Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Nethilia posted:

*Click, read main page*

Fairy type and Mega Evolutions will not be implemented. This is a final decision, and will not be changed.

Thank you for your time. *x-out*

I really wish they'd put in fairies. Megas I'm not to worried about, but the new type is awesome. Poison is actually effective! :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I really wish they'd put in fairies. Megas I'm not to worried about, but the new type is awesome. Poison is actually effective! :allears:

Adding a new type would mean either retyping a ton of pokemon or designing new ones and the pokedex is already too long as it is.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Picked up OR recently, and what hidden functions does the DexNav have? I noticed that Pokemon I search for can have egg moves and a hidden ability for one. (Hello Quick Feet Bullet Seed Shroomish. :allears:) What does potential mean?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Dr. Fetus posted:

Picked up OR recently, and what hidden functions does the DexNav have? I noticed that Pokemon I search for can have egg moves and a hidden ability for one. (Hello Quick Feet Bullet Seed Shroomish. :allears:) What does potential mean?

The number of stars is the number of perfect IVs it has, I believe.

Edit: Actually it's possible to have more than 3 perfect IVs, just the max number of stars is 3.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Man I wish I'd found a Shroomish with Bullet Seed, the first physical grass move Breloom gets is Seed Bomb at level 44. It's ridiculous.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

pik_d posted:

Edit: Actually it's possible to have more than 3 perfect IVs, just the max number of stars is 3.

Oh that's neat. Too bad there's probably nothing like that for legendaries. :v:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Legendaries all have 3 guaranteed perfect IVs and a set move list so I don't know what it could tell you that you don't already know.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

This is exactly what I was after. Thanks, pokebro! :hfive:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

DexNav'ing some dittos on the Ditto mirage island, spot one with at least a three star potential, start walking over

Random battle

I had run out of repels without noticing :smith:

Buh
May 17, 2008

I'm the Smeargle base dude and this is the second time someone's beaten me to recommending my own base. Glad to see they're getting use.

I'm thinking of making a couple more but had trouble deciding which three/six moves would be most useful. Thoughts?

Soak, Sticky Web and Geomancy are high on my list already.

Also if anyone can get me a Smeargle with Hyperspace Fury I'd be enormously grateful.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Buh posted:

I'm the Smeargle base dude and this is the second time someone's beaten me to recommending my own base :aww:

I'm thinking of making a couple more but had trouble deciding which three/six moves would be most useful. Thoughts?

Also if anyone can get me a Smeargle with Hyperspace Fury I'd be enormously grateful.

I have a Smeargle with Simple Beam, I think it's pretty useful for catching. I use it even when I'm trying to catch something with Pressure, which is just annoying. But there are also the abilities that keep them from sleeping or whatever

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Is there a somewhere that will tell me what in pokemon y, and possibly at what level, will evolve WITHOUT pictures?

I've never played any pokemon and I much prefer the idea of my team changing as I play :3:
Keep getting trade request but pretty sure people just want to show me they're level 100 whoever lol

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

pik_d posted:

Yeah, it will have at least as many perfect IVs as there are stars. So you can see 2 stars and get 3 IVs, or 3 stars and get 5 IVs or whatever.

Buh
May 17, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Is there a somewhere that will tell me what in pokemon y, and possibly at what level, will evolve WITHOUT pictures?

Here's a list with nothing but names. It tells you what does and doesn't evolve, but not how.

Here's a list of how stuff evolves, with tiny pictures. I don't think no pictures at all is an option, though you could press esc to stop them loading if your connection's slow enough.

Buh fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 6, 2015

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

You could just ask us, as well. We're not THAT mean...usually.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Buh posted:

I'm the Smeargle base dude and this is the second time someone's beaten me to recommending my own base. Glad to see they're getting use.

Pay Day is a hassle to get and is kinda useful if you have a money farming smeargle setup.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 6, 2015

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Turns out the issue I was having with the GTS was just that one Zigzagoon. I've traded multiple other pokemon successfully. The mind boggles.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Buh posted:

Here's a list with nothing but names. It tells you what does and doesn't evolve, but not how.

Here's a list of how stuff evolves, with tiny pictures. I don't think no pictures at all is an option, though you could press esc to stop them loading if your connection's slow enough.

The picture one actually is fantastic. Thank you I'm I a team pretty much strictly on looks and a touch of different elements for my first time ever playing
Bonus points collecting bad rear end creatures that evolve 3 time

Don't even want to admit how long I've been farming to get the female honey comb pokemon just because it's rare to get I'm still in zone Like 5 out leveling things by 6 plus levels.
I capture new ones and change them in just so I don't get past 20 already when everything else is like 8 to 10

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tiny Chalupa posted:

The picture one actually is fantastic. Thank you I'm I a team pretty much strictly on looks and a touch of different elements for my first time ever playing
Bonus points collecting bad rear end creatures that evolve 3 time

