Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Jerusalem posted:

The History of the Decline and Fall of Rome's Secret Robot Army.
Look I played Age of Mythology Titans Expansion, I know that the ancients had access to building automaton armies. :colbert:

bean_shadow posted:

What was the best time to be a woman in the ancient world? I know it was never GREAT but didn't Egyptian and Roman women have it better than Greek?
Wasn't the Persian Empire (which ironically gets pretty vilified because of you "THIS IS SPARTA") actually pretty progressive when it came to multiculturalism and gender relations? Like I remember during the Persian wars, one of the better commanders of the Persian army was a woman and I'm blanking on a name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Majorian posted:

...there really aren't any historical facts that are accessible to us.

[...]

But I also think it's important for historians to not lose sight of the fact that for the people living in this period, life was pretty awful.

These don't necessarily square (the declined population, loss of literacy and disappearance of trade connections relate to a certain kind of civilisation, and history struggles with illiterate societies), and while it'd be silly to argue about whether the Bronze Age Collapse was, well, a collapse, it's worth pointing out that the phrase "dark ages" tends to refer to the lack of historical record rather than to some overall era of endless gloom.

achillesforever6 posted:

Wasn't the Persian Empire (which ironically gets pretty vilified because of you "THIS IS SPARTA") actually pretty progressive when it came to multiculturalism and gender relations? Like I remember during the Persian wars, one of the better commanders of the Persian army was a woman and I'm blanking on a name.

Artemisia I of Caria. She was Greek, but yes, on the Persian side.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

She was actually one of the main characters in the most recent 300 movie

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

PittTheElder posted:

That said, whether there might have been some Polynesian-South American contact is an open question in academia yes?

I've got some vague memories of watching a documentary about a decade ago. From what I remember, the point of the documentary was that some people from the pacific ending up on the west coast somewhere in the Americas before anyone had crossed into America through the Bering Strait. Then that, through some cave painting magic the thought the people who crossed over through the Bering Strait came down and slaughtered all of them, chasing them south.

Through DNA testing or something they said that some of the people living in Tierra Del Fuego at the very southern tip of South America are ancestors of these original people blended with the Bering Strait people.

Am I remembering wrong? Is this whole thing nonsense? Exaggerated?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
It's certainly plausible that any dudes who managed to stumble into the Americas from the Polynesian island groups would be pushed out of their living areas by the much larger groups of people who crossed the Bering land bridge. But I'm not sure how plausible it is that a significant enough amount of a mixed population managed to get over from Polynesia that you could have people enough to sustain ongoing communities.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

BrainDance and Nintendo Kid, you guys are mixing up multiple unrelated debates.

One is about the migration route by which people first entered the Americas. There is on ongoing debate over whether the first settlers rode in boats along the along the pacific coast, or followed an ice free corridor from Beringia. The land corridor theory is widely accepted, and most debate is over whether there was also a coastal migration, which is hard to prove because the shoreline, where these guys supposedly lived, is now 100 meters higher than it was 20,000 years ago.

The second argument is over whether there is evidence of pre-Colombian contact between South Americans and Polynesians. Obviously this is supposed to have happened much more recently, like within the last 1000 years. The theory of trans Pacific contact stems largely from evidence that the Sweet Potato, and chicken, a new world crop and old world domestic animal, appeared in both the Pacific and South America before European contact. There is also much less significant debate over stuff like similarities in pottery, etc but its not taken very seriously.

I'm not really up-to-date on the topic, but I read a paper on the subject a few years back looking at genetic evidence, and I remember it failed to find evidence of a pre-Colombian transfer. There were a lot of poorly documented early European voyages that could have moved the Sweet potato before anyone taking records bothered to document the agriculture on some backwater little atoll, and once they got into the Pacific local trade networks could have rapidly disseminated the vegetable ahead of European observers. There is still room for debate, however.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Ras Het posted:

These don't necessarily square (the declined population, loss of literacy and disappearance of trade connections relate to a certain kind of civilisation, and history struggles with illiterate societies), and while it'd be silly to argue about whether the Bronze Age Collapse was, well, a collapse, it's worth pointing out that the phrase "dark ages" tends to refer to the lack of historical record rather than to some overall era of endless gloom.

I think I might be misunderstanding you here, because I don't see how those issues don't necessarily square. All the evidence that we have about the collapse of the Bronze Age does seem to suggest that there was an unusual convergence of really nasty occurrences in the Eastern Mediterranean, including the population collapse, widespread famine and drought, political instability, etc. You're certainly correct that "Dark Ages" do tend to refer to eras where we lack a lot of the historical record, but it also often connotes a period in which overall standard of living dramatically declines from previous eras. I think that's a factor that could stand to be underlined more in historical writings on the Greek Dark Age and the broader Bronze Age collapse: that there were probably people who grew up in the Hittite Empire or Mycenaean Greece, and lived to see these regions reduced to groups of fragmented, impoverished, illiterate hamlets. People had to realize that some sort of cataclysm had happened.

