Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ArfJason posted:

i think i might game some more

good! whats your jam lately?

mine has been dungeon crawl stone soup and nuclear throne

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Eonwe posted:

good! whats your jam lately?

mine has been dungeon crawl stone soup and nuclear throne

ever since i came back from the holidays ive played metal gear rising, and have left isaac, so im going back to isaac. I'm 10 achievements from completing it, so I'm gonna work on completin some challenges. Maybe after that ill play nuclear throne which zoq fot gave to me
heard a lot of good stuff about it

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its fun! and also tough

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I've never played a Metal Gear game, but now that they're coming to Steam I think I should. Which ones should I play, and in which order?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i would have completed isaac by now if bugs wouldn't have made it impossible

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never played a Metal Gear game, but now that they're coming to Steam I think I should. Which ones should I play, and in which order?

i started with ground zeroes and i did just fine

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

A Steampunk Gent posted:

I cleared Dungeon of the Endless for the first time on Too Easy today which was really fun :)

The game's a complete bastard even on it's lowest difficulty and I lost my hard carry dude three floor from the end but I'd built enough of an economy by then that I could build some really effective killing floors, fight defensively and farm dust for the rest of the playthrough. KIP cannons are absolutely filthy and Mizi is a powerhouse early game

It's been sitting in my Steam unplayed folder, daring me to play it. Is it a good "learn the mechanics and it's not so bad" kind of difficulty, or is it more of a "you have a random chance per run to get cornholed by big burly men and there's nothing you can do to anticipate it or prevent it" type?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
gonna play diablo 3 with the wife soon

then i think i will start playing mgs2 cause i haven't played it in like a decade

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

1, then 2, then 3, then either Peace Walker or 4. Peace Walker leads into Ground Zeroes, 4 leads into Rising. Good luck, gamer. Your in for some primo poo poo.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

1, then 2, then 3, then either Peace Walker or 4. Peace Walker leads into Ground Zeroes, 4 leads into Rising. Good luck, gamer. Your in for some primo poo poo.
I liked Alpha Protocol and MGS looks similar, so I'm excited.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I loved alpha protocol; the level of story branching has not been even approached in a major release since. Especially not story that branches from every little thing you say to everyone, as opposed to IF YOU DO THIS MISSION, YOU CANNOT

The game part was mediocre as hell but fun at times. MGS is a way better game in mechanics terms but has none of the stuff that makes Alpha Protocol great.

Also it's very animu if you're into that or not and batshit crazy, some people really enjoy the near-nonsensical plot. It's really hard to follow.

I suggest watching Metal Gear Scanlon =)

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i was thinking of grabbng the hd collection (ps3) so i can finally catch up on some mgs

the first MGS isn't an unlockable or whatever, right? like, the collection is just the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th game, right?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

i was thinking of grabbng the hd collection (ps3) so i can finally catch up on some mgs

the first MGS isn't an unlockable or whatever, right? like, the collection is just the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th game, right?

HD collection is 2, 3, and HD peace walker with the first two Metal Gear Classics bundled in.
Legacy Collection is that, plus MGS1 and MGS4, but its PS3 exclusive..

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ArfJason posted:

i think i might game some more

I remember last year when you posted in the steam winter sale thread and you had a wicked huge sig and no one complained. It was a cool sig tho I remember.
Game on.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

FactsAreUseless posted:

MGS3. All of them but MGS4 are good, though.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alain Post posted:

The mghd collection has 2-3 and peace walker. I played pw for the first time like a month ago and it's really cool

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Blind Sally posted:

You can get MGS1 on the PS Network- the Legacy Collection that includes MGS1 just gives you a redemption code to download it. It's not HD but I kind of like it that way.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Alain Post posted:

I like 4

Decent gameplay and Kojima set out to wrap up most of the loose ends in his batshit fuckin story and by God he did it.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I like 4

Decent gameplay and Kojima set out to wrap up most of the loose ends in his batshit fuckin story and by God he did it.
In one of the sloppiest ways possible. I do like that article some person wrote detailing how MGS4 is just about Kojima finally throwing his hands up, tired of being forced to keep working on the series.

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Starting with MGS1 and working through the series in order is best because while the story line as a whole is goofy as gently caress in many ways, Kojima puts a lot of care into each game and how he presents their individual themes, and imo you gain a better appreciation for all the characters in the game if you follow through by way of release date.

