Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I'm a sucker for shakycam movies. Watching Paranormal Activity 5 right now and I'm gonna be up late tonight.

Wait, there is a 5th? I only knew that there was up to a 3rd. Who got possessed this time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Wait, there is a 5th? I only knew that there was up to a 3rd. Who got possessed this time?

In the 4th one there's a kid with a fork that tells the loving future.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tirechat: When you fine people buy tires, where do you go?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Tire Rack.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

keykey posted:

Tire Barn has treated me like a prince. They even fixed a flat on a tire I didn't buy there at no charge.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Goddamn right-rear knockoff wheel won't come off... I pounded the poo poo out of that knockoff wrench but it wasn't budging.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

a bigger hammer is always the answer.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

keykey posted:

Discount Tire Direct.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Powershift posted:

a bigger hammer is always the answer.

Sometimes a bigger hammer gets you into bigger trouble :v:

Pham, you know the knockoffs are lefthand on one side of the car and righthand on the other, right? I don't remember which side is which though, so maybe that is irrelevant on that particular wheel.

E: Tirechat: I have Costco tires on my daily and my truck. Dunno what their performance offerings are, if any.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jan 5, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Raluek posted:

Pham, you know the knockoffs are lefthand on one side of the car and righthand on the other, right? I don't remember which side is which though, so maybe that is irrelevant on that particular wheel.

yeah, but an even BIGGER hammer can get you out of that bigger trouble.

the answer is ALWAYS a bigger hammer.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

keykey posted:

I was originally going to order from Tirerack but America's Tire/Discount Tire actually had the better price for my tires (a pair of Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my tears, fronts still had over 5/16 tread on them) in store than what Tirerack was showing for their (before shipping cost) price. And then when I went in, they gave me a huge discount (gave me a pro-rated warranty discount since the outer edges of the tread had a tiny amount of delamination) on replacing my fronts (the new fronts cost me roughly $80 per tire including mount and balance, on tires which usually run about $240-250 each not including M&B).

Ended up with 4 new premium tires for $660 total (would have been over $1000 if I'd ordered from Tirerack and had them mounted locally).

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

leica posted:

Actually I wasn't wearing flip flops this time so I guess I hosed up? I did have sunglasses on tho.

Also I seem to be having horrible luck with electronic devices, anyone happen to know why the brand new JBL Charge speaker I bought seems to not like certain non bluetooth MP3 players through the aux input? My old Sandisk Sansa is barely audible with both devices turned all the way up.

The manufacturers of the players assume they'll be used with earbuds (which barely use/handle any power at all; we're talking milliwatts) instead of traditional headphones (which have larger speakers, and thus, need more power); they put out power in the milliwatt/millivolt range these days. For comparison, my car stereo puts out 4 volts on the RCA outputs (no idea on wattage, I'd assume it's miniscule, but still) - I bet if I wired a set of modern earbuds up to the RCA outputs, a lot of magic smoke would escape in a hurry.

A really good way to test this: get a set of cheap over-ear headphones from a dollar store. Try them on your Sansa. Then try them on a 90s Walkman. Crank up the Sansa as high as it can go, and you'll probably be able to carry on a conversation with the headphones on. Crank up the Walkman with the same headphones, and your ears will be ringing so bad that your neighbors will be shouting at you to answer that drat phone already.

Or try it with earbuds that you don't mind frying. I've already roasted one pair with a 90s Walkman I snagged from ebay. I just need to get some Journey cassettes for it.

Brigdh posted:

Generally power management involves running something faster/slower, or turning something off. The slower something runs, the less power it consumes. In a simple world, when you turn something off, it consumes no power. So, if you are checking email, and have a quad core processor, you probably want to turn off 3 of those cores and run the 4th one at a low to medium speed. This way, the phone consumes only enough power to provide a reasonable experience for the task of checking email, and hopefully no more.

