Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've always called that her "Screamin' Chicken Armor."

See up until I saw that picture I'd have argued with you, I honestly regarded that as one of her best costumes but yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindicator
Jul 23, 2007

SirDan3k posted:

See up until I saw that picture I'd have argued with you, I honestly regarded that as one of her best costumes but yeesh.

I don't know, I think it's mostly the poor sculpt. Her legs are about as long as 90s-era Liefeld pinup drawings, in fact all of her proportions are distorted.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's almost like a rubber action figure isn't the best medium to portray something originally designed for a painting :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A gi is a terrible thing to wear in a fight, has nobody seen a Jackie Chan movie?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Say Nothing posted:

Wonder Woman's Kingdom Come armor.

Remember when they tried to turn Captain Atom into whatever his Kingdom Come version was supposed to look like? It was like some terrible ghost of Christmas future look at the New 52. "Hey you know what this character with a simple but distinctive look really needs? Lines all over him!"

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

McSpanky posted:

Going down this rabbit hole ends up with everyone in gis or sweatpants and tank tops. Or worse, "tactical" black leather and trenchcoats, the scientifically proven most realistic combat uniform ever :jerkbag:

I think going all-practical all the time is pretty silly, but I really can't find it in me to be annoyed when designs for female characters include pants. I'm pretty sure there are more female characters running around without even tights than there are male ones. (like, there's Namor, but ...)

So as far as practical on the level of 'legs are at least covered in some form of fabric' I am a-OK with it. You can keep things ridiculous and flashy and fun that way, or just cool in general, which that WW design doesn't necessarily succeed in. But I don't think saying "hey, this female costume design has pants!" is inherently a bad ... rabbit hole to go down or whatever.

Also a superhero in sweatpants and a tank-top would be pretty funny to me, as a one-off character idea. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is a midpoint between "everyone wearing black leather combat gear" and "Literally 1940s cheesecake design."

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Say Nothing posted:

Wonder Woman's Kingdom Come armor.

Not pictured: Hawkgirl calling her lawyer.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Superman and Batman have fairly similar costumes in terms of look, full-body tights and cape. If Wonder Woman is supposed to stand equal with those two, wouldn't it make sense to update her costume to something similar? No skirts, no boob windows, just full-body tights and cape in her own design.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A skirt is fine, especially on a character who draws on Ancient Greek mythology.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Shouldn't she be wearing some kind of toga then?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A skirt is fine, especially on a character who draws on Ancient Greek mythology.

considering both Batman and Superman have different styles of capes, it could be her "cape." Though it would be kind of weirdly sexist.

Superman and Batman's capes seem to represent them, though. Batman has the full cowl and long cape that can cover him completely, representing his constant need for secrecy. It also has functions, like being bullet/fire proof in some cases, and holding gadgets in others, and then just in general for his stealthyness. It also shows off his frailty as he uses it to make himself look bigger while under it (think of all the shots of him fluffing it out like those frilled lizards when wants to scare a bad guy.)

Superman on the other hand, has a cape he stands in front of, he's not hiding with it, he's there protecting it. You know superman is safe because his cape is. It's completely vestigial, with no use other then making him look stronger, by having it hang off of him.

Making Wonder Woman's cape as a skirt seem kind of like, "LOL it represents he being a girl."

I'd like to see them make it more like the the "skirt" on a Gundam, and just be large armor plates, possibly making the rest of her outfit be more of an armor then a spandex Bikini thing, with boob framing.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

Not sure it's a good look for a warrior on the battlefield.

I really like the hoplite-inspired look, like this:

Basically Xena in primary colours.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Togas are Roman, and were worn exclusively by men.

And prostitutes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Ancient Greeks wore skirts in combat, they actually made fun of the Persians because their soldiers wore pants.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Wouldn't she be more of a Retiarius?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Not sure it's a good look for a warrior on the battlefield.

Basically Xena in primary colours.
What issue is this?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

What issue is this?

It's in Darwyn Cooke's New Frontier miniseries. Not sure which issue, though.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Leave it to Harley Quinn to fully explore the potential of the Boob Window though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The butt window of distraction?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Benny the Snake posted:

What issue is this?

