hour posted:

This fight is dumb and boring and he keeps redoing it or maybe I've just finally lost it

No I think it's several different fights and the room repeats itself?

I take back what I said about the guy skipping stuff, this game looks really loving boring and bad. It's not really the runner's fault, I suppose.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Crain posted:

Oh. Well it's still poo poo.

You're not wrong, the first TR is terrible.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Finally a few donations about people not dying from cancer.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The creator of the Ridley doll is a fan and says the animation looks really good.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The creator of the Ridley doll is a fan and says the animation looks really good.

But what does Blueglass have to say

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

No I think it's several different fights and the room repeats itself?

I take back what I said about the guy skipping stuff, this game looks really loving boring and bad. It's not really the runner's fault, I suppose.

Yeah, the game shoved you through identical sections multiple times.

I think I gave up on playing this one about half an hour into it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Crain posted:

Finally a few donations about people not dying from cancer.

We are all dying slowly from barretta shots.

Reminder this game has an 84% on Metacritic. Games journalism.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

This game looks so bad lol

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Harlock posted:

We are all dying slowly from barretta shots.

Reminder this game has an 84% on Metacritic. Games journalism.

Must have been the booty ladder that put it over the 80.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Well that was way ahead of estimate.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Thank god it's over. And 40min ahead of time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

He set his PB. :)

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

Harlock posted:

He set his PV. :)

personal vest!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Wow young Gabe Newell on couch

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Good Citizen posted:

Wow young Gabe Newell on couch

LOL

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
gaben.... large.... lmao!

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
gabes a big guy . when he sits around the house, he really sits around it. haha , half life 3 anybody?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Uncharted time :getin:

• Locked thread