Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jibo posted:

AGDQ is trying to put me to sleep this year.

Did anything notable happen between Rystar and F-Zero block that I should go back and watch?

Sonic Heroes, surprisingly. It's got some nuts glitches and the guy is super informative every step of the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Well F-Zero X is off to a promising start :staredog:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dominic White posted:

Yeah. It seems that almost every bit of endearing silliness (costumes, goofing off, plushies cycled on a regular basis, the sassy monitor) has been replaced with dead air or awkwardly read Messages From Our Sponsors.

I don't think I've heard that Turtle Beach one read once without the commentator tripping over themselves. It's horribly written, admittedly.

Edit: They mute the setup phases too, even when the commentator isn't saying anything. I liked being able to hear what's going on.

Like I said, it seems they chose the wrong areas to try and be professional in.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Jibo posted:

AGDQ is trying to put me to sleep this year.

Kinda boring this year

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
how do i donate for werster and black pepole on couch

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
I liked it better when you could see the whole room cheering and clapping and whatnot behind the runner. I think part of the reason it seems more professional or less hype is because there are less people behind the runner.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dominic White posted:

I don't think I've heard that Turtle Beach one read once without the commentator tripping over themselves. It's horribly written, admittedly.

What is even Turtle Beach? The message is just a string of buzzwords with literally no meaning :shepface:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
One race into F-Zero X and he's already gone spiraling off into space. RIP staff ghosts.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

They did say they wanted to make agdq more serious and have sgdq be wacky fun times.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Too many sponsors are turning the previously silly, fun ride into esports . Maybe for SGDQ they should, you know, play for fun :/

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Your Computer posted:

What is even Turtle Beach? The message is just a string of buzzwords with literally no meaning :shepface:

They make XTREME GAMING HEADPHONES.

So yeah, they sell buzzwords by the pound.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

What they really need to do is have more E-SPORTS commentary like they did with Super Metroid last year.

You don't even need that, you just need to plan for someone to talk about the run even if it's not the runner. You could have a rotating team of moderators talking with people who run the game when the runner doesn't want to talk. But really, the solution is to just work to avoid dead air and let the runner decide how they want to handle it.

GDQ is a big complicated event and every year brings a different set of challenges. They fix things and then the next time there's new problems, sometimes caused by the solutions. This year they seem to have reacted to a lot of the bad behavior by clamping down hard at the cost of the energy and spontaneity.

theultimo posted:

Too many sponsors are turning the previously silly, fun ride into esports . Maybe for SGDQ they should, you know, play for fun :/

That's not going to happen. If there's one thing that's certain, it's that playing games fast is serious business.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

theultimo posted:

Paging DoctorWhat.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Garfu posted:

I liked it better when you could see the whole room cheering and clapping and whatnot behind the runner. I think part of the reason it seems more professional or less hype is because there are less people behind the runner.

I'm sure the idea was to try and give the feel of past years where it really was an intimate event literally taking place in a single room. But it's just failing because the people sitting in the back are just watching instead of being a sort of extended couch. Hell even the couch is silent of useless in like half of these runs.

Wadjamaloo posted:

They did say they wanted to make agdq more serious and have sgdq be wacky fun times.

gently caress that noise. None of this is serious.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You don't even need to be a speedrunner to go flying off the track in F-Zero X. Game gets so insanely fast some tracks almost can't handle it, it's the best.

Also I'm glad to see my teenage top choice of Blood Falcon being validated.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Exploding across the finish line is the way to go.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Crain posted:

gently caress that noise. None of this is serious.

I don't know man, last AGDQ raised a million loving dollars. It's not a small-time fundraiser anymore. I think they're sort of obligated to reach a certain level of decorum and professionalism if they want to keep handling that kind of cash.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
"Save the animals, kill the F-Zero racers"

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
I know the graphics are pretty simplistic but I think F-Zero X is a great example of how great games can look at 60 fps.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
The professionalism is not why these F-Zero runs are boring, hth

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Hakkesshu posted:

You don't even need to be a speedrunner to go flying off the track in F-Zero X. Game gets so insanely fast some tracks almost can't handle it, it's the best.

It's not about the flying, it's about the landing. :smug:

There's PJ later tonight, calm your horses and watch Double Dragon and Battleblocks. Also holy poo poo a massive block of PC shooters. Last year we got some fun stuff out of those.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

This run is really good so far, the kind of stuff I usually expect from F-Zero games. Informative and cool.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

homphgomph posted:

I know the graphics are pretty simplistic but I think F-Zero X is a great example of how great games can look at 60 fps.

