Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
Watchman's mirror is Annihilation, but the self-healing doesn't make up for its now super-slow ramp-up. I'd go for Fury rather than Carnage. It has better burst and AoE, which is what you really want while leveling, plus the 10-meter leap on Obliterate helps a lot for the spread-out packs that are so painful on a marauder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I hope that the warranty on my saberstaff is still valid 'cause I don't think it's supposed to do that.

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Hulk Smash! posted:

I hope that the warranty on my saberstaff is still valid 'cause I don't think it's supposed to do that.

The heck?

Let me know which one that is, please...

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

nonentity posted:

The heck?

Nooo, don't fix it, it looks awesome.

Did you make the new Rishi weapons btw? The ones you get after Forged Alliance. Because I love the blaster rifle, it looks so silly with stuff duct taped to it. The one operatives and vanguards get.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I also like how the rifle is taller than Treek.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Rosalind posted:

I'm Annihilation so I guess I'll respec to Carnage tonight. I really don't want to use Quinn though (who I believe is the healer right?) because he's super boring. At least Vette is hilarious during cutscenes.

Noooooooo! Don't use Carnage, use Fury. Fury is great, you kill things stupidly fast. At level 19, things die pretty fast, but once you get up to the point where Obliterate and Force Charge gives you rage building Force Screams, it becomes just silly. I can go Force Charge > Force Scream > Raging Burst > Obliterate > Ravage and just about anything is dead or close to it. With a bit of strategy, I can take on Heroic 2s solo, which is pretty great.

If you can gear up Vette decently, you don't need Quinn at all either. Just make sure to abuse the poo poo out of Cloak of Pain, and remember that its duration is reset every time you're attacked up to 30 seconds. Carry medpacks for that emergency heal, just in case. Between Fury spec and Vette, even packs of 3 strongs or 1 elite + 1 strong will melt before your DPS.

jwang fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 6, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I have a 55 Marauder and I'm thinking of coming back, but on the other hand, I prefer one handed sabers. If only Juggernaut's stance was better. (Basically wish I could get Jedi animations as an Imperial because everything else, story, look, voice is way better for Imps):negative: Is Marauder still decent after the 3.0 pass? And is there a skill to replace Force Burp? As well I saw they added an Atris and Kreia set, How expensive is it to get my KOTOR2 on?

And speaking of dubs, my favorite has to be the one where they replaced the Emperor with Hamil's Joker and Vader with Bane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agcc7w8YmHo

Eimi fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jan 6, 2015

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I have a referral thing if anyone's looking to click one:

http://www.swtor.com/r/vxsfND

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Ah what the hell, here's mine as well

http://www.swtor.com/r/B2NqrS

Also, no dub collection is complete without Brick Vader

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vskHXtPuvBk

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

nonentity posted:

The heck?

It's the stronghold defender saberstaff you get from the bounty area for 1 cert + 12k. It mostly seems to happen after heavy use of whatever the AOE saber spin ability is called. Saber sweep?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
These things are too small. :(

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

These things are too small. :(

Hahaha. Is it pedal powered? Little tikes Imperial Walker by Hasbro. Vroom! Voom! Wee!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hulk Smash! posted:

Hahaha. Is it pedal powered? Little tikes Imperial Walker by Hasbro. Vroom! Voom! Wee!

I put one on the guild ship so you can see how massive it truly is.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

I put one on the guild ship so you can see how massive it truly is.

Seems about right if it's meant to emulate one of these things:

It does look pretty cool. Just weird with you sitting in it. The scale seems off.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Marauder with Vette is perfectly viable, as long as you bring a healer for gold mobs or kite the hell out of them to avoid damage. Melt 'em before they do any real damage.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

GuyUpNorth posted:

Marauder with Vette is perfectly viable, as long as you bring a healer for gold mobs or kite the hell out of them to avoid damage. Melt 'em before they do any real damage.

What's the rule with this? Tanks take DPS companions, DPS take healers? Is there any rule actually? And what is the difference between a DPS Juggernaut vs a DPS Marauder?

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Chickenwalker posted:

What's the rule with this? Tanks take DPS companions, DPS take healers? Is there any rule actually? And what is the difference between a DPS Juggernaut vs a DPS Marauder?

DPS Jugg has more defensive cooldowns and a good bit of self healing.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

DPS jugg is also 4-5 buttons compared to the Marauder's 57. Marauders will pump out more damage in a skilled player's hands though.

As for companions, there's no rules. Roll with whoever you feel like, just remember to keep them well-geared and you should be fine. If you have Treek, forget all other companions and roll with her. She's tank/heals. Although, as of 3.0 a geared-out HK-57 will be a murder bot starting at 56 with the crafted purple droid parts.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Hulk Smash! posted:

DPS jugg is also 4-5 buttons compared to the Marauder's 57. Marauders will pump out more damage in a skilled player's hands though.

As for companions, there's no rules. Roll with whoever you feel like, just remember to keep them well-geared and you should be fine. If you have Treek, forget all other companions and roll with her. She's tank/heals. Although, as of 3.0 a geared-out HK-57 will be a murder bot starting at 56 with the crafted purple droid parts.

Apparently there's some contention because the Jugg is encroaching too closely on the Marauder's DPS.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Iron Tusk posted:

Apparently there's some contention because the Jugg is encroaching too closely on the Marauder's DPS.

Vengeance Juggs are supposed to be king poo poo right now (to the point where people are crying for a nerf).

The changes they made to Juggs are really, really good with 3.0. Even the little things like Enrage and Force Leap resetting after combat makes doing dailies and FPs much simpler without having to wait for the cooldown on them.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009

Medullah posted:

Vengeance Juggs are supposed to be king poo poo right now (to the point where people are crying for a nerf).

