Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It's not necessary even if you aren't running into the buff limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Manatee Cannon posted:

It's not necessary even if you aren't running into the buff limit.

Of course none of it's necessary, but you might as well go big or go home.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man I'm trying to like this game but it just feels so bland. :smith:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

How exactly do time limits on requests work? I've not had any run out, but I'll occasionally get warnings I'm about to hit one. I kind of think it might be finishing the current labyrinth, but I'm not sure.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

How exactly do time limits on requests work? I've not had any run out, but I'll occasionally get warnings I'm about to hit one. I kind of think it might be finishing the current labyrinth, but I'm not sure.

They expire two floors after the floor where the request first appears. I think it might be slightly more relaxed for the final dungeon, but not too sure since I don't think any of the requests there are timed.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
For anyone who's been playing/finished this and said to themselves, "You know, I could play another game like this if it couldn't be snapped in half just by choosing one particular character and murdering every FOE, and maybe smaller labyrinths would be nice too", Etrian Odyssey 4 is the game for you. I started up a new game of it shortly after finishing this, and pretty much everything you learn from this game carries over really well. It also has a great soundtrack and you get a :krad: airship to fly around in 20-30 minutes into the game.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

This is good advice.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

KingEffingFrost posted:

For anyone who's been playing/finished this and said to themselves, "You know, I could play another game like this if it couldn't be snapped in half just by choosing one particular character and murdering every FOE, and maybe smaller labyrinths would be nice too", Etrian Odyssey 4 is the game for you.

The labyrinths aren't that much smaller actually. There's just 2-3 small ones in each Land and then one rather large one. All together there's about the same amount of ground to cover. And once you get team powers you can kind of still murder a lot of the FOEs. Still a great game though.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I'm stuck on one of the spiders on floor 8 of the Clock Tower. I just couldn't figure out the trick to getting by them, so I started fighting them. I've managed to take out a few of them, but this one just won't go down, since I can't manage to panic it before it starts using Mamudoon and Mahamaon to take everyone out.:/

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Nessa posted:

I'm stuck on one of the spiders on floor 8 of the Clock Tower. I just couldn't figure out the trick to getting by them, so I started fighting them. I've managed to take out a few of them, but this one just won't go down, since I can't manage to panic it before it starts using Mamudoon and Mahamaon to take everyone out.:/

These are the web spiders right? The key is to figure out the rules of their movement. They're very specific, think "a Knight in chess, with a rocket booster strapped to the horse".

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Nessa posted:

specifically, they can only jump to other web tiles in a straight line from where they are, and they jump three times whenever you step on a web tile, so you need to lure them around until they're more than three jumps away from the tile you need to pass through.

edit: spoilered i guess in case you want to figure it out yourself.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

That's how you're supposed to deal with them? I always just abused the fact that they were looking in one direction to get free advantages on them. They go down easy when you get an extra turn.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

What's the best way to grind up some levels. I just got to the final boss and I'm only at 65 and that seems low.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Len posted:

What's the best way to grind up some levels. I just got to the final boss and I'm only at 65 and that seems low.

The bonus boss at the fourth labyrinth is your most reliable bet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Len posted:

It isn't. I was at a lower level than that when I beat the final boss.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't. I was at a lower level than that when I beat the final boss.

Yes but you apparently have godly luck and can actually use panic on bosses. I've still not gotten to panic any boss.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Len posted:

Yes but you apparently have godly luck and can actually use panic on bosses. I've still not gotten to panic any boss.

Have you tried running Salome's Kiss with Binding Hands? What's really useful for bosses is making sure they can't dodge, so an agility bind would work just as well for your Myriad Arrows users.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Len posted:

I did the final boss fight with only one panic landing at the very end at around level 70. It's not that bad.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Apparently the spider is immune to panic? At least that's what the megaten wiki tells me.

Now I just have to figure out why the second all the legs died all four came right back. This game started being unfun at the beginning of dungeon 4 and I just want it over with.

Impatom don't suppose you have qr codes for the personas you used to beat this guy with at lower levels than I am?

Edit: finally dropped the spider. Now time to get destroyed by the clockwork god.

Double edit: clockwork god was easier than the spider and lasted four turns compared to 30.

Len fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 5, 2015

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Neither spider's immune to panic, from what I remember.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ZeButler posted:

From what the wiki said the captor spider is immune to lots of poo poo.

http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Captor_Spider

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ZeButler posted:

They're talking about the penultimate boss, which is immune to statuses from what I remember.

It's also a fight with multiple targets, which takes the usual boss strategy of 'Panic then Myraid Arrows and Links' and throws a slight wrench in. I was suddenly glad I brought Shinjiro because Whirlwind Swing. Agility Bind makes the fight go a lot more smoothly, as well as Masukukaja (hooray for Koro).