Even the cheapest desktop and laptops do this today. My system (i5-2500k, stock 3.3 GHz, but OC'd to 4.2 GHz) throttles back to about 800 or 900? mhz when idle. The only time I've ever seen all 4 cores at 100% is if I'm doing some sort of torture testing. It's a fantastic way of getting really good battery life out of a compact package, as long as you don't fire up Crysis on your $2000 Alienware laptop while on battery power.

At idle (but not sleeping/hibernating), it pulls about 50 watts from the wall outlet. When sleeping, about 5-6 watts, 8-10 if I'm charging my phone off of it. When gaming, i've seen it pull over 300W.... until the PSU says "gently caress this". The PSU is barely adequate for my video card and drives, before you factor in the CPU and RAM... I just don't want to drop $100 on a good power supply. :effort:

I remember having 486s with multiple hard drives that made the lights through the whole house dim briefly when powered on.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 5, 2015

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

I remember having 486s with multiple hard drives that made the lights through the whole house dim briefly when powered on.

I have a 2GB SCSI external drive that does this. Takes it tens of seconds to spin up. :getin:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
This weekend I met some super spergy awesome megasquirt geeks here in town. They're engineers so the conversation are sometimes over my head, but they're really nice so I hope they'll help me take my MS knowledge to the next level.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

The manufacturers of the players assume they'll be used with earbuds (which barely use/handle any power at all; we're talking milliwatts) instead of traditional headphones (which have larger speakers, and thus, need more power); they put out power in the milliwatt/millivolt range these days.

A really good way to test this: get a set of cheap over-ear headphones. Try them on your Sansa. Then try them on a 90s Walkman. Crank up the Sansa as high as it can go, and you'll be able to carry on a conversation with the headphones on. Crank up the Walkman with the same headphones, and your ears will be ringing so bad that your neighbors will be shouting at you to answer that drat phone already.

Or try it with earbuds that you don't mind frying. I've already roasted one pair with a 90s Walkman I snagged from ebay. I just need to get some Journey cassettes for it.

I'd try that test if I had a 90's walkman :v:

Kind of a bummer about the Sansa, but tomorrow I'm picking up a Samsung Galaxy player for 30 bucks so I just solved my problem :)

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Even the cheapest desktop and laptops do this today. My system (i5-2500k, stock 3.3 GHz, but OC'd to 4.2 GHz) throttles back to about 800 or 900? mhz when idle. The only time I've ever seen all 4 cores at 100% is if I'm doing some sort of torture testing. It's a fantastic way of getting really good battery life out of a compact package, as long as you don't fire up Crysis on your $2000 Alienware laptop while on battery power.

At idle (but not sleeping/hibernating), it pulls about 50 watts from the wall outlet. When sleeping, about 5-6 watts, 8-10 if I'm charging my phone off of it. When gaming, i've seen it pull over 300W.... until the PSU says "gently caress this". The PSU is barely adequate for my video card and drives, before you factor in the CPU and RAM... I just don't want to drop $100 on a good power supply. :effort:

Clock scaling of the processing cores is a very basic technique that has been around forever. So yeah, I'm be surprised if your desktop/laptop didn't do it. Its conceptually simple to understand which makes it a great trivial example, particularly when one is attempting to keep a technical reply on point. It also happens to be archaic, crude, and less effective that one might think, particularly compared to what other options there are.

You rarely see 100% usage these days for a generic work load for two main reasons - the hardware is juggling things around to keep thermal/leakage issues in check, and the performance disparity between the processor and the rest of the system is so great that is difficult to keep the processor busy. We've gotten some of our development devices up to the 7Ghz range for fun, but step one involves borrowing the cold stress testing freezer that normally operates at -40...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Raluek posted:

E: Tirechat: I have Costco tires on my daily and my truck. Dunno what their performance offerings are, if any.

