Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

User Error posted:

Sounds like extra weight.

I checked the box and got the shades. Does that make me a bad person, or just someone who lives where it gets hot and even with a tint the shades can make a big difference when parking in the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the poi
Oct 24, 2004

turbo volvo, wooooo!
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

So while ,y car is off the road getting:

Bushes
Drive shafts + sensors
Rear arms
Quicker rack
New coliovers
Brake lines
Rear subframe reinforcement

Is there anything else I shoild consider while sub frames/exhaust/diff etc is off?

2015 gonna be expensive.

I'm literally just finishing putting mine back together after doing the entire rear-end (and then some).

Check the last entry here for all of what I did: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RXPnhkATWIz9-HXqsFjyRe16ko2MDhT_CS8gV6kuGto

And list of all the parts I replaced (start from around Dec 9): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FrVcng4rssNa5U5UOIyYTUWFS177NRmMwteQRRKZLGY

Lemme know how that rack goes...is it much faster than the ZHP/base model rack? The stock rack is probably great for doing 140mph down the autobahn but its like driving a bus around town....

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

the poi posted:

The stock rack is probably great for doing 140mph down the autobahn but its like driving a bus around town....
You're spoiled as hell. :allears: :)

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Ended up ordering the bilstein b12 sportline kit, kept to my budget of 1k CAD since this was not an expected purchase. Already have TCK SA fronts and DA rears on my e36.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Meanwhile my beater 5 is on the original suspension (shocks, struts, springs, control arms, etc) at 184k miles.

One of these days...

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

CornHolio posted:

Meanwhile my beater 5 is on the original suspension (shocks, struts, springs, control arms, etc) at 184k miles.

One of these days...

I can't imagine the ride on that. My E39 sport had 80k on it when I bought it and refreshing the suspension totally changed the car.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Brock Landers posted:

I can't imagine the ride on that. My E39 sport had 80k on it when I bought it and refreshing the suspension totally changed the car.

It's about as vague and boatlike as you can imagine. If other things I own would stop breaking for a little bit, I might be able to throw some money at the suspension. But unless (or until) it breaks, it isn't a priority.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

CornHolio posted:

It's about as vague and boatlike as you can imagine. If other things I own would stop breaking for a little bit, I might be able to throw some money at the suspension. But unless (or until) it breaks, it isn't a priority.

I'm in a similar boat with my E46. The front suspension needs a refresh but winter is here, my wife is about to have our third baby, and things are busy at work. Nothing is broken and there is no shimmy so it waits until spring.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

So a buddy of mine has an E60 545i, I think an '05. Auto transmission.

He posted this this morning:

It's finally cold here (10°F this morning) and that may be related. He says his power steering was out too (though only at the end of his trip), and his speedometer occasionally didn't work.

I'm thinking (because of the power steering not working) it's the alternator belt. Thoughts?

Just a follow-up to this, the dealership diagnosed it as the alternator.

I don't think I got an answer as to whether the E60 545i has a water-cooled alternator. Anybody know?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its air cooled and normal. But its a bit of a oval office to get at.

Here is a diy if you want to tackle it yourself.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1892960-2005-545i-Alternator-Replacement-DIY

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 6, 2015

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Its air cooled and normal. But its a bit of a oval office to get at.

Here is a diy if you want to tackle it yourself.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1892960-2005-545i-Alternator-Replacement-DIY

I'm not touching it in this cold (it was 1°F yesterday and my garage isn't heated). The dealer is charging him $1,260 to replace it. :a2m:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'd do a lot in the cold for that price. Wow.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That DIY looks pretty similar to my car. I couldn't fathom paying that much money for an alternator swap. I remember doing a M42 (which seems harder) alternator for the first time and it took me maybe an hour.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

CornHolio posted:

The dealer is charging him $1,260 to replace it. :a2m:

What the poo poo! Thats just bananas, jesus.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Wow and I understand that it is a bitch to replace that alternator but it would have saved over $1000 to DIY it. To each their own tho

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Seriously, for a grand you could take a day off of work, rent garage space, buy ALL of the tools needed to do the job, and buy lunch and dinner at a fancy restaurant and then STILL have cash left over.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

revmoo posted:

Seriously, for a grand you could take a day off of work, rent garage space, buy ALL of the tools needed to do the job, and buy lunch and dinner at a fancy restaurant and then STILL have cash left over.

Yeah, but remember, this isn't my car, it's a friend's car. And he never asked me to do it, and I wasn't about to jump up and down and beg. He's enjoying the 328 x-drive loaner he got from the dealer at least. And all his facebook friends are telling him to sell it and get a 'reliable car' (because you know, alternators on every other car last forever).

If it was my car, poo poo yeah I'd do it in a heartbeat.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
How important are fold down rear seats to you guys?

