Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Trying to find a game for my dad, this was as much as he could remember. Old arcade game, maybe a Sega game? You control a flying machine (chopper or plane, can't recall). There are hexagons you can blow up, they either give you score or have a bomb in them that blow up the other hexagons around it, netting you more points. There's an enemy flying machine doing the same on the other side of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Zaphod42 posted:

A really fun one is that some convenience store... 7-11 maybe? Licensed the same sound stock that Sega used for the Sonic ring collection sound, as their cashier ring-up noise. Always throws me off.

I've noticed this too but the more noticeable one to me is there's a gas station chain that uses the old icq message notification "UH OH!" to ping the age verification for tobacco/alcohol purchases.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

chairface posted:

I've noticed this too but the more noticeable one to me is there's a gas station chain that uses the old icq message notification "UH OH!" to ping the age verification for tobacco/alcohol purchases.

It's not the chain of gas stations; it's the software a lot of them use. A specific gas station point of sale system uses those sounds. It's weird it has so many stolen sounds and poo poo, I swear some of them even have Sonic bouncing off a spring and screeching to a halt as sounds too.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
There was a hacking (I think) mini-game, I thought it was in Bioshock but I might be mistaken. The idea was to guide a peg through a maze without touching the walls and setting off alarms. If I remember correctly, it was a twin-stick game.

Any ideas?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

AnimalChin posted:

There was a hacking (I think) mini-game, I thought it was in Bioshock but I might be mistaken. The idea was to guide a peg through a maze without touching the walls and setting off alarms. If I remember correctly, it was a twin-stick game.

Any ideas?

I think that mini-game was in a bunch of games. Only one I can remember right now is Dead to Rights, though that was for disarming bombs.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Mehuyael posted:

I think that mini-game was in a bunch of games. Only one I can remember right now is Dead to Rights, though that was for disarming bombs.

You're right, because I've never played Dead To Rights but that's the mini-game. At least it's very, very similar.

Anyone know of a game that's just this disarming part?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

AnimalChin posted:

You might look up Kuru Kuru Kururin, which is similar except that instead of a peg, you have to guide a rotating bar. It's a GBA game.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

This is actually a pretty fun (and pleasantly creepy) game

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Arcade game, either very late 90's or early 00's, 3rd person arena shooter. Each cabinet could be linked up to other cabinets like a LAN. You could choose from a few (maybe four?) characters that had varying strengths, but most people at the arcade picked the biggest guy with the biggest gun, probably because the game wasn't balanced at all.

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Bit of a long shot, but I remember playing an N64 game at a friend's house where you customised robots and battled them. It had an RPGesque story mode, but we mostly just played multiplayer deathmatch. I distinctly remember pissing him off by spamming a gun that shot bees. It was in Japanese, so it may not even have been localised. Any ideas?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Gato posted:

Bit of a long shot, but I remember playing an N64 game at a friend's house where you customised robots and battled them. It had an RPGesque story mode, but we mostly just played multiplayer deathmatch. I distinctly remember pissing him off by spamming a gun that shot bees. It was in Japanese, so it may not even have been localised.

Could be a Custom Robo game.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

AnimalChin posted:

You're right, because I've never played Dead To Rights but that's the mini-game. At least it's very, very similar.

There was a Playstation game that was nothing but that called Irritating Stick. Here's a LongPlay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ePkBHX1rDo

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Freakazoid_ posted:

Arcade game, either very late 90's or early 00's, 3rd person arena shooter. Each cabinet could be linked up to other cabinets like a LAN. You could choose from a few (maybe four?) characters that had varying strengths, but most people at the arcade picked the biggest guy with the biggest gun, probably because the game wasn't balanced at all.

Cyber Sled?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Freakazoid_ posted:

Virtual On?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'd guess The Grid.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Freakazoid_ posted:

Maybe it was Outtrigger?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

blackguy32 posted:

Maybe it was Outtrigger?

Hmm. I don't remember that game having characters with different stats. Been a while though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wamdoodle posted:

Hmm. I don't remember that game having characters with different stats. Been a while though.

Capcom and Sega did do two other arcade games on the same engine as Outtrigger, each was a licensed game based on Spawn and Heavy Metal respectively though so they'd probably stand out if it was them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtaZFeTRSPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtvOvVxiq60

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Caitlin posted:

I'd guess The Grid.

I think it was this one. Outrigger was close but the cabinet was way off. It's possible I played both at one point and got them mixed up over time.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
This has been driving me crazy! It was a windows 95 game- or something from about that era. It was a simulation game- but it was for an office environment, but it could also have manufacturing equipment and such in it. You hired workers and created and sold items. It had a one word name- something about business, or some kind of business lingo. It wasn't by maxis or any company I can remember.

Saint Septimus
Dec 9, 2005

Just Offscreen posted:

This has been driving me crazy! It was a windows 95 game- or something from about that era. It was a simulation game- but it was for an office environment, but it could also have manufacturing equipment and such in it. You hired workers and created and sold items. It had a one word name- something about business, or some kind of business lingo. It wasn't by maxis or any company I can remember.

Free Enterprise?

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Just Offscreen posted:

Entrepreneur? (1997)

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Just Offscreen posted:

Capitalism, possibly? I've played Capitalism 2 and it's kind of similar, you make and sell and buy stuff. Don't think specific workers played a part though.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

That was it! Thank you!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm trying to remember an old 90's game that was more then likely shareware. I got it on one of those '100 games on one disc!" type of things. Everything was completely static sprites and you were a yellow ball. The goal was to get to the end of each maze and maybe you had to collect something along the way. You got through the maze by pushing around obstacles (some of which were sticky or magnetized to some other block). Some blocks had arrows on them which meant they would move in that direction if unopposed by anything. You mostly lost by accidentally blocking paths off but there were a few enemies that could kill you. It may have been about 20 or so levels long. The name may have started with Z.