Yeah, I'm turning according to the "UNDO" lettering on the wheel hub. It worked for the front but not the back. Maybe I'll try a cheater bar.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Brigdh posted:

Clock scaling of the processing cores is a very basic technique that has been around forever. So yeah, I'm be surprised if your desktop/laptop didn't do it. Its conceptually simple to understand which makes it a great trivial example, particularly when one is attempting to keep a technical reply on point. It also happens to be archaic, crude, and less effective that one might think, particularly compared to what other options there are.

You rarely see 100% usage these days for a generic work load for two main reasons - the hardware is juggling things around to keep thermal/leakage issues in check, and the performance disparity between the processor and the rest of the system is so great that is difficult to keep the processor busy. We've gotten some of our development devices up to the 7Ghz range for fun, but step one involves borrowing the cold stress testing freezer that normally operates at -40...

Forgot to mention undervolting as well - I've seen my CPU drop down to 0.9V and below. I never figured such a powerful item could run at the millivolt level.

I don't even pretend to understand how it works, I just look at the numbers on the Kill-A-Watt, and watch HWiNFO64. I know there's quite a bit of juggling between the GPU and CPU for a lot of stuff these days, but beyond that I'm completely lost. I know how to assemble the poo poo and make it work, but I'm not kastein.

When I stopped reading hardocp.com years ago, they'd managed over 5.5 GHz out of an i5 or i7, with liquid nitrogen.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

HotCanadianChick posted:

I was originally going to order from Tirerack but America's Tire/Discount Tire actually had the better price for my tires (a pair of Michelin Pilot Super Sports for my tears, fronts still had over 5/16 tread on them) in store than what Tirerack was showing for their (before shipping cost) price. And then when I went in, they gave me a huge discount (gave me a pro-rated warranty discount since the outer edges of the tread had a tiny amount of delamination) on replacing my fronts (the new fronts cost me roughly $80 per tire including mount and balance, on tires which usually run about $240-250 each not including M&B).

Ended up with 4 new premium tires for $660 total (would have been over $1000 if I'd ordered from Tirerack and had them mounted locally).

For the hankooks I have (v12s, need a new set this year) tirerack is $13 cheaper per tire msrp, plus I have a wholesale account there. Would love to hook people up with tires but you'd have to be near me and pick them up for it to be worth it. I am glad that I didn't get my dad tires though. He's had to have 3 replaced in like a year through roadside warranty and Les Schwab gets to deal with that instead of me.

So tempting to buy RS3s instead but I would like them to last a little longer. For some reason they make the RS3 v2 in 215/45-17 and not 225, but it is wider than the 225/45-17 V12 I would get.

Hey, know what we don't have? A tire thread.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jan 5, 2015

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

jamal posted:

For the hankooks I have (v12s, need a new set this year) tirerack is $13 cheaper per tire msrp, plus I have a wholesale account there. Would love to hook people up with tires but you'd have to be near me and pick them up for it to be worth it. I am glad that I didn't get my dad tires though. He's had to have 3 replaced in like a year through roadside warranty and Les Schwab gets to deal with that instead of me.

You can't drop ship by any chance?
I'm going to be looking for a set of tires pretty soon, possibly 2 sets.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I've had 2 replaced under road hazard in the past 6 months alone - on top of 3 repairable flats.

This is why I always buy from a national company with a local presence, instead of some random tire shop that's not an authorized distributor. Discount Tire is usually drat good, though they hosed up two of my wheels pretty badly this time around. Still waiting for their corporate office to approve refinishing or replacing the wheels. :sigh: They also just dropped the spare tire in the trunk this last time (usually they'll put it back where it goes, or at least ask me where I want it if they can't get to the spare tire area).. they dropped it right against the rubber surround on my sub and ripped it. :argh:

This last visit has me seriously reconsidering ever using Discount/America's Tire again, but damnit, they're cheap, and 99% of the time, do great work.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Jan 5, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
The manufacturer still has a warranty, and even if you go through Jim's discount tire and he orders them from tire rack it will probably be taken care of pretty quickly. I don't keep stuff around, but every time someone has had an issue with a part the manufacturer has sent a replacement out right away with a pre-paid return shipping label. Not very helpful if you have a destroyed tire and have to wait 4 days though.

mafoose posted:

You can't drop ship by any chance?

