Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Here in Australia there are actually things legally required to be said as part of the ceremony. One of these is a line added by the Howard government a few years ago that means any celebrant carrying out a wedding has to say the following.

quote:

Celebrants must also cite words from section 46 of the act, known as the ''monitum'', which include ''marriage, according to law in Australia, is the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life''.

If whoever is performing the ceremony doesn't say that, it isn't a legal ceremony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Senor Tron posted:

Here in Australia there are actually things legally required to be said as part of the ceremony. One of these is a line added by the Howard government a few years ago that means any celebrant carrying out a wedding has to say the following.

If whoever is performing the ceremony doesn't say that, it isn't a legal ceremony.

gently caress Australia.

jkyuusai
Jun 26, 2008

homegrown man milk

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Shhh, don't interrupt the narrative.

What's the narrative?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I suppose it's for the best that we deal with these stalling tactics now and get this set of problems out of the way. I have no doubt other states are going to look for their own ways to drag this out.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Hoooooly gently caress.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
Are people allowed to pronounce "woman" as "Whoa, man!"?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

gently caress Australia.

That's pretty astonishing, but I shouldn't be astonished by the depths of Australian bigotry and how much they'll tell you it isn't bigotry. I suppose we should be thankful for our concept of negative rights that would never abide including specific language in all religious ceremonies.

Really astonishing.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

SedanChair posted:

That's pretty astonishing, but I shouldn't be astonished by the depths of Australian bigotry and how much they'll tell you it isn't bigotry. I suppose we should be thankful for our concept of negative rights that would never abide including specific language in all religious ceremonies.

Really astonishing.

Fortunately, at least on the issue of same sex marriage the Australian public is consistently in favour. It's the socially conservative politicians that keep loving it up for everyone.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Senor Tron posted:

Fortunately, at least on the issue of same sex marriage the Australian public is consistently in favour. It's the socially conservative politicians that keep loving it up for everyone.

Then who votes the politicians into power?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Obviously it must be voter apathy, if compulsory voting was in effect people w- oh.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The people who want to gently caress immigrants over more than they want to avoid loving over gays.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
That's pure political red meat. They wouldn't do it if it wasn't broadly popular with at least their own base.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Ravenfood posted:

The people who want to gently caress immigrants over more than they want to avoid loving over gays.

Soooo people who don't actually support gays then.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

No Pants posted:

The preliminary injunction also ordered officials throughout the state to stop enforcing anti-SSM laws. That part was pretty clear.

Are county clerks "officers, agents, servants, employees, or attorneys" of the Secretary of DMS or the Surgeon General? It's not at all clear that they are. The fact that some statewide offices are bound doesn't mean all statewide offices are bound.

Again: it's clear that the ruling should apply statewide logically, but the order itself is unclear. In the absence of an order, generally speaking you don't want government officials to sua sponte decline to follow a valid law due to their belief it's unconstitutional.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

The problem is that it's widely supported in the australian public but that doesn't mean it's a number one issue, and also australian government seats can be pretty divided so the handful of swing seats that actually "decide" the election (like your states) end up being the most pandered to. They are generally some socially more conservative seats so you get this weird situation where even our "left" wing party is spineless and sells out major principles that even their party supporters want due to havingn a chance at getting a few seats back. Like if Obama just ignored New York because he has a chance at Ohio for example.

If Australia had state by state ruled a couple of states would have gay marriage already :(

I'm getting married this year and after the celebrant says "government defines as between a man and a woman" we are getting her to say "which is something the bride and groom hope will change sometime in the near future" :)

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Kalman posted:

Are county clerks "officers, agents, servants, employees, or attorneys" of the Secretary of DMS or the Surgeon General? It's not at all clear that they are. The fact that some statewide offices are bound doesn't mean all statewide offices are bound.

You forgot about the "and others in active concert or participation with any of them." Marriage licenses are granted by statewide authorities that fall under one of those two named officials, so of course county clerks are acting in concert or participation with them. The defendant list was pruned down to those two officials because everyone agreed that they were all that was needed for a ruling to affect the entire state.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

teacup posted:

I'm getting married this year and after the celebrant says "government defines as between a man and a woman" we are getting her to say "which is something the bride and groom hope will change sometime in the near future" :)

It's awesome she'd do that. Good for ya'll!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

No Pants posted:

You forgot about the "and others in active concert or participation with any of them." Marriage licenses are granted by statewide authorities that fall under one of those two named officials, so of course county clerks are acting in concert or participation with them. The defendant list was pruned down to those two officials because everyone agreed that they were all that was needed for a ruling to affect the entire state.

"Of course they're acting in concert or participation" because, what, they submit forms to them for recordation? You're reading way too much into that phrase.

Also, you seem to believe there's been a ruling on the merits. There wasn't. (It's incredibly unlikely the eventual ruling will be different, but technically the law is not yet struck down, which is why this is an issue in the first place.)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gainesville Sun reports:

quote:

Clerks around the state had a lengthy conference call late Friday morning, in which they were told that U.S. District Judge Robert Hinkle had clarified his Washington County ruling to mean that county clerks should issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples or risk being sued. All of the state’s clerks have said they will issue licenses, although clerks in Duval, Clay, Baker, Santa Rosa and Okaloosa counties say they no longer will perform marriage ceremonies.

So it's official, done and done, and another state's on the board in 4 days. Who didn't see this coming? Love conquers all :woop:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Chris James 2 posted:

So it's official, done and done, and another state's on the board in 4 days. Who didn't see this coming? Love conquers all :woop:

Despite Florida's best efforts to the contrary, at that.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Edit: I disagree, but I'll drop it, since it doesn't matter anymore.

