Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Does the couch guy on the right occasionally start singing things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoctorWhat posted:

Then they should exhibit Sonic Generations at *GDQ in a more IL-friendly context. Better, more tech-capable runners to maximize hype.

This is a thing they should not do, actually.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
the true crime committed here is that its a dr who fan who is complaining about a sonic speedrun

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Takoluka posted:

Does the couch guy on the right occasionally start singing things?

He is not jolly right now.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DoctorWhat posted:

Then they should exhibit Sonic Generations at *GDQ in a more IL-friendly context. Better, more tech-capable runners to maximize hype.

Okay, in the context of a marathon where you have one shot at a run instead of different contexts when you can grind out runs and tricks over and over, what would you suggest they do differently

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Bholder posted:

We really need Sonic 06 speedrun.

It actually does have some broken speedrun things in it.
DarkSpinesSonic did a quick glitch run of Sonic and Silver's stories last year.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

flatluigi posted:

Okay, in the context of a marathon where you have one shot at a run instead of different contexts when you can grind out runs and tricks over and over, what would you suggest they do differently

Get someone who's as consistent at Generations as the GX runners are at GX, and have them just do a series of runs of the Modern Lavels (AKA the actual game). Otherwise, don't show the game at all. Treat the speedgame with some respect, ya know?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Mr E posted:

Excuse me, F-Zero is coming up. Also, I think Tropical Freeze was a perfect start this year.

Tropical Freeze was super rad; seeing new games speedrun is always fun because there's no expectations like with this run.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

beautiful

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Well he beat estimate.

By thirteen seconds.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug

'I'll admit I could go for one of those right now'

e: oh god evacuate this couch immediately

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

a sonic GR IL run of modern would be great for a race. Way better than something like DKR, where the game is so long and demanding that someone who can't consistently get one trick right just ends up 5 minutes behind for the entire run. Short enough that a single gently caress up can mean the difference between 1st and 2nd, and that makes for the most hype races. That's why SMW, SM64, etc races are so great.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoctorWhat posted:

Get someone who's as consistent at Generations as the GX runners are at GX, and have them just do a series of runs of the Modern Lavels (AKA the actual game). Otherwise, don't show the game at all. Treat the speedgame with some respect, ya know?

lol shut up you dork, GDQ isn't made for super-autists despite what you seem to think.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
He beat the estimate, and he volunteered his time and skills for charity.

But, you know, we shouldn't let him do it because he screwed up a couple things.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

oh my god purple guy please leave

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

WHAT GOES UP, MUST COME DOWN, time go out and get some things done while Sonic Heroes gets run so I can come watch the GO FAST block end with F-Zero.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

or they could just hope that good speedrunners will show some initiative and offer their own services and only have themselves to blame if a mediocre guy was the best applicant

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Minrad posted:

WHAT GOES UP, MUST COME DOWN, time go out and get some things done while Sonic Heroes gets run so I can come watch the GO FAST block end with F-Zero.

My thoughts exactly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

this run sucked but doctorwhocosplayman getting mad owned hard, run of the day imo

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Okay, I'm getting overinvested. I went from "mocking" to "angry" and it was silly and unwarranted. I'm just getting a little fed up of the mediocre runs that have characterized so much of the marathon so far.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

I'm just getting a little fed up of the mediocre runs that have characterized so much of the marathon so far.
Going for world records or even personal bests isn't really the point of the marathon.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Caveman!! :swoon:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
thank god

they all left

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Big the Cat confirmed

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Team Rose? Really?

Isn't Team Dark the best with the constant "ANNIHILATE DESTROY, USELESS CONSUMER MODEL"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i'm sorry everyone, the sonic generations run is canceled because the runner doesn't know how to do this one technique 99% of you have never heard of

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Endorph posted:

Going for world records or even personal bests isn't really the point of the marathon.

mediocre-to-watch. The DKR race, the lack of commentary, etc. TASBOT was great, as was the VVVVVV stuff, and Uncharted's clips were fun,but a lot of the runs have been dull.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

DoctorWhat posted:

Okay, I'm getting overinvested. I went from "mocking" to "angry" and it was silly and unwarranted. I'm just getting a little fed up of the mediocre runs that have characterized so much of the marathon so far.

Maybe you should've been around for the Sega block. Those were all really solid runs in games way more worthwhile than Sonic Generations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I can totally see a repeat of http://webmshare.com/play/6MXd1 if we get some sonic sing-a-longs going. God, I kinda wanna stay and watch this now.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

RyokoTK posted:

In fairness, the first two days of every GDQ event usually suck pretty hard. They usually put a good run or two at the start (SGDQ '14 had Mario 3D World, for example) but then it's like 36 hours of lame stuff.

At least tonight we'll have the Early FPS block, that's always good stuff.

Last night had Tomb Raider -> Uncharted -> Infamous and I expected them all to suck but they kinda owned because it was interesting people who knew the games despite the fact that on paper they aren't really speed run friendly. Sonic is a game where the point is to be fast but these clowns are just loving boring and bad. Sonic should be demoted to late night hours if they're gonna have stuff that makes potential donators tune out.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bholder posted:

Team Rose? Really?

Isn't Team Dark the best with the constant "ANNIHILATE DESTROY, USELESS CONSUMER MODEL"
team rose is the shortest, so count your blessings

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Brother Entropy posted:

i'm sorry everyone, the sonic generations run is canceled because the runner doesn't know how to do this one technique 99% of you have never heard of

"sure this Super Metroid speedrunner doesn't know how to mockball, but 99.999999% of humanity doesn't know what a mockball is, so does it really matter?"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Genesis block last night was a lot of fun to watch sorry you hate good things.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

DoctorWhat posted:

How bout you just shut the gently caress up from now on.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Uncharted was the best run I've seen so far.

Love the vine.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Genesis block last night was a lot of fun to watch sorry you hate good things.

I was asleep for that one. I'll catch the VOD.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Aw poo poo time to watch Big the Cat dominate Sonic Heroes. :getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

"sure this Super Metroid speedrunner doesn't know how to mockball, but 99.999999% of humanity doesn't know what a mockball is, so does it really matter?"
it doesn't matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
Anything weird and terrible coming up this year like Zoo Race?

• Locked thread