Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the best possible doctor who videogame (excepting Phil Sandifer's obnoxious but kinda true answer of "a word processor") would probably be Lego Doctor Who, at least if the goal is encompassing 51+ years of history and being Fun.

a REALLY GOOD LucasArts/TellTale game could make for a more polished, directed experience tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

That's preposterous! Nobody would be enough of a nerd to combine Smash Brothers and Doctor Who for their internet persona!

:vince:

A Telltale game where you play a different Time Lord (and therefore, different regenerations/circumstances for regeneration) would be drat amazing.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

DoctorWhat posted:

Does anyone want to read a really dumb fanfic I just wrote about the universe being nearly destroyed by microwave popcorn?

Careful, you're one step away from "Doctor What and the Blow Job Cinder Block."

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

RodShaft posted:

Careful, you're one step away from "Doctor What and the Blow Job Cinder Block."

It's "DoctorWhat Jam and the Blowjob Cinderblock", thank you very much.

On that note, "Mad Man with a Toxx" was SUCH A GOOD THREAD TITLE

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

DoctorWhat posted:

Does anyone want to read a really dumb fanfic I just wrote about the universe being nearly destroyed by microwave popcorn?

The Doctor would not do the nasty in the pasty.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

The Doctor would not do the nasty in the pasty.

I'm pretty sure Past Nastification is the backbone of the Cartmel Masterplan, at least last I checked.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DoctorWhat posted:

On that note, "Mad Man with a Toxx" was SUCH A GOOD THREAD TITLE

What crazy person changed it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
They had an agreed title before they watched the episode, which was much worse than the spur of the moment one.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Doctor Who video game is called Civilization [whatever the latest number is at your time of playing], actually, and the plot is that you are the Master and your TARDIS broke, standing you on some humanoid planet in the prehistoric era, which you slowly build into your empire to take you into space.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

the best possible doctor who videogame (excepting Phil Sandifer's obnoxious but kinda true answer of "a word processor") would probably be Lego Doctor Who, at least if the goal is encompassing 51+ years of history and being Fun.

a REALLY GOOD LucasArts/TellTale game could make for a more polished, directed experience tho.

They'd milk every dime out of us, a game for the classic series and a game for the revival.

And an insultingly tiny level for Eight.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I really want a good Telltale Doctor Who game. Almost as much as I want a Telltale Star Trek TOS game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bicyclops posted:

I really liked this goofy character in the bowtie, because the idea that the Doctor was perfectly fine with Clara having a boyfriend as long as it was somebody "nice," which for him was of course the Matt Smith lookalike, while it still has its problems, is worlds better than the weird jealousy vibe I was getting before The Caretaker.

Plus it was funny.

The "space-dad" vibe really comes across strong in that episode, I thought - I didn't have any sense of a romantic interest on either of their behalfs throughout the season but this episode in particular solidified that quasi-family feel that I think the show had been going for.

DoctorWhat posted:

Lego Doctor Who

I only played a Lego game for the first time recently and as soon as I started playing (Marvel Superheroes) I knew that what I wanted more than anything was a Doctor Who version.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Bicyclops posted:

The Doctor Who video game is called Civilization [whatever the latest number is at your time of playing], actually, and the plot is that you are the Master and your TARDIS broke, standing you on some humanoid planet in the prehistoric era, which you slowly build into your empire to take you into space.

Welp, that's how I'm playing it from now on.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

This is now true as far as I'm concerned.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

The "space-dad" vibe really comes across strong in that episode, I thought - I didn't have any sense of a romantic interest on either of their behalfs throughout the season but this episode in particular solidified that quasi-family feel that I think the show had been going for.

I only played a Lego game for the first time recently and as soon as I started playing (Marvel Superheroes) I knew that what I wanted more than anything was a Doctor Who version.

I've been on the Lego Who bandwagon for a few years now. I heard a rumble that Lego and the BBC were talking so maybe some day.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Number 6 returns. And no, it isn't Colin.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-prisoner

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rhyno posted:

I've been on the Lego Who bandwagon for a few years now. I heard a rumble that Lego and the BBC were talking so maybe some day.

