Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Haven't posted in this thread in a while. Jumping back in to mention that, after having the 4 and the 5 and now the 6, the 6 is hands down my least favorite iPhone. I hate the rounded edges that make it too slippery (I drop it on my face/chest in bed all the time) and the curved edge of the screen gives zero advantage, the antenna bands on the back are dumb, I don't like that there's no black option, and the power button being directly opposite the volume up button is infuriating.

This is totally a sperg post and people are going to respond with a whole bunch of nonsense about how I should hold it different or whatever. I don't care. These are nitpick points on an Internet forum. I like the bigger screen I just wish they made the iPhone 5 bigger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

ShoogaSlim posted:

Haven't posted in this thread in a while. Jumping back in to mention that, after having the 4 and the 5 and now the 6, the 6 is hands down my least favorite iPhone. I hate the rounded edges that make it too slippery (I drop it on my face/chest in bed all the time) and the curved edge of the screen gives zero advantage, the antenna bands on the back are dumb, I don't like that there's no black option, and the power button being directly opposite the volume up button is infuriating.

This is totally a sperg post and people are going to respond with a whole bunch of nonsense about how I should hold it different or whatever. I don't care. These are nitpick points on an Internet forum. I like the bigger screen I just wish they made the iPhone 5 bigger.

Weird, 100% of people disagree with you, but that's okay because the internet is an evergrowing place and people with wrong opinions are allowed to voice them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Apple Leather Case... Black. 100% of your problems: solved.

Selane
May 19, 2006

ShoogaSlim posted:

This is totally a sperg post and people are going to respond with a whole bunch of nonsense about how I should hold it different or whatever. I don't care.

You don't care what anyone else says, but you think we care about what you say? Believe me, no one cares that you can't use your phone without dropping it on your face or whatever dumb problems you have.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I'm sorry if this is a totally ridiculous question, but where can I buy an iPhone 6 to use on Verizon at the $650 full price?

The Verizon store, Apple Online store, and Target will only sell me with a contract change and I'm trying not to do this. If I go to an actual brick and mortar Apple Store will I have better luck? I didn't think it would be so hard to find one at full price.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

therealjon_ posted:

I'm sorry if this is a totally ridiculous question, but where can I buy an iPhone 6 to use on Verizon at the $650 full price?

The Verizon store, Apple Online store, and Target will only sell me with a contract change and I'm trying not to do this. If I go to an actual brick and mortar Apple Store will I have better luck? I didn't think it would be so hard to find one at full price.

A Verizon store should definitely be able to do that for you, maybe try a different salesperson or store. You can also order it online at full price at Verizon.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Try directly from Verizon's site, I buy my iPhone's at retail price from the site without issues. Weird that the Verizon store or the Apple store wouldn't do it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

therealjon_ posted:

Apple retail stores will let you buy Verizon full retail. I called and asked a month ago.

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!
I agree that the iPhone 6 and 6+ are really slippery without a case, but I can't imagine being so clumsy that it slips out of my hands and hits me in the face while I'm holding it in bed.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Thanks guys! I see it now on the Verizon site (was going through the account screen so it was only letting me upgrade). Good to know I can go to the physical Apple Store as well.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

Weird, 100% of people disagree with you, but that's okay because the internet is an evergrowing place and people with wrong opinions are allowed to voice them.

Eh, this isn't true. I remember reading people bemoan the power button placement pages and pages ago. Before the phone even came out people were harping on why it had to be so thin instead of just putting a bigger battery in it, and so on and so on.

If you think the iPhone 6 is perfect I'm not in any position to argue, I'm just stating why it's my least favorite iteration out of the ones I've owned so far.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
It's easy to say those things when you're not squinting at a 3.5" screen. Go back and use an iPhone 4 for more than a few days and tell me again how it's better than the 6.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

BeanBandit posted:

I agree that the iPhone 6 and 6+ are really slippery without a case, but I can't imagine being so clumsy that it slips out of my hands and hits me in the face while I'm holding it in bed.