The final boss was much easier.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Conversely, I found the spider infinitely easier than the boss. The spider did basically nothing except regenerate legs, giving me free attacks on it when I annihilated the legs because I kept a full suite of elemental attacks on everyone. The final boss, meanwhile, resisted all my binds, Final Fantasy-style Doomed my entire party, and cast Diarahan every third turn.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Help I'm at the Inaba Pride Exhibit and I have no loving clue what i can do to make the P4MC good, what's my best bet with him?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Volt Catfish posted:

Help I'm at the Inaba Pride Exhibit and I have no loving clue what i can do to make the P4MC good, what's my best bet with him?

It's hard to gently caress up support with stuff like Mediarahan or buffs/debuffs not depending on stats.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

Your best bet is to build him as a buff/debuffer. He doesn't really excel at any physical combat or magical combat. His gimmick is being fairly durable in a game where that isn't really important.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Len posted:

Beat the reaper three times and make three pieces of heavy gear, one of which is unique to whichever character you want it on. Then beat either the 3rd or 4th labyrinth bonus bosses and gain insane amounts of experience. I had to go to the 3rd labyrinth one because the exp gain was too high from the fourth one and caused my Chie to out level her sub Persona by a large amount.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Volt Catfish posted:

I made mine a linker/support guy.

P4/Chie/Kanji
P3/Naoto

P3 and Naoto are statuses, healing and magic attacks. Chie and Kanji are just hitting things very hard. P4 is in the front row and faster than Chie and Kanji so I just have him use elemental links, and otherwise he does random support stuff.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think I just kept Kaguya on him and gave him debuffs until the late game. Set up Lunar Blessing then do whatever until it runs out. Myriad Arrows is good even if your strength isn't stellar and the +10 to all stats accessory makes him about as good at everything as any other character. He had about as much strength as Aigis and was the fastest person on the team when I put that on him. Since his gimmick is to be average at everything he's the perfect fit for those accessories.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah, my P4MC has Kaguya and the +10 accessory as well, along with Death's Scythe and Myriad Arrows, because that's always a good combo. Have him use Lunar Blessing, then Heat Riser Kanji next turn, and watch the boss fall down dead.

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
I suspect this is a stupid question, but should I use everyone or stick to one party?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Aerofallosov posted:

I suspect this is a stupid question, but should I use everyone or stick to one party?

Stick to one party unless you want to make the game harder

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It's much easier to stick to one team. It takes a lot of time and money to level everyone, but it's not really an invalid choice if you chose to do so.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Aerofallosov posted:

Eventually you'll want both MCs at level 55, but that's around the 4th dungeon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Urgh Junpei why do you have to be inferior to Chie til level 55, you have good battle lines but your only banter is basically with Yukari.

It's also notable how much Yosuke is just Koromaru-lite.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I've pretty much turned the P4MC and Shinjiro immortal barring one shots, just through Absorb Wind on P4MC, and Return from Yomi (which seems to go off way more than it should) on both. This has become somewhat of a problem at times, because I finally just said "gently caress it" and turned it on Safety mode starting in the last Labyrinth. Sometimes I want the free HP/SP refill from a party wipe and can't get it because I forget to get God Mode off of those two.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
So I beat the game as both main characters and is there somewhere I could get their commemorative photo? I'd like it as a wallpaper or something, it's really cute.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm on the third floor of Group Date Cafe and I've settled into the routine of "cast Mahama, win" that will probably take up most of the game if it's anything like Persona 4. At least there you got Naoto quite late on so it wasn't as obvious.

I'm running P4MC and Kanji in front, and P3MC, Naoto and Aigis in the back, since I found the sword that causes panic and it only deals 1 damage anyway so why not put him in the back row. I'm not really sure what to do with P4MC though. Naoto has Impure Reach and a couple status attacks on top of Hama and Mudo stuff, Aigis has Pain Eater making her the tank, I've given Kanji two of the link skills with a third coming in a level or two, and P3MC I suppose will have the healing and support spells. P4MC is just kinda... there. Can't sub him out, either, since I took the Persona 4 route. At least the P4 version of the battle theme is better.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Is there a list of the characters who banter together? My team doesn't do much in the way of bantering in battle (MC3, Junpei, Akihiko, Zen, Naoto).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Is there a list of the characters who banter together? My team doesn't do much in the way of bantering in battle (MC3, Junpei, Akihiko, Zen, Naoto).

Its basically what you'd expect. Naoto and kanji, yukari and junpei, that sorta thing

• Locked thread