Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Even more damage from the Holiday sale. Christmas has won. :eng99:

NEW GAMES: Valiant Hearts, Assassin's Creed Freedom Cry, Shovel Knight, FOTONICA. For all practical purposes this has emptied my wishlist.

DONE FOR NOW: Melody's Escape. I got all the achievements. For an endless runner game that's as close to an end as it gets. I'll probably pick it up regularly as it get patches.

BEATEN: FOTONICA. Speaking of Endless Runner games. This one's in first person. Controls are a little unintuitive but it's pretty in a stark sort of way. Didn't overstay its welcome.

BEATEN: Gone Home. When did I get this? Must have been some bundle. Super well-implemented puzzleless adventure game. Story hangs together very well, implies a lot without outright stating it.

BEATEN: Super Win the Game. Cheery retro exploration platformer. Everything I liked about Knytt Stories, combined with things I liked in Knytt Underground and things I liked in Super Meat Boy. It doesn't mess around. It doesn't hold your hand very much. But this was a ton of fun if you've got decent platformer chops and like to hunt for secrets. This also makes the fifth year in a row that I ended the year by clearing a quirky platformer.

IN PROGRESS: DROD RPG. I'm past where I was when I played the demo. I haven't gotten much further because, well, see above.

THINKING ABOUT ALSO STARTING: Shovel Knight. Poked at this. It's all the great things. Tempting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Don't have a ton to say about these games but I made some progress in the past week to outbalance the Steam sale:

BEATEN: Binding of Isaac Rebirth (technically)
BEATEN: Hector Badge of Courage Ep 1
BEATEN: Magicians & Looters - Excellent Metroidvania with slightly ugly art
BEATEN: Octodad Dadliest Catch
BEATEN: Abyss Odyssey (on the third run?? is that normal??)

On the console side:

BEATEN: Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)
BEATEN: Parasite Eve (PS1)
BEATEN: SMT Devil Summoner (PS2)

Added: Rex Rocket, Call of Cthulhu, Roundabout, Analogue: A Hate Story, Bully, Shadowrun: Dragonfall, MGR Revengeance, Kairo, Iron Fisticle, TRI: Of Friendship and Madness, Vagrant Story (PS1), Alundra (PS1)

Ongoing: Suikoden II, Picross e5, Super Panda Adventures, Kentucky Route Zero Acts II-III, Hector Badge of Courage Ep 2-3, Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Everything beaten from the last quarter of 2014.

Valiant Hearts: Every time Ubisoft pisses me off they release a game that leaves me speechless. At first I wasn't feeling the Saturday morning cartoon plotline with Baron von Dorf but the game wisely intersperses comedy with tragedy and the final chapter hits hard. This is like a playable Jacques Tardi comic, it's entertaining and beautiful.

Shadow of Mordor: This was a boring year for AAA games as far as I'm concerned but Mordor was a shot in the arm. I certainly can't look at open world action games like AssCreed and Batman the same again after the robust nemesis system. It lead to hilarious stories of orcs wearing paper bags hounding me from the bushes time and again.

Harvester: Hahahaha hohoho heeheehee heh ho. Even if it was intelligent about its video game violence satire it's still ruined by being a legitimately terrible game.

Wind Waker HD: Nostalgic memories tossed in a fire. Even with all the quality of life improvements it felt like a chore in the end even though the aesthetics are still strong.

Strider (2014): The surprise hit of 2014 for me. Not only is it a good Metroidvania, it's also the second best I played in 10 years. Fantastic bosses, a solid challenge (played at the highest difficulty), and I appreciate that all the power ups have both a utility and contextual use. My biggest problem with the Metroid/Zelda formula in recent years is that you'll sometimes get powers that do absolutely nothing except move you from point A to point B.

Dust: An Elysian Tail: The best Metroidvania I've played in 10 years! The character design takes some time to get used to but Dust is a great action platformer with art that rivals Vanillaware's output. And audio aside it was completed by a single person which is absolutely nuts.

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies: Definitely made up for the disappointing Apollo Justice. I wasn't feeling the first couple cases but it all paid off with an ending that might be my favorite in the series. And the transition from sprites to 3D models is perfect.

Rogue Legacy: Repetitive but enjoyable. Not much more I can say beyond that.