Yeah, I always respected that game for just saying gently caress it and going for the most important thing.

I forgot you spend health to boost. The Dark Souls of racing games.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

"Last year, CGN donated for me to do a very difficult trick..." CGN's just teasing him with the fact that he's the greatest F-Zero player on the planet, isn't he

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

ImPureAwesome posted:

I liked sonic heroes
A sentence that has never been said before.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

Voted Worst Mom posted:

The professionalism is not why these F-Zero runs are boring, hth

There is nothing boring about the current F-Zero run.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I love how some tracks in the 3D F-Zeros are run on the principle of "gently caress your track I can FLY".

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Garfu posted:

Some portion of the layout used for a webcam of the audience would be great (with alternate layouts that don't include that when the room is pretty empty of course). I understand why the couch area is set up as it is, but some acknowledgement of the crowd beyond the applause leaking in would be nice. Edit: I don't want to sound harsh on the layout though because it is already a massive improvement from years past.

Separately, wasn't there some music during setup times at SGDQ? I know that might get VODs muted but it would be nice to have something besides dead silence; this is also when a low volume feed of room noise would help the feel of the stream.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

I don't know man, last AGDQ raised a million loving dollars. It's not a small-time fundraiser anymore. I think they're sort of obligated to reach a certain level of decorum and professionalism if they want to keep handling that kind of cash.

The planning and set up needs to be professionally done, the content needs to be entertaining though. I agree that they've reached the point where the event cannot be run in the same informal fashion it has traditionally be run in. The problem is they've chosen the wrong areas to try and force that professionalism on. This isn't a 7th grade talent show where everything needs to be rigidly structured and controlled to avoid someone making GBS threads their pants or biting someone (all jokes about autists aside). Most of these people have proven that they can be fun, funny, and engaging. Trying to lock what they can do just ruins the entertainment value, which ruins your potential revenue.

parasyte posted:

Separately, wasn't there some music during setup times at SGDQ? I know that might get VODs muted but it would be nice to have something besides dead silence; this is also when a low volume feed of room noise would help the feel of the stream.

Yeah, there is far too much dead air. The current structure actually feels less competent than past years.

Crain fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 5, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

RyokoTK posted:

What if the fun spontaneity is what helped it raise so much money?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, the contrast between the music and the donation readouts are almost worse now than during Banjo Kazooie.

"Lost my mom to cancer this week" *sickrad guitar riff*

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Dominic White posted:

Yeah. It seems that almost every bit of endearing silliness (costumes, goofing off, plushies cycled on a regular basis, the sassy monitor) has been replaced with dead air or awkwardly read Messages From Our Sponsors.

Edit: They mute the setup phases too, even when the commentator isn't saying anything. I liked being able to hear what's going on.

i know it's a common thing every year where someone goes 'this seems less hype than before' but it really does feel more clinical this time around. if there's good points it's always in spite of the poo poo surrounding it and for the most part it's been carried by entertaining people occasionally more than anything else

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

evilalien posted:

There is nothing boring about the current F-Zero run.

*does the same trick in every track 3 times in a row*

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
gently caress that finish was too close.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Geight posted:

What if the fun spontaneity is what helped it raise so much money?

I know some of my favorite bits are the awful block, I'm hoping they haven't killed the off-color feel. I mean, we had people donating to stop playing a game, I don't see that with the xtreeme gaming oatmeal feel to the feed.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Voted Worst Mom posted:

The current run is fine. But it's suffering from the format they seem to be using this year.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Hakkesshu posted:

F-Zero X is the coolest loving game

I've spent this entire run looking at the screen a little terrified. Poor physics.

Your Computer posted:

Man, the contrast between the music and the donation readouts are almost worse now than during Banjo Kazooie.

"Lost my mom to cancer this week" *sickrad guitar riff*

Careful, you're going to get called A Bad Person soon!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
The problem with the F-Zero block is mostly being time attack runs. The one everyone remembers fondly was GX story mode, which is stupid hard and has objectives other than "be fast".

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

i know it's a common thing every year where someone goes 'this seems less hype than before' but it really does feel more clinical this time around. if there's good points it's always in spite of the poo poo surrounding it and for the most part it's been carried by entertaining people occasionally more than anything else

It feels the same it's always felt - there are good runs, bad runs, boring people and exciting people. We just got some kinda boring people front-loaded.

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Synastren posted:

Careful, you're going to get called A Bad Person soon!

Quick time to go on a tangent about how the donation stories are fake again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Voted Worst Mom posted:

To be fair, "the same trick" is loving flying in a game that's known to mark you dead if you try to shortcut.

• Locked thread