Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

jabby posted:

In Lego Movie when they are in the Wild West, WildStyle and Bad Cop (and everyone else) are clipped onto their horses like Lego figurines are supposed to be. Emmett on the other hand is just placed on top of the horse. Because he doesn't know how to ride one.

EDIT: When they get to the bar WildStyle also ties her horse up outside, while Emmett simply hops off and his horse runs away.

My favorite part is that they took the time to superimpose thumb prints on all the Lego guys that you can only see when the light hits them the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Solice Kirsk posted:

My favorite part is that they took the time to superimpose thumb prints on all the Lego guys that you can only see when the light hits them the right way.

Shut up. As if I needed a reason to love it more.

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

In the Old West, when they are walking away from where they landed, you can still see "THE OLD WEST" in the background, but backwards. Cause it was really there.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Also in the Lego Movie, when the train goes over the cliff and explodes (because everything explodes, the pigs explode into lego bacon.
:rip:

tyler is a joke
Apr 28, 2013

In definitely not intentional subtle moments from The Sopranos:

In season 2 when Big Pussy returns from his absence and the guys suspect him of turning rat, he says he was at a spa in Puerto Rico.

Puerto RICO.

As in, RICO.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah I know exactly what he's talking about and I'm 99% it was a Jacuzzi. However, that's still a really great insight into the framing/direction of that scene--it's also something I never consciously picked up on, but it definitely adds to the scene. Not just in an action-y way, but it's a good visual complement to the chaos/turmoil inside Sarah Connor.

It also allows them to film Hamilton emotionlessly pouring automatic fire into an innocent man's home before kicking in the door with a pistol, much like the one thing she's trying to prevent. Nicely filmed scene.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Wild T posted:

It also allows them to film Hamilton emotionlessly pouring automatic fire into an innocent man's home before kicking in the door with a pistol, much like the one thing she's trying to prevent. Nicely filmed scene.

Just bought this on Blu Ray for $5 at Target. Stoked to get home and watch it again!

Coolie Ghost
Jan 16, 2013

sensible dissent dispenser

Solice Kirsk posted:

That might just be because they minimized their use of CGI in the film so much that those are just the actual thumbprints made by people positioning the legos, which is still a wonderful effect

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Coolie Ghost posted:

That might just be because they minimized their use of CGI in the film so much that those are just the actual thumbprints made by people positioning the legos, which is still a wonderful effect

Uh what? It's almost entirely CGI except for the part with the kid and his dad

http://entertainment.time.com/2014/...1e01d6355eb666a

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

syscall girl posted:

I had one of those guys and the plastic is really thin there, so yeah that was a nice touch. Hell, everything about that character was awesome. Charlie Day was perfect for that role.

And yet they got Emmett's hair wrong in various shots by putting a seam down the middle of it, which Lego never has. Weird. Why would they make the model look worse than it really is?

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009

Gromit posted:

And yet they got Emmett's hair wrong in various shots by putting a seam down the middle of it, which Lego never has. Weird. Why would they make the model look worse than it really is?

Edit: I hope this isn't huge, I'm posting from my phone.

Grape Juice Vampire has a new favorite as of 04:39 on Dec 28, 2014

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

How is lego formed?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
How minifig get pregnant?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

In the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds there's an early scene where Dakota Fanning's character gets a sliver. Tom wants to get it out for her, but she tells him her body will just push it out eventually. Seems like that's alluding to the aliens, and how the Earth will rid itself of them given time.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Coolie Ghost posted:

This in itself is a testament to how good the CGI was. Going into the movie blind I was honestly convinced it was stop-motion with actual legos as well and spent the whole movie being blown away as to how much time and effort it would take to actually make this movie practically. The cool part is that they could, but with CGI they pulled off an identical looking product in a fraction of the time. Seems like legos would be really easy to render, since most of them are flat solid colored blocks with a few hero (heh) figures with distinguishing fine detail like the thumbprints. That takes nothing away from the artists, however, who still managed to make the entire film within the constraints of 'lego logic.'

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Honestly, between stuff like paranorman that uses stop motion to achieve a computer-generated look and stuff like the lego movie that uses computer-generated effects to achieve a stop-motion look, it's hard to decide which is more impressive.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009
In Collateral, towards the end in the last taxi scene, Vincent goes off on his existential nihilism spiel and it's a great scene and all. Once Max loses it and starts speeding, Vincent tells him to slow down, he doesn't, then he warns "red light!" and Max blows through it. Earlier in the film he used to the phrase "red light, Max!" to stop him from running away. I feel like it was intentional to show that Max finally shunned Vincent's control. Of course he deliberately crashes the cab right after this, which isn't as subtle.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Edit: I hope this isn't huge, I'm posting from my phone.

