Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

DnD having themselves a circlejerk over the F-35 program is the absolute last thing I wanna read.

:shrek: It's me, I touched the poop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
look, here in the gun forum people know a lot more about planes

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Baracula posted:

look, here in the gun forum people know a lot more about planes

An unironically true statement.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Considering how many people post here and in the Aeronautical Insanity thread in AI (complete with grognard acronyms!), I'm inclined to agree.

Also, GBS has an F-35 thread

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

I feel obligated to repost my best content from the GBS F-35 thread. Again.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Welp, it looks like the M113 'Gavin' is going to soon be officially retired and phased out with the new Armored Multi-Purpose Vehicle (or AMPV), which is just a tracked variation of the Stryker Bradley that's had its armor up-scaled.

30 some odd years later, the Bradley now fills the role it was originally intended to. :downsgun:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2014/12/24/bae-wins-1-2b-contract-to-build-m113-replacement/

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Richard Schiff is gonna be stoked.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXQ2lO3ieBA

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Back Hack posted:

Welp, it looks like the M113 'Gavin' is going to soon be officially retired and phased out with the new Armored Multi-Purpose Vehicle (or AMPV), which is just a tracked variation of the Stryker Bradley that's had its armor up-scaled.

30 some odd years later, the Bradley now fills the role it was originally intended to. :downsgun:

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2014/12/24/bae-wins-1-2b-contract-to-build-m113-replacement/

First comment

quote:

Glad to see the Bradley idea won out, some hint of common sense at work. I'd be happier if their was a model that would be sporting some kind of mobile land based anti-ship missile. Then the Army would actually start to be relevant in the western Pacific as compared to now. We need all four branches to be a deterrent to China, and with the Army trying to design a new 70 ton IFV, and the Congress forcing M1s onto them they don't want or need, I have concerns about that coming to pass.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
......holy loving poo poo

I.... I just posted what I thought was peak dumb about the Bradley, and the net trumps me in under a minute

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

I was going to say, if we're talking Bradley someone had better post some Pentagon Wars.

It was a new experience for me watching that movie with a bunch of other T&E guys....our DT brethren came up to visit us at OT before Christmas and we knew they were okay when once of them whipped out his external HD and asked us if we wanted to watch some Pentagon Wars.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The army getting its own navy now?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

quote:

What the Army really needs is a platform to launch Manpads. As they retired the Linebacker. Removing the turret will allow for more FIM 92 launchers to placed on the top. Since a certain failcraft has no IRST or infrared makers. The Army will have to deal with enemy aircraft in the future.
Maybe stick a GAU-19 on their for ground defense.

:vince:

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mortabis posted:

First comment

That's it, time to go home. We've gone full circle here.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Has a mobile land based anti-ship system existed?

Logic would tell me that's best left to a jet.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Back Hack posted:

I know this is gay, but I REALLY want a surplus gavin. With a home built turret, and a semi auto M2. Basically I want to build a lol mini/civilian version of a lovely Bradley out of a shittier Gavin.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Make the Bradley amphibious, let the Army take the fight to the enemy Navy.

E: Littoral Fighting Vehicle

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Finally, a useful littoral combat vessel!

^^^ drat your edit

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

A lot of them, many using US systems.

I just finished writing a paper about land-based anti ship fires last week, it is actually a concept that I think has a lot of utility particularly in the western Pacific.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

There were/are ground-based Harpoon systems. They're mobile in the sense that a Patriot battery MLRS is mobile. I think a bunch of the Baltic states had them during the Cold War.

e: Changed the analogy, Patriot was probably an exaggeration since it's not like the land based systems have to take the time to stand up radars/network all the different components together/etc. Probably more analogous to a MLRS or mobile artillery...configure vehicle to fire, fix location, get targeting data, commence firing.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 4, 2015

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
hovercraft variant with ASM and AA capability

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

We use mobile Hellfire launchers operated by missileer squads mounted on Sb90, a jet-powered motherfucker of a littoral/river/shallow fast assault craft that can literally stop in 2.5 boat lengths from a top speed of 50 knots. It's pretty awesome. Coastal forts are just targets. Boat unloads, grunts carry heavy poo poo quietly to position and set up cover.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

iyaayas01 posted:

There were/are ground-based Harpoon systems. They're mobile in the sense that a Patriot battery is mobile. I think a bunch of the Baltic states had them during the Cold War.

There are also Exocet based systems, and of course a shitload of Chinese and PACT systems over the years.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Slo-Tek posted:

I feel like Charles Mann's 1491 and 1493 read a lot like a rebuttal to Guns, Germs, and Steel in some ways.

Also, Vigilantes and Skyrays are best.

That is one loving sexy plane. It is like the daddy of both the F-111, F-14, and F-15.

I just watched a few videos, and its landing gear and its spacing/arrangement seem barely to maybe insufficient for the airframe.

I could not find a picture or video of it actually firing or dropping anything.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Back Hack posted:

Why didn't they do a Namer-like APC using the M1 chassis? That way we could use the pre-existing line and Congress can be satisfied. General Dynamics pushed a Stryker chassis instead.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Suicide Watch posted:

Congress can be satisfied.

hahahahahaha

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Suicide Watch posted:

Why didn't they do a Namer-like APC using the M1 chassis? That way we could use the pre-existing line and Congress can be satisfied. General Dynamics pushed a Stryker chassis instead.