Banner Saga: Oregon Trail: Viking Simulator wrapped around a horrendously designed combat system. I look forward to the rest of the series provided they fix what is a terrible method of combat.

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: I wasn't expecting much from this. Portable Ops was okay but felt like a side story than a true Metal Gear game. Not only have I put more time in Peace Walker than any Metal Gear game it might actually be my all time favorite. I love the micro-mission design, I love kidnapping people, and using drawn cutscenes means the writers have to be brief in their exposition.

Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes: Gave me the taste for next-gen MGS that I wanted. Combine this gameplay with Peace Walker's robust subsystems and you've got GOTYAY.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'll keep an eye out for what you think of Rex Rocket, I was looking at that game but ended up getting Dust for my Metroidvania instead.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Been cutting down on my backlog drastically this week, mostly by nulling games I don't like and playing through the low-hanging fruit (e.g. the shorter games)

Beat: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Great platformer. Innovative controls, varied environments, great story and pacing. Doesn't take long to finish, but it's a nice experience.

Shelved: Broken Age
Played about an hour in and decided I wasn't in the mood for it. The story was a little bit weird, though the production values felt high. Might pick it up again later.

Beat: Beat Hazard
Really like this game. Nice (though intense) visuals, and makes for a nice way to listen to music. Got to the "Elite" ranking after playing through a few of my favorite songs. I can see the gameplay itself getting repetitive after awhile, but the replay value should be immense.

Nulled: Capsized
Eh. Played through a couple levels and wasn't very impressed. The controls didn't feel fluid, the art style wasn't interesting and everything just felt cheap. Not for me.

Completed (100%): Viscera Cleanup Detail: Shadow Warrior
Almost nulled this one in the first few mintes until I figured out how to manage my mop bucket and waste bins. Appealed to my inner OCD. I picked up the achievements for sanitizing every inch of the temple. I don't know why something so dull held my attention for 3 hours, but there you go. And it was free! (with Shadow Warrior)

Nulled: Steel Storm: Burning Retribution
Seemed like a mediocre top-down shooter. Didn't really like what I saw from the first few minutes so I decided to give some other games a try instead.

Nulled: Alien Breed 2: Assault
Same story as the other nulls above. Felt cheap/old and not really worth my time compared to other junk in my backlog.

Nulled: AaAaAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity
I like this game but it looks like I lost my old save files. I remember getting stuck about ~4 hours in years ago and I don't really feel like getting back to that point right now.

Nulled: Receiver
Hey it's like QWOP, but for guns! Feels like a proof of concept more than anything else. Didn't really like it.

Nulled: Stealth Bastard Deluxe
I didn't really like the art style, or the gameplay. Got through the first few missions but didn't really feel like investing the time to go further.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The second part of Broken Age comes out sometime this quarter and they promised it's far longer and more involved. At least wait until it's 100% complete.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed - Super Mario 3D World: This was a really good entry in the series. The new cat power up was surprisingly better than I thought it would be. As is usual in the recent entries, the main game is fairly easy, and the bonus levels are slightly challenging (with the final level being controller-throwing frustrating). I'm missing five stamps, but the requirements to get them are to beat every level with every character, which is the kind of crap I hate.

As a side note, the Captain Toad levels were awesome, and I'm glad they made a full game out of them (which will be added to my backlog soon).

ACPaco
Jan 3, 2009

:420: party everyday :420:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoGxA48HQ1g

NEW
E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
The Forest
South Park: The Stick of Truth
The Wolf Among Us
Crusader: No Remorse
Dead Space 3
Nam
Damned
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Escape Goat
Goat Simulator
Crypt of the NecroDancer
FEZ
METAL SLUG X
Serious Sam 3: BFE
The Stanley Parable
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Skullgirls

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Beaten: Strider 2014

Short, but really good! It doesn't have as much meat to it as a Metroid or Castlevania game, but it's recognizeably from the same heritage. Remembering how thoroughly the original kicked my rear end I played it on easy, and that may have been too easy; I only died twice and found that explosive kunai trivialized most bosses. My biggest complaint is that the world doesn't really connect in any convenient way and Panther Run is a rubbish fast travel system, so if you want to backtrack to collect all of the items (most of which don't show up on the map at all) you are in for a long, hard slog. I didn't particularly care about 100%ing it and just got all the ability/stat upgrades before going and trashing the final boss.