No Pants fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jan 3, 2015

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's awesome she'd do that. Good for ya'll!

Yeah it's annoying, we don't know anyone who would complain if she ever didn't say it but if someone reported it and she was found to have not said it it's a voided marriage and I believe she loses her license and is fined thousands, it's just stupid. We stole the idea from someone else, essentially as long as they say the bullshit man and woman part you could like almost literally just say "gently caress JOHN HOWARD AND TONY ABBOTT" afterwards and it'd still be legal.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Despite Florida's best efforts to the contrary, at that.

Still being babies about it though. The list of counties that are now saying they just won't do courthouse ceremonies anymore is now apparently at least 13 (was originally 5). Wouldn't be Florida if they weren't sore losers, I guess.

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
My home state of Indiana showing once again why we can't have nice things.

A proposed bill posted:

...bakeries, caterers, florists and other small businesses [could] refuse services to gay couples based on the owner's religious beliefs.

http://www.wthr.com/story/27752587/bill-would-allow-hoosiers-to-refuse-gay-weddings

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Saw this one just now on the whole florida thing, and it had one quote from the county clerk that pretty much sums it all up.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/in-north-florida-a-views-collide-over-gay-weddings-as-many-clerks-opt-out/2212297
Paco County Clerk of Court Paula O'Neil -

quote:

"The problem is we can't discriminate,"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Millions posted:

http://www.wthr.com/story/27752587/bill-would-allow-hoosiers-to-refuse-gay-weddings

I'm kind of glad that my favorite pizza chain there is apparently gay rights. :unsmith:.

Pizza King Indy @PizzaKingIndy · Sep 4
Someday soon, the Pizza King will get to marry the Pizza Prince.
http://indy.st/1AboQfJ

What a loving dick move though.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Chris James 2 posted:

Still being babies about it though. The list of counties that are now saying they just won't do courthouse ceremonies anymore is now apparently at least 13 (was originally 5). Wouldn't be Florida if they weren't sore losers, I guess.
Nevermind

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jan 3, 2015

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm kind of glad that my favorite pizza chain there is apparently gay rights. :unsmith:.

Pizza King Indy @PizzaKingIndy · Sep 4
Someday soon, the Pizza King will get to marry the Pizza Prince.
http://indy.st/1AboQfJ

What a loving dick move though.

Reads like a slippery slope thing to me. Might be accidental, of course.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

RottenK posted:

Reads like a slippery slope thing to me. Might be accidental, of course.

Sounds like it is saying gay marriages will lead to legalized gay incest pedophelia to me.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Too late, I've married my pizza

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Aleph Null posted:

Sounds like it is saying gay marriages will lead to legalized gay incest pedophelia to me.

Prince consort is the official title of Queen regnant's husband if he isn't King in his own right, so a King absolutely would marry a Prince :colbert:

Interestingly that means the wife of a Queen Regnant would be Queen consort because the female spouse of a monarch is always a Queen. :eng101:

katium
Jun 26, 2006

Purrs like a kitten.
Equality Case Files ‏@EQCF

#Florida defendants won't file 11th Circuit reply brief; "appeal may be submitted to the Court" http://bit.ly/1BgVRdR @equalityfl @ACLUFL

Is Bondi essentially giving up the whole case? (IANAL; I don't know if this is unusual or not.)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Millions posted:

Does any state actually think that Kennedy's going to side with conservatives in allowing whites only "straights only" to be the law of the land? He's pretty solidly on the right for bullshit abortion claims (see: Hobby Lobby) but he seems like the guy to write the 5-4 (or bigger) majority striking that kind of law down if it made it to the SCOTUS.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Evil Fluffy posted:

Does any state actually think that Kennedy's going to side with conservatives in allowing whites only "straights only" to be the law of the land? He's pretty solidly on the right for bullshit abortion claims (see: Hobby Lobby) but he seems like the guy to write the 5-4 (or bigger) majority striking that kind of law down if it made it to the SCOTUS.

I just got the mental image of Scalia getting badgered into a unanimous decision a la Brown v Board, getting picked to read the ruling, puking explosively all over, then saying "that was my only copy oh well can't read it now."

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

I just got the mental image of Scalia getting badgered into a unanimous decision a la Brown v Board, getting picked to read the ruling, puking explosively all over, then saying "that was my only copy oh well can't read it now."

Personally I'm expecting him to read his concurring opinion which involves evil scientist background music and him claiming everyone fell into his trap.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Personally I'm expecting him to read his concurring opinion which involves evil scientist background music and him claiming everyone fell into his trap.
"Unbeknownst to all but myself, every successful gay marriage actually releases a deadly chemical called gaymonium. After harnessing a small sample from all 50 states, I have built a humongous gay bomb that will level the entire country. Thanks, Obama!"

Then, as Blue Footed Booby above said, he hate-vomits all over his documents.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Marriage equality in Florida gets a head start in Miami-Dade County.

It'll still be midnight for other counties, and in some cases, probably not until the offices open tomorrow morning.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ballz posted:

Marriage equality in Florida gets a head start in Miami-Dade County.

It'll still be midnight for other counties, and in some cases, probably not until the offices open tomorrow morning.

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/more_than_a_dozen_florida_counties_just_got_out_of_the_wedding_business

Of course, some counties are pulling the 'If gays marry, NOBODY MARRIES' tantrum.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
My home state depresses me sometimes. Motherfuckin' crybaby counties. Sack up, you sore losers.

I'm hugely relieved that my home county isn't on the list of whiners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The panel makeup for the 5th circuit SSM case was announced last week.

Two Reagan nominees and one Obama nominee. One of the Reagan judges is very likely to be anti-ssm but the other is unknown.

• Locked thread