This happened to me with a Note 3 and it scratched my cornea. :( true story.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

This might be more of a digital photography or OneDrive question, but I've got a photo that I took with a DSLR, processed in Lightroom, and saved as a jpeg :

I uploaded it to OneDrive (which is my go-to cloud storage service for media at the moment because I somehow ended up with over a TB of it.) When I view it from within the OneDrive app on my iPhone, it looks exactly like the photo above. Which is how it's supposed to look.

But when I download it and save to my camera roll, then open the camera roll to look at it, the colors are off:

I thought there might be something wrong with my iPhone screen's color balance, but the file residing on OneDrive looks fine when viewed on the phone.
What gives?

I tried to re-create the problem and could not. My first guess though is that it's related to the sRGB color profile you're using.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Whirlwind Jones posted:

It's easy to say those things when you're not squinting at a 3.5" screen. Go back and use an iPhone 4 for more than a few days and tell me again how it's better than the 6.
I still think the 6 would've been much better for left-handed freaks like me if it was half an inch smaller. Then I'd never have to use the Reachability thing.

I do agree with some of those other problems too, though. It's definitely too slippery without a case and having the power button exactly in line with the volume button, while aesthetically pleasing, is really poor placement when holding it sideways as a camera. Having it at the top is still absolutely reachable with either hand and I really would like to see it put back up there.

If they made it just a single millimetre thicker for some more battery, I'm really curious how long it could last. The 6 lasts longer than any previous iPhone I've had, but getting two full days out of it would be awesome when I'm away for a weekend or something.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Question Mark Mound posted:

I do agree with some of those other problems too, though. It's definitely too slippery without a case and having the power button exactly in line with the volume button, while aesthetically pleasing, is really poor placement when holding it sideways as a camera. Having it at the top is still absolutely reachable with either hand and I really would like to see it put back up there.

The power button was moved to the side of the phone because of the 6 plus, and they probably wanted to keep the general design consistent across the two phones. Why do you have an issue with it being in line with the volume buttons for taking pictures? Do you hold your fingers on the top and bottom of the camera in line with each other?

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jan 5, 2015

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Super Dude posted:

The power button was moved to the side of the phone because of the 6 plus, and they probably wanted to keep the general design consistent across the two phones. Why do you have an issue with it being in line with the volume buttons for taking pictures? Do you hold your fingers on the top and bottom of the camera in line with each other?
Yeah, when taking a photo my index finger is on the volume up button to use as the shutter and my thumb is on the power button. A squeezing motion on the whole phone I find is better for not accidentally tilting the angle a bit and messing up your shot. Luckily, the case I bought lately has a slight defect in the area where it covers the power button so I need to press it a lot harder to trigger it, but I still think it's a nuisance. Personally speaking, if the power button has to be on the side, lining it up with the volume down button would have been better for me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

Yeah, when taking a photo my index finger is on the volume up button to use as the shutter and my thumb is on the power button. A squeezing motion on the whole phone I find is better for not accidentally tilting the angle a bit and messing up your shot. Luckily, the case I bought lately has a slight defect in the area where it covers the power button so I need to press it a lot harder to trigger it, but I still think it's a nuisance. Personally speaking, if the power button has to be on the side, lining it up with the volume down button would have been better for me.

I just did a test hold with my 6 Plus with the volume on top. My thumb lays just to the right of the power button, but I can totally see it being an problem on the smaller sized 6. I usually use the orientation where the lens is on top and I engage the shutter using my thumb, so I never really thought about it being an issue.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
It's not an issue.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

My main concern with the power button and the volume buttons is when I go to hit those buttons while the phone is laying on a counter or something. I was listening to music while shaving and I went to turn the volume up while the phone was on the bathroom counter. Since you need equal pressure against the opposite side of the phone I, of course, hit the power button as well. It's just a stupid annoyance that could have been fixed with different button placement. No it doesn't *always* happen and no it isn't the end of the world. It's just something I never felt the need to even address when using my 4 or 5.