Nulled: Unepic (laptop game)

I find myself playing Dungeonmans on the laptop with no desire to return to Unepic; I can't point to any one thing I dislike about it but it consistently fails to hold my interest. This was its last chance.

Now Playing: Mark of the Ninja SE (replay)

I played this a while ago and loved it; it's one of the few games I consider Mastered. The Special Edition adds a new level set 40 years before the events of the game proper, a new Path that can carry more items but can only knock out, not kill, and adds developer commentary to every level. It's the commentary I'm mostly replaying the game for, although I still can't bring myself not to play at least No Alarms.

I'm using the Path of Nightmares this time. :unsmigghh:

Now Playing: Dungeonmans (laptop game)

This game is really accessible and looks pretty, but don't let that fool you, it will kill you dead if you let it.

On Deck

Not sure what I'll play after Mark of the Ninja, but it might be finally time to play Wasteland 2.

Starhawk64 posted:

I can see why you nulled Viscera Cleanup Detail, it is mind-numbing work but I think that's the point. I find the games strangely relaxing but hey different strokes.

Yeah, I can see how some people might find it relaxing, possibly the same people who can sort of zone out and meditate when actually pushing a mop around, or doing other repetitive tasks like knitting. I can't; I need something else to engage my brain while I'm doing that. I could probably play Viscera Cleanup Detail with a book propped up against the monitor, but in that case I'd rather just read.

It's one of those games where I can appreciate that it exists but not something I'd ever enjoy myself.

dhamster posted:

Nulled: Steel Storm: Burning Retribution
Seemed like a mediocre top-down shooter. Didn't really like what I saw from the first few minutes so I decided to give some other games a try instead.

"Mediocre" is, if anything, too kind to it. :v:

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Beat: The Swapper
Cool existential themes, clever (but fair) puzzles, really neat game mechanics, nice atmosphere. Story seemed good except for the fact that the dialogue was hard for me to make out at times without subtitles. Still, a really nice (albeit short) experience.

Beat: Talisman: Digital Edition
Played and won a round, played a little bit more and mostly lost interest after that. I love me some digital board games, but this one relied a little bit too much on dicerolling for my tastes. The number of meaningful decisions I could make per minute seemed pretty low. Some character classes seemed way more powerful than others and the in-game menus try hard to sell their DLC. Probably won't play much of this game in the future.

Nulled: SpeedRunners
Well, it's multiplayer. Came close to winning a full round but choked before I could get my third win. The core of the gameplay is quite fun, but there are a lot of things that drag it down. Plus I have a hard time getting in to a game with PewDiePie as a playable character (albeit via DLC).

Started: Valkyria Chronicles
After getting my "Unfinished" percentage down to ~60% for the first time in a long time I started to realize that I was neglecting longer games that I'd been wanting to try in favor of shorter games that I could knock out in an afternoon. So I decided to try a longer game on my list, Valkyria Chronicles. Three hours in and really liking this game so far. Really polished and well-thought-out SRPG gameplay, decent story, and a really nice aesthetic. Plus it has the same guy who directed Skies of Arcadia. I can see myself putting a lot of hours into this one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

dhamster posted:

Beat: Talisman: Digital Edition
Played and won a round, played a little bit more and mostly lost interest after that. I love me some digital board games, but this one relied a little bit too much on dicerolling for my tastes. The number of meaningful decisions I could make per minute seemed pretty low. Some character classes seemed way more powerful than others and the in-game menus try hard to sell their DLC. Probably won't play much of this game in the future.
Congratulations, you just nailed every major (and exceptionally valid) complaint that people have with that decades-old game in one fell swoop.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

COMPLETE - Hexcells
Brilliant puzzle game, but judging how many times I had to restart stuff to perfect the levels, the sequel is probably going to be too hard for me. I'm also a bit worried that my main fault seems to be an inability to count.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Completed - Fez - I think enough has been written about this game (and Phil Fish). I used a guide to get everything because hell if I'm going to figure some of that insane poo poo out on my own.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Completed - Fez - I think enough has been written about this game (and Phil Fish). I used a guide to get everything because hell if I'm going to figure some of that insane poo poo out on my own.

