Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Temur Midrange could've served me well at the PPTQ today if I didn't actually bomb out due to mana issues for all 3 games.

Clearly 10 minutes of shuffling a deck after having to take it apart to write down the decklist isn't enough for round 1.

Yes I'm salty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That casual toss out of Pearl Lake Ancient by Jim Davis. I'm definitely giffing that later.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I guess it's not fair to directly compare because one is about to show the finals and one is in garbage time of a Abzan Whip vs. Sidisi Whip match, but the SCG Open stream has almost twice as many viewers as the Magic GP stream (9500 vs. 5400) when they're the same format tournament.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Boco_T posted:

I guess it's not fair to directly compare because one is about to show the finals and one is in garbage time of a Abzan Whip vs. Sidisi Whip match, but the SCG Open stream has almost twice as many viewers as the Magic GP stream (9500 vs. 5400) when they're the same format tournament.

The SCG stream also has inertia on its side. The GP isn't even on one of the main channels, I had to create a new shortcut/favorite for it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Boco_T posted:

SCG somehow even gets thousands of viewers during Saturday nighttime replays (I realize Europe is a thing)

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

It doesn't help that Wizard's streams are horridly low in effort.

Because for some reason they cannot properly utilize technology.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Rinkles posted:

SCG somehow even gets thousands of viewers during Saturday nighttime replays (I realize Europe is a thing)

At this kind of hour, I personally often wait for Legacy to start up.

EDIT: I mean at the hour of this post. 1am or so for me, usually Legacy is around the later rounds, but it depends on timezones and the like.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 5, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Haha drat this GP T8 is utterly, ridiculously stacked.

Count Bleck posted:

It doesn't help that Wizard's streams are horridly low in effort.

Because for some reason they cannot properly utilize technology.

Well, Channel Fireball has actually had really great coverage this weekend.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003

Alaan posted:

Haha drat this GP T8 is utterly, ridiculously stacked.

Where are the matches reported? SCGs site is so cleanly laid out as far as who is playing who, what decks they use and from The GP I can only seem to find the stream with no results or deck lists.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Alaan posted:

Well, Channel Fireball has actually had really great coverage this weekend.

I'm genuinely curious why Wizards isn't using the Twitch hosting functionality to have twitch.tv/magic pointing at twitch.tv/channelfireball. Surely people are subscribed to the former but not the latter?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Kyrosiris posted:

Wizards isn't using [online] functionality to [do something obvious]

Wizards and the internet don't go along well.

Alternate answer: They feel bad for literally everyone else having better coverage than their official one.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Terrible, non-sensical misplay by Cheon there.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Instantly rooting against Pardee because he refused to ultimate Chandra, even at 8 loyalty.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Whoever says it's expensive to play standard should see this WU Heroic deck that is destroying everyone despite it being terrible. The whole thing is like 50 bucks.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Whoever says it's expensive to play standard should see this WU Heroic deck that is destroying everyone despite it being terrible. The whole thing is like 50 bucks.

Its a bit more than that but it is cheap enough that I decided to make the jump up from the twenty buck sligh deck.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

mcmagic posted:

More like $100 due to 4 fetches, but yeah still relatively cheap.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
That's one thing I noticed as the prices for KTK have settled based on the Standard meta and the pack volume, Flooded Strand is actually the most expensive card in Khans of Tarkir. Price-wise, it goes Strand, Sorin, Delta, Sarkhan, Heath.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

mcmagic posted:

How is a deck that wins consistently terrible? Because it's not full of money staples and relies on synergy rather than jamming as many individual value cards together as possible?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

How is a deck that wins consistently terrible? Because it's not full of money staples and relies on synergy rather than jamming as many individual value cards together as possible?

Magic: The Gathering Megathread: Tier 1 is Pay To Win. Period.