Plus each game builds on the mechanics and play-style of the previous MGS before it, so starting at a game like 3 or 4 can make it much more difficult to play and enjoy the earlier titles due to their lack of a handful of gameplay elements.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
4 is good when you get to play it. Peace Walker is the only mainline MGS that I didn't like, I just gave up at the helicopter because I found it to be boring and I already given it a few chances. It really felt like a really watered down version of the previous games, not having a colorful goon squad to have boss fights with really hurt it too.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 6, 2015

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I'm very close to beating Bastion, I've had it for ages and never got past the first like third of the game for whatever reason

Its good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hubris.height posted:

gonna play diablo 3 with the wife soon

until school starts back up getting drunk and playing diablo 3 is all that's keeping my gf and i occupied after the bars close

we have a very healthy relationship. i tank, she nukes.

i know the horse skill is sub optimal but i can't stop using it. it's a fuckin horse!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Acquire Currency! posted:

I remember last year when you posted in the steam winter sale thread and you had a wicked huge sig and no one complained. It was a cool sig tho I remember.
Game on.

yeah when you get banned sa clears your sig to put that crazy wicked "this thread brought..." line. Besides, i set salr quick reply to disable the show sig checkbox so i have to manually turn it on

Davincie posted:

i would have completed isaac by now if bugs wouldn't have made it impossible

i just tried family man challenge for the first time and with some clever play, im guppy and have like 5 damage up items. my flies mutilate everything. i am death incarnate.
gently caress you, cathedral, you're going down

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ahundredbux posted:

I'm very close to beating Bastion, I've had it for ages and never got past the first like third of the game for whatever reason

Its good

Bastion is one of my favorite games

E:/\/\/\ wicked

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

precision posted:

until school starts back up getting drunk and playing diablo 3 is all that's keeping my gf and i occupied after the bars close

we have a very healthy relationship. i tank, she nukes.

i know the horse skill is sub optimal but i can't stop using it. it's a fuckin horse!

use the 3 horses its better and 3 horses

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Bobby The Rookie posted:

In one of the sloppiest ways possible. I do like that article some person wrote detailing how MGS4 is just about Kojima finally throwing his hands up, tired of being forced to keep working on the series.

To tell the truth I don't think there was a clean and satisfying way to resolve it all. Cutting the Gordian knot in this case is just blowing up the world or something.

That's Kojima's own fault for writing a story that insane and contrived but that's not a worthwhile criticism now since that's kind of the thing that makes the story fun.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 6, 2015

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I've always wondered this and I guess this is an informal enough place to ask: is there some kind of game dev thread on SA? Am I a big dumb who can't find it?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got to have a MECHA fight i a metal gear so I'm happy

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Alain Post posted:

You can get MGS1 on the PS Network- the Legacy Collection that includes MGS1 just gives you a redemption code to download it. It's not HD but I kind of like it that way.

I think i'll do this instead of looking for the legacy collection. i already have msg1 downloaded but haven't beaten it, so i'll start there

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Star Guarded posted:

I've always wondered this and I guess this is an informal enough place to ask: is there some kind of game dev thread on SA? Am I a big dumb who can't find it?

pretty sure there is, at least it used to be a monthly or more thing

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ahundredbux posted:

Its good

uuugh for some reason i cant bring myself to finish this one. despite only playing it for a few hours i got burned out. its a great game and all i just kind of thing the whole dungeon brawler / action rpg kind of dull solo

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
if werre talking mgs why not 3 which is The Best

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Up to the Elves posted:

if werre talking mgs why not 3 which is The Best

yeah 3 is crazy powerful but I got high hopes for phantom pain

Up to the Elves
Nov 4, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
im going to download and play 3 on the beautiful pcsx2 . :cheers:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Acquire Currency! posted:

I hope everyone's got some entries for that fan fiction dome contest thread lol

I don't know what's worse, the people living on a fixed income who blow way too much money on the Steam sale or the people with too much disposable income who buy multiple copies of games for no reason.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I rolled spear and shotgun in Bastion and loved it with a mobile playstyle. Then I went through it again with several other weapon combos/upgrades immediately. Then I went through the arena things repeatedly with different weapons. Amazing game. The music, the art, the way the world flies up to meet your feet. Man.

I hear Transistor is neat but not the same kind of fun...

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Jon Do posted:

I rolled spear and shotgun in Bastion and loved it with a mobile playstyle. Then I went through it again with several other weapon combos/upgrades immediately. Then I went through the arena things repeatedly with different weapons. Amazing game. The music, the art, the way the world flies up to meet your feet. Man.

I hear Transistor is neat but not the same kind of fun...

The weapon balance in Bastion is fantastic and definitely its strongest point gameplay-wise. They all feel different and useful.

Transistor is also neat but flawed. It has some great moments, particularly the final boss, but the gameplay mechanics fall short of their ambition.

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
I've never played Bastion. Is it worth $15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
yes

• Locked thread