Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

lol internet. posted:

Does Windows Storage Pools/ReFS do anything magical in performance compared to hardware raid? (Home solution.)

performance? no. ReFS is great since it's journaled and the write is read to verify correctness before the write action is considered complete.

Storage pools mean that the drives don't all have to be the same which is pretty awesome, and you can swap drives around pretty easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

lol internet. posted:

Does Windows Storage Pools/ReFS do anything magical in performance compared to hardware raid? (Home solution.)

You don't have to rebuild the whole array when a drive goes south. If you know it's going bad you can just "check out" the drive and storage pools will migrate the data elsewhere so you have it duplicate data before you pull it. If the drive suddenly dies, just swap in a good drive and add it to the pool and storage spaces starts replicating the data back over and you can continue using the drives normally.

I've not noticed any speed improvements, i'm still getting just 1x speeds on a mirrored drive pool but I also have deduplication enabled (which is saving me about 3TB of space)

TheEffect
Aug 12, 2013

incoherent posted:

Spiceworks is an apache web instance which could be raising flags (e: and if you're doing the network scanning: port scanning). If you're in an ITIL environment they're going stick to the prescribed methods till they stop following them. From the way you framed your org each dept (helpdesk, sysadmin, network security/admin) all have specific roles to take care of. help desk is there do boring rear end password resets and other level 1 things. Your role is to ensure the infrastructure is online and continue to document and reiterate documentation pertaining to the infrastructure.

Don't feel guilty of the lull periods of the position. Use that time to research, learn and study. Or just look busy and spend your time in SA.

You hit the nail on the head I think. The lulls are definitely what drove me to start playing with these things. I'll take your advice and this this time to study for additional certifications. Thanks!

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So after a few days of hitting my head against Windows Deployment Services, does anyone think they can explain to me the differences with the various points you can choose unattend options?

By this I mean the following:

Within WDS itself, there are various places in which you can choose an unattend file:

#1: Within the WDS server client architecture options for an unattend file
#2: Within the Install image option itself (The allow image to install in unattended mode option)
#3: And you can also choose to Sysprep and capture an image, to which you can then apply option #2 above during the image deployment

I'm having a hell of a time figuring out of any of these steps can overlap, or if you have to apply various options at each state you can specify an unattended option.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Wicaeed posted:

So after a few days of hitting my head against Windows Deployment Services, does anyone think they can explain to me the differences with the various points you can choose unattend options?

By this I mean the following:

Within WDS itself, there are various places in which you can choose an unattend file:

#1: Within the WDS server client architecture options for an unattend file
#2: Within the Install image option itself (The allow image to install in unattended mode option)
#3: And you can also choose to Sysprep and capture an image, to which you can then apply option #2 above during the image deployment

I'm having a hell of a time figuring out of any of these steps can overlap, or if you have to apply various options at each state you can specify an unattended option.

Don't bother using WDS to actually deploy Windows. Download the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit to customize your Windows install and then use WDS for the MDT boot images.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So apparently SCCM licensing has changed? Anyone heard anything about this?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So apparently SCCM licensing has changed? Anyone heard anything about this?

It was mentioned in one of the threads a page or two back, I forget if it was this one or the working in IT thread... I think they are charging more per server or something?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Like 700 bones or some such?

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

incoherent posted:

Like 700 bones or some such?

Per server to use SCCM? Holy gently caress, I'm used to Microsoft gouging but :stare:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I think it was like $750 per server to use SCCM on a server. We just renewed our EA and our Microsoft rep didn't call it out.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Wicaeed posted:

Per server to use SCCM? Holy gently caress, I'm used to Microsoft gouging but :stare:

At list which is a base Open Agreement with 2 years of Software Assurance - $1,323 for Standard (up to 2 physical processors and 2 Managed OSEs) $3,607 for Datacenter (2 physical processors - unlimited cores, unlimited OSEs) but that includes the *entire* system center stack in the new licensing model.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Nebulis01 posted:

At list which is a base Open Agreement with 2 years of Software Assurance - $1,323 for Standard (up to 2 physical processors and 2 Managed OSEs) $3,607 for Datacenter (2 physical processors - unlimited cores, unlimited OSEs) but that includes the *entire* system center stack in the new licensing model.

I meant the SCCM client on a server, not the server software suite.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

GreenNight posted:

I meant the SCCM client on a server, not the server software suite.

As I understand it (and as far as I'm concerned MS licensing is a dark black art designed so that Microsoft can charge anyone anything they want to), the System Center tools are no longer licensed individually, only as the entire Suite. So you get SCOM, SCCM, DPM, etc all rolled into the one license.