To be fair, figuring out Fez on my own was like God himself reaching down and scratching my itchy brain.

Well, maybe not like that, but it was extremely satisfying.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hello, my name is kalstrams, and I'm buying more games than I play.

Kicked off this year by beating One Finger Death Punch and A.R.E.S.:
  • Former is a 10 hour (per difficulty level) long QTE which is quite cool if you used to like stickman fighting videos or flash animations/games. Despite having skill system, it's fairly simplistic game.
  • Latter is a 3 hour long action platformer with mediocre everything and poor coding.

Edit: Fortune cookie got me Hitman: Codename 47 to play next.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Jan 7, 2015

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

BEAT - Gone Home
Neither get the great hate or the praise for this game. It was a fun enough walking simulator and I enjoyed exploring, but not enough to make absolutely sure I've pieced everything together.

COMPLETE - The Room
Excellent puzzle game that doesn't overstay it's welcome. Maybe could have used a slightly larger variety of puzzles, but that's more or less splitting hairs. Can anyone confirm there's nothing hidden in the game other than the main path?

NOW PLAYING

A Story About My Uncle

Many thanks to Testekill for this. I expect it'll give me carpal tunnel in a day or two.

Stick It To The Man
Another game that I've been wanting to play for ages. It showing up in a bundle was hella good news.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

kalstrams posted:

Edit: Fortune cookie got me Hitman: Codename 47 to play next.

Hitman is hard to recommend because its sequels do pretty much the same thing, but better in every way. If you like the concept but find it too clunky or unforgiving to enjoy, consider nulling it and skipping straight to Hitman: Blood Money.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ToxicFrog posted:

Hitman is hard to recommend because its sequels do pretty much the same thing, but better in every way. If you like the concept but find it too clunky or unforgiving to enjoy, consider nulling it and skipping straight to Hitman: Blood Money.
Thanks, I will see how it goes. First and only Hitman game I have played is Absolution, which I didn't find amazing, but I have been told older stuff is better.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

You should at least move to Contracts before Blood Money. Contracts is like the Greatest Hits of the original game with all the updated mechanics but Blood Money refines the formula so much that you don't want to go back to the previous games.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Hi everyone. I finally realized I have a problem and started tackling my backlog over the past few weeks. I managed to not buy anything in the Holiday Sale, even.

BEAT - Guacamelee
Seemed like a good way to start my backlog. This game turned out to be a lot of fun. Progression was good, story was amusing, gameplay was solid.

BEAT - Dust: An Elysian Tail
Played this after Guacamelee and jumped right into hard mode feeling confident from that. Almost gave up because there was so much going on that I could never see enemy attacks coming, and all I was doing was button mashing which isn't the most exciting gameplay. I didn't really like how the solution to difficult enemies just seemed to be leveling up so I could survive a few hits or kill them faster. I pushed through for the story which was alright, and I even managed to get most areas to 100%, though not all. I felt completely unprepared when I finally came across enemies late in the game that I couldn't button mash to kill, I had to take a step back and learn how to use fidget finally.

NULL - Antichamber
I'm not finding any fun here, just frustration and WTF. Seems like just a lot of trial and error and running around looking for new paths.

NULL - Awesomenauts
One match was enough to realize I don't like this game.

Not sure what to tackle next. Maybe Bastion, which I played a bit of and liked when I first got it, or Mass Effect 3 which I started after playing 1 & 2 in succession but didn't finish yet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's unfortunate you had such a tough time in Dust because I felt it was really easy except for some lame environmental traps which deal like 3/4 of your health each hit (on hard at least). All the enemies had clear tells and only a few towards the end were really challenging like the scythe harpy-monster that retaliates immediately to every attack.

Fidget is definitely far better than the game lets on. Also the game does a poor job of explaining parrying. In most action games you parry by attacking at the same time as an enemy but here you hold down attack and there's about a 3 second window in that frame where you'll actually parry an enemy attack. It was weird getting used to but mastering it makes fights a breeze. Mid game I had a bunch of regeneration items that I literally never had to use healing items.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

Yeah it wasn't so much not knowing the tells, but actually seeing them when there's a bunch of enemies crowded on the screen and I can't watch them all. Basically I spent a majority of the game just mashing X which worked well enough, then towards the end I switched to just spamming fidget attacks. I relied heavily on food to stay alive but it wasn't a problem with two 3x item drop rings. I had more food than I needed, and a ridiculous amount of blueprints. Coming straight from Guacamelee which forced me to use different attacks constantly it started to feel repetitive. Anyway I made it through, and overall I'd say it's a good game and was worth the time spent.