And then the fact that this state of affairs could go on for over three hundred years? That's a long time for a once-literate, once-globalized (in the limited context of the Eastern Mediterranean world, obviously) society to go without being able to read or write. That, to me, is the most interesting question in all of this: why did this period of cultural desolation last for so long? Why did it take three whole centuries for people to start writing and venturing out further than their tiny villages again?

Obviously, the answers aren't obvious at the moment, because archeologists haven't found all that much from the period. But I wish historians who write about stuff like the Greek Dark Age would focus a bit more of their energy on trying to answer that question anyway, because hell - it's a really loving cool thing to study.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

bean_shadow posted:

What was the best time to be a woman in the ancient world? I know it was never GREAT but didn't Egyptian and Roman women have it better than Greek?

Etruscan women seemed to have had it pretty good. The Romans and Greeks were horrified by the fact that they appeared outside, attended banquets and dinner parties and talked to men other than their husband, thus leading them to think all Etruscan women were whores. Of course, this all tells more about Roman and Greek ideas about women.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

achillesforever6 posted:

This is true. I just listened to a TTC lecture series on the Persians, they get unduly poo poo on because we all go off Greek sources. They were actually pretty neat by the standards of the time and if you're choosing a place to live in 400 BC Persia is one of the better options.

Edit: There's also a lot of evidence that the old, pre-writing Mediterranean cultures primarily worshiped a goddess who would be the origin of figures like Juno or Hera, and some archaeologists speculate this means those societies may have been matriarchal, or at least given women a more prominent role than later dicks like the Romans or Athenians.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 5, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's sort of funny how much emphasis 300 puts on the Persians having an army of slaves considering that the reason the Spartans could all be soldiers is that they had slaves to do all the actual work. Not to mention the fact that Zoroastrianism, the state religion in the Persian empire, frowns on slavery. There was of course some slavery but it was never on the same scale as in Greece and almost all slaves were prisoners of war. It's not really my field but I know that under the Sassanids there was a bunch of laws on how you could only keep foreigners who weren't Zoroastrians as slaves and you couldn't beat them or mistreat them and if they converted they could buy their freedom.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Ras Het posted:

Artemisia I of Caria. She was Greek, but yes, on the Persian side.

To go into a bit more detail, there were a lot of Greeks living in the Persian empire, since they had conquered all of Asia Minor and the Greek colonies there some decades previously. Artemisia was the queen of one of those Greek cities. Now, we only really know about her through Herodotus, so take it with a grain of salt, but she provided ships to the Persian campaign (like all subject Greek cities did), and commanded one of them herself. At Salamis, once the battle was lost, she rammed another Persian ship during the chaos, tricking the pursuing Greek ships into believing she was one of theirs, and so she got away in the confusion. Xerxes, seeing that, thought that she had sunk a Greek ship, and complimented her bravery. Then he consulted her on how to proceed with the campaign, and followed her advice. Mind you, Herodotus was also from Halicarnassus, so he was probably favorably inclined towards her and her story, but who knows?

I haven't seen the sequel to 300, but I guess she's portrayed as some kind of libidinous villain seeking to seduce/enslave those manly Spartans? I dunno.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think settled societies are exactly the wrong place to search for gender egalitarianism in the ancient world. You want to look at pastoral nomads or semi-nomads instead.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't have time to both post about Liu Bei and indulge my crippling addiction to anime dating sims anymore but I do have time to post this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWWooExURko

It's pretty cool. (so is having a VPN)

Oh I should say it's a reconstruction of ancient Sumerian music from a tablet with fragmentary musical notation and some lyrics c. 1200 BC.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

sullat posted:

I haven't seen the sequel to 300, but I guess she's portrayed as some kind of libidinous villain seeking to seduce/enslave those manly Spartans? I dunno.

