Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Cubey posted:

JRPG speedruns are take it or leave it usually, but I implore everyone to watch the FF7 speedrun later this week, you won't be disappointed.

i've been burned by recommendations like this before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harlock posted:

Paper Mario as the finale to SGDQ was kind of rough

I thought the finale was FF6?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Sire Oblivion posted:

I think the issue with JRPG runs is that if you haven't played the game you don't really understand what's going on even if the commentator is really good. Usually when they run JRPGs I watch it with a friend who loves them and he goes into all of the specific details of what exactly is skipped and I get somewhat of a sense of what just happened but ultimately I'm still :what: about it. When you're not walking on air, moving at speeds that anyone can clearly see wasn't intended or clipping through poo poo it really just becomes a playthrough for most people.

It's mostly routing, really. The FFVII run this marathon should be quite fun, tho.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

absolutely anything posted:

i've been burned by recommendations like this before

Unless you have 6 hours I wouldn't try.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought the finale was FF6?
Was it? The last thing I remember watching was paper Mario maybe it was earlier that day

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crain posted:

The FF7 run won't even be half that long

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!

Crain posted:

Good news! FF7 can be beaten in 3 hours now. It will be a treat and should be enjoyable if you have even a vague knowledge of the game.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Paper Mario is another game like Diddy Kong Racing where any% is a lot of fun even if it takes an hour or so, since there's tons of cool skips and a lot of high-risk tricks to pull off that break the game apart, but on 100% it's just a boring overly long slog through the entire game.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Cubey posted:

The FF7 run won't even be half that long

Wait really? drat.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Al Borland posted:

on that topic FF 13 speed run.

FF13 is actually a cool run that involves a lot of good execution, it's also an entertaining run because you can make fun of the plot while you skip the utscenes

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crain posted:

Wait really? drat.

Yeah really. Let that be an indicator of how broken the run is :getin:

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Dr. Dos posted:

Good news! FF7 can be beaten in 3 hours now. It will be a treat and should be enjoyable if you have even a vague knowledge of the game.

I'm skeptical of this.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Crain posted:

Wait really? drat.

Our point exactly.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Man. The duck hosed the run. Like wow, he hosed it hard.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Kill the run. Too late to continue.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Al Borland posted:

I'm skeptical of this.

why? it's pretty demonstrably true if you just look at the schedule.

FF7 is some broken rear end game but it does take a decent while of the usual boring JRPG fare before it really gets going, but it gets going and it's pretty special when it does.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
PJ breaks everything.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
Touhou hype :dance:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Al Borland posted:

I'm skeptical of this.
Oh darn, that's bad rng. This never happens. Alright, this run will now be 10 hours long

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Harlock posted:

Was it? The last thing I remember watching was paper Mario maybe it was earlier that day

There was a TTYD run but I don't think it ended the marathon. I recall the last run being FF6 and I mostly remember that because the runners acted out the opera.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
SA Crew :patriot:

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Shoutouts woo!

I wasn't paying attention :o

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

SA CREWWW!!!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

SA gets a proper name drop now.

:rip: Studio

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Big donation with an SA shoutout :unsmith:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i hope that one guy is doing that super mario 64 run where he tries to do the backwards WAHOO trick through the door and keeps loving up for 20 minutes that was my favorite run from agdq and then encore at sgdq

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Lag on the stream, skype chat and game all seem to be getting worse. Hope it's just normal network shittiness and not some jerks trying to ruin peoples fun.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
seems like the game is starting to wear thin with the audience

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
My BYOB donation was yesterday :smith:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

Uncharted was legit interesting and last year's RE4 run was pretty bad, didn't he use New Game+ weapons and poo poo that trivialized the whole game?
Yeah it caused a discussion about potentially blocking any NG+ runs for a while.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Cubey posted:

Err, what? I verified the current SDA run and that ended up being almost 7 hours. What the hell did they discover?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

They need to bring the Battleblock narrator on as a permanent commentator on everything.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Yeah it caused a discussion about potentially blocking any NG+ runs for a while.

good, because that RE4 run was aggressively lovely

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zurreco posted:

Err, what? I verified the current SDA run and that ended up being almost 7 hours. What the hell did they discover?

Watch and find out! I don't want to ruin the surprise.

Also official SDA records are pretty unreliable anymore.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBCkwF_cWYw

horses swimming confirmed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBCkwF_cWYw&t=44s

Stamper knows his poo poo about horses

edit: god dammit al

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Narrator dude is legit funny.

He sounds kinda like Naeglaria

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Al Borland posted:

My BYOB donation was yesterday :smith:

YOBBERS NEED NOT APPLY :coolfish:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Cubey posted:

They aren't using the disc swap glitch that fucks up the map, are they? It produces really interesting results (such as allowing Aeris to witness her own death), but it's kind of cheating to use a completely different game to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Studio posted:

YOBBERS NEED NOT APPLY :coolfish:

I don't think it was ever read though. IT was during Mario Kart Wii or something bad.

:byob1:

• Locked thread