Nope, they don't do that unfortunately, and everyone else I deal with does which is super convenient. Unless it is going to Canada. I have to go to the post office, or even all the way to Canada for those jerks.

jamal fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 5, 2015

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I've been back at work for almost 90 minutes and I'm about ready to quit. I forgot how bad this place was for me over Christmas but between not being able to sleep last night and the malaise today it's alllll coming back. :(

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Tirechat: Thanks for the ideas! The Cooper S takes run flats (no spare) and the place I usually get tires at doesn't stock run flats for reasons that the nearest Mini dealership is about 90 miles away. Needless to say, there's not much demand for Cooper S run flats where we're at and I'll be needing to replace them with tax money this year.

jammyozzy posted:

I've been back at work for almost 90 minutes and I'm about ready to quit. I forgot how bad this place was for me over Christmas but between not being able to sleep last night and the malaise today it's alllll coming back. :(

I'm back at work for the opposite reason today. I just had 16 days off, but I didn't get to relax a single goddamn day. Thank god I'm back to work so I can relax. Yesterday was going to be the day where I said,"gently caress it, IT'S MY DAAAAAY!" But then I got to detail my wife's grandparents car.. gently caress. That was rigoddamndiculous. I'm pretty sure they haven't cleaned it a single day since they got it. There was some mystery yellowish/white ring in the back seat cloth I couldn't get out which looks like something just sat there and festered for a while that corroded. In any case, glad I'm back to work so I can actually relax a bit.. At least until the students/faculty show up next week. This job would be the best ever if it weren't for the students and faculty.

keykey fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 5, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The manufacturers of the players assume they'll be used with earbuds (which barely use/handle any power at all; we're talking milliwatts) instead of traditional headphones (which have larger speakers, and thus, need more power); they put out power in the milliwatt/millivolt range these days. For comparison, my car stereo puts out 4 volts on the RCA outputs (no idea on wattage, I'd assume it's miniscule, but still) - I bet if I wired a set of modern earbuds up to the RCA outputs, a lot of magic smoke would escape in a hurry.

A really good way to test this: get a set of cheap over-ear headphones from a dollar store. Try them on your Sansa. Then try them on a 90s Walkman. Crank up the Sansa as high as it can go, and you'll probably be able to carry on a conversation with the headphones on. Crank up the Walkman with the same headphones, and your ears will be ringing so bad that your neighbors will be shouting at you to answer that drat phone already.

Another reason is that due to EU legislation, "personal media players" sold in the EU must have a soft limit of 85dB using the stock head/earphones. Up to 100dB is allowed, but the device must display a warning which the user has to acknowledge if they want to turn up further than 85dB. Some manufacturers just stick to the 85dB limit because they can't be bothered to implement the warning prompt. All of this probably bleeds over into other markets as well, since most manufacturers are lazy and can't be bothered to make EU-specific firmware versions.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

keykey posted:

Tirechat: Thanks for the ideas! The Cooper S takes run flats (no spare) and the place I usually get tires at doesn't stock run flats for reasons that the nearest Mini dealership is about 90 miles away. Needless to say, there's not much demand for Cooper S run flats where we're at and I'll be needing to replace them with tax money this year.

Do yourself a favour and get non-runflats and some roadside assistance service (either AAA or something through your auto insurance). Runflats give a terrible, lovely ride and the improvement from switching to normal tires is vast.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Thank you for this. For the longest time I thought my mp3 players were just poo poo, since I'd always use them with my 15-year-old headphones. I even returned some because they were so quiet. Then I tried them with earbuds, and HOLY poo poo I CAN SUDDENLY ROCK OUT AGAIN!

