Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

less loving terrible than a bus, for only double the cost of a bus!

(and losing money, because their $3 flat fare is just an introductory offer)

i still love that all of these ~disuptive bus~ startups involve extensively preplanning and reserving seats, unlike a normal bus where you just get on whenever.

remember leap transit?
http://www.thetransitwire.com/2013/05/31/san-francisco-start-up-offers-private-shuttle-along-muni-route/

remember how it closed a few months later, and their website still claims they'll be back in 2014?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

less loving terrible than a regular bus, for only double the cost of a regular bus!

(and losing money, because their $3 flat fare is just an introductory offer)

okay, i am no longer enticed by this idea

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

i still love that all of these ~disuptive bus~ startups involve extensively preplanning and reserving seats, unlike a normal bus where you just get on whenever.

remember leap transit?
http://www.thetransitwire.com/2013/05/31/san-francisco-start-up-offers-private-shuttle-along-muni-route/

remember how it closed a few months later, and their website still claims they'll be back in 2014?

i don't have a problem with private bus lines on the face of it. there's nothing wrong with a private operator securing the necessary licenses and paying the city for the use of bus stops. they're not bad people, just really fuckin dumb.

a lot of today's public bus lines were originally privately owned/operated bus and train lines. you'll notice all those private operators are gone. because it's not profitable. ever.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
i take a shuttle bus to logan that's only about $35 round trip and it avoids having to rely on mbta

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

itt people seriously argue that it's better to allow people who are totally incapable of operating a motor vehicle safely to continue driving because they might find it inconvenient to sit in an office for a couple of hours one day in ten years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqP3Bk_cX-4

i'm sure making licensed drivers who previously passed drivers tests take them again will sure do a lot to filter out lovely drivers

the tests themselves are lovely, and they check for knowledge of road rules that americans only follow when they think a cop or driving instructor can see them

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Necc0 posted:

i failed the written test the first time i took it. the question that got me was: when are you allowed to make a left turn on red?

a ) bullshit
b ) bullshit
c ) when you're going from a one way road and to a one way road
d ) when there is a sign permitting you to do so

d was the wrong answer :mad:

no what got you were the other 10 questions you missed like "what sign does this octagonal silhouette represent"

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

road intersections are a terrible, unnecessary hazard.

Mido posted:

oh good it's hp hovercraft's nightmare: intersection chat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rjmccall posted:

dmv questions come in four kinds:

poorly-worded questions with multiple answers
ridiculously precise questions about mandatory signaling/following distances
questions with obvious right answers that are impossible to obey in reality because of other drivers
questions about rules that change between states, like whether you can turn left on red between one-way streets

The Ontario MOT also includes a variety of "legal penalties for specific illegal actions" questions because it's not enough to know that you can't pass a stopped school bus, you have to know exactly how many points you'll get on your license and how much you'll get fined when you do

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

no what got you were the other 10 questions you missed like "what sign does this octagonal silhouette represent"

Stop. :colbert:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

NC required you to be able to identify signs when you applied to convert your out of state license to an in state one. Not multiple choice either, instead it was integrated into one of those eye checking machines.

Still a bit annoyed that my answer of "pedestrian crossing" wasn't good enough for the "school crossing" sign. I wanted my perfect score dammit.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Nintendo Kid posted:

remember leap transit?

another company is trying to do the same thing on the same route [marina to downtown] but I don't remember the name

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

NC required you to be able to identify signs when you applied to convert your out of state license to an in state one. Not multiple choice either, instead it was integrated into one of those eye checking machines.

Still a bit annoyed that my answer of "pedestrian crossing" wasn't good enough for the "school crossing" sign. I wanted my perfect score dammit.

lol

when i converted my out of state license to a MA license all they required was that i take the eye check and pay them one hundred fifteen us dollars

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qirex posted:

another company is trying to do the same thing on the same route [marina to downtown] but I don't remember the name

is it chariot? http://techcrunch.com/2014/11/10/chariot/

cuz apparently theres multiple

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i was legitimately surprised that the Bridj website lists "Driver" as an open position for hire, rather than a separate site inviting you to Be Your Own Boss as an independent contractor

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
in other bay area/train news, they're breaking ground on the nation's first high speed rail line tomorrow in fresno

merced to san fernando

can't wait

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

The Ontario MOT also includes a variety of "legal penalties for specific illegal actions" questions because it's not enough to know that you can't pass a stopped school bus, you have to know exactly how many points you'll get on your license and how much you'll get fined when you do

i've seen questions about how serious various infractions are, but never down to specific point values :wtf:

ah, cal dmv has a sample test online

4. If you drive faster than other vehicles on a road with one lane in each direction and continually pass the other cars, you will:
  • Get you to your destination much faster and safer.
  • Increase your chances of an accident.
  • Help prevent traffic congestion.

hmm

6. You are driving on a one-way street. You may turn left onto another one-way street only if:
  • A sign permits the turn.
  • Traffic on the street moves to the right.
  • Traffic on the street moves to the left.