It makes a great case for my as a consultant to be able to say "Hey since we just rolled SCOM on all of your servers, lets roll out SCCM and get rid of X Other Patching product and save you some money! *cough*so you can pay me some more*cough*"

This works really well when you license the physical servers with DataCenter and run a shitload of VMs on them. The DataCenter physical license passes down to all of the virtual guests.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So has anyone experienced any odd issues with the remote control tools built into SCCM? Like you right click remote control on one device and it just randomly goes to some other computer? It seems to be happening when we try to remotely connect to an offsite host connected through the VPN and instead it connects to some random in house computer. I've been looking through the CmRcViewer.log and I see a message that target principal name is incorrect and then it still just randomly connects to a random host.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Sounds like a DNS issue more than a SCCM issue, tbh.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That was my thought as well

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Yes I have seen this issue when there are DNS problems within the network. Do you have DNS scavenging enabled in your DNS server(s)?

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
This might be a stupid question. Let's say I have a laptop that I set up and give to somebody to work remotely.

Currently we have very limited remote access through web browser, so there's not really any VPN for users to connect to to talk to the DC. So from what I understand, unless they log in on the laptop while they're in the office on the network, the laptop doesn't know the user's account/credentials and will give them the no logon servers available error message.

Is there any way to seed a laptop with a user's credentials without having them log in? Like, when it joins the domain could it pull those credentials then and there?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Not that I'm aware of. We use a VPN that allows you to connect before workstation logon for situations like this.

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

I'm not even sure what I'm looking for here, but is there a way to disable permissions caching? We occasionally have issues where it appears the client is caching permissions, even though they've been changed server side, so they still get permission denied, even though they have access on the server. After rebooting, it fixes the cache (I guess?), but this is annoying and there has got to be a way to make the cache invalidate faster (this sometimes lasts for days) or just disable it altogether.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

How are you changing the permissions? If you grant a user access to a resource then that should be reflected instantly, but if you add them to a group that has access to that same resource then I believe that is only reflected by a logoff/logon cycle.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

You can modify the maximum lifetime of your kerberos tickets, or next time this happens, run klist purge at a command prompt which will force the client to get new kerberos tickets.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Bitlocker... if I'm understanding it right, laptops without a TPM module have to have either a pre-boot password or a security dongle to log in? But laptops with a TPM can simply have full disk encryption and just go through the normal Windows authentication? That latter is what I'm trying to do as I'm converting all our laptops to Windows 8.1 but some ProBook 450 G1 don't seem to have TPM. They mention TPM in the BIOS but I guess maybe it's not the TPM 1.2 that Win8.1 wants.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I didn't think a pre boot password was an option. I thought if there is no TPM 1.2 compatible chip, it has to be a usb flash drive

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

I didn't think a pre boot password was an option. I thought if there is no TPM 1.2 compatible chip, it has to be a usb flash drive

That's not the case because it allowed me to set a pre-boot password for a fact on the non-TPM (according to Windows) laptop like 30 minutes ago, thought it did first force me to either save the master key on a non-encrypted drive or print it out. After I did that it did activate Bitlocker.

That rest is right though?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have to pull out info from SQL about the state of our system, Invoke-SqlCmd seems to work really well but it's only installed/accessible from servers with SQL Server installed. I've tried running the query from osql but now the queries are exceeding 2500 characters which is the limit for raw queries. We're trying to avoid generating a .sql file because that adds yet another piece of code to check in maintain and get installation approval for.

Is there a better way to get information out of the database for a script in powershell? Running SQL queries in powershell from a remote server shouldn't be this hard without some special SQL server only tools in 2015! I feel like I'm missing something here.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 10, 2015

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

SQL 2008 and R2 are the only instances of SQLPS (AKA poo poo-partial implementation of powershell). SQL 2012/2014 have full, native powershell support.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 10, 2015

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I think we're trapped on SQL Server 2008 R2 for quite a while, we just got off of 2005 last year.

