Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Fried Chicken posted:

The CIA interrogation tapes were all destroyed when people began questioning their actions after Anu Ghraib came out. The Pentagon did not. There is quite a bit more of what went on at Abu Ghraib than was ever released, most of it in photos (which is why there is still the call to release the photos). Seymour Hersh has been saying since 2004 that there is more than that, that there is a heavily classified tape of the prisoner abuse. And that one of the less offensive things to happen on the tape is the forcible sodomizing (his words) of children, boys in the 12-18 year old range (per Guardian interviews with former detainees there), in front of their mothers. With audio of them screaming in pain and terror. And again, there is supposed to be worse stuff than this in the AG archives that hasn't come out.

http://www.salon.com/2004/07/15/hersh_7/

This popped up back into the news cycle before Christmas when he gave a speech to the ACLU and it came up in the aftermath of the torture report.

:stare:

I ask not sure I want to know the answer, but who did this alleged sodomizing? Were US soldiers allegedly raping kids....?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

richardfun posted:

I ask not sure I want to know the answer, but who did this alleged sodomizing? Were US soldiers allegedly raping kids....?

yes. Allegedly.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2004/may/22/iraq.usa1

quote:

"I saw [name blacked out] loving a kid, his age would be about 15-18 years. The kid was hurting very bad and they covered all the doors with sheets. Then when I heard the screaming I climbed the door because on top it wasn't covered and I saw [blacked out], who was wearing the military uniform putting his dick in the little kid's rear end," Mr Hilas told military investigators. "I couldn't see the face of the kid because his face wasn't in front of the door. And the female soldier was taking pictures."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
When in Rome!

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

richardfun posted:

Afghans (both Taliban and gov't) like to rape boys for some reason

edit: whoops! wrong Middle Eastern boy rape scandal!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
He even wrote about that in Kite Runner!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

richardfun posted:

Excuse me, the term you are looking for is "Enhanced Penetration" or "EPs"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Are people seriously complaining about Alexander the Greta's contributions to the culture of Afghanistan? Seems silly to complain about their traditions when they are traditions imposed by a conquering western force. Think of the ways America can influence Afghanistan for centuries to come!

Remember, it isn't Islamic misogyny that leads them to gently caress boys. The taliban down on that entirely unislamic practice with lethal force. It's hellenice misogyny that is the root of the problem here. And since many mujahadeen fighters have a hard time distinguishing between American and soviet forces, I imagine the distinction between "classical Greece" and "the West" is blurrier still.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

My Imaginary GF posted:

When you put me against the wall, who will prevent you from being next? Nobody. I'm all you got, and if you think I'm bad, you should hear what those assholes in the Senate think of you.

If that is the price to stop your posting I'll gladly pay it.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Stultus Maximus posted:

If the cultural idea is that women are subhuman and not worth being partners with men except to produce more men, are not allowed to be seen in public or interact with non-relatives, sexual relations become extremely twisted. Or to put it in Afghan terms, "How can you fall in love if you can’t see her face?…We can see the boys, so we can tell which are beautiful."

Yup. I remember an article where one man interviewed literally said something like "Women are for children, boys are for pleasure."

Found it, misremembered just a bit:

Foreign Policy posted:

A second corrupting, and perhaps surprising, consequence of bacha bazi is its negative impact on women’s rights in Afghanistan. It has become a commonly accepted notion among Afghanistan’s latent homosexual male population that "women are for children, and boys are for pleasure." Passed down through many generations and spurred by the vicious cycle created by the pedophile-victim relationship, many Afghan men have lost their attraction towards the opposite gender. Although social and religious customs still heavily dictate that all men must marry one or more women and have children, these marriages are often devoid of love and affection, and are treated as practical, mandated arrangements.

While the Afghan environment has grown more conducive to improving women’s social statuses, the continued normalization of bacha bazi will perpetuate the traditional view of women as second-class citizens — household fixtures meant for child-rearing and menial labor, and undeserving of male attraction and affection.

FourLeaf fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jan 6, 2015

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

This right here is why those low level soldiers who got tossed under the bus for mistreating prisoners at Abu Ghraib were real pissed off about what happened to them. They got very public punishments while others who condoned and did far worse were promoted.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, "I am deeply committed to the reelection of Boehner. With his leadership there are more House GOP than any time since 1928." ~ the Definer of Civilization's Rules and Leader (possibly) of the Civilizing Forces.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
This is the "hold on, Karl Rove is saying..." of Boehnerdammerung 2015:

But while the wishful thinking is rolling in, Speaker Gohmert won the endorsement of Sharron Angle. So, he's got that goin' for him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Louie has my support. Nothing could possibly be funnier, and I hear he makes great barbecue besides.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Gohmert as speaker would be great because he'd just filibuster every house bill without even realizing it. CSpan would turn into the Gohmert talking to an empty room 24/7 channel

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
He wants to force the repeal of two-thirds of "the regulations".