I did figure out the parry window early on. I actually died a lot on that first giant, and couldn't get past it until I figured out the parry.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease
NULLED: Far Cry 2 - I've put 15 hours in to this game now, and I was enjoying it for the most part, but it has gotten really stale and repetitive. It's just: walk/drive to point, get mission to kill/retrieve something, go to place, get attacked by every single person you come across along the way, kill/retrieve something, repeat. The respawning guard posts that get harped on wouldn't be nearly so annoying if it weren't for the fact that EVERYBODY you come across will go out of their way to kill you. And all you get for fighting back is wear and tear on your weapons. After getting ambushed yet again on my way to yet another "kill this guy" quest, I've decided I don't care any more, I'm done with this.

Raging Mule
Jan 17, 2007
For Far Cry 2, I recommend Dylans mod:

Realistic weapon damage, recoil, realistic ammo loads and weapon reliability have been added, along with a more effective stealth suit, and revamped AI weapons. (No more SPAS12s and AR15s for militiamen).

Checkpoint AI has been tweaked as well. Checkpoint guards now have a 60% chance to chase you after passing through, as opposed to 90%-100% in vanilla.

Militiamen also communicate more frequently in combat, and use suppressing fire more often.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I liked Far Cry 2 weirdly while hating 1 and 3. The environment was really cool, you play as the villain, your objectives only get meaner an more destructive, the combat is relentless, the ai was pretty good, flamethrower tactics. Getting from a to b was legit awful though. What mitigated some of it was there were bus stops that would take you to the different corners of the map.

Raging Mule
Jan 17, 2007
Definitely use the bus stops, it will save you a lot of grief (checkpoints). Using boats can help too since you can normally speed past ground targets. You can usually switch to your boat gun to take out water targets while you're coasting. I really enjoyed the FC2 gunplay and starting wildfires.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

The Steam sales did major damage to my backlog. I really must remember to not get involved in the 2015 sales, no matter what. I have enough games to play already.

PLAYED: Endless Space. It's nicely polished and all, but it bored me into a coma, mostly because there's nothing new or interesting about it. A very generic sci-fi 4X game.

COMPLETED: Majesty II: Monster Kingdom. The developers *finally* got the hang of this whole game design thing, and the last Majesty II expansion is probably the most fun I've ever had with the Majesty series. That said, I'm very happy that the game is now uninstalled forever.

PLAYED: Moonbase Commander. It's fun for a couple of hours, but eventually you'll find that the game is very very repetitive. Didn't finish.

PLAYED: Shovel Knight. I played for a bit, but the missable things turned me off. This game is a completionist's nightmare. Why didn't anyone tell me I could dig up the campfire for more gems? Or that the dream sequences come with a power-up? That said, I'm pretty sure I'm going to reinstall it at some point; unusual for a game I've marked as Did Not Finish.

COMPLETED: Bioshock I. This is a fantastic game. It wasn't as amazing as it would have been on release though, mostly because I've played a number of newer games that stole shamelessly from it. Still very much worth your time and money

PLAYED: Leviathan: Warships. This game's main problem is that the level designers weren't talking to the rest of the design team. For example, the ships are all realistically slow to manoeuvre, but the levels are small and cramped, so your fleet ends up taking massive amounts of collision damage from friendlies and sinking. Not recommended.

Next up: I was stupid enough to buy the Watch_Dogs season pass, so I guess I'll have to play the DLC for that. After that... I can't decide. Child of Light? A Game of Dwarves? Reinstall Shovel Knight? So many choices...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

EightDeer posted:

PLAYED: Shovel Knight. I played for a bit, but the missable things turned me off. This game is a completionist's nightmare. Why didn't anyone tell me I could dig up the campfire for more gems? Or that the dream sequences come with a power-up? That said, I'm pretty sure I'm going to reinstall it at some point; unusual for a game I've marked as Did Not Finish.
Okay, wow. First off, if you're stressing out about missing a bit of money from a campfire, just stop. You realize you can replay beaten levels for more money, right? Some dream sequences have chests after you wake up. It's kind of impossible to miss those, though, unless you do so on purpose. So, whatever you thought you were missing out on, you almost certainly aren't. And even if you somehow do, you can get them on New Game+.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Grinding through the holiday damage before getting back to the old backlog.