The 300 sequel was all about Athenians.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't have time to both post about Liu Bei and indulge my crippling addiction to anime dating sims anymore but I do have time to post this:

Posting about Liu Bei is easy:

quote:

:neckbeard:->:confused:->:stonk:->:bang: x300

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

sullat posted:

To go into a bit more detail, there were a lot of Greeks living in the Persian empire, since they had conquered all of Asia Minor and the Greek colonies there some decades previously. Artemisia was the queen of one of those Greek cities. Now, we only really know about her through Herodotus, so take it with a grain of salt, but she provided ships to the Persian campaign (like all subject Greek cities did), and commanded one of them herself. At Salamis, once the battle was lost, she rammed another Persian ship during the chaos, tricking the pursuing Greek ships into believing she was one of theirs, and so she got away in the confusion. Xerxes, seeing that, thought that she had sunk a Greek ship, and complimented her bravery. Then he consulted her on how to proceed with the campaign, and followed her advice. Mind you, Herodotus was also from Halicarnassus, so he was probably favorably inclined towards her and her story, but who knows?

Pretty much, yes.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

achillesforever6 posted:

The Persian Empire basically acted like the later Roman Empire, pay your loving taxes and follow the overarching laws. Beyond that you can do what you like as far as your culture norms go (as long as they don't violate our overarching laws, I'm looking at my Druids).

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ugh, I just read a mainstream media article that referred to the 'eccentric Roman Emperor Herod the Great'. Did I miss something in class?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Octy posted:

Ugh, I just read a mainstream media article that referred to the 'eccentric Roman Emperor Herod the Great'. Did I miss something in class?

Oh yeah old Eccentric Roman Emperor Herod, didn't he use one weird trick to invade Northern Africa and fight the - oh wait he wasn't Eccentric, Roman, or Emperor.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

That's funny. Edit: They must have fixed it later in the (what I assume is the original) Washington Post version - it now says "Herod the Great, the eccentric king of Judea under the Roman empire" (the photo is still captioned "grand palace of the Emperor Herod").

jmzero fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 5, 2015

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

jmzero posted:

That's funny. Edit: They must have fixed it later in the (what I assume is the original) Washington Post version - it now says "Herod the Great, the eccentric king of Judea under the Roman empire" (the photo is still captioned "grand palace of the Emperor Herod").

Herod wasn't eccentric. "Eccentric" is your weird uncle who wear bowties and has a collection of gallstones in jars. Herod was a psychopath.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kaal posted:

Oh yeah old Eccentric Roman Emperor Herod, didn't he use one weird trick to invade Northern Africa and fight the - oh wait he wasn't Eccentric, Roman, or Emperor.

He was a Roman :hist101:!

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Hogge Wild posted:

He was a Roman :hist101:!

Herod was a vassal of Rome, and his kingdom was Rome's client state, but Judea didn't become a Roman province until after his death. Think less like Galen, the famous Greek medical philosopher who was of course also a Roman, and more like Boudica or Cleopatra, who were Roman clients but still saw themselves as relatively sovereign and independent.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jan 5, 2015

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

That too. The idea of trying to find something original to do a thesis on in Roman history is terrifying.

I think I remember the so-called historian Jim Butcher writing a series of books about the history of some plucky Romans in exile. Something about a lost legion meeting dangerous insects or something. (It has been a while, my memories are a bit fuzzy on the details.)

That seemed pretty original to me

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kaal posted:

Herod was a vassal of Rome, and his kingdom was Rome's client state, but Judea didn't become a Roman province until after his death. Think less like Galen, the famous Greek medical philosopher who was of course also a Roman, and more like Boudica or Cleopatra, who were Roman clients but still saw themselves as relatively sovereign and independent.

I meant that he was a son of a Roman citizen, and therefore a Roman citizen himself.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Hogge Wild posted:

I meant that he was a son of a Roman citizen, and therefore a Roman citizen himself.

I think that we're looking at this a bit differently, since I don't see Antipater as being particularly Roman either. Ceasar granted Antipater special Roman citizenship in 47 BCE, just three years before both of their deaths. And Herod (born in 73 BCE) would have been 26 years old when that happened, so I don't think that he ever gained citizenship himself.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm not sure, you could be adopted and inherit as someone's son as an adult so they might've granted citizenship after the fact that way. I have no idea but the way Roman law worked it wouldn't be impossible.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not sure, you could be adopted and inherit as someone's son as an adult so they might've granted citizenship after the fact that way. I have no idea but the way Roman law worked it wouldn't be impossible.

Herod turned to the Romans to help him claim the throne as part of a succession crisis. Granting him some sort of honorary citizenship may have been part of the deal to give the Roman intervention in Judea a gloss of legitimacy.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Deteriorata posted:

Herod wasn't eccentric. "Eccentric" is your weird uncle who wear bowties and has a collection of gallstones in jars. Herod was a psychopath.

Is there anything we know to support this that isn't from the gospels? Not being sarcastic here, I don't really know anything about the non-biblical information about Herod.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Is there anything we know to support this that isn't from the gospels? Not being sarcastic here, I don't really know anything about the non-biblical information about Herod.