No Friend of Gravity
Feb 24, 2006

Your daily reminder not to use MTGO:

I had a Metamorphed copy of Progenitus against an empty board (Lili minus) in the first round when the game crashed. Somehow it took down my internet connection with it. Crashed AGAIN forcing a hard reboot, then wouldn't load because "MainNavigation has stopped working" until I reinstalled. Oh, but uninstalling it through the official uninstaller didn't actually remove the corrupted files that kept it from starting, so I had to remove those and reinstall again. All of this took a bit longer than ten minutes, so I got dropped. I already got the points reimbursed, but... poo poo, guys, fix your poo poo.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Nah nothing to do with that. The Deck just plays a lot of bad cards and while it can be very powerful it's not consistent and you can end up with very bad mixes of cards. It's good in the meta game because everyone is doing these slow Grundy midrange things though. It's nothing like, for example, last standard's rabble red deck in terms of consistency and power level.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Boco_T posted:

SCG commentators are amazing and better than any other commentators besides maybe Jim Ross and The King back in their prime. I would happily watch SCG cover a tournament of elementary school kids having their first magic games running duel decks over any wizards production.

notbrant
Jul 1, 2003

Failboattootoot posted:

SCG commentators are amazing and better than any other commentators besides maybe Jim Ross and The King back in their prime. I would happily watch SCG cover a tournament of elementary school kids having their first magic games running duel decks over any wizards production.

I came back from a 12 year hiatus but I think I recently saw a video that was almost identical to this except it was new players rather than elementary school kids.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I know there are some videos floating around there of Dota 2 commentators commenting on some random new-player matches and it's the funniest thing, though I can't remember what it's called.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
In that same vein, bronze-league heroes is a pretty good series of vids from huskystarcraft, a youtuber.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Failboattootoot posted:

I would watch that anyways, because that sounds amazing.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

"So little Timmy is getting very excited right now."

"Why's that Cedric?"

"Because he's about to drop down his 6th mountain, so here comes his Shivan Dragon!"

[Group 'Yaaaaay!']

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Scrubbed out of some very close draft games today because I forgot the essential card game rule "check for lethal". The store didn't have enough packs for more than eight people to draft Khans so it was "pick three Standard boosters", so at least that was fun, even though I got nothing of any remote value. Also had two newbies that let a Temple of Malady and Siege Rhino get passed to the same person
:ughh:

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Grab-bag Draft/Sealed is a great format to do from time to time. Wacky combinations, unexpected synergies, off the walls combo's. Anything can, and often will, happen.

In fact, I think I'll convince the guys at my LGS to do that for this week's FNM since we usually have a smaller crowd around Draft time on Modern Nights.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I think Starcitys new event schedule will give TCG more room to grow their events to a larger scale.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
Some cool MODO behavior: Kenji on stream with a bloodsoaked champion and a flipped nezumi shortfang, selects attack with all creatures, but it doesn't attack with the flipped card because it's bugging out down by the land cards instead of attacking like a creature.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

No Friend of Gravity posted:

Your daily reminder not to use MTGO:

I had a Metamorphed copy of Progenitus against an empty board (Lili minus) in the first round when the game crashed. Somehow it took down my internet connection with it. Crashed AGAIN forcing a hard reboot, then wouldn't load because "MainNavigation has stopped working" until I reinstalled. Oh, but uninstalling it through the official uninstaller didn't actually remove the corrupted files that kept it from starting, so I had to remove those and reinstall again. All of this took a bit longer than ten minutes, so I got dropped. I already got the points reimbursed, but... poo poo, guys, fix your poo poo.

I cashed out MTGO when they announced V3 was going away forever, missed it and then came back with Khans, hated V4 so much I'm cashing out again a couple months later and not coming back unless something massive changes, plus I've started buying paper cards again for the first time since Weatherlight. Traded a big chunk of my cash out tix for a box of MM. Feels good man.

mcmagic posted:

Nah nothing to do with that. The Deck just plays a lot of bad cards and while it can be very powerful it's not consistent and you can end up with very bad mixes of cards. It's good in the meta game because everyone is doing these slow Grundy midrange things though. It's nothing like, for example, last standard's rabble red deck in terms of consistency and power level.

