Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The logical step would be introduction of viticulture. "Why are my merlot grapes not growing on my embark, the soil pH seems ok? Also my legendary weaponsmith is throwing a tantrum because all the fort has in stock right now is a 128 Dornfelder, and he insists it's a terrible vintage."

"You should definitely try out this 0 Boatmurdered, it has an excellent stony taste. But not the 30, that one is awful."

To which the dwarf responds :iit:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

TildeATH posted:

I hope trees fall on both of you.

As long as it's a biome-appropriate tree.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Has there ever been some explanation of why salt is Not A Thing in DF? From time to time I wonder about it. Not that I've ever found any rock salt or embarked on a shore. Please don't force me to forbid casks of hooch for aging. Keeping up with the demands of a hundred alcoholics is sufficiently challenging as is.

I finally abandoned my previous fortress (persistent framerate of 2 despite much cheating) and am reclaiming a pre-gen for the first time. Are the layouts of all the game-generated ruins so drat weird?

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Trying to convince someone I know to use DFHack, if only for the military fixes.

Me:words:
Him:spergin:

:spergin: It's doing things toady didn't program

:words: no it's fixing things toady programmed incorrectly. Remember, toady technically programmed Danger rooms into the game and those are cheating more than "AI properly equips armor"

:spergin: It's not about cheating or morality I just wanna play the game as is

This is just the condensed version. I don't get it man, I just don't get it. Apparently DFHack is the devil because it touches memory or something? And it's not like he plays completely untouched, he uses a tileset + therapist, so he can't even make that argument.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Does he refuse to use the Therapist as well

E: Should learn to read

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Gibbo posted:

Trying to convince someone I know to use DFHack, if only for the military fixes.

Me:words:
Him:spergin:

:spergin: It's doing things toady didn't program

:words: no it's fixing things toady programmed incorrectly. Remember, toady technically programmed Danger rooms into the game and those are cheating more than "AI properly equips armor"

:spergin: It's not about cheating or morality I just wanna play the game as is

This is just the condensed version. I don't get it man, I just don't get it. Apparently DFHack is the devil because it touches memory or something? And it's not like he plays completely untouched, he uses a tileset + therapist, so he can't even make that argument.

It's about ethics in game journalism modification.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I don't play with DFHack. :shrug:

I'll usually start using some sort of DFTherapist if my fortress grows beyond 30 dorfs (a surprising number of them don't - I like building exploratory outpost more than bustling cities), but that's about it.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

DFhack is the tits, everyone and their children should use it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I use dfhack to enable nopause so I can realize my dream of automated fortresses. I just check in once a year when the liaison rolls around since he defies Nopause. :argh:

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I don't use DFhack because if I have the tools to cheat available, I will inevitably abuse them.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I use it for workflow, on-demand quicksaves, and killing the process when things go tits up.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I use it to make my dwarves zap around the map and conjure water and magma out of thin air because I am shameless and on the rare occasion I do actually play this game, I've already had enough of waiting for mundane poo poo to happen. Ain't nobody got time for that.

e: Also in Scamtank's honor I think I'm gonna mod banana trees to grow in polar climates.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thread slows down over the holidays, oh well that seems normal. 35 new posts in one day, oh gee there must have been an update!

Nope, just spergin about trees. Never change, dorfgoons. :sun:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I started using dfhack last week, seduced by the promise of getting rid of the thousand stray bolts littering my map. DigFlood is the best thing though.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Nietzschean posted:

Thread slows down over the holidays, oh well that seems normal. 35 new posts in one day, oh gee there must have been an update!

Nope, just spergin about trees. Never change, dorfgoons. :sun:

Tree posts are good and interesting, and tree-knowers should be admired

Evil Sheep
Jan 28, 2009
I'd rather Toady spend his time making new content updates rather than researching easily moddable trees. Imagine .40 finally coming out and it's just .34 with hundreds of carefully researched and scientifically accurate RAWs.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I use DFhack to automate assigning dwarves to things so that my micro management is as minimal as possible, if only militaries were that easy. :sigh:

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Sheep posted:

I'd rather Toady spend his time making new content updates rather than researching easily moddable trees. Imagine .40 finally coming out and it's just .34 with hundreds of carefully researched and scientifically accurate RAWs.