Is that a standard piece? Literally every hair piece I've looked at does not have a seam.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

That poo poo wouldn't go through QA for my childhood legos.

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!

Bloodcider posted:

In Collateral, towards the end in the last taxi scene, Vincent goes off on his existential nihilism spiel and it's a great scene and all. Once Max loses it and starts speeding, Vincent tells him to slow down, he doesn't, then he warns "red light!" and Max blows through it. Earlier in the film he used to the phrase "red light, Max!" to stop him from running away. I feel like it was intentional to show that Max finally shunned Vincent's control. Of course he deliberately crashes the cab right after this, which isn't as subtle.

My favourite Collateral thing is the bullet groupings in the final shootout. Every time Vincent shoots his gun he fires three shots which are all closely grouped at centre mass - its the efficient practice of a trained marksman. This lets him down during the final shoot out where his bullets are all blocked by the centre of the door.

cat_snake
Nov 19, 2014

Saw The Running Man on Netflix last night and noticed the credits for the tv show playing on the screen in the broadcast room with Killian after they stagged killing off Richards with Captain Freedom says:

quote:

Thank You
Tim
George
Gary
Paul
Rob
Keith
You
Me
Us
Them

What Next
I Don't Know

Titles
Type M*Wrong

Make Up
Paint Your Face

Props
Property

Locations
By To Long Here

Art Director
Red G Bleu
And
Primary Colors

Music
Do Ray Me

got a laugh out of that. Never noticed it before.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

tobu posted:

My favourite Collateral thing is the bullet groupings in the final shootout. Every time Vincent shoots his gun he fires three shots which are all closely grouped at centre mass - its the efficient practice of a trained marksman. This lets him down during the final shoot out where his bullets are all blocked by the centre of the door.

Meanwhile, Max, who always does things the same way, every time, finally improvises and just sprays bullets everywhere, and one of them hits Vincent. It's the payoff to the way Vincent is always talking about improvising and things like the (amazing) jazz club scene.

Collateral is one of my favorite movies of all time.

Something I noticed rewatching XMen:Days of Future Past- in the scene where Mystique impersonates an army colonel to bust out some mutants, her nametag reads "Sanders".

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
I watched Zombieland the other day and noticed something I hadn't on previous viewings. Tallahassee is going nuts over the Sno-Balls in the Hostess truck, but then I saw:

On the right there, are those Twinkies? There are three shots from that POV during that scene, but I'm not sure.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So here's the definitive subtle moment to me.

During Rashomon when the spirit medium gives her story and she talks about somebody pulling the dagger from the chest of the samurai you can see the Woodcutter nervously fidget in the background. It's such a small, brief moment that I had to see the film probably half a dozen times before I even caught it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mng posted:

I watched Zombieland the other day and noticed something I hadn't on previous viewings. Tallahassee is going nuts over the Sno-Balls in the Hostess truck, but then I saw:

On the right there, are those Twinkies? There are three shots from that POV during that scene, but I'm not sure.

Just lighting I think. The one closest to the door looks pink and round, and the bottom one is pink, so I don't think so.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Was watching The Interview and in the scene where Rogen has to put the missile in his rear end, if you watch the thermal sat feed, he starts glowing pretty bright when he starts trying to "secure the package".

Thought it was a neat subtle effect for a movie not known for it's subtlety.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

Shatter Map posted:

In Saving Private Ryan , each of the privates in Captain Miller's squad foreshadows how they will meet their death.

When the soldiers are pinned down by a German sniper in the French village, Private Jackson notices a bell tower in the distance and says "That's where I'd be". Private Jackson is later killed by a tank round while in a bell tower during the final battle in the third act

Private Mellish is handed a Hitler Youth knife shortly after the soldiers have secured the beachhead in the opening invasion sequence. He says "..yeah and now its a Kaballah cutter". Private Mellish is later stabbed to death by a knife

When the squad is first debarking across the French countryside to search for Ryan, Private Caparzo tells Corporal Upham to never salute Captain Miller because it makes his a target for sniper fire, "especially when I'm standing next to him" he adds... Caparzo is later killed by a sniper bullet

During the beach invasion, Wade the Medic is seen frantically trying to patch up a badly wounded soldier on the beach. He tells the soldier not to look at the wound . Wade is later shot and cannot address his injury because the round exited through his back and he can not see the exit wounds

Can anyone think of any other instances of this in the movie?

