Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

paranoid randroid posted:

She explicitly said she feels that she could have handled the situation better. She's changing the series of decisions that led up to that moment.

And the exchange ends like this:

quote:

GC: BUT TH3N, 1 W4S TH3 ON3 WHO M4D3 TH3 S3R13S OF D3C1S1ONS WH1CH L3D UP TO TH4T CHO1C3, 4ND COMPL3T3LY P41NT3D TH3 OPT1ONS 1NTO TH4T CORN3R
GC: 4NYW4Y
GC: 1 JUST W1SH 1 COULD T3LL H3R TH4T
AG: Which one would you tell it to?
GC: HUH?
AG: The one who fought with Noir, or the one who didn't?

This nod to Vriska and Beta Vriska being two different people hasn't paid off yet, but if things shake out like this:

- Vriska goes off to fight Jack
- John erases trail
- Vriska fights Jack and wins/survives

We could have an alive (formerly beta) Vriska and still keep the Character Development Vriska who's currently holding hands with Meenah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Where were we shown Vriska's sparkle trail? Did it show up in regular pages, or was it during one of Vriska's Flash games?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Unless the updates show Skrillex Hair Vriska blipping out of existence, I'd say you could keep her around as someone for regular-type Vriska to have a serious, backwards chair style, rap session with. The development is retained, and maybe even comes into play.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Where were we shown Vriska's sparkle trail? Did it show up in regular pages, or was it during one of Vriska's Flash games?

It was in the middle of Doc Scratch's narration section. Here's the relevant part where Jack follows the trail: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/scratch.php?s=6&p=005702

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thank you very much.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Flea Wars posted:

I mean does Homestuck as we originally read it not "exist" any more, with the "real" story now happening off screen?

Homestuck as I originally read it didn't have mysterious arms popping out of blue portals or oil splotches in random places. The panels as they exist now do, however. This, to me, is supposed to tell us something about how John's alterations work: they do actually change the way the story "actually went," so yeah, the original story we remember does not "exist," those events did not "really happen" within the narrative. It's just not practical for Hussie to remove or change huge collections of pages to reflect this so he has this password thing. So, if you're a new reader coming on the scene where Terezi reveals that one of her toys got killed before he could testify, you read what happens in her little game afterwards. But once John starts fixing things according to Terezi's plan, you go down the other path, where he steals the toy, and that's what the actual story is.

I don't know if this demonstration with the arms and oil will be as clear to future archival readers as it is to people who'd been caught up when John put his hand in the doodad.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
All these folks talking about Vriska could use Sollux giving them the backwards chair chat.

poo poo, wasn't it even a bit of a plot point that with personal development went stagnant in the dream bubbles when the Beforan trolls were introduces?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Unless the updates show Skrillex Hair Vriska blipping out of existence, I'd say you could keep her around as someone for regular-type Vriska to have a serious, backwards chair style, rap session with. The development is retained, and maybe even comes into play.

Too many Vriskas will spoil the 8roth.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
Wasn't the Universe Frog already dead by this point? I thought Bec Noir had done that during his initial rampage through the trolls' session.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

A good poster posted:

Wasn't the Universe Frog already dead by this point? I thought Bec Noir had done that during his initial rampage through the trolls' session.

It wasn't dead until he killed it during cascade.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A good poster posted:

It was the very last thing he did after destroying all the other planets.

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
I like how all of the continuity time travel changing designed to save everyone is still fine with leaving at least 6 trolls dead forever.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Maybe it's not even a matter of stopping Vriska, just delaying her. If she doesn't show up right away, Jack will destroy the frog, then they can fight until PM gets there, at which point he'll either be killed be the two of them, or take off after the meteor. Everything that happens on the meteor trip can still happen (hell Terezi can still assume Vriska died fighting Jack), but Vriska will turn up in the middle of the events leading up to Game Over and be able to tip the scales... more than stealing the ring already tipped them from the sounds of storytime in Calliope's hideout.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

David Copperfield posted:

I like how all of the continuity time travel changing designed to save everyone is still fine with leaving at least 6 trolls dead forever.

Terezi's idea was subtle changes that wouldn't affect the timeline much until suddenly all the pieces fall in place.

Besides, there's way too many trolls, we can honestly get rid of like 20 of them without losing anything of value.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
At least that's a simple fix. Just grab all the corpses and move them to their quest bed at the appropriate time. "The appropriate time" being when Hussie needs some more of that sweet, sweet hoodie money.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
There seems to be agreement that we will see the unglitched version of the meteor arrival flash, but what are the chances that we will see an unglitched version of [S] Flip? It seems that we could be heading in that direction.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The core thing here is that Terezi wasn't comfortable with changing anyone's decisions other than her own. It wasn't her choices that caused Gamzee to flip out. It wasn't her choices that got spider troll to spear Tavros.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Terezi should keep Vriska from going to fight Jack with copious amounts of pap and shoosh. Problem: solve.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Two Inch Bee posted:

This nod to Vriska and Beta Vriska being two different people hasn't paid off yet, but if things shake out like this:

- Vriska goes off to fight Jack
- John erases trail
- Vriska fights Jack and wins/survives

We could have an alive (formerly beta) Vriska and still keep the Character Development Vriska who's currently holding hands with Meenah.

