Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Critical
Aug 23, 2007

There is nothing original about this game. Everything is cribbed from something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Critical posted:

There is nothing original about this game. Everything is cribbed from something else.

I guess that's kind of the point but it's not even well done as an "homage" or whatever. It's just bland as all hell.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Luceid posted:

Actually nvm this is total poo poo but batteblock theatre was worse.

At least they tried to make it interesting.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
this is so energetic compared to that lovely run we had before it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Critical posted:

For starters, the characters are all from popular shoot 'em up series "Touhou".

Halo_BLEW
Jul 11, 2000

by Lowtax

Critical posted:

BBT wasn't bad and can actually be considered a well put together game, whether you like the content or not. This I can't defend at all.

Actually, Battleblock Theater was in development for over 5 years, and sold abysmally, even after many 90% off sales. It's a massive critical and commercial failure by nearly any metric.

Furthermore, contrasting that game, made by Behemoth a studio flush with funds from the highly successful Castle Crashers, to this fan game made out of passion for the material, isn't really possible.

Fulla Lizards!
Sep 12, 2004

Roonerspism posted:

Yeah Megamari is basically the perfect touhou fangame to run at one of these because it has no weird off-putting bullshit in it like this one and is also actually a good game

It still has the weird waifu border, though.

Critical posted:

Welcome to doujin games, basically.

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

13/f/cali posted:

I'd be up for a block hosted by Arino called Awesome Game Done Eventually.

Now this I can get behind, if they need people to make filler content, they need not look further than the master

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Dias posted:

Awesome Game Done Eventually (or not). It still takes a full week to complete.

Everyone would get confused when halfway through he gets up and leaves to go play around in a local arcade.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
This guy providing trivia on this tohou game is like the gooniest goon who ever gooned

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

Haruharuharuko posted:

I don't think this guy is alive

he has reached glorious anime nirvana

Halo_BLEW
Jul 11, 2000

by Lowtax

Al Borland posted:

Yeah, it's a real shame that the runner is actually attempting a speedrun and explaining the mechanics instead of laughing at his own jokes and yelling memes :rolleyes:

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Dias posted:

Is he drunk tho.

I hope so! If I was commenting on this run I'd definitely get blitzed beforehand

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Al Borland posted:

Nice av, very fitting

PotU
Jul 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whatever their existences must be hell so im glad they at least get to have some fun and distraction from the ongoing horrors of their daily life

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Halo_BLEW posted:

Actually, Battleblock Theater was in development for over 5 years, and sold abysmally, even after many 90% off sales. It's a massive critical and commercial failure by nearly any metric.

Furthermore, contrasting that game, made by Behemoth a studio flush with funds from the highly successful Castle Crashers, to this fan game made out of passion for the material, isn't really possible.

There is nothing "passionate" about what I'm watching right now.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Critical posted:

It's made for people who literally need to look at little girls to get anything done.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Halo_BLEW posted:

I don't think you know what failure means, it was extremely well received by critics.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Goddamnit GBS is leaking again.

What if I said the runner flew from Brazil to AGDQ to run this game?

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

Halo_BLEW posted:

Wikipedia posted:

BattleBlock Theater has received mainly positive reviews, with a Metacritic rating of 85. GamesRadar gave the game 4.5/5 stars, praising varied stages and extensive multiplayer modes. Destructoid gave the game 9/10, calling it "a hallmark of excellence". Official Xbox Magazine also gave the game 9/10, praising its vast content and community features, as did Eurogamer, who called it "a masterclass in pure game design." IGN gave the game a score of 7.8, praising inventive level design, but criticising the platforming gameplay in comparison to other titles like Super Meat Boy and Braid. Den of Geek! (US) gave it a score of 9.4/10, saying, 'the game makes for a great team-building exercise, or a backhanded way of saying “I don’t want to be friends anymore.

I wouldn't say it was a critical failure. I remember it being lauded on release but it looked too generic indie for me. Maybe in a world where Super Meat Boy wasn't made I'd have found it exciting.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Poultron posted:

I don't think you know what failure means, it was extremely well received by critics.

It was a good game.

It was also a failure.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Get Innocuous! posted:

There is nothing "passionate" about what I'm watching right now.

Someone poured their blood, sweat, and tears into making these static anime banners. Someone else poured their heart and soul into making sure that every level was an homage to a key part of the source material in order to preserve the mature themes of the original writers.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dias posted:

Then international trafficking laws probably apply.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Haruharuharuko posted:

I don't think this guy is alive

The honest truth is, I'm not sure what makes this game good to speedrun. There's been very little explanation of why this game might be technically challenging; it just seems like a fairly rote platformer, and only interesting/appealing if you're already deeply invested in Touhou.

Also, I feel really bad in general if this game came out anytime in the last ten years, because this isn't exactly a showcase of high production values.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Dias posted:

Then someone wasted their money on an airplane ticket.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Dias posted:

I would say I'm glad he got to do something he enjoyed even if it is running an rear end in a top hat sucking ripoff baby girl game.

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

Let's just be glad its not a 100% run.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Zurreco posted:

Someone poured their blood, sweat, and tears into making these static anime banners. Someone else poured their heart and soul into making sure that every level was an homage to a key part of the source material in order to preserve the mature themes of the original writers.

I'm sure they poured a lot more of another fluid all over their hands when they were making it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
I'm kind of sad they couldn't find a chubby lolrandom girl to get the full collection of stereotypical anime people on cam at once

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Dias posted:

And boy are his arms tired

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Halo_BLEW posted:

I thought it was some indie game poo poo out in like six months. lmao

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Zurreco posted:

they poured their semen too i bet

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Dias posted:

Seeing as how Brazil is a major destination for Japanese emigrants, that doesn't surprise me.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Watching Battle Block Theater made me add it to my steam wishlist.

Watching this makes me feel like I'm being added to a watchlist.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!

Gamerofthegame posted:

It was a good game.

It was also a failure.

It was a commercial failure I guess (though I'm sure they've recouped the cost by now), but it was not a critical failure by any stretch of the imagination, bub

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Get Innocuous! posted:

they poured their semen too i bet

The verb is ~spilled~ :colbert:

e: "Once again it's another autoscroller..."

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that all the donators during this section have weeaboo names. But eh, money for charity.

Also, jesus christ, this clone of the SMB3 airship. They didn't even try. (And the runner's choking on it, ffs. How do you get a tournament spot when you take unnecessary damage in an autoscroller.)

tony police
Sep 22, 2006

Poultron posted:

I don't think you know what failure means,

Poultron posted:

it was extremely well received

Poultron posted:

by critics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
So is there anything worth watching tonight after this tragedy is through?

Not real familiar with the upcoming games.

• Locked thread