Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
a short series of racists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
This marble game is a bit underwhelming after Super Monkey Ball

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Swan Curry posted:

most things are underwhelming after a game like Super Monkey Ball tbh

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Swan Curry posted:

The problem is that SMB is based around incredibly tight and precise inputs over incredibly narrow platforms (plus getting no continues in order to make it to the Master Levels). This game looks neat but it has checkpoints, gem-collecting and no lives system, so there's no intensity to it aside from the threat of a little lost time.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
excellent, vvvvvv (proununced like [a weird vibration noise]) made its incentive

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Do not even ask posted:

The problem is that SMB is based around incredibly tight and precise inputs over incredibly narrow platforms (plus getting no continues in order to make it to the Master Levels). This game looks neat but it has checkpoints, gem-collecting and no lives system, so there's no intensity to it aside from the threat of a little lost time.

At least it's only 45 minutes. I can put up with anything after 2 hours of diddy kong.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

pisshead posted:

At least it's only 45 minutes. I can put up with anything after 2 hours of diddy kong.

I forget if it was AGDQ or SGDQ, but Toufool's run last year was fun because the crowd of attendees were keeping the energy up for about the first three quarters of the run.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Every time I think a run is boring or too long, I think back on the starcraft 2 run and realize it's not that bad after all.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Do not even ask posted:

I forget if it was AGDQ or SGDQ, but Toufool's run last year was fun because the crowd of attendees were keeping the energy up for about the first three quarters of the run.

That was AGDQ and yeah, the real problem with the race this year was a lack of excitement or participation.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh boy, this Setup game looks awesome.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Say no to Team Rose :colbert:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

mfcrocker posted:

The big the cat segments are amazing though

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

flatluigi posted:

The big the cat segments are amazing though

This is for Heroes though so there's no fishing

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What

is

HAPPENING

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

These are the best runs.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Oh look at this mess.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

What is this bullshit.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Haha casually Doing Things the Hard Way for no reason at all

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

mfcrocker posted:

Haha casually Doing Things the Hard Way for no reason at all

yeah FB is a monster at vvvvvv

deathless

percent

e. don't quote me on that now that I think about it that may have been a fever dream I had when I was trying to learn this game back in 2012

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jan 5, 2015

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

SeXReX posted:

deathless

percent

:psyduck: I will never be that good

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Ars Technica did an interview with the organizer of the TASbot team.

DwangoAC posted:

When Masterjun later took p4plus2's standalone .smc ROM file of SMB on an SNES and ported it to execute inside of SMW, he initially did not include the SPC initialization to write the audio data, [which] thus pointed to whatever SMW left there ... The result was extremely surprising — nearly every single sound effect from SMW matched up to SMB perfectly, with some minor exceptions such as the flagpole. ... it's possible to run SMB on SNES standalone, but we did discover by pure chance that the SMW developers apparently re-used the same general [sound] mappings from SMB.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Sonic coming up, now we'll finally get some speed in these speedruns.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

pisshead posted:

Sonic coming up, now we'll finally get some speed in these speedruns.

*stops moving every quarter of a second to charge spindash*

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm lost, how does this Guy Sitting On Couch Alone In An Empty Room speedrun work?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm lost, how does this Guy Sitting On Couch Alone In An Empty Room speedrun work?

Time starts when the first cheek makes contact and stops when he falls asleep.

one of the PC runs in bonus stream last year I watched on the couch via the nice 46 incher they had set up as a monitor clone. They wouldn't let me play any games on the other TVs there though :(

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

mfcrocker posted:

Does voting for a team mean we get to hear their theme song?
If so everyone donate and vote Team Chaotix.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

mfcrocker posted:

FOLLOW ME INSIDE

OUTSIDE

THROOUGH THE STRATOSPHERE

team rose is in fact the greatest, but really though I would be inclined to support it because Big the cat can do some wacky poo poo and its pretty incredible. Team Sonic and Dark are pretty vanilla iirc but Chaotix was interesting enough in the base game that a speedrun of it might be cool but I've never seen it.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I always wonder how runners decide what they're going to wear on stream. Dress up too much you're a tool. Dress down and you're a slob. I would agonize for hours. Best to go with an open button-up w/t-shirt combo I guess.

What I'm trying to say is avoid purple hoodies

Bear Sleuth fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 5, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TEAM CHAOTIX

THEY'RE DETECTIVES

YOU WANT ON YOUR SIDE

TEAM CHAOTIX

THEIR DIRECTIVE'S

TRACKING DOWN YOUR CRIME

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

ok so not "deathless" because he used the suicide button to go fast but yeah it actually happened with 0 unintentional deaths
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz0CzNY7LQM

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Man I really wish they had a mic going so we could get some crowd noise, this complete silence is weird.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

flatluigi posted:

Man I really wish they had a mic going so we could get some crowd noise, this complete silence is weird.
They should just play Sonic character theme music while we wait.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

InspectorCarbonara posted:

They should just play Sonic character theme music while we wait.

the opening 2 bars of live and learn will sustain me

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

flatluigi posted:

http://twitch.tv/pinballjoe is the real AGDQ stream, not sure what the deal is with this couch stream

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

snodig posted:

Every time I think a run is boring or too long, I think back on the starcraft 2 run and realize it's not that bad after all.

Didn't that go on for something torturous like 5 hours too?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't know what I expected from a Sonic game, but this looks dreadful.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

SeXReX posted:

http://twitch.tv/pinballjoe is the real AGDQ stream, not sure what the deal is with this couch stream

Lol what the gently caress is this?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Crain posted:

Lol what the gently caress is this?

there are like 4 or 5 pinball tables set up on freeplay at the event and this guy has a stream up of one of them, rotating daily.

the random conversations you get to eavesdrop on are the best I watched Werster talk to him about version differences and poo poo for like half an hour earlier.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Is it just my browser, or is the audio mix super quiet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Optimus Subprime posted:

Is it just my browser, or is the audio mix super quiet?

I think the people are just super quiet. Announcer is easy enough to hear.

• Locked thread