Oh poo poo, I had completely forgotten about hypothetical Beta-Vriska.

It would make so much sense if the whole purpose of this retconny shenanigans was to remake Beta-Vriska as the new Alpha-Vriska (minus Karkat/Terezi getting murdered). It would fit in so well with Aranea's idea of healing the beta timeline into the alpha. Plus despite all the allusions to her we've never seen Beta-Vriska in any dreambubble.

Though I guess there'd need to be some excuse as to why she wasn't around during the Meteor trip and why Jack Noir would still be alive. Jack escapes and she flies after him along with PM?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
^^^ But hasn't it been said that Dream Bubbles don't really adhere to the same rules as the rest of the universes? I.e if a Doomed Timeline Jade were to show up, but that timeline is corrected and she survives, she doesn't "stop" existing in the Dream Bubbles.

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Maybe it's not even a matter of stopping Vriska, just delaying her. If she doesn't show up right away, Jack will destroy the frog, then they can fight until PM gets there, at which point he'll either be killed be the two of them, or take off after the meteor. Everything that happens on the meteor trip can still happen (hell Terezi can still assume Vriska died fighting Jack), but Vriska will turn up in the middle of the events leading up to Game Over and be able to tip the scales... more than stealing the ring already tipped them from the sounds of storytime in Calliope's hideout.

Well, a few pages later, Doc Scratch mentions that a Seer of Mind would probably know better, and would know where luck isn't even a factor. This could be the whole point. Terezi is flexing her Seer of Mind powers because she knows it doesn't matter how "lucky" Vriska gets, she wouldn't win. And if she does, it still leaves her alone vs Lord English.

Whether that's the overall point or not, I'd be willing to bet that Terezi did specifically factor in how John would gently caress things up. If she wanted him to just go and stop Terezi and then dust away her fairy dust trail that's all she'd have had him do.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think it's safe for John to make fatal changes to the timeline (for example, Vriska killing Bec Noir and preventing him from doing key things like enabling the green sun) without affecting his own existence, just that it would mess up the timeline and presumably he wants to live within time at some point. I still think it'd be possible for John to collect his friends on LOWAS out of time and build their own universe somehow, but probably he'll actually have to defeat Caliborn and reclaim the actual multiverse/timeline.

Actually, it'd be funny if the end goal of Terezi's plan is to produce the best, most developed version of Terezi for John to recruit, then she uses her Seer of Mind powers to have John redo his time-tampering to produce the best versions of all the other characters. LOWAS becomes home to a team of super-versions of the trolls and kids each from a version of the timeline John shaped to maximize their own personal development!

Oh, also, asking whether Terezi allowing Vriska to get killed by Bec Noir so long as John's around to hide the fairy dust trail back to the meteor is still killing her opens up a can of worms. I mean, John's power over the story only seems limited by his control and his imagination, so it'd be his responsibility to stop every death in the comic or else he'd be killing them by inaction too.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Dolash posted:

I think it's safe for John to make fatal changes to the timeline (for example, Vriska killing Bec Noir and preventing him from doing key things like enabling the green sun) without affecting his own existence, just that it would mess up the timeline and presumably he wants to live within time at some point. I still think it'd be possible for John to collect his friends on LOWAS out of time and build their own universe somehow, but probably he'll actually have to defeat Caliborn and reclaim the actual multiverse/timeline.

Actually, it'd be funny if the end goal of Terezi's plan is to produce the best, most developed version of Terezi for John to recruit, then she uses her Seer of Mind powers to have John redo his time-tampering to produce the best versions of all the other characters. LOWAS becomes home to a team of super-versions of the trolls and kids each from a version of the timeline John shaped to maximize their own personal development!

Oh, also, asking whether Terezi allowing Vriska to get killed by Bec Noir so long as John's around to hide the fairy dust trail back to the meteor is still killing her opens up a can of worms. I mean, John's power over the story only seems limited by his control and his imagination, so it'd be his responsibility to stop every death in the comic or else he'd be killing them by inaction too.

I'd be okay with this, actually, assuming "end game" is soon.

I kind of imagine that they're going to want to God Tier everyone before they face Lord English.

I mean. I'm still pretty sure John's gonna be the one to kill LE, what with Fears No Anvil being described as "Stops Time".

And the Page of Hope (i.e Jake) class being "One who brings Hope".