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
                                                                                                                                                    "I'd be rootin' for Louie"
                                                                                                                                                       /
                                                                                                                                                     /

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

The goal of Boehner and McConnell is to avoid the theatrics that have entertained us for the past few years, not hold their positions. Those aren't at risk. I don't doubt that Boehner will end up as speaker, but at the same time the leadership wouldn't be meeting this late and whipping this hard if they were confident this was an in the bag clean and easy vote. I think there is a fair chance we are looking at some entertainment tomorrow. Even if it doesn't go second round I'm betting on some attention getting nonsense to show unhappiness at the leadership's plan to play "small ball" with Obama

By the way, Politico is reporting a scoop, that Jeb is launching a leadership PAC and super PAC very soon to start putting together the money.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Louie has my support. Nothing could possibly be funnier, and I hear he makes great barbecue besides.

Gohmer has always struck me as the basis for that closeted mormon in alpha house

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
With Palin and Angle, Speaker Gohmert now has the endorsement of two women who failed to become members of the US Senate. What say you, Christine O'Donnell? Is Louie a witch?

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Gohmer has always struck me as the basis for that closeted mormon in alpha house

So basically, he turns you on.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr Hands Colon posted:

So basically, he turns you on.

Sorry, I'm not Ann.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "I am deeply committed to the reelection of Boehner. With his leadership there are more House GOP than any time since 1928." ~ the Definer of Civilization's Rules and Leader (possibly) of the Civilizing Forces.

Amazing.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
~watches global slowdown turn into Chinese liquidity crisis~

Thank you, Newt, for the greatest soundbite known to Democrats. You've just purchased any economic slowdown in the next decade.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

I wonder how long you'd need to spend laughing in Newt's face before he realized why that quote is funny.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

"I'd be rootin' for Louie"
                                                                                                                                                       /
                                                                                                                                                     /

I patiently wait the day Sarah Palin completes her transformation into Skeletor.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

Sorry, I'm not Ann.

Nor are you Lee Tergesen in dress blues.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I'm not looking forward to tomorrow.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

SalTheBard posted:

I'm not looking forward to tomorrow.

Specifically why not?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

GreyjoyBastard posted:

He wants to force the repeal of two-thirds of "the regulations".

And make the executive branch only count for three-fifths of what it does now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

I wonder how long you'd need to spend laughing in Newt's face before he realized why that quote is funny.

Oh my god, I had to go back and think about it.

That's fantastic.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Brannock posted:

Specifically why not?

GOP takeover of the Senate

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Ahahaha, I saw I had a few unread posts in one of the old threads and ran across this again https://soundcloud.com/tpmmedia/cochran-call it should be mentioned as one of the best moments of 2014 (craziness starts around 8:00).

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Ahahaha, I saw I had a few unread posts in one of the old threads and ran across this again https://soundcloud.com/tpmmedia/cochran-call it should be mentioned as one of the best moments of 2014 (craziness starts around 8:00).

reminder that this is the result of the floorpooper trying to boost his name (among the other insane poo poo he did during that campaign)

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

SalTheBard posted:

GOP takeover of the Senate

Nah, it's gonna be hilarious no matter what. The GOP has be able to cover for the splitting in their caucus for the past 6 years by blaming Dems. Tomorrow is when the country starts realizing the gridlock isn't because of Democrats.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Oh my god, I had to go back and think about it.

That's fantastic.

Is there something beyond the Great Depression thee that I'm missing?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

ErIog posted:

Tomorrow is when the country starts realizing the gridlock isn't because of Democrats.

We never learn in this thread do we?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Wonderful Fresh Air bit with Steven Brill on why Obamacare is nice because it helps a bunch of people get insurance but it's actually stupid and doesn't really do anything to cut healthcare costs at all.

Mostly because Obama is about as bureaucratic, in-bed-with-lobbyists and surrounded by yes-men (and women!) as you can get. Which is usually what happens when you dole out positions based on how much people contributed to your campaign, and not based on merit.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Like a week ago there were all these articles about how Bohener was perfectly safe. Did something change or is this the media horse racing it?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ErIog posted:

Nah, it's gonna be hilarious no matter what. The GOP has be able to cover for the splitting in their caucus for the past 6 years by blaming Dems. Tomorrow is when the country starts realizing the gridlock isn't because of Democrats.

Oh that is precious. They'll just say Obama is going against the constitution, and that's why there's gridlock because the GOP is too busy trying to keep America from becoming a dictatorship to pass bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

zoux posted:

Like a week ago there were all these articles about how Bohener was perfectly safe. Did something change or is this the media horse racing it?

He is, but the Tea Party wants to do something big and dramatic to show they are unhappy with the prospect of playing "small ball" with Obama - as in compromising on a number of small but necessary measures and keeping quiet to look like a responsible party and not throw 2016 away instead of using those measures to confront Obama. If they capture the position, so much the better from their POV, and some may even think they are going to. But the more reasonable goal is to tell the leadership to fuckoff and keep doing the kind of inane poo poo they've been doing since Bush was re-elected. They want a big media heavy confrontation with Obama, so they are orchestrating one, and the media is going along because its their job.

• Locked thread