It ain't ZZT or one of the games built of it and my searching skills are failing to find this super generic and forgettable game.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 9, 2015

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

World Famous Whore posted:

I'm trying to remember an old 90's game that was more then likely shareware. I got it on one of those '100 games on one disc!" type of things. Everything was completely static sprites and you were a yellow ball. The goal was to get to the end of each maze and maybe you had to collect something along the way. You got through the maze by pushing around obstacles (some of which were sticky or magnetized to some other block). Some blocks had arrows on them which meant they would move in that direction if unopposed by anything. You mostly lost by accidentally blocking paths off but there were a few enemies that could kill you. It may have been about 20 or so levels long. The name may have started with Z.

It ain't ZZT or one of the games built of it and my searching skills are failing to find this super generic and forgettable game.

It's not exactly a yellow ball, but was it one of the Bolo games? (by Soleau Software)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

cmndstab posted:

It's not exactly a yellow ball, but was it one of the Bolo games? (by Soleau Software)
Pulling up screenshots it's not that but looks very similar in field layout and whatnot. The background was white I am pretty sure.

Only other clue I can think of is the Magnet blocks looked like the letter "H" I think.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
So the game I'm now trying to remember was from a long time ago on demo disc, possibly around 14+ years ago I think. I remember you had like a floating island or blimp that you used to go to other islands. I think everything was powered by windmills? There were a lot of other floating islands in the sky too, some you could dock at. I'm sorry I wish I could remember more.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Moochewmoo posted:

So the game I'm now trying to remember was from a long time ago on demo disc, possibly around 14+ years ago I think. I remember you had like a floating island or blimp that you used to go to other islands. I think everything was powered by windmills? There were a lot of other floating islands in the sky too, some you could dock at. I'm sorry I wish I could remember more.
Stratosphere usually is the "flying around on an island" game people are looking to remember, although there is a severe lack of blowing up those other islands in your description. Still, who knows!

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think it was this one. Outrigger was close but the cabinet was way off. It's possible I played both at one point and got them mixed up over time.

Should you ever make it out to Galloping Ghost Arcade in Brookfield, IL they have a setup for 3-4 cabinets already and just got more boards that they're looking for cabinets for.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

Stratosphere usually is the "flying around on an island" game people are looking to remember, although there is a severe lack of blowing up those other islands in your description. Still, who knows!

that game does look pretty dope, but I remember this had you walking around your island/ship as I flew around I think.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Moochewmoo posted:

that game does look pretty dope, but I remember this had you walking around your island/ship as I flew around I think.
Hmm. Project Nomads perhaps? Otherwise I've got nothing.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

MMAgCh posted:

Hmm. Project Nomads perhaps? Otherwise I've got nothing.

There we go! Thank you so much! I think I'll give this a play tonight.

SlumPrincess
Jan 1, 2006

Soon....soon I'm gonna make you a star

World Famous Whore posted:

Pulling up screenshots it's not that but looks very similar in field layout and whatnot. The background was white I am pretty sure.

Only other clue I can think of is the Magnet blocks looked like the letter "H" I think.

Sounds a lot like Kye, except the ball is green instead of yellow.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

SlumPrince posted:

Sounds a lot like Kye, except the ball is green instead of yellow.
That's it! Holy hell, y'all are good to figure out a game when I can't even remember half the stuff right. Going to have to get this later tonight.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to think of a DOS game I played in the mid nineties. It was an action adventure game, medieval setting. 3/4 overhead view, but not isometric, like Crystalis. The only things I remember is you are a man who starts in a cottage and venture out into the woods. It advances a screen at a time, and the woods are kind of a maze, like the lost woods in the nes zelda. Sometimes a wolf would catch up to you and you would have to swipe at it with a very dinky knife that I think was supposed to be a sword. I am about 50% sure it had the word "dark" in the title. The main character sprites were very poor and the walking animation stands out to me as very bad.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Danger Mahoney posted:

Trying to think of a DOS game I played in the mid nineties. It was an action adventure game, medieval setting. 3/4 overhead view, but not isometric, like Crystalis. The only things I remember is you are a man who starts in a cottage and venture out into the woods. It advances a screen at a time, and the woods are kind of a maze, like the lost woods in the nes zelda. Sometimes a wolf would catch up to you and you would have to swipe at it with a very dinky knife that I think was supposed to be a sword. I am about 50% sure it had the word "dark" in the title. The main character sprites were very poor and the walking animation stands out to me as very bad.

Er, Dink Smallwood?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hakkesshu posted:

Er, Dink Smallwood?

No, not Dink.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

It's a PC game- very late 90's to early 00's. The setting was inside a PC- I think you drive a tank, or some other cyber-vehicle? The game would use assets from your pc like pictures on the sides of buildings and such.

I distinctly remember the demo for the game would pretend to delete c:/, the screen would go black, and the screen would read "Thank God it's only a game."

VV Holy poo poo that was quick- thank you!

What a terrible gimmick for a demo- though I remember sending it to all my friends to scare the poo poo out of them.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Just Offscreen posted:

It's a PC game- very late 90's to early 00's. The setting was inside a PC- I think you drive a tank, or some other cyber-vehicle? The game would use assets from your pc like pictures on the sides of buildings and such.

I distinctly remember the demo for the game would pretend to delete c:/, the screen would go black, and the screen would read "Thank God it's only a game."
Virus: The Game.