This would unironically satisfy a significant number of DF players.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Toady has previously crowdsourced the material properties of various things and people are always getting credited when he fixes typos so if you correct all the trees and send them along they might get incorporated.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I've been a bit out of the loop. Toady's adding in taverns that we can run in Fortress mode as a way to earn extra resources? That sounds pretty awesome. I'd be down for making a one dwarf embark and seeing how well I could manage setting up and running a tavern solo.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Evil Sheep posted:

I'd rather Toady spend his time making new content updates rather than researching easily moddable trees.

gently caress you, get your priorities straight or a tree might fall on you, too.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Who cares about trees so much?

Elves, that's who.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Moridin920 posted:

Who cares about trees so much?

Elves, that's who.

I dont know man, You can sometimes make Alki Hall outta some of the fruits.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Anyone who is more familiar with plant modding know why this tree always shows up as brown on the map;

quote:

[PLANT:HOLLOW_HOOK]
[NAME:hollow hook][NAME_PLURAL:hollow hooks][ADJ:hollow hook]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:STRUCTURAL:STRUCTURAL_PLANT_TEMPLATE]
[BASIC_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:STRUCTURAL]
[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:WOOD:WOOD_TEMPLATE]
[STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:hollow hook]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL_SOLID:hollow hook]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL_SOLID:PURPLE]
[PREFIX:NONE]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:5:0:1]
[TREE:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:WOOD][TREE_TILE:173]
[TRUNK_PERIOD:15]
[HEAVY_BRANCH_DENSITY:10]
[BRANCH_DENSITY:25]
[MAX_TRUNK_HEIGHT:7]
[HEAVY_BRANCH_RADIUS:3]
[BRANCH_RADIUS:5]
[TRUNK_BRANCHING:0]
[MAX_TRUNK_DIAMETER:0]
[TRUNK_WIDTH_PERIOD:200]
[ROOT_DENSITY:5]
[ROOT_RADIUS:3]
[TREE_COLOR:5:0:1]
[DEAD_TREE_COLOR:0:0:1]
[PREFSTRING:emptiness]
[PREFSTRING:hooked branches]
[SAPLING]
[DRY][EVIL]
[BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
[BIOME:ANY_SHRUBLAND]
[BIOME:ANY_GRASSLAND]
[SOLID_DENSITY:50]

I'm not sure why it wouldn't show up as purple. I compared its token to that of standard trees and everything seems to be fine but I must be missing something.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

You missed a [DISPLAY_COLOR:5:0:1] from under the STRUCTURAL material template. I'm cross-referencing that to the vanilla glumprongs and that's the only thing I can find amiss.

Oh, and you want SOLID_DENSITY under the WOOD material template, too.

scamtank fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 3, 2015

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Hey, a log!

Toady One posted:

The last few days:

Stopped crash from moving/centering squad menu going out of bounds
Fixed crash involving squads and minimap
Stopped dwarves from stressing out over the same wound forever
Capped various combat skill gains per action (Urist Da Vinci)
Stopped "fighting" skill from increasing from trap/projectile attacks
Made removal of trees check building/bridge/machine stability
Stopped mood jobs from going outside burrows
Made t/q building selector respect stockpile shapes when looking for closest one
Fixed key display issue in bindings screen (lethosor)
Made geld indicator appear for pets on animal screen properly

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

scamtank posted:

Hey, a log!
Stopped "fighting" skill from increasing from trap/projectile attacks

Uh oh, is that going to mess up danger rooms? Dodging/blocking will still work right?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Last time I played this the lazy newb pack was a thing, is it still an up to date thing?

I can't deal without my tiles.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Last time I played this the lazy newb pack was a thing, is it still an up to date thing?