BEATEN: A City Sleeps. I know shmups tend to be short, but I was kinda expecting more than three levels here, even if the difficulty levels mean there's more configuration later. Also the achievements seem bugged out.
BEATEN: Eryi's Action. Is kind of aiming in the same vicinity as the Karoshi games in that it's a platformer that is openly about loving with the player. It actually tries to stick to that a little more than the Karoshi games did, but the end result is still that the fun part is puzzling out what is supposed to happen. (As far as I'm concerned, the Karoshi games went so far in that direction that they turned into flat-out lateral-thinking puzzle games.) The "ha ha, gently caress you, player" pratfalls don't often rise above the level of "invisible spikes, maybe be somewhere else next time" which is lame (see also LIMBO), but there were a couple places where they did manage to get some actual comedy out of more primitive building blocks.
COMPLETED: Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons. It's as good as everyone says, and for pretty much the reasons they say it. Manages "dark and scary" way the gently caress better than LIMBO ever did, despite being way less lethal.
COMPLETED: World of Xeen. Thoroughly looted all the dungeons, got every named achievement, took down every globally unique monster, and conquered the ridiculous crossword puzzle dungeon to both named achievements.
GIVING UP FOR NOW: Defy Gravity. I played until achieving the "Master Gravitymancer" level and then the levels got finicky enough that I stopped having fun.
GIVING UP FOR NOW: DROD RPG - Tendry's Tale. It's neat, but optimization puzzles of this scale require more energy than I've been able to spare lately.

On deck: The obvious choices are Shovel Knight, Costume Quest 2, Valiant Hearts, or Freedom Cry, but I'm considering doing another pass through the old neglected stuff like Darksiders, Shadowrun Returns, Might and Magic 8, or Zeno Clash 2.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Poison Mushroom posted:

Okay, wow. First off, if you're stressing out about missing a bit of money from a campfire, just stop. You realize you can replay beaten levels for more money, right? Some dream sequences have chests after you wake up. It's kind of impossible to miss those, though, unless you do so on purpose. So, whatever you thought you were missing out on, you almost certainly aren't. And even if you somehow do, you can get them on New Game+.

Also you get so much money in that game that it quickly becomes meaningless. Just do what a Shovel Knight do and have fun playing it.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

Yodzilla posted:

Also you get so much money in that game that it quickly becomes meaningless. Just do what a Shovel Knight do and have fun playing it.

In my defence: I might have a touch of the 'tism.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
BEATEN / COMPLETED PILE:

BEATEN: Killer is Dead - This was a long time coming, I even posted this here on the thread:

"Dear Sudo 51, please release 'No More Heroes' on the PC someday. I bought [Killer is Dead] in the faint hopes that if it did well enough on Steam, it would warrant more of your games to flock over to the PC. Hope you are well and haven't been carted off to a mental asylum, love PowerBeard.
P.S. And I guess also 'Lollipop Chainsaw', though I haven't any idea why people liked it."

The game is pure bonkers, but I've played better versions of this game though. No More Heroes 1 + 2 had more heart, I've heard amazing things about Metal Gear Rising: Revengance and Vanquish, so it's difficult to recommend this one as everything feels off. Combat is stiff as hell, yet manageable since there's only about 5-6 enemy types. The music and voice acting is appalling, even for a Sudo 51 / Grasshopper Manufacturer joint. Finally the colour scheme and art style is supposed to be an homage for Killer 7, but it makes the game too painful to play. I cannot recommend it, even if it somehow convinced Sudo 51 / Grasshopper Manufacturer to release more of their games on PC.