There is nothing in the Bible about Herod's accession to the throne. It's all from records elsewhere.

As far as I know, everything in the Gospels is consistent with what is known about Herod and his reign. He died about 4 BC and left his kingdom to his four sons. One (Phillip, I think) proved to be so terrible and incompetent that the Romans deposed him rather than deal with all the turmoil he was causing. They appointed a direct Roman governor in his place, which is how Pontius Pilate ended up in Jerusalem.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Deteriorata posted:

As far as I know, everything in the Gospels is consistent with what is known about Herod and his reign.

I'm pretty sure the Massacre of the Innocents didn't actually happen.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Ras Het posted:

Probably not, but the Herodians are a big long merry-go-round of civil war, poisoning, looting and fratri/patri/filicide so it's at least not that far out of character.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ras Het posted:

Well, there's no evidence of it, which isn't too surprising. The deaths of maybe a dozen kids in a little town in a backwater province wouldn't make anybody's history book. Most scholars conclude that it was exactly the sort of thing Herod did pretty commonly, so it's entirely plausible.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Herod had a penchant for executing his own sons, leading Augustus to quip "In Herod's house pigs are safer than sons" while signing yet another death warrant. That may be where the biblical story comes from. It's true that Bethlehem was a backwater and nobody might care about a few babies dying, but Jesus was probably born in Nazareth and someone fudged his birthplace to make it fit Messianic prophecy better.

Luke is the only one who provides any reason why he might have been born in Bethlehem (when both his parents were from Nazareth and he was known as "of Nazareth") and it's pretty flimsy. The Romans never required people to move back to their birthplace for a census. In the cosmopolitan early empire that would have been a project dwarfing the census itself in magnitude. Either we have to believe that Herod instituted a new census policy in Judea only that was never mentioned by any other writer ever, or we can accept that Jesus's birthplace was tweaked to make his story better for contemporary Jews.

Modern Christians tend to accept the story at face value because they have no reason to care where Jesus was born and don't imagine that the Gospels would lie about such banal stuff but there you go.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Arglebargle III posted:

Herod had a penchant for executing his own sons, leading Augustus to quip "In Herod's house pigs are safer than sons" while signing yet another death warrant. That may be where the biblical story comes from. It's true that Bethlehem was a backwater and nobody might care about a few babies dying, but Jesus was probably born in Nazareth and someone fudged his birthplace to make it fit Messianic prophecy better.

Luke is the only one who provides any reason why he might have been born in Bethlehem (when both his parents were from Nazareth and he was known as "of Nazareth") and it's pretty flimsy. The Romans never required people to move back to their birthplace for a census. In the cosmopolitan early empire that would have been a project dwarfing the census itself in magnitude. Either we have to believe that Herod instituted a new census policy in Judea only that was never mentioned by any other writer ever, or we can accept that Jesus's birthplace was tweaked to make his story better for contemporary Jews.

Modern Christians tend to accept the story at face value because they have no reason to care where Jesus was born and don't imagine that the Gospels would lie about such banal stuff but there you go.

Yeah, Luke got a bunch of stuff confused and his whole birth narrative seems pretty contrived. I wasn't defending a literal reading of the text, only commenting that what the Gospels had to say about Herod seemed pretty consistent with what is known from elsewhere.

Matthew also mentions Bethlehem and is the source of the Magi story, but it's pretty sure that by the time the Gospels were written nobody really knew anything about his birth and there was plenty of legend to fill the void.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
Is the whole adoption thing why Jesus could be considered a descendent of King David and the son of God? Like, if Joseph considered Jesus his son then it was good enough? The Bible says that Joseph is a descendent, and Mary is his wife, therefore Jesus is also a descendent.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Deteriorata I wasn't disagreeing with you.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

jmzero posted:

Yeah, that's the one. I thought about linking it because it seemed interesting but I was so disgusted I closed the tab and lost it.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

bean_shadow posted:

Is the whole adoption thing why Jesus could be considered a descendent of King David and the son of God? Like, if Joseph considered Jesus his son then it was good enough? The Bible says that Joseph is a descendent, and Mary is his wife, therefore Jesus is also a descendent.

The interpretation according to some scholars is that the gospels record both the patrilinieal and matrilineal genealogies of Jesus. One from Mary and one from Joseph in Luke and Matthew respectively. David is mentioned in both, so if that interpretation is correct, Jesus was descended from David through both of them.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Ras Het posted:

King Herod is my favorite Biblical hero and I won't hear this nonsense.