I can't deal without my tiles.

It's called the Starter Pack now. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Up to date being a slightly relative term due to Toady spitting out new versions every week. I certainly don't blame them for lagging behind.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Warbird posted:

Up to date being a slightly relative term due to Toady spitting out new versions every week. I certainly don't blame them for lagging behind.

Doesn't help that it was the holiday season, either. We should at least catch up to the current release soon, I know the OSX side of things is basically done and Windows is close.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

scamtank posted:

Hey, a log!
Stopped mood jobs from going outside burrows

Does this mean no more artifacts with descriptions that fill the screen? I seem to remember you could assign a dwarf to a burrow on a workshop and he would continue collecting mats from outside forever or something, until you removed the burrow.

Edit: Or was it assign him to a burrow not including the workshop?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Oh man, that's a nice list of changes there.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

But wait, there's more!!!

Toady One posted:

I fixed a problem today which sometimes caused dwarves not to fight monsters/invaders, especially if there were lots of other dwarves in line-of-sight. I also stopped necromancers from oftentimes attacking (and usually being killed by) their zombies -- they were doing it for multiple reasons, and I patched up the ones I could find. Fixed a display problem with agreement conclusion dates in the adventure log.

Can't say I've run into any of those issues, but I trust there's plenty of teeth-gnashing in the bug tracker. Good on him I guess!

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
drat! I giggled last night when a raiding necromancer was killed by a bro-necromancer's rampaging zombie-horse (killed by invaders just a month prior). That horse got a name! I wish the incompetent necromancy bug had stuck.

(The horse was a million times tougher as an undead than the skeleton of a mountain titan, which was crushed by a novice wrassler.)

This reclamation game has been brutal on my population, but the migrant waves have been surprisingly steady. I've had three goblin invasions, four or five necromancer raids, a forgotten beast (I believe it was the one which claimed the fort as its due during world gen), and a mountain titan swift. The forgotten beast was made of water and shot webs; it was surprisingly brutal. And for some reason my militiadorfs aren't putting on armor, so those fools were naturally selected right out of the game. The mountain titan (first time I've had one) was actually slain in short order by the goblin besiegers.

Has anyone ever had a goblin civilization sue for peace/quit invading forever? I recall that there used to be something about how if you killed some general of an invading army then you wouldn't be invaded anymore.

(Also I'm feeling pretty resentful that the goblins are all such proficient swimmers now that they experience no trouble firing bows and crossbows while in a 7/7 water square above another 7/7 water square. This moat has to be magma-ized.)

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002

RedTonic posted:

This moat has to be magma-ized

Spoken like a true Dwarf!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If you kill the general/leader that usually eventually comes, I think they don't get mounts anymore (in the last version anyway idk about 40.xx), but they still invade if you kill/capture the leader.

I've had games where a gob civ started out peaced and then attacked but never one where goblins eventually sued for peace.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!

scamtank posted:

But wait, there's more!!!

Can't say I've run into any of those issues, but I trust there's plenty of teeth-gnashing in the bug tracker. Good on him I guess!

Oh drat that's good, about half of the fortresses that I've started in the last few months have had this problem. It turned kill-rooms weird, with militia dwarves doing nothing but standing, blocking and dodging in place while invaders go nuts all around them.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yay! The Starter Pack has been updated!

Edit: Seems broken to me, though.

Sub Rosa fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

If you kill the general/leader that usually eventually comes, I think they don't get mounts anymore (in the last version anyway idk about 40.xx), but they still invade if you kill/capture the leader.

I've had games where a gob civ started out peaced and then attacked but never one where goblins eventually sued for peace.

I don't think I've had a goblin peace scenario yet. This current dwarven civ is apparently at peace with the kobolds, but the import/export still shows annoyance/death. Seems a little sad. I'd like to trade with some kobolds.

Does anyone else have wagons regularly wrecking because the caravan decides to drive through 7/7 water tiles?