Don't even want to admit how long I've been farming to get the female honey comb pokemon just because it's rare to get I'm still in zone Like 5 out leveling things by 6 plus levels.
I capture new ones and change them in just so I don't get past 20 already when everything else is like 8 to 10

Yikes. Try and find a male with Cute Charm. If you have a Pokemon with Cute Charm at the front of your party, you'll increase the odds of encountering Pokemon of the opposite gender. It even works if the Poke is fainted!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm making a super single team.
Metagross with metagrossite
Meteor mash
Thunder punch
Earthquake
Brick Break

Gliscor poison heal
Toxic orb
Earthquake
Fling
Knock off
Acrobatics

Greninja protean
Life orb
Scald
Ice beam
Grass knot
Extrasensory

Any advice on how to tweak the team? I keep losing around 40.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

RC Cola posted:

Greninja protean
Life orb
Scald
Ice beam
Grass knot
Extrasensory

As the super godmaster of Greninja in Super Singles, replace Extrasensory with Dark Pulse. It's a very useful move for its 20% flinch chance. Surf over Scald because you need to eke out damage, not burn.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

As the super godmaster of Greninja in Super Singles, replace Extrasensory with Dark Pulse. It's a very useful move for its 20% flinch chance. Surf over Scald because you need to eke out damage, not burn.

Should I put zen headbutt back on metagross over brick break then?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

RC Cola posted:

Should I put zen headbutt back on metagross over brick break then?

I'm having difficulty thinking of something that Brick Break would OHKO that Earthquake or one of the other moves would not, and all I can think of is stuff with Air Ballon. So Yes.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is there a good Pokemon app for the phone that has IVs.calc, routes and stuff like that.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

PSWII60 posted:

I'm having difficulty thinking of something that Brick Break would OHKO that Earthquake or one of the other moves would not, and all I can think of is stuff with Air Ballon. So Yes.

Ferrothorn is the big one. Even just a 252/0 Ferrothorn is 4HKOed by Earthquake and 2HKOed by Brick Break. Max defense Ferrothorn with Leftovers isn't even 5HKOed by Earthquake. Ferrothorn actually completely walls this team so something to deal with it is a good idea. Hammer Arm is an alternative to always 2HKO (more defensive sets are 3HKOed by Brick Break) but the imperfect accuracy and speed drop can be a problem in the Maison.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

I got a shiny Ponyta and Growlithe through dexnav chaining. The Ponyta only took a chain of around 200 but the Growlithe was more like 600. Thankfully putting your 3DS to sleep doesn't break the chain so you can just do 50 chains here or there while you're waiting on something. If you run out of PP just teach one of your mans a new move with a TM.

I also just randomly found a shiny Wailmer without the shiny charm or chaining, I think the base odds are higher this gen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoahiJMkO4A

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I have almost beaten the game and I've decided that the first Pokemon I want to breed is the following Bisharp.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Protect

You'll want to run 252 Atk, 252 Speed to outrun bulkier pokemon with base speeds in the 80s like rotom and cresselia. If you're playing doubles, life orb can be useful for extra damage, but focus sash is a bit better since it will usually mean you get a whole 'nother turn to sucker punch something if you get hit with a supereffective or strong neutral attack. If this is for singles, then I guess use the life orb, but you definitely want 252 speed regardless of format.

Also if you're playing at level 50 (since this is on a cart after all) you generally want to EV things in increments of 8, starting with 4, ie. 4, 12, 20, 28, 36, 44 due to how stats are the stats are rounded.

quote:

In order to get that I need to do the following;

1. Find a pokemon with Sucker Punch
2. Trade for a FEMALE Bisharp
3. Breed the Bisharp with the Sucker Punch pokemon
4. Find/Trade an adamant Ditto
5. Breed the Ditto with the Sucker Punch Bisharp
6. Breed until I have 6IV
7. Keep doing this until I have ones to trade as well

Am I missing anything? Where do items come in?

Pretty much, assuming you're using a 6IV ditto.

If this is for maison, I would go with iron head over meteor mash since iron head has perfect accuracy, a chance to flinch, and only 10 less power.

Also I'd use ice punch over thunderpunch, since ice/ground has excellent neutral coverage.

Pomplamoose fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jan 6, 2015

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

You'll want to run 252 Atk, 252 Speed to outrun bulkier pokemon with base speeds in the 80s like rotom and cresselia. If you're playing doubles, life orb can be useful for extra damage, but focus sash is a bit better since it will usually mean you get a whole 'nother turn to sucker punch something if you get hit with a supereffective or strong neutral attack. If this is for singles, then I guess use the life orb, but you definitely want 252 speed regardless of format.

I prefer Life Orb in Doubles for stuff like OHKOing Aegislash and just generally hitting harder. Sash is just super weak and makes it a lot harder to pick off weakened fast things like Kangaskhan or Garchomp or what have you. Unfortunately a lot of better players will specifically EV to survive attacks from Life Orb Bisharp on things like Cresselia, Togekiss and Aromatisse but plenty of bad players will just run bad 252/252 sets.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Turtlicious posted:

is there a good Pokemon app for the phone that has IVs.calc, routes and stuff like that.