I'm pretty sure it's from Darwin Cooke's New Frontier

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Leave it to Harley Quinn to fully explore the potential of the Boob Window though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Behold! Mike Wieringo's Batgirl!

I'm getting a very Nightwing vibe from it, but the boots actually make me think of the current Batgirl costume.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
God drat, Mike Wieringo was awesome.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That owns so much.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Actually, if you hadn't labelled that, I would have thought it was the original Ms. Marvel.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'd be with you on this except for the fact that the original design is no great shakes to begin with. At least sneakers and spider-culottes and having her hair out are at least choices beyond, "eh gently caress it make it look more like a wetsuit".

Going back to this but a really common design thing for female superhero costumes is cutting off the top of the mask so the hair can stream out and making a mouth hole to show of the (usually lipstick covered) lips.

Which is why MC2 Spider-Girl, and NewOldBatgirl with the Gimp-mask stood out from the crowd. Spider-Woman in Bendisverse had the hair thing but not the mouth hole, until they gave her that awful new costume.

There are a couple of guys with that look (minus possibly lipstick) but mostly older designs and/or Shatterstar (depending on how you view the weird "face armor" he got glued to the face) :v:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Well there's always Batwoman, who looks like she has a hair hole but really just has a very elaborate weave glued on.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Jan 5, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Pimpmust posted:

There are a couple of guys with that look (minus possibly lipstick) but mostly older designs and/or Shatterstar (depending on how you view the weird "face armor" he got glued to the face) :v:
I think that Gambit is king of the topless mask look. His hair hangs out, his face is uncovered, and it even has little slots for his ears to poke out. What is the point of it? I personally think that he has a really pudgy face and he wears it to try and give his cheekbones some definition.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ashcans posted:

I think that Gambit is king of the topless mask look. His hair hangs out, his face is uncovered, and it even has little slots for his ears to poke out. What is the point of it? I personally think that he has a really pudgy face and he wears it to try and give his cheekbones some definition.

Gambit's costume really is a distillation of all things 90s.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

LoonShia posted:

Gambit's costume really is a distillation of all things 90s.

Cyclops had the same sort of thing for a while (with added pouches/straps!) but has since reverted to the full-body condom that defined his look for so long. I can only think that he needs only his face poking out as some kind of safety blanket. And that his hair gets really manky under it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Now that I think about it, the 90s X-men cartoon was (understandably) a gallery of terrible costumes. Gambit's headsleeve, Cyclops was sporting a similar thing along with his lopsided suspender pouch strap, Jean Grey had that unfortunately flesh-toned thing with her own headsleeve and shoulderpads, and those are only the beginning. I assume those were the contemporary costumes, and they didn't just pick out the worst of the previous options.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Don't forget Jubilee and her bright yellow over-sized trench-coat and Storm's full-body reflective aluminum suit.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Those were all awesome costumes :colbert:

X-Men cartoon/Marvel v Capcom X-Men costumes are the best kind of costume, noticeably superhero and colourful yet stylish enough that they work as a whole.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

Don't forget Jubilee and her bright yellow over-sized trench-coat and Storm's full-body reflective aluminum suit.
That trench coat was somehow perfect, though. It is instantly recognizable, still, and it actually works for her.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 5, 2015

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

The crime of Jubliee's costume (is it actually a costume? It reads like a teenage fashion statement and isn't emblemed anywhere) isn't the trenchcoat, it's the rolled-up jean shorts.

Some of the costumes are silly but actually work very well, but I am not joking that Jean's is just terrible. Just a recolor from biege to yellow and removing the weird flaps and stuff would have made a huge difference.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ashcans posted:

The crime of Jubliee's costume (is it actually a costume? It reads like a teenage fashion statement and isn't emblemed anywhere) isn't the trenchcoat, it's the rolled-up jean shorts.
That's exactly what it was, though she might have worn an X belt on occasion.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ashcans posted:

Jim Lee had an obsession with that strange headgear

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Is there an actual term for that style of headgear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I've heard the non-perforated kind mockingly referred to as a head condom, so, broken head condom?

• Locked thread