I'm running the powershell script on a second server, APPSVR, and querying data on a dedicated SQL server, SQLSRVDB

The psuedo code looks something like this

code:
$sqlcredentials = "abc"
$result = Invoke-SqlCmd $sqlcredentials -query "
select foo 
from bar 
while 2600 more characters
and too big for osql
"
–ServerInstance Server1 –Database TestDB -credentials $credentials

$parameter = $result.foo

&action.exe -parameter $parameter
And this works great where SQL 2008 is installed. But I'm hoping there's something equally portable.... or am I just going to have to make a function that calls something like this?

code:
$dataSource = ".\SQLEXPRESS"
$user = "user"
$pwd = "1234"
$database = "Test"
$connectionString = "Server=$dataSource;uid=$user; pwd=$pwd;Database=$database;Integrated Security=False;"
$query = "SELECT * FROM Person"
$connection = New-Object System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection
$connection.ConnectionString = $connectionString
#$connection.ConnectionString = "Server=$dataSource;Database=$database;Integrated Security=True;"
$connection.Open()
$command = $connection.CreateCommand()
$command.CommandText  = $query
$result = $command.ExecuteReader()
$table = new-object “System.Data.DataTable”
$table.Load($result)
$format = @{Expression={$_.Id};Label="User Id";width=10},@{Expression={$_.Name};Label="Identified Swede"; width=30}
$table | Where-Object {$_.Surname -like "*sson" -and $_.Born -lt 1990} | format-table $format
$table | Where-Object {$_.Surname -like "*sson" -and $_.Born -lt 1990} | format-table $format | Out-File C:\Users\Iris\Documents\swedes.txt
$connection.Close()

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 10, 2015

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

Thanks Ants posted:

How are you changing the permissions? If you grant a user access to a resource then that should be reflected instantly, but if you add them to a group that has access to that same resource then I believe that is only reflected by a logoff/logon cycle.

Yeah, it's usually adding them to a group, although in this case it was modifying the permissions on the folder itself.

As noted before, I'll try a klist purge next time

7of7
Jul 1, 2008
Just a test, who here is triggered by the word moonshot?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a Sharepoint thread anywhere around here? I checked SH/SC and in COBOL but couldn't find one.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

7of7 posted:

Just a test, who here is triggered by the word moonshot?

We looked at them briefly, pretty cool but a very limited use case.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Karthe posted:

Is there a Sharepoint thread anywhere around here? I checked SH/SC and in COBOL but couldn't find one.

It will be whatever thread gets sidetracked into talking about alcohol the most frequently.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

There was a SP thread but I think it got archived?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It's hard to keep a thread going when the posters regularly drink themselves to death.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Docjowles posted:

It's hard to keep a thread going when the posters regularly drink themselves to death.

code:
     ,-"-.__,-"-.__,-"-..
    ( C>  )( C>  )( C>  ))
   /.`-_-'||`-_-'||`-_-'/          WE TRUE HOMIES
  /-"-.--,-"-.--,-"-.--/|      WE DEBUG SERVERS TOGETHER
 ( C>  )( C>  )( C>  )/ |   WE DIE OF LIVER FAILURE TOGETHER
(|`-_-',.`-_-',.`-_-'/  |
 `-----++-----++----'|  |
 |     ||     ||     |-'
 |     ||     ||     |
 |     ||     ||     |
  `-_-'  `-_-'  `-_-'

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Bitlocker... if I'm understanding it right, laptops without a TPM module have to have either a pre-boot password or a security dongle to log in? But laptops with a TPM can simply have full disk encryption and just go through the normal Windows authentication? That latter is what I'm trying to do as I'm converting all our laptops to Windows 8.1 but some ProBook 450 G1 don't seem to have TPM. They mention TPM in the BIOS but I guess maybe it's not the TPM 1.2 that Win8.1 wants.

That sounds correct. From my limited experience computers with the TPM chip have to have a BIOS password enabled and then have the TPM chip enabled and ownership applied. Once that is done you can apply a GPO that enables bitlocker on the machine and force the host to upload it's encryption key to AD for safe keeping. If you do it that way without requiring a PIN or USB dongle it should be mostly transparent to your end users.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

That sounds correct. From my limited experience computers with the TPM chip have to have a BIOS password enabled and then have the TPM chip enabled and ownership applied. Once that is done you can apply a GPO that enables bitlocker on the machine and force the host to upload it's encryption key to AD for safe keeping. If you do it that way without requiring a PIN or USB dongle it should be mostly transparent to your end users.

This is correct. The method you're speaking of is to allow ADUC to manage the Bitlocker keys. That's an option, otherwise I believe you can have your MBAM server manage the keys. If a problem occurs with a workstation, you will see it boot to a black screen that asks for a recovery key. At that point you would access an MBAM web interface, enter the string on the screen of the broken workstation, and in return it spits out a key that you enter into the workstation. If successful it continues to boot into Windows.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Does Data Protection Manager use space on the source hard drive when performing a bare metal backup? A huge vhd file showed up in my server's C: root, why did that happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
You specifically DO NOT want to do the USB drive for a key route. We do that and it sucks.