And I never knew why until your post.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Year and a half ago I moved positions away from my old boss and her boss. We're still good friends though and day before Christmas I'm out a lunch with my old boss's boss (who is also the same guy my new boss reports to). I kinda sorta just told him straight up that my new boss is basically never around and I've seen him maybe 6 times over the course of 18 months and I've just lost all motivation. Fast forward to today and effectively immediately I no longer report to new boss and now instead report to the VP and at some point in the next 90 days my title jumps from Supervisor to Manager.

:stare:

I'm loving terrified.

Edit: I should say this is exactly what I needed though, back to having a boss that gives a poo poo. I should be less terrified and more yay but anxiety.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 5, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Anyone in or near Richmond, VA should come out to my garage party on Saturday. iForge and Terrible Robot will be there, with a bunch of other AI maybes. Also like 30 local friends and 10 or 15 EvE goons.

PM me for details. Also goony goon goon etc etc.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

HotCanadianChick posted:

Do yourself a favour and get non-runflats and some roadside assistance service (either AAA or something through your auto insurance). Runflats give a terrible, lovely ride and the improvement from switching to normal tires is vast.

Fair enough, I already have AAA.. However the idea that I can't just limp it to a tire shop to get a nail or other road/country debris out kinda sucks.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
this cancer thing is growing old, fast.

I fainted while doing a brake job today, it was mayhem so i had to wrench abit myself. I was just sitting there sanding the gliders and the next thing i remember i am lying on the floor next to the bus, with a huge gash in my head.

My boys refused to listen to me, and called an ambulance, i got to the ER and got 16 stitches, got some blood transfused. seems i have to do weekly transfusion. My blood counts are really bad.

In better news, two of my temp workers accepted my offer to hire them on properly, and my best tech agreed to become foreman. Now i just have to hire a decent parts guy so i dont have to use one of my better techs to fill the spot.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Hey, Mountain Cod, can I just say that every one of your posts bring a smile to my face. You've been dealt a lovely hand, but your attitude kicks so much rear end. I really hope you pull through this.

Also shouldn't you be posting and updating a bus garage thread?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fjelltorsk posted:

My boys refused to listen to me, and called an ambulance, i got to the ER and got 16 stitches, got some blood transfused. seems i have to do weekly transfusion. My blood counts are really bad.

Sounds like your boys were wise to make that call, though :ohdear:

gently caress cancer.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I've heard that attitude really plays a big role in fighting cancer, and based on your posts you're doing a good job at keeping your spirits up. It's inspiring, really. Best of luck, man.

Also gently caress cancer, gently caress it bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Stuart Scott's mindset on cancer is incredibly inspiring.

“You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live.”

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
:ohdear: Beat that loving cancer. Beat it up and throw it to the curb!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Danger 5 is the best TV show.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
^^^ danger 5 is hilarious thanks for reminding me to download it again now that I finally picked up an external with some space

Rhyno posted:

Stuart Scott's mindset on cancer is incredibly inspiring.

“You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and in the manner in which you live.”

Was since he died yesterday :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

rscott posted:

Was since he died yesterday :(

It's still inspiring, he may be gone but his attitude and the way he lived will continue to inspire.
Rich Eisen finding out live on the air must have been the worst way to find out your best friend has died. I didn't get to see it until well into the evening and it still made me cry like a baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Speaking of cancer and loving it, go watch Awesome Games Done Quick. Nerds are speed running games for the entire week and breaking them in hilarious ways. It's a week long donation drive that is going to the Prevent Cancer Foundation. :)

Remember last February where it was Twitch Plays Pokemon? Last night, some nerds took complete control over a Pokemon Red cart plugged into a Super Gameboy and fed the IRC chat into the SNES; thereby creating... Pokemon Plays Twitch.

• Locked thread