It's one of the proposed sets that got passed in Lego Ideas. Basically fans submit Lego sets and if they reach a certain amount of votes Lego will decide wether to make it. Doctor Who got those votes but the discussion about making the set is on going, probably because of rights issues, etc. We should know in the next month or two if it's becoming an official set.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

It's one of the proposed sets that got passed in Lego Ideas. Basically fans submit Lego sets and if they reach a certain amount of votes Lego will decide wether to make it. Doctor Who got those votes but the discussion about making the set is on going, probably because of rights issues, etc. We should know in the next month or two if it's becoming an official set.

Well they still have the deal with Character Building whom LEGO hates because it's a lovely knockoff of their product. Maybe once that deal expires we'll get some real Who Lego.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Rhyno posted:

Well they still have the deal with Character Building whom LEGO hates because it's a lovely knockoff of their product. Maybe once that deal expires we'll get some real Who Lego.

It expired last year, which is why Lego is now considering Doctor Who sets.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PriorMarcus posted:

It expired last year, which is why Lego is now considering Doctor Who sets.

Ah well, last year was a week ago so I hadn't really kept up. We just got a new batch of CB mini figures in just a month back.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Davros1 posted:

Number 6 returns. And no, it isn't Colin.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/the-prisoner

:neckbeard:
I'd be groaning if anybody else in the world were to try this. Was just watching an episode last night!

The Blu-Rays of the original run are fantastic, btw - hands down the best remastering I've ever seen.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
So looking at the recent posts in the Review thread, do people think that The Beast Below was a bad episode or something? I thought it was great and it's certainly more in line with the overall quality of season 5. It's Victory of the Daleks that I'm expecting the first negative reaction from frankly.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Proposition Joe posted:

So looking at the recent posts in the Review thread, do people think that The Beast Below was a bad episode or something? I thought it was great and it's certainly more in line with the overall quality of season 5. It's Victory of the Daleks that I'm expecting the first negative reaction from frankly.

Beast Below is great and I've never really been aware of any backlash against it, though given the first rule of Doctor Who fans I imagine there are probably plenty who do dislike it.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I've always thought Beast Below is an 8 or 9 out of 10. It seems to me that people underrate, maybe because it came right after The Eleventh Hour, which is gonna be hard to follow in any case.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

On a whim, I watched The Rings of Akhaten tonight (not for the first time), and I think it is officially my favorite Doctor Who story. (Yes, better than The Eleventh Hour, The Caves of Androzani, or any of the various Big Finish audios people are about to name.)

I can't think of anything else that presents both the premise and the ethos of Doctor Who so effectively, and Smith's and Coleman's performances are phenomenal.

greententacle
Apr 28, 2007

Mr Bubbles

Bicyclops posted:

I really liked this goofy character in the bowtie, because the idea that the Doctor was perfectly fine with Clara having a boyfriend as long as it was somebody "nice," which for him was of course the Matt Smith lookalike, while it still has its problems, is worlds better than the weird jealousy vibe I was getting before The Caretaker.

Plus it was funny.

Watching it first time I didn't even pick up he was supposed to be a Matt Smith lookalike, I just thought the Doctor liked him because he's a nerdy Doctor-type guy.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I remember enjoying the Beast Below, but I also remember reading an interview with Moffat (yes, I know, maybe I'll learn my lesson one day) where he says that he regrets it and it was rushed and terrible and makes no sense. So I guess there is at least one person who didn't like it!

Speaking of that thread though:

Toxxupation posted:

I can't get over how much better this episode is than nearly everything that came before it. Moffat thought everything, everything through script-wise- I remarked to Oxxidation in private that it sure was coincidental that the Atraxi were about to destroy the Earth at the exact same time he returned to it, and not at any time in the dozen years between then- only for Amy to voice that exact same complaint, and The Doctor to explain that it was following him and couldn't pinpoint a location to where Zero was until The Doctor came back. It's stuff like that that that really blows me away, because I was totally expecting that to be just an unexplained "just go with it", RTD-like plothole to make the plot of the episode happen- but no, Moffat took the time to think through every reasonable complaint one could make about the story and explain them. It's honestly loving inspiring, how much care and love Moff put into this script, to make everything make sense.