I'm in the market for an e90 M3, and the only cars I've seen that meet my other pretty basic criteria ended up not having fold down rear seats. I've had fold down rear seats in both my old e36 and e46 sedans, and while I only use them a handful of times, I can't help feeling like I'd be a sucker driving around a sedan without fold down rear seats. I imagine it'd hurt my ability to resell down the road as well.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Since I only have one car, I personally would not (and did not) buy one without fold down rear seats. It makes the car 10x more practical.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's super freaking annoying that you can't swap them in. Definitely worth getting IMO.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I didn't have them on my last E46 330 and it was a pita. I did punch through the ski pass through so at least I could shove some long stuff in there (and 2x4's and fenceboards on the front seat). Racks help too.

......and as mentioned below E90 sedans were a pita to find with fold down rear seats after 2009 or so, when they bundled it into the cold weather package. It was extremely hard to find a 2011 E90 with CWP on the west coast last year when I was looking.

The fold down seats come in very handy, won't not have them again.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 6, 2015

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Didn't have fold down's in my e36's and never really bothered me, and that was coming from an large estate car (and somebody that previously considered saloons silly and impractical). Bike went on the roof when needed, at least it kept the from getting manky.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

If I remember right, fold down seats on the E90 are part of the cold weather package for some reason. Don't know if that applies to the M3 or not. I don't have them in my 325 and though I really thought I would miss them, I really haven't It helps that my wife drives a Forester, so we have that to put big stuff in.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've never had a car with folding rear seats.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I had fold-down seats in my E36 and they were great. Don't have them in my E39 but I don't really miss them. My wife's car is a hatchback, the spare-car Volvo has fold-down rear seats, and now I have a beater Ranger. :v:

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

I wouldn't let the lack of fold down seats prevent me from moving on an otherwise perfect M3.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

BlackMK4 posted:

I've never had a car with folding rear seats.

Conversely, I've only owned two cars without folding rear seats: my 1977 Camaro and my MR2, and the MR2 didn't have rear seats period.

That said, at least with E46s there is one small benefit to not having folding seats - E46 sedans with fixed seats are the stiffest of the E46 chassis cars. :)

No idea if it makes a difference to chassis stiffness on E90s though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
E90s with no folding rear seats are a few percent stiffer than those with rear seats. Will you notice? Probably not.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

E90s with no folding rear seats are a few percent stiffer than those with rear seats. Will you notice? Probably not.

No, but you can brag about it at car meets.

"yeah, i did a stationary rear seat swap, increases torsional rigidity by over 4%, cut my lap times by quite a bit."

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My e39 has folding rear seats. I fit a 50" LCD TV in the packaging with an inch to spare, and one of those sliding glass dog doors.

I think it's awesome! Almost as practical as my wagon.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

My E39 doesn't, i think that means it handles better than yours. More track focused. A little more hardcore.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Isn't yours auto?
Because if so, your argument is invalid :colbert:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

drag cars are auto

checkmate :smugbert:

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
Jut curious what BMW goons think of the X1?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It's ugly as sin.

Beyond that, it really depends on what your needs are.

It's E90 based, shares engines with every other BMW, isn't going to be anything special in driving/handling due to the ride height, but it's one of the last BMWs with old school hydraulic steering.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

Powershift posted:

My E39 doesn't, i think that means it handles better than yours. More track focused. A little more hardcore.

Since when do drag cars need to handle?

Boom!
:c00lbutt:

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now

Powershift posted:

It's ugly as sin.

Beyond that, it really depends on what your needs are.

It's E90 based, shares engines with every other BMW, isn't going to be anything special in driving/handling due to the ride height, but it's one of the last BMWs with old school hydraulic steering.

My wifes BMW has convinced me to at least test drive one. From the couple of reviews I watched online it seems to be fairly sporty for a 4cyl awd suv/hatch type vehicle. Basically I want something that I'm going to commute in with decent mpg, occasionally seat 5 plus a dog in the hatch is somewhat sporty and has nicer options. From what I have seen I can get a CPO 2014 with less than 15k miles for less than a new ford escape or jeep cherokee.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

BJA posted:

My wifes BMW has convinced me to at least test drive one. From the couple of reviews I watched online it seems to be fairly sporty for a 4cyl awd suv/hatch type vehicle. Basically I want something that I'm going to commute in with decent mpg, occasionally seat 5 plus a dog in the hatch is somewhat sporty and has nicer options. From what I have seen I can get a CPO 2014 with less than 15k miles for less than a new ford escape or jeep cherokee.

I know this is the BMW thread but maybe consider the new forester? I've heard nothing but good things. Reasonable pep, very good MPG and some of the largest interior volume compared to size and weight. I've liked the ones I've been in.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

the X1 is still a compact SUV. "occasionally seat 5" is still a bit of a stretch. while there is a "center" seat in the back, there isn't actually anywhere for their legs to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mechaet
Jan 4, 2013

Insufferable measure of firewood
Member of the Beater 5 Army reporting in.

My e39 540i decided to spew coolant all over the place last night while I was getting onto an onramp. I managed to get out of the onramp lane and to the gas station across the overpass without overheating, and had it towed home. Now the fun part begins.

GDCS.

EDIT: I have zero idea whether it is the radiator or expansion tank, but something in that area is leaking coolant. I'm going to replace both and see how it goes.