hmm

5. Which of these vehicles must always stop before crossing railroad tracks?
  • Tank trucks marked with hazardous materials placards.
  • Motor homes or pickup trucks towing a boat trailer.
  • Any vehicle with 3 or more axles or weighing more than 4,000 pounds.

what

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in other bay area/train news, they're breaking ground on the nation's first high speed rail line tomorrow in fresno

merced to san fernando

can't wait

so how much of that grey area is actually going to get built

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

this was most definitely the worst, agreed.

when i moved to washington i turned my g2 into a full license super easily. during the driving test i didn't even make a left turn and was able to decline the super retarded, 'simulate backing out of a driveway by reversing around a corner' manoevre on safety grounds.

also my 102 year old great uncle still drives around to the legion and various agricultural vehicle auctions and probably hasn't been tested once in his life. he's a fuckin boss.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

computer parts posted:

so how much of that grey area is actually going to get built

all, just that the scope of building will extend to 2112

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nintendo Kid posted:

all, just that the scope of building will extend to 2112

:rock:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

posting on the sexiest page.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

As a Millennial I posted:

posting on the sexiest page.

well, now it is :wink:

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

rjmccall posted:

6. You are driving on a one-way street. You may turn left onto another one-way street only if:
  • A sign permits the turn.
  • Traffic on the street moves to the right.
  • Traffic on the street moves to the left.

hmm

IT'S A TRICK

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
traffic on the street goes forward, not right or left

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

merced to san fernando

can't wait

san fernando / burbank is at least only a short distance from la. the north end of this is completely useless without further extension

i guess you can transfer to amtrak at merced. or go to yosemite

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

rjmccall posted:

san fernando / burbank is at least only a short distance from la. the north end of this is completely useless without further extension

i guess you can transfer to amtrak at merced. or go to yosemite

well part of the deal is that it'll eventually be able to also host amtrak long distance trains so they'll go faster through the worse parts of california even though they wont' be "bullet train" fast

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
also they're bulldozing a few blocks of sf's chinatown for the north end

lol eat poo poo nimby people

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also they're bulldozing a few blocks of sf's chinatown for the north end

lol eat poo poo nimby people

wait, why

i thought this thing was coming up along an extension of the caltrain line into the new transbay terminal, why would it need anything on the north side of market

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Posting on page 69

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

rjmccall posted:

dmv questions come in four kinds:

poorly-worded questions with multiple answers
ridiculously precise questions about mandatory signaling/following distances
questions with obvious right answers that are impossible to obey in reality because of other drivers
questions about rules that change between states, like whether you can turn left on red between one-way streets

the last are actually important to know, except you also need to know the answer for nearby states you're likely to visit, and that's never on the test

as someone who can drive in two states and a district at any time, i just do what seems like the right thing and assume it's okay. it hasn't gotten me a ticket in va yet, so it must be right!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
the written test in my home province was so hilariously easy (all multiple choice with one obvious answer sandwiched between outrageously illegal answers) and people still failed it with regularity. it was an easy way to spot huge huge retards, especially the people who failed it multiple times.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
and when i converted my newfoundland license to a BC license they asked one question (verbally) which was "what does a blinking green light mean" and I said "i don't know be prepared to stop I guess?" and they said literally "close enough" and gave me my license.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
the chinatown leveling is for the muni line, not the high speed rail I thought?

the same poo poo that's been tearing up stockton for the last year and change. it turns out those machines can't go backwards so they had to punch out the otherside of the hill, leveling most of chinatown in the process and allowing high rise condo/lofts to be built.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beast of Bourbon posted:

it turns out those machines can't go backwards so they had to punch out the otherside of the hill, leveling most of chinatown in the process and allowing high rise condo/lofts to be built.
huh. what a funny coincidence.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
A neat chinese shopping complex on the outskirts of London got bought out and demolished by a scumbag property developer (but i repeat myself) a few years ago :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oriental_City

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

huh. what a funny coincidence.

i know right? so curious that all that land was bought up before the plan was announced! just weird how the world works sometimes, but it's all for the best. chinatown always needed a whole foods!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triple sulk posted:

Posting on page 69

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Beast of Bourbon posted:

i know right? so curious that all that land was bought up before the plan was announced! just weird how the world works sometimes, but it's all for the best. chinatown always needed a whole foods!

literally the plot to la noire

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

millenials amirite

Over the weekend, the young Facebook founder announced that this year he would read a new book every other week. Zuckerberg, whose audacious resolution last year was to learn Mandarin, settled on this new goal after soliciting suggestions from his millions of Facebook followers. On his Facebook page, Zuckerberg created a Facebook group and urged his followers to join his pseudo-book club, which had amassed 137,486 Likes and counting by Monday morning.

“I’ve found reading books very intellectually fulfilling,” Zuckerberg wrote. “Books allow you to fully explore a topic and immerse yourself in a deeper way than most media today. I’m looking forward to shifting more of my media diet towards reading books.”

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

books are a marvel of the technological age IMO. they require no power, and all you have to do to gain access to all the data inside is simply gain physical access to the device

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
uh... books definitely require power to change the text + light the screen.

• Locked thread