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm trying to find a way to express my take on how a retcon would effect a potential paradox where a thing needs to exist but if it cant exist then... anyway I'm getting a pinching sensation at the base of my skull now is the salient point here.

It's like this poo poo wasn't convoluted enough without introducing another level of self-perpetuating crap.

This is probably why Terezi is sticking to the subtle, more easily predicted changes. John is kind of walking on eggshells here.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Ariong posted:

This is probably why Terezi is sticking to the subtle, more easily predicted changes. John is kind of walking on eggshells here.

John is dealing with forces, which, if handled recklessly, would nullify the basic ability of intelligent beings in all real and hypothetical planes of existence to give a poo poo. It would be stupid of him to mismanage these forces. He is pretty stupid.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Eh, he's basically following Dave's rules for time travel which is to not worry too much about it. The "don't do anything retarded" part, less so.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I wonder wheter Terezi knew that John was going to put his own spin on the messages or not. I would expect as much from a Seer of Mind.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Blackheart posted:

Eh, he's basically following Dave's rules for time travel which is to not worry too much about it. The "don't do anything retarded" part, less so.

The problem is, Dave's rules worked for Dave because he quickly figured out that all of his time travel was effectively fated to happen and going against fate was dangerous - if future Dave shows up and punches him in the face, Dave's reaction was to go "welp, guess I gotta punch myself in the face now" and go do it. Rose even criticized this attitude when she noted he was using it as an excuse to avoid responsibility for his actions (like not telling Jade she was going to accidentally shoot him).

John's powers work in basically the opposite way to Dave's in that he can add whatever he likes to the timeline, and just like that Simpsons Halloween bit if he goes around slapping time willy nilly there'll be consequences. John's never been too bright, so I wouldn't be surprised if other characters besides Terezi feed him instructions for changes they want to make to the timeline.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The interesting for me here about this comic in particular is that, not counting 'R3UN1ON," it's the first time we (might) be able to see the retjohning effect more than just Terezi's thoughts. The conversation with Dave has already been changed, since Terezi actually took the time to type out 'dot dot dot HUH' when surprised by a thing...now if she follows that up with 'hey um your buddy egbert has apparently teamed up with my future self to steal my stuffed animals and leave me notes' then the human team's Time Guy is now officially aware of the situation.

...no idea what that would lead to, if anybody can offer advice on Time shenanigans it's Dave.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I wouldn't say John is dumb. I mean, he was the guy to figure out how the captcha system worked.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

John's not necessarily dumb, he's just kind of rushing ahead without thinking of the consequences in this situation.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
He's an inattentive goofball. He's not dumb, though they look the same sometimes.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tunicate posted:

I wouldn't say John is dumb. I mean, he was the guy to figure out how the captcha system worked.

Decent Int, subpar Wis.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Bobulus posted:

Decent Int, subpar Wis.
Somewhat above-average int. Both WIS and CON would be his dump stats. CHA is his best stat for sure. His physical stats would be pretty unremarkable, but his hammers would confer a big bonus to STR, and the more he learns about the Breeze, the bigger a bonus to AGI he gets, until eventually he can kinda avoid stuff at will.

Oh god trap sprung.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

JT Jag posted:

Somewhat above-average int. Both WIS and CON would be his dump stats. CHA is his best stat for sure. His physical stats would be pretty unremarkable, but his hammers would confer a big bonus to STR, and the more he learns about the Breeze, the bigger a bonus to AGI he gets, until eventually he can kinda avoid stuff at will.

Oh god trap sprung.
Wait wait, what system mixes WIS and AGI? Wouldn't you want Wisdom and Dexterity (Dungeons & Dragons) or Perception and Agility (SPECIAL/Fallout)?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

XkyRauh posted:

Wait wait, what system mixes WIS and AGI? Wouldn't you want Wisdom and Dexterity (Dungeons & Dragons) or Perception and Agility (SPECIAL/Fallout)?
Now it is YOU upon you the trap is sprung!

KoB
May 1, 2009
Terezi is a Seer of Mind, I bet she knows the kind of dumb poo poo John would get up to and accounted for it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

KoB posted:

Terezi is a Seer of Mind, I bet she knows the kind of dumb poo poo John would get up to and accounted for it.

This. The whole point of being Seer of Mind is that she can see all the possible paths, and she would know quite well that the paths involving John's free-will participation wouldn't proceed according to her direct orders.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

XkyRauh posted:

look at this dragon quest scrub

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
You don't have to be a seer of mind to figure out John is a doofus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Look, John's statline is obviously Pluck +3 Grit +1 Code +0 Rhyme -1 Dream +2. (advanced from Pluck +2 Grit +0 Code +0 Rhyme -1 Dream +1) He is the man who cannot read the mood, or the book, but somehow does the right thing anyway.