If anyone is looking for an answer to this, Pokemon is this best I've found it has the reddit maps built in, it has all the typing stuff and locations for EV-hunting hordes. Only thing it's missing really is an IV calculator and I can do that in my head by now.

Buh
May 17, 2008
Would any kind goons be willing to add my latest Smeargle Base and playtest it for me tomorrow?

The first two have Soak and Sticky Web, which will work fine; the third has Memento, and I'm not too sure on the finer details of how you Sketch a suicide move. (Getting it on him in the first place was very contrived, hence my desire to simplify it with my Base).

Does Mr Memento:
Use the move succesfully, thus become Sketch-proof on account of being dead?
Use the move, which fails, allowing it to be Sketched (like Blisseys with Healing Wish?)
Something else?

Thanks goons.

Buh fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 6, 2015

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
What fits well in the last pokemon slot? Doing 4 mon doubles.

Mega Charizard Y
-Fire blast
-Dragon pulse
-Protect
-????

Venusaur, chlorophyll holding life orb
-Solar beam
-Sludge Bomb
-protect
-sleep powder

Dragonite, Multiscale with weakness policy
-Dragon Claw
-Ice punch
-Roost
-Extemespeed

And ??blank??

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

So... how do Secret Bases really work? I'm at the Blissey Base, and the first time I was there I talked to the person in it and instead of choosing that I wanted to Battle, I chose to add it to my favorites. That happened, the trainer avatar inside disappeared, and now there's nothing. Do I need to wait a full 24 hours or something?

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

Nth Doctor posted:

So... how do Secret Bases really work? I'm at the Blissey Base, and the first time I was there I talked to the person in it and instead of choosing that I wanted to Battle, I chose to add it to my favorites. That happened, the trainer avatar inside disappeared, and now there's nothing. Do I need to wait a full 24 hours or something?

They are now in your secret base. After 24 hours you can battle them there.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Unbound posted:

They are now in your secret base. After 24 hours you can battle them there.

Ah, cool. Thanks!

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Nth Doctor posted:

Ah, cool. Thanks!

A neat trick/exploit with that is that if you battle them in their base and add them to yours, you can battle them a second time immediately after.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I was all set up to do that with the blissey bases, and then I ended up training a batch of 18 pokemon up to lv. 50 with less than one full rotation of the meadow/shore. I can't see myself ever needing to train more than 18 pokemon in a single day.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Average Bear posted:

What fits well in the last pokemon slot? Doing 4 mon doubles.

Mega Charizard Y
-Fire blast
-Dragon pulse
-Protect
-????

Venusaur, chlorophyll holding life orb
-Solar beam
-Sludge Bomb
-protect
-sleep powder

Dragonite, Multiscale with weakness policy
-Dragon Claw
-Ice punch
-Roost
-Extemespeed

And ??blank??

Aegislash gets Wide Guard for protecting Charizard from Rock Slides, has an ice resistance, while hitting like twelve trucks and being slow for Trick Room checking. Probopass gets Wide Guard from the move relearner on OR/AS if you have that and want to avoid the stupidly long chain it took before.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Ignite Memories posted:

I was all set up to do that with the blissey bases, and then I ended up training a batch of 18 pokemon up to lv. 50 with less than one full rotation of the meadow/shore. I can't see myself ever needing to train more than 18 pokemon in a single day.

I've been clearing out 12 Blissey bases every day for a week, but, living Pokedex. Once that's done I won't be needing nearly as many.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Can I get a link to these secret base apartment blissey bases?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

I prefer Life Orb in Doubles for stuff like OHKOing Aegislash and just generally hitting harder. Sash is just super weak and makes it a lot harder to pick off weakened fast things like Kangaskhan or Garchomp or what have you. Unfortunately a lot of better players will specifically EV to survive attacks from Life Orb Bisharp on things like Cresselia, Togekiss and Aromatisse but plenty of bad players will just run bad 252/252 sets.

Yeah, I'm not saying life orb is bad or anything, I just prefer sash. Since you know doubles, I figure I'll ask: what are your favorite mega salamence sets right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Yeah, I'm not saying life orb is bad or anything, I just prefer sash. Since you know doubles, I figure I'll ask: what are your favorite mega salamence sets right now?

I was running a DD set before Mega Mence was banned in Smogon Doubles.

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 20 SpD / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Aqua Tail
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance

96 Speed beats neutral base 100s before boosting and everything relevant after a DD and the defensive EVs guarantee surviving a Shuca Heatran HP Ice. I prefer Aqua Tail over Earthquake for hitting Tyranitar and Shuca Heatran harder though you'll want something that can deal with Mawile, Metagross and Aegislash (I used Scarf Landorus-T.) I never really missed protect much.

I think DD is by far the best Salamence set but I can see 3 Attacks + Sub or maybe 3 attacks + Protect as decent enough sets. Fully special Salamence is poo poo, though.

• Locked thread