BEATEN: Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD - I struggled with trying to install Assassin's Creed 3 onto my new computer, since UPlay is being a massive pain to download programs from. I promptly Nulled it and decided to give Liberation a try. It turns out I made the right choice. From what I played of AC3, Connor seemed like an unlike-able rear end in a top hat, yet Aveline is a character who had more depth and personality to her in the first 2 hours than Connor could ever have. The game definitely feels like a port, but the clothing mechanics makes sense in the time frame, where the Assassin outfit plays like AC1 where even the slightest false move can gently caress up your afternoon, the Slave outfit allows you to blend in with the crowds and organise riots and the Dress allows you to murder everyone with your umbrella and pocket pistol.

Then you unlock the whip and the game switches to Django Unchained mode, where you can slaughter the white man everyone with ease and a satisfying crack! :black101:

I'd recommend this to anyone who wants a refined AC game that only takes about 15 hours to complete, but has plenty of side missions to keep you busy.

BEATEN: The Longest Journey: Dreamfall Chapters: Chapter 1 - I'm pretty disappointed so far, I'm not going to lie. This part felt far too short, the characters felt stilted in both voice acting and how they were written. Hopefully they will improve things, but so far I cannot recommend them.

COMPLETED: Call of Duty 11 - Advanced Warfare - I enjoyed this far more than I thought I would, I was expecting another Ghosts, where all that really changed was the gun names and the minority army I was fighting. It just makes me want to play a new Battlefield 2142 even more now.

TO BE PLAYED:
  • Bound By Flame - This is reminding me a lot of Kingdom's of Amalur, which I enjoyed the heck out of. But I also played through their previous game, Mars: War Logs and I can only hope the game doesn't drag on.
  • Call of Duty 11 - Advanced Warfare - Laser guns and Laser Kevin Spacey. At least it's not Ghosts.
  • Drunken Robot Pornography - This is crazy fun and bright and I can't stop dodging lasers!
  • The Swapper - This is creepy as hell, but I'm loving the setting / gameplay.
  • Tron 2.0 - This game feels so retro. I've had to train myself to Quick Save all over again. Still great fun though.

PowerBeard fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 12, 2015

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Been a while since I gave an update, I nulled a whole bunch of games. I'm being a lot harsher on backlogged games that usually came bundled with another game. I've started them up once, I liked them, but I never actually play them, anticipating on some situation of extreme boredom. Sunk cost fallacy and all that. These are usually older games too, such as Call of Duty 2 or Rome: TW.

Current stats:

144 unfinished of which 63 are unplayed
67 beaten
5 completed
92 nulled

Still updating.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BEATEN: Super Panda Adventures - Ugly but extremely solid Metroidvania. Feels like a long lost Apogee game (looks like one too). Fast combat, good upgrade paths, hidden collectables that make you super beastly.
BEATEN: Rex Rocket - Competent game but not as solid as the above. The first Megamanvania, with spike traps, disappearing platforms, lots of bosses, decent music, and tight platforming. Difficulty curve needlessly spikes after getting the jetpack, not sure why they did that, but I still beat the game.
BEATEN: Hexcells - No logic puzzle game can beat Square Logic on Steam, but Hexcells is the 2nd best. Plays somewhere inbetween Minesweeper and Picross.
BEATEN: Hexcells Plus - More puzzles, I had some issues with this one because it felt like I needed to guess more often than I should have to. I dunno what logical gap I was not leaping that the game expected from me.
BEATEN: Thirty Flights of Loving - Another game in the Gravity Bone series, which means, extremely short (10-15min) and extremely stylized. Probably only worth a buck at most, to experience it once. Just bein' honest.
BEATEN: Picross e5 - I'm out of logic puzzles on 3DS noooo!! Luckily SquareLogic is on iPad :getin:
BEATEN: Suikoden II - Better than the first in some ways and worse in others. Not Top 5 RPGs Ever like some claim. Battle system unfucked with, solid sequel amenities, story seemed to treat war atrocities a little too... Saturday morning cartoony. And in the end a character that played a passive and active role in such atrocities gets away scot-free and you run off together. Fast travel still given to you WAY TOO LATE in the game, in my opinion. I dunno why jRPGs do this, give it to me upfront!!