The chassis they are talking about actually just started production as the new paladin. So, actually are using an existing platform.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Suicide Watch posted:

IIRC the Merkava has the engine in front which makes it much easier to turn into an APC. Not so with the Abrams.

Sjurygg posted:

That's it, time to go home. We've gone full circle here.

I sincerely hope that comment was a joke/oblique Pentagon Wars reference but I'm not sure. :negative:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

B4Ctom1 posted:

I know this is gay, but I REALLY want a surplus gavin. With a home built turret, and a semi auto M2. Basically I want to build a lol mini/civilian version of a lovely Bradley out of a shittier Gavin.

Don't lie to us, you just want to build the Aero-Gavin; we've all thought about it. :colbert:

food-rf
May 18, 2014
Land-based mobile antiship systems... A bit pre-cold war, but how about this?

Since nobody would probably believe this otherwise, I'll just cite the relevant sources:

combinedfleet.com posted:

The submarine-related part of YU-GO was called "Tatsumaki Sakusen” (Operation Tornado). The submarine launched torpedo carrying light amphibious tank attack is the most interesting - or bizarre - component of the operation. The plan was for five cruiser submarines; I-36, I-38, I-41, I-44 and I-53, each equipped to carry two Type 4 "Ka-Tsu" amphibious tanks on its afterdeck.

The 16-ton Type 4 amphibious tanks carried Type 2 (450-mm) surface-launched torpedoes with a 350-kg Type 97 explosive warhead. [...] The small 17-foot tank’s 62-horsepower gasoline engine was fitted with a watertight pressure box. The plan called for the tanks to approach the atoll, swim ashore, cross the land, enter the lagoon and attack the anchored American carriers.

Yup. Submarines, launching amphibious tanks, that drive over land and back into the sea to launch torpedoes at carriers. :wtc:

Although, if the tank is underwater when it fires, does that still count as land-based?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

iyaayas01 posted:

e: Changed the analogy, Patriot was probably an exaggeration since it's not like the land based systems have to take the time to stand up radars/network all the different components together/etc. Probably more analogous to a MLRS or mobile artillery...configure vehicle to fire, fix location, get targeting data, commence firing.

I know this is still slower than MLRS, but Patriot is ready to move from being fully set up in 45 minutes, and it's fully in the fight in an hour*

*if and only if you're using basically UHF for all of your data links and/or have internet set up ahead of time to accept Patriot, nothing breaks, you're actually allowing the Patriot crews to roll around with missiles organically loaded up instead of having them transported in some other way (rare in peacetime, but not unheard of very much the plan in combat), and you're strictly talking about the weapon system, maintenance vehicles, and a few support vehicles rather than actually having troop life support set up and operational or anything more than maybe a 10-20 troops with M16s, SAWs, and a couple crew serve weapons for force protection unless you provide outside support. It's also a hell of a lot easier if you've already built the database for your new location ahead of time, but it can still be done in an hour if you have to do manual data entry; it just sucks to have to do that.

Still, even with all those caveats, I had a Navy O-5 and O-6 straight up accuse me of making poo poo up when I told them that was the standard until they went and found a senior NCO and a warrant who vouched for me.

But to get to the original point, if you think about it, somewhat mobile anti-ship platforms make a hell of a lot of sense, and a lot of anti-ship missiles really aren't that big, compared to other platforms, especially if you're looking to keep one particular straight or passage covered with missiles that don't need to be very long legged and if you don't need bigass sensors to cover a huge swath of open ocean, but instead to pick up warships outside of specific defended assets/areas.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

food-rf posted:

Yup. Submarines, launching amphibious tanks, that drive over land and back into the sea to launch torpedoes at carriers. :wtc:

Although, if the tank is underwater when it fires, does that still count as land-based?

Being stuck underwater in a 1940's era tank sounds like a great reason to become claustrophobic.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

A Handed Missus posted:

I feel obligated to repost my best content from the GBS F-35 thread. Again.

Speaking of GBS thread, there was an interesting point raised and I wonder how much merit it has.

etalian posted:

The whole being already over the mass, electrical and thermal margin means it will be much harder to upgrade.

The main source for that assertion seems to be Air Power Australia (of "aerospace version of herpes" fame) so I'd like to see a more objective confirmation/contradiction. From what very little I know, mass margin part seems credible given all the weight reduction campaigns that were taken and allegedly sacrificed safety redundancies to achieve. The thermal margin part seems probable in given situations, what with the white fuel truck thing, but not as a general case. As for electrical margin, no idea.

If it's true, it makes things like the EOTS being outdated that much more serious. (Obviously, if it's not true, then who cares.)

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I doubt anyone outside the program office really knows, but their occasional requests to change how KPPs are calculated don't bode well for having excess capability.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cat Mattress posted:

Speaking of GBS thread, there was an interesting point raised and I wonder how much merit it has.