All I could think about reading this paragraph is how unfortunate the review for The Angels Take Manhatten is going to be. I mean, personally I love that episode and think all the emotional beats are perfect but there is not one single aspect of the plot that makes any kind of sense at all.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Edit: nvm

Bah! Sorry, talking about the other thread had me confused. Haha. I'm dumb.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Proposition Joe posted:

I don't think all the pieces of The Beast Below quite add up, but Smith and Gillan sell the hell out of it at the end. Certainly when I first saw it I thought it was a lesser episode, and only after watching the episode a second, and third, time have I grown to appreciate it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Proposition Joe posted:

It's one of my favorites of the season, I just thought that Occ'd be lukewarm on it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like Beast Below in general but I feel like a lot of it is done really clumsily. It does feel rushed and pretty contrived.

That said, Matt Smith raging at the end as he's forced to confront killing the Star Whale and everyone is ashamed is loving fantastic.

It does bother me that they kinda ignored that Space UK is still a dystopian nightmare society that enslaves children at the end.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 6, 2015

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man, remember when Moffat thought that being rushed and terrible and making no sense were bad things in stories? :v:

Beast Below is a bit sloppier than Eleventh Hour plotwise but it pulls together a bunch of emotional bits very effectively I thought. I've rewatched it a bunch of times and it still makes me tear up a bit at the end. I think Moffat's a lot better than Davies at establishing a loving bond between the main characters which isn't romantic, and Beast Below was the first time that really came across.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

There's also Amy's cold feet about getting married which when paired with the end of the Angels two parter could lead a person to think they were going back down the Rose rabbit hole.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

docbeard posted:

On a whim, I watched The Rings of Akhaten tonight (not for the first time), and I think it is officially my favorite Doctor Who story. (Yes, better than The Eleventh Hour, The Caves of Androzani, or any of the various Big Finish audios people are about to name.)

I can't think of anything else that presents both the premise and the ethos of Doctor Who so effectively, and Smith's and Coleman's performances are phenomenal.

I love that episode a hell of a lot, probably because I went into it with such low expectations and was blown away. Also the music in that episode (something I rarely notice) is soooo good.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

howe_sam posted:

There's also Amy's cold feet about getting married which when paired with the end of the Angels two parter could lead a person to think they were going back down the Rose rabbit hole.

Eh, even at the end of the Angels two parter there was Amy saying "I didn't have anything so long term in mind" and the Doctor being all EWWW HUMAN, which made it all much better than Rose's stupid sap right off the bat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Most importantly it's got his accusatory,"You were a little girl! :mad:" in there too :allears:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Eh, even at the end of the Angels two parter there was Amy saying "I didn't have anything so long term in mind" and the Doctor being all EWWW HUMAN, which made it all much better than Rose's stupid sap right off the bat.

Oh sure, but still, two out of the previous three companions (and Jack of course) had wanted to bang the Doctor so it felt like a continuation of that formula in the moment.

Then Amy's Choice came along. drat I love season 5.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I may eat my words, but I guessed a D for Amy's Choice based almost entirely on the fact that Occ said he hates "what if" episodes, which I assumed may extend to dream episodes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I went with a B this episode, but I'm regretting it now in light of how much he seems to love all of the stuff this episode is made of.

The whole "NO HUMAN IS ALLOWED TO SPEAK TO ME" thing is so full of himself, it was something that kind of nudged the episode in the wrong way for me because it felt like something Ten would say in a fit of I AM BETTER THAN YOU, when this is STILL childs play compared to what Time Lords have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Matt Smith delivered that line well, it really came across more as intensely disappointed than arrogant in the way Tennant would have done it.

• Locked thread