I mean I'm not going to disagree that the core cards are basically unplayable anywhere else, but they're great together. I also absolutely disagree that it's not consistent. It has as much filtering, draw, and alternative ways to pull off its core strategy (make cheap mans big) as any other competitive deck. Yeah some games you just completely miss Ordeal of Thassa and that hurts it a lot, but sometimes Ascendancy doesn't draw Ascendancy and Whip doesn't draw Whip. The only deck I'd say is arguably more consistent is Abzan mid and that's only because nearly everything in it is playable on its own.

I think it benefits a lot from standard having no decent, splashable removal below 3CMC, but so do other decks. "Good" and "good in the meta" are functionally the same thing. When was the last time a standard deck survived rotation and was still playable in extended/modern without substantial changes? Does that mean most standard decks are bad decks?

fuckingwhocares
Apr 23, 2003

Josh #2
I won a GPT over the weekend (for GP Vancouver), is there a way to see my byes on the Planeswalker Points site? It shows me winning it, but nothing else.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Count Bleck posted:

"So little Timmy is getting very excited right now."

"Why's that Cedric?"

"Because he's about to drop down his 6th mountain, so here comes his Shivan Dragon!"

[Group 'Yaaaaay!']

Hehe when I got back into magic during Theros block one of the first decks I built was a durdly r/w control deck that used sheep, walls, and removal to just chill out for 6 turns at which point I started dropping Shivan dragons and serra angels. Living the dream of my 4th edition roots rigtht there.

BXCX
Feb 17, 2012

not even in a bad way
Speaking of PWP, how much do the points you earn for doing well in FNM level events matter for Planeswalker Points/how much do those points matter for competitive events? My store has a guy who recently fell out of the PT Players Club and started slumming it with the unwashed masses in FNM draft and he always makes a huge deal about PWP during the events. It's usually innocuous stuff like refusing to split prizes in the final round in the X-0 bracket (4 packs for 3-0, 2 packs for 2-1, 3 packs each for the split "I'd rather have the points :smug:") or dropping out of the event as soon as he loses a round (particularly if he loses the first), but this week the event reporter was down and he almost quit the event right before we started cracking packs after the judge mentioned it in passing but agreed to stay after the judge promised we'd get PWP once the event reporter started working again. It seems like a weird thing to be worried about since the most I've ever earned for coming in first at FNM is 11 points, but maybe that's a lot of points?

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
http://lrcast.com/exclusive-limited-resources-fate-reforged-preview-cards/

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

All seem like nice interesting additions to the respective limited decks they'll be slotting into.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

:allears: That quote is fantastic.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

BXCX posted:

Speaking of PWP, how much do the points you earn for doing well in FNM level events matter for Planeswalker Points/how much do those points matter for competitive events? My store has a guy who recently fell out of the PT Players Club and started slumming it with the unwashed masses in FNM draft and he always makes a huge deal about PWP during the events. It's usually innocuous stuff like refusing to split prizes in the final round in the X-0 bracket (4 packs for 3-0, 2 packs for 2-1, 3 packs each for the split "I'd rather have the points :smug:") or dropping out of the event as soon as he loses a round (particularly if he loses the first), but this week the event reporter was down and he almost quit the event right before we started cracking packs after the judge mentioned it in passing but agreed to stay after the judge promised we'd get PWP once the event reporter started working again. It seems like a weird thing to be worried about since the most I've ever earned for coming in first at FNM is 11 points, but maybe that's a lot of points?
He's an idiot. The only thing PWP are used for is GP byes, and even then FNM awards a tiny amount of points, you need 2250 in a year to get 2 byes and winning a FNM match gets 3. Plus, if you care about the points you should never drop from a tournament, since you get points for every match won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

You could almost never get enough points for byes just by playing FNM events.

Looking at the points needed for byes:
1 Bye: 1,300 Planeswalker Points
2 Byes: 2,250 Planeswalker Points

Unless you are doing well in PTQs and GPs, I have no idea how anyone could do it just doing FNMs and Game Days. Just participating and dropping after round 1 of a GP will earn you more points than a month of FNMs.

• Locked thread