Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you don't want to say anything why would you sit on the couch.

Minrad posted:

Even with chokes I think he's still S-ranked every stage, so it isn't that bad. If he comes in 11th on a stage then yeah we can say it's worse

Is that run worth watching for the choke? I missed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Takoluka posted:

But is this more chokey than Mario Kart?

Couldn't say, but at least he hasn't gone "I don't know why you guys are clapping, that wasn't supposed to happen"

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i can't believe i loving called that choke.

how do you get on a GDQ running Generations and not know how to do that with 100% success

he can't m-speed, he can't SDJ, he can't even follow the SIMPLEST fastroutes reliably. What an embarrassment.

I could do that poo poo on my old shitbox laptop at only 20fps.

At least he can fish-cancel... and choke.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I was gonna skip the Mario Kart run cause I heard the dude was awful but is it worth watching for trainwreck (Kartwreck?) quality?

Thanks Internet
May 27, 2012

This poster just flew all the way from Caketown just to make this post!

Now THAT'S desperate!

Internet Kraken posted:

Is that run worth watching for the choke? I missed it.

No, it's just a really aggressively mediocre run.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Minrad posted:

Even with chokes I think he's still S-ranked every stage, so it isn't that bad. If he comes in 11th on a stage then yeah we can say it's worse

s-ranks are crazy generous in Generations. If you don't die and take a decent route, you'll get an S.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

He died on a waterrunning straightaway.

Jesus

Oh, hey, he mentioned M-Speed. And said he's straight up not gonna do it. :laffo::laffo::laffo:

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

weekly font posted:

I was gonna skip the Mario Kart run cause I heard the dude was awful but is it worth watching for trainwreck (Kartwreck?) quality?

it looks like poo poo with bad fps and the choke isnt even funny its just him failing to do a wall glitch like 5 times in a row

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.
not knowing how to m-speed confirmed

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah generations is probably the easiest game in the franchise to S rank

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Why would you speedrun Mario Kart Wii anyway? Mario Kart 8 is like a million times better and doesn't have nearly as much AI dickery. (I didn't watch the MKWii speedrun but I'm assuming that's what happened.)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Lord Chumley posted:

not knowing how to m-speed confirmed

why am I, noted mediocre-at-best-poster DoctorWhat, able to clown on this guy so easily?

I KNOW WHY: HE'S SHITE.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Here I'm going to just spin dash jump and ..... oh that was bad. - this run

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

:smith: at least... at least he was good at SA2?

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

RyokoTK posted:

Why would you speedrun Mario Kart Wii anyway? Mario Kart 8 is like a million times better and doesn't have nearly as much AI dickery. (I didn't watch the MKWii speedrun but I'm assuming that's what happened.)

It has a lot of out of bounds glitches and stuff that the runner tried to do but just couldn't execute

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Looks like I'm not missing much at work. Hope I get home in time for F-Zero X that poo poo is going to be mad.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
best sonic song right here

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

why am I, noted mediocre-at-best-poster
Why indeed.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

weekly font posted:

Eeeh if it wasn't the tech issues it might scrape in to be kind of worth watching but it lagged badly and had some ear-bleeding audio distortion. The main choke went on a few attempts too long anyway and it got pretty very cringe-worthy. It's not that long a run though so whatever. Frankly after DKR the MK run was a move up in entertainment.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
He probably should have just stuck with SA2 and practiced Generations a bit more, but oh well.

At least we got the wonderful :colbert::colbert: duo out of this run

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Sonic games are popular enough that the should have been able to find someone who isn't poo poo. After watching the City Esacpe WR posted I can see why this guy is at best an intermediate skill runner.

I know that GDQ only vets against the runs submitted by people wanting to appear. But I think they need to switch to a new system. It's been long enough that they can compile a list of staple runs that always show up and easily fill most of the marathon (poo poo like TASbot always shows up, there is always a Super Metroid run, same with Mario, Zelda, sonic, and numerous other fan favorites) with those. Then find runners with great technical skill, good charisma, and the ability to be entertaining while playing the game, and vet couch members that work with said chosen runner. Then they can leave a certain number of slots for either newer games that are less well tested and user submitted runs that weren't already on the list.

*GDQ is quickly out growing it's ability to be a fun, quirky informal event. We've seen a lot of changes over the last year and especially this year, but they still haven't quite gotten the hang of correctly billing the event. Bad and boring runs are literally costing them money when upwards of 20k-40k people stop watching during something like DKR happens.

They need to hire a profession event planner to help them decide on who will be on camera and in the hot seats.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Sonic Generations is just a depressing reminder at how Sega has ruined this franchise.

Sturmtiger IV
Jun 20, 2004

So is that thing a robot or a monkey or what
Is there an archive of the speedruns that have already taken place? I know there was last year but I can't seem to find the darn thing :psyduck:

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Why you'd want to sit on the couch if you have nothing to contribute? Maybe the other chairs are hard on the rear end? IDGI.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Sturmtiger IV posted:

Is there an archive of the speedruns that have already taken place? I know there was last year but I can't seem to find the darn thing :psyduck:

http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/comments/2ra5rw/agdq_vods_thread_2015/

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bulk and skull are his backup in case the speedrun gets heavy

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

DarkspineSonic was on the couch for SA2 and he runs Generations and he's probably better than Talon is.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Sonic Generations is just a depressing reminder at how Sega has ruined this franchise.

Lost World was okay.

I mean it's nowhere near the level of Generations, Colors, or Adventure 2, but it's still a decent game.

Sturmtiger IV
Jun 20, 2004

So is that thing a robot or a monkey or what

Thanks very much! I shoulda checked there. :eng99:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

There's an awful awful thread on Reddit about why this AGDQ is so dull and they site a whole bunch of horribly nerdshoe bullshit and not the fact that every third speedrunner is loving garbage at the game.

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Just tuned in. What an awkward couch pairing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

best sonic song right here

even excluding the crush40-and-company buttrock, Rooftop Run would like to have a word with you.

Rooftop Run is made of orange and balloons and GOES FAST and the music is wonderful.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Lost World was okay.

I mean it's nowhere near the level of Generations, Colors, or Adventure 2, but it's still a decent game.

I'm talking more along the lines of the level designs in generations it just goes from cool, cheery looking levels and now sonic is in a loving hellscape fighting godzilla lizards.

Like where did it all go wrong.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I'm talking more along the lines of the level designs in generations it just goes from cool, cheery looking levels and now sonic is in a loving hellscape fighting godzilla lizards.

and then, ROOFTOP RUN!

it went back to okay! Planet Wisp, too!

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Webbeh posted:

Just tuned in. What an awkward couch pairing.

They have so much in common though!

http://imgur.com/w586qLu

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Crabbe seems to have loosened up a bit, but Goyle, jesus.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
The faces of those two on the sofa are the direct result of spending 15 years on the Sonic Cycle.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

OH MY GOD THIS ROOFTOP RUN MODERN RUN IS MAKING ME FURIOUS

HE RAN OUT OF BOOST BEFORE THE GODDAMN BARRELS, HE DIDN'T DO CLOCKTOWER SKIP (WHICH EVEN I CAN DO), HE'S NOT M-SPEEDING, HE'S poo poo poo poo poo poo!!!

fcuk

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Oh well in that case we can probably blame Adventure 2 for giving Sega that "Sonic should be edgy because that's cool" high. As great of a game as it is it kinda started that whole mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I just realized there is another 3d sonic game left to go. please god why have you forsaken me

• Locked thread