Super Dude posted:

The power button was moved to the side of the phone because of the 6 plus, and they probably wanted to keep the general design consistent across the two phones.

This, in my opinion, is also an issue. The 6 Plus should have never been a mirror image of the 6. It's absolutely ridiculous for a phone with that big of a screen to be that big overall.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It's not an issue.

Thanks for your contribution, dude :thumbsup:

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
I often click power/volume button unintentionally on my 6, because of the poo poo placement. They could definitely have been placed smarter.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
I often don't do that, because I'm not a person who can't use their fingers correctly.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I often don't do that, because I'm not a person who can't use their fingers correctly.

Your posts suggest otherwise.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Suqit posted:

:drat:

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Suqit posted:

hahaha

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
*is a moron who can't maneuver a small phone to take a picture*

BeanBandit
Mar 15, 2001

Beanbandit?
Son of a bitch!

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

*is a moron who can't maneuver a small phone to take a picture*

Why are you such an insufferable little retard?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanBandit posted:

Why are you such an insufferable little retard?

I can't figure if it's a dumb gimmick or if he is truly that socially stunted.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I can't figure if it's a dumb gimmick or if he is truly that socially stunted.

His rap sheet should tell you the answer.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

IllegallySober posted:

His rap sheet should tell you the answer.

In other unrelated news, you're the person with the oldest regdate I've personally seen with an empty rap sheet. Goody two-shoes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I just got my first ding this week. :(

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Michael Scott posted:

In other unrelated news, you're the person with the oldest regdate I've personally seen with an empty rap sheet. Goody two-shoes.

I don't do a whole lot of posting (or looking at rap sheets, to be honest) but yeah, looking at his seems to provide some context!

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if they made the 6 too thin on purpose so cases wouldn't make it too thick and unwieldly like a lot of cases did on previous models.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sometimes I'll email photos to myself and I just don't ever receive them. Other times the mail option won't even pop up. What's up with that? It really blows.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

NESguerilla posted:

Sometimes I'll email photos to myself and I just don't ever receive them. Other times the mail option won't even pop up. What's up with that? It really blows.
Can't say I've ever seen or heard of either of these issues, so can't really tell you what's up with that. Sounds lovely, I guess.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

NESguerilla posted:

Can't speak to your second issue but I know for me if I try to email a photo with no additional text to my Yahoo account it gets flagged as spam so I have to stick a short sentence or two in each of those emails to prevent that. This speaks more to the fact that Yahoo's spam filtering is garbage but maybe it's what's happening in your situation too.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
It looks like a bit of condensation has gotten under my 5S's front and back camera lenses somehow. I have an appointment this afternoon but googling has me worried that they're going to count this as "moisture" damage even though my phone has never been submerged or wet.

Has anyone heard of getting a regular Applecare replacement for lens moisture or is that pretty much an automatic accidental damage classification?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

tuyop posted:

It looks like a bit of condensation has gotten under my 5S's front and back camera lenses somehow. I have an appointment this afternoon but googling has me worried that they're going to count this as "moisture" damage even though my phone has never been submerged or wet.

Has anyone heard of getting a regular Applecare replacement for lens moisture or is that pretty much an automatic accidental damage classification?

If the internal liquid contact indicators aren't tripped you should be fine. But if they've changed color the tech could potentially say the lens issue stems from you getting the phone wet and isn't a defect.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

NESguerilla posted:

The mail option disappears if you select more than 5 or 10 (not sure which) photos at a time. It's obnoxious considering you can already tell it to send small versions if size of the email is an issue. Not sure about your first problem, however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I've noticed on my 6+ that push activesync mail from my work exchange server seems to not always be push. The badge message count will be way off and the "last checked" time can be an hour old and I have a super stale mailbox, like the task isn't actually running in the background.

The account is set to push, is there something else I should be looking for?

This seems to apply to calendar events as well, if I change something in Exchange,

Maneki Neko fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 6, 2015