ADDED: Magical Starsign, Rhythm Heaven, Again, Spectrobes: Origins, Jake Hunter, Legaia 2, Nostalgia

NOW PLAYING: Uncharted: Drake's Bullet Sponge Fest, SquareLogic (challenge puzzles only), Hector Badge of Carnage (Episode 2), Kentucky Route Zero (Act II)

STEAM TRACKER:
Games Beaten: 268 (50.3%)
Played/Playing: 123 (23.1%)
Unplayed: 43 (8.1%)
Nulled: 98 (18.4%)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jan 20, 2015

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Quest For Glory II posted:

BEATEN: Hexcells Plus - More puzzles, I had some issues with this one because it felt like I needed to guess more often than I should have to. I dunno what logical gap I was not leaping that the game expected from me.
The great thing about all the pre-made puzzles in the three Hexcells games is that there is a solution to all of them without you having to guess blindly. A few of the puzzles are really drat hard, and if you played them like me, where one single mistake equalled a restart, they can be quite challenging.
The auto-generated puzzles in Hexcells Infinite are all pretty easy and nowhere as fun as the pre-made ones, but I still play a few once in a while as they are great way to relax, listen to music and empty your head after a hard day at work.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Fart of Presto posted:

The great thing about all the pre-made puzzles in the three Hexcells games is that there is a solution to all of them without you having to guess blindly. A few of the puzzles are really drat hard, and if you played them like me, where one single mistake equalled a restart, they can be quite challenging.

If you play them like me where one false step (99% of the time the result of clicking the wrong mouse button like a god damned idiot over and over) causes you to take a screen shot and then mindlessly click through to where you were before the idiotic misstep - it gets really annoying.

drat good puzzle game though. But seriously. I understand "ARE YOU SURE, YOU DUMB rear end" pop up warning boxes more now. I'd swear to god 19 of 20 mistakes I made were not logic error based - just complete stupidity.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Started: Shovel Knight

Big fan of this so far. One of the best "retro" games I've played. Tight controls, great art style, thoughtful level and gameplay design, killer soundtrack. Glad I picked this one up during the sale.

Nulled: LYNE

It was kind of cool at first but started to feel kind of samey after the 3rd level set (25 puzzles each). Might have been better as a tablet game. Very minimalist style and the puzzles require some thought, but it just doesn't feel like there is enough there to keep me interested.

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

STEAM TRACKER:
Games Beaten: 268 (50.3%)
Played/Playing: 123 (23.1%)
Unplayed: 43 (8.1%)
Nulled: 98 (18.4%)

May I ask how you are able to play through/beat so many games so quickly? Some of the games are not exactly short, too.
Am I just slow?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

saucerman posted:

May I ask how you are able to play through/beat so many games so quickly? Some of the games are not exactly short, too.
Am I just slow?
Just to give some hour counts of recent games:

Super Panda Adventures - 8hr
Rex Rocket - 6hr
Hexcells - 6hr
Hexcells Plus - 18hr (I think i left this one running by mistake, probably closer to the first game's time)
Thirty Flights of Loving - 31min (very short game)
Picross e5 - infinity hours, played it before going to sleep most nights, now that goes to Everyday Square Logic (which i completed all the challenge puzzles of so I guess that's "beaten" so to speak)
Suikoden II - 30hr
Hector Badge of Courage Ep 1 - 2hr
Magicians & Looters - 5hr
Octodad Dadliest Catch - 4hr
Abyss Odyssey - 4hr

That's what I've done since (and during) the winter sale. I completed a lot more games over the summer compared to now, but I've been playing long-rear end JRPGs a lot lately which has been killing my ability to dash through my backlog. But that's okay. I just don't have the spare time now that I did during the holidays (and way less than the summer). So I'm playing whatever right now. Mostly on console at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Beat: Steamworld Dig Pretty fun game, probably won't replay it but I got my money's worth for sure. I'd recommend this for $5 or under.

Beat: Tomb Raider: Legend Or considering this beaten, because I'm crashing non-stop once I get to the first Young Lara sequence. Always at the first obstacle, where I step off the wood platform and have to roll/crawl through the crawlspace thing. Shame, I actually like these games. I did some looking online for fixes, got nowhere fast with the suggestions, and said gently caress It. I'll probably install and beat Tomb Raider: Underworld before going into the 2013 remake, but that's a bit down the road...need a break from raiding tombs.

And just like that, 2 games down in 2015.