Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Yessss, bring on the FPSes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Poultron posted:

Even in a redditor's mind what exactly could they be doing? Uhhhhhhhh they told me to take a shower, gently caress... poo poo

I glanced over at /r/speedrun. The only post worth reading is the Schedule/VOD thread and everything else can and should be ignored.

And this:

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Now we can get to Jedi Knight and Quake 2.

loving. Finally.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Old FPS block coming up. So glad I'm not working tonight.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I've never seen a Dark Forces II run, but I sense potential for brokenness here.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

pumpinglemma posted:

The last half of the F-Zero GX run was pretty great (I didn't catch the first half). I think most people are just down on it because four hours of F-Zero is too many, especially given that most of the games aren't as interesting to watch as GX.
Even the GX time attack is not nearly as ridiculous as the story mode run last year.

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

MrBims posted:

Did one of them try to make the couch people say "ethics in videogame journalism" for money and it didn't get read or something? What is their basis?

Apparently banning costumes, signs, dolls and 'grandstanding' (Which is kind of a shame for entirely different reasons) is because the organiser is being Politically Correct and a "SJW nutjob" and is trying to stop Gamers from being Gamers. These are actual things people have said.

Poultron posted:

Even in a redditor's mind what exactly could they be doing? Uhhhhhhhh they told me to take a shower, gently caress... poo poo

Also this.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Dias posted:

I've never seen a Dark Forces II run, but I sense potential for brokenness here.

I watched a run posted on SDA years ago and it was fantastic. I can't wait.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Dias posted:

Oh you have no idea. hahah.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Quake Engine + Force Powers, get ready for some crazy poo poo.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Cerebulon posted:

Redditors angrily and genuinely asserting that "The SJWs" have ruined AGDQ forever is keeping me entertained until the F-Zero is over at least.

Lol what? I mean of course they're whining about GG but, what lame bullshit are they claiming as evidence?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Quake Engine + Force Powers, get ready for some crazy poo poo.

This is Dark Forces 2, not Jedi Academy. It ran on an engine Lucasarts built in-house.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 5, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Crain posted:

Lol what? I mean of course they're whining about GG but, what lame bullshit are they claiming as evidence?

who knows, its reddit

everything is dumb there

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Everybody is dumb everywhere. Please try to enjoy the video games.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
That F-zero run actually got really cool when the last guy took the controller, he had some neato tricks. Also I'm interested to see how long it takes to setup Jedi Knight for stream because just getting the game to run normally takes some effort. :allears:

Seriously if you've never seen this game speedran it's a treat. Once they get force powers, all bets are off.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I can already feel the charisma from this couch :allears:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

GX was fun enough, but gently caress yes FPS block.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like
I can already tell this is going to be fun

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Oh wow I just checked out the /r/speedrun subreddit and it's filled with negativity since people can't dress up, stream shirtless and stuff like that this year. Apparently some really entitled people feel "their" event has been ruined, and it's all about the donation dollars now. Can't really wrap my head around the selfishness of that.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Turns out Dark Forces II is a p cool speedgame.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Thanks for the reddit updates all

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Now this is off to a strong start.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

This is excellent. :allears: Good run, good commentary.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

snodig posted:

Oh wow I just checked out the /r/speedrun subreddit and it's filled with negativity since people can't dress up, stream shirtless and stuff like that this year. Apparently some really entitled people feel "their" event has been ruined, and it's all about the donation dollars now. Can't really wrap my head around the selfishness of that.

I can understand them being upset that some of the silliness is gone, but it's hilariously selfish to claim that a charity event is 'all about the donation dollars'. Isn't it always? Make your own non-charity marathon if it matters that much to you.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, old FPS maps, always huge labyriths for no real reason beyond "Doom did it"

Cerebulon
Mar 29, 2010

Destroyer of Worlds*
(*No worlds were harmed in the making of this title.)

snodig posted:

Yeah this was incredible to me:

Reddit posted:

Why is this speedrunning event not about speedruns, but about money? "If you want to see that, please donate now!" "All donations are welcome", etc.

I can't loving believe they keep asking for donations at this charity event!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Old FPS runs are great. Never stop sliding around like a maniac and blowing up your feet to jump higher.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This charity event is all about the money? Well, yeah.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Yeah this owns.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.

Internet Kraken posted:

Old FPS runs are great. Never stop sliding around like a maniac and blowing up your feet to jump higher.

And just moments later they kill themselves to clip through the ending barrier :allears:

Amazing

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
This owns, old FPS games own. Great run

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Why is a Jedi using a gun

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is already looking like a TAS, jeez :psyduck:

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."
This run owns.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Is there a point where you have to beat up a Rancor with your bare fists or that's just the first game?

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

+20k viewer now that it's not Fzero anymore.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
This run is amazing.

Capital Letdown
Oct 5, 2006
i still cant fix red text avs someone tell me the bbcode for that im an admin and dont know this lmao
It's so nice when they actually explain what's going on, it makes it interesting to watch despite not having much experience with this game!

Even F-Zero GX got better when the bigger dude with long hair switched off the controller and on the couch. He was too focused when playing, but on the couch he gave some decent insight.

I've noticed like, that SpikeVegeta guy is great as a couch, cause the runner will say something about a term or a jump, and SpikeVegeta goes "Why don't you explain what that is for me!"

They don't need tons of help, but a co-host that can kinda push them out of their shell does a ton to make any run more interesting.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The man called M posted:

Why is a Jedi using a gun

Because he realizes that sometimes it might be nice to shoot people far away.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
This run was actually worth slogging through the first day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I miss quicksaves/quickloads. I haven't played a modern game with those intact in ages. :(

• Locked thread