The main source for that assertion seems to be Air Power Australia (of "aerospace version of herpes" fame) so I'd like to see a more objective confirmation/contradiction. From what very little I know, mass margin part seems credible given all the weight reduction campaigns that were taken and allegedly sacrificed safety redundancies to achieve. The thermal margin part seems probable in given situations, what with the white fuel truck thing, but not as a general case. As for electrical margin, no idea.

If it's true, it makes things like the EOTS being outdated that much more serious. (Obviously, if it's not true, then who cares.)

As far as the margins themselves go, mass yes, thermal probably, electrical I don't know. Basically for the reasons you laid out...the -B being overweight drove the SWAT effort, which in turn meant they shaved weight everywhere they could and even then the thing is still riding on the razors edge of its weight margins. Thermally there are some clear issues with thermal management, probably tied to compromises made in the ECS (white fuel trucks are evidence of this)...while the white fuel trucks might indicate it's only a problem on the ground, it's really evidence that the thing has issues on the ground in its current configuration because the margins are so slim. Change that configuration and the issues could spread into other flight regimes. Electrical I don't have any knowledge one way or the other. I'm not aware of any reported significant issues with the system's ability to provide electrical power (nothing in the latest DOT&E report and if there was a problem I'd expect it to be in there). People will tell you that the non-STOVL variants could use the lift-fan drive shaft for power generation (Grover was fond of using this to justify pew-pew lazers), but the -B model engine is completely different in that respect from the -A/-C model engines so it would be a pretty involved upgrade.

That said, as far as whether or not the margins in question are going to effect the ability of the thing to receive upgrades...completely dependent on what the upgrades are. Not all upgrades automatically mean you're increasing the thermal, electrical, or even mass burden on the aircraft. It's entirely possible for a hardware upgrade involving an increase in performance to not necessarily increase the total mass of the airframe (if it is lighter than a component it is completely replacing, for example). Same logic goes for the other margins. So yes, in the context of "let's just bolt more poo poo on this plane until it does what we want it to do" type upgrades, being on the edge of those margins means those upgrades would be more difficult, but that isn't the only way to upgrade a system.

e: But that said, doing things in a non-"let's bolt more poo poo on this plane until it works" fashion usually means more money/effort/time is put into the upgrade than doing things in that fashion, so it's likely that will be the preferred approach for any notional upgrades. So in the real world, yes, I suppose it is reasonable to draw a conclusion that being on the edge of the margins will likely increase difficulty of doing upgrades. Also regarding KPPs, anyone know what the specs are for electrical generation capability?

e2: I went back and looked at the DOT&E report...there's not much in there regarding thermal or electrical, but there is a fair amount of info regarding weight. tl;dr is that the weight margins on all three variants are exceedingly slim. In order to ensure the airframes don't bust the do not exceed weight (beyond which they will be too heavy to meet a whole plethora of performance requirements), the -A can't grow by more than 1.16% a year, the -B can't grow by more than 0.62% a year, and the -C can't grow by more than 0.35% a year. All three variants are already within a couple hundred pounds of their max weight (in the ~30K lbs range for all three.) So yeah, weight margins are pretty narrow.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 5, 2015

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

iyaayas01 posted:

There were/are ground-based Harpoon systems. They're mobile in the sense that a Patriot battery MLRS is mobile. I think a bunch of the Baltic states had them during the Cold War.

Uh, pretty sure the Baltic States didn't have Harpoons in the Cold War, unless you're talking about Cold War 2: Putin Boogaloo

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Smiling Jack posted:

Uh, pretty sure the Baltic States didn't have Harpoons in the Cold War, unless you're talking about Cold War 2: Putin Boogaloo

Cold War 2: Putin cut off your gas supply in winter

Even then, don't see a lot of baltic states with the Harpoon on hand.

A quick google on this subject led to, among other things, perhaps the most poorly written article I've ever found on Wikipedia. I don't mean poorly written in that it has bad ideas or is false based on classified info where smuglords can laugh without ever calling it out; I mean the English is so tortured and it jumps topics so widely that the whole thing becomes rather nonsensical: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missile_vehicle

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah brain farted, meant Nordic states (Denmark I know had some, I think Norway or Sweden had some or a similar land based system) who intended to use them primarily in the relatively close confines of the Baltic (since a land based ASCM system only really works if the geography forces the ships close to the land).

e: I don't think any of them still have the systems in service...I know Denmark decommissioned theirs at the beginning of the last decade.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Suicide Watch posted:

Well this vehicle is just a turretless Bradley with a modified V-hull. BAE says they can tool the Bradley line to make these with a relatively easy transition.

That Namer is also a frontline APC with MBT levels of protection, this thing is replacing M113s of basically all varieties, from medical vehicles to mortar carriers. A Namer doesn't make much sense for most of those roles.

EDIT: Also, if we wanted a Namer, it's probably easier to just buy Namers then build something like it out of the (unsuitable) M1. I'm pretty sure Lima was contracted out to build Namers for a bit even.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

DoD Procurement Mucky Muck Come over

BAE Systems Can't, working on messing up the QE/F-35/what have you

DPMM My oversight committee isn't home

BAE Systems