When the squad begin to move out in their search for Ryan Captain Miller is saying what he would say to his superior officers, including the line "I would lay down my own life for Private Ryan, and the lives of all of my men" and they all die obviously

His shaking hand throughout the movie being suddenly cured when firing his pistol almost uselessly at the tank at the end was always my favourite bit.

Do we really need to spoiler Saving Private Ryan??

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The drat movie spoils itself in the title.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Tracula posted:

So here's the definitive subtle moment to me.

During Rashomon when the spirit medium gives her story and she talks about somebody pulling the dagger from the chest of the samurai you can see the Woodcutter nervously fidget in the background. It's such a small, brief moment that I had to see the film probably half a dozen times before I even caught it.

I'm going to have to check this out.

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

tobu posted:

It's specifically called the 'Mozambique drill', and it involves 2 shots fired towards centre mass and one in the head. Apparently the speed in which Tom Cruise does it to both muggers in the alley really is impressive, although the IMFDB.org article claims he would have missed the second muggers' headshot and it's a bit of a conceit that the second mugger can't get his own pistol out of his pants in time.

Stayne Falls
Aug 11, 2007
Everything was beautiful
Ignore this, having issues with the Awful App.

Stayne Falls has a new favorite as of 16:41 on Jan 26, 2015

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Hoopy Frood posted:

it's a bit of a conceit that the second mugger can't get his own pistol out of his pants in time.

That never bothered me, the guy's an average schmuck, not a super professional like Tom Cruise. I think it'd be more unrealistic if he just drew it perfectly, especially if it's in his pants and not a holster.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Coffee And Pie posted:

That never bothered me, the guy's an average schmuck, not a super professional like Tom Cruise. I think it'd be more unrealistic if he just drew it perfectly, especially if it's in his pants and not a holster.

I had to rewatch it, but he does seem to take an awful long time to draw as his hand was already on the gun. But then element of surprise and panic etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiqwF_Y9S5Q

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

mng posted:

I had to rewatch it, but he does seem to take an awful long time to draw as his hand was already on the gun. But then element of surprise and panic etc.

It's less than two seconds between the moment Tom pushes the first guys hand aside and the moment he drops the second guy.

Hoopy Frood posted:

It's specifically called the 'Mozambique drill', and it involves 2 shots fired towards centre mass and one in the head. Apparently the speed in which Tom Cruise does it to both muggers in the alley really is impressive, although the IMFDB.org article claims he would have missed the second muggers' headshot and it's a bit of a conceit that the second mugger can't get his own pistol out of his pants in time.
Am I looking at the wrong article, or did someone edit it already?

Hoopy Frood
May 1, 2008

Xander77 posted:

It's less than two seconds between the moment Tom pushes the first guys hand aside and the moment he drops the second guy.
Am I looking at the wrong article, or did someone edit it already?

No you're right, I think it's been changed.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

mng posted:

I really like how the shots echo. Most movies just have the shot, and that's it. The echo really helps the scene in such a subtle way.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I really like how the shots echo. Most movies just have the shot, and that's it. The echo really helps the scene in such a subtle way.

That is Michael Mann, watch any of his movies and the gun battles are amazing for the sound/realism.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

JEEVES420 posted:

That is Michael Mann, watch any of his movies and the gun battles are amazing for the sound/realism.

This definitely applies to the recently released Blackhat, even though I wouldn't call it a great movie.

It also features a guy with a pistol taking out several guys with automatic rifles simply because he isn't squeezing the trigger like a mad man.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The echo of the gunfire in the shootout in Heat is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sand Monster posted:

The echo of the gunfire in the shootout in Heat is amazing.

The entire opening scene in Heat is possibly the most masterfully orchestrated action sequence I've ever seen. The first time i watched the movie i rewound and watched it at least five times.

Also i just watched Thief. :drat: My :siren:girlfriend:siren: actually gave it five stars on Netflix. She is a huge fan of Drive and loved seeing where it came from, as well as an alternate take on the character. I loved it too, but somehow she's the one who is still gabbering about the movie.