The changes they made to Juggs are really, really good with 3.0. Even the little things like Enrage and Force Leap resetting after combat makes doing dailies and FPs much simpler without having to wait for the cooldown on them.

Juggs are ridiculous right now. I'm about to give up on my sentinel that I've played since launch to play my guardian instead. There's basically no reason to be a sentinel.

Biowares take on dps classes is pretty dumb. To me, it makes the most sense to set the pure dps classes up as best dps across the board because they do not have the ability to tank or heal. If anything a melee dps like sentinel should be absolutely the top dps on a dummy, with gunslingers leading the ranged dps. Instead, bw wants all dps to be equal because they want to encourage diverse groups. That really negates the usefulness of a pure dps class. The cool downs and utility abilities on classes that have a heal or tank spec are very useful to have, so there should be some kind of trade off.

Why would you take a pure dps class when you can take a class like a commando who can put out as much, if not more, dps than a slinger and still help with battle res, cleanses, etc.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Is there any new class story stuff with Shadows of Revan, or can I shelve my Marauder and Scoundrel until I'm done playing through class stories until I'm ready to decide which one to choose for 51-60 content?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Colgate posted:

Is there any new class story stuff with Shadows of Revan, or can I shelve my Marauder and Scoundrel until I'm done playing through class stories until I'm ready to decide which one to choose for 51-60 content?

There's a very quick 1-quest long story thing on Rishi for each of the archetypes (i.e. Sith Warrior, BH, etc) but that's it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So which companion is ideal for me to use with my healing Operative? I'm at level 33 now and have been using Kaliyo pretty exclusively (just letting her tank and then keeping her HP topped off), but is that the right way to go? Personality-wise I find Vector more interesting, but if he makes levelling any faster, that would rule.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Thanks. I think I'll wait to do those, if it's only one quest.

I'm rather iffy doing anything endgamey at the moment because I've been having massive lag/ability delay issues, so anything that involves grouping I'm shying away from, since it makes even doing solo stuff even hard enough. It made the Esh'ka bonus quest genocide on Belsavis rather grueling with my Scoundrel.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Storril and I just 2-manned EV SM just for fun. Did feel kinda neat.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Drone posted:

So which companion is ideal for me to use with my healing Operative? I'm at level 33 now and have been using Kaliyo pretty exclusively (just letting her tank and then keeping her HP topped off), but is that the right way to go? Personality-wise I find Vector more interesting, but if he makes levelling any faster, that would rule.

Just a tip, gear up someone else when you are done with Voss.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

You should always use a DPS companion if you can, killing poo poo will be much faster. If you're a healer, you should be able to keep a DPS companion alive. If you're a DPS, you might need to use a healer (probably need to), and if you're a concealment ops or deception Assassin, you might need to use a tank to taunt.

Treek is a tank/healer which works well.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Medullah posted:

Storril and I just 2-manned EV SM just for fun. Did feel kinda neat.

And the first two bosses of EC. This is kinda fun. Don't think minefield is doable with a duo. :(

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

And the first two bosses of EC. This is kinda fun. Don't think minefield is doable with a duo. :(

Wasn't there someone wanting to run EC? You should find that guy.

Anyhow, this week is looking bad for me, but I plan to be around next week to help with the annual post-holiday raid group rebuilding. Every year we have some attrition as people get away from the game for a few weeks and then suddenly think they have other/better things to do than Star Wars. If anyone on Jedi Covenant Empire side is interested in doing some regular group stuff, keep an eye out here and just try to be available, I guess. Current organized nights are Tue/Thu, but those are subject to change if needed.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hulk Smash! posted:

There's a very quick 1-quest long story thing on Rishi for each of the archetypes (i.e. Sith Warrior, BH, etc) but that's it.

The inquisitor one is great
Talos, does this make any sense? Should I shock him?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

I know that at one point it was me, but I've done it now. I'd do it again though, because I was really really drunk when I did it that one time and I don't remember any part of it after the tanks. I know there was a minefield, and I want to say like a walker or something?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

Anyhow, this week is looking bad for me, but I plan to be around next week to help with the annual post-holiday raid group rebuilding. Every year we have some attrition as people get away from the game for a few weeks and then suddenly think they have other/better things to do than Star Wars. If anyone on Jedi Covenant Empire side is interested in doing some regular group stuff, keep an eye out here and just try to be available, I guess. Current organized nights are Tue/Thu, but those are subject to change if needed.

For me it's that I spent TOO MUCH time playing SWTOR recently and if I don't force myself to take a break it's gonna be brutal. I expect I'll be back in a bit but I think when my sub expires at the end of the month I'll let it go for a few months. I really do enjoy playing but man I'm an addict.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

I know that at one point it was me, but I've done it now. I'd do it again though, because I was really really drunk when I did it that one time and I don't remember any part of it after the tanks. I know there was a minefield, and I want to say like a walker or something?

The good news is, those of you that want to see it can run it yourselves now (on Story Mode, of course) without having to wait for someone who's done it before to guide you...the first two bosses we pretty much completely ignored mechanics (other than kill around same time) and barely lost any health.

The minefield might not be duo-able since there's a timer on it and someone has to do the puzzle...but who knows.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
If you transfer a character to another server does the stuff in the legacy bank get moved too, or do you have to empty it out? Tempted to move a low level alt to JC and see how the EU population is but I'd be interested in knowing if I can "copy" my gear from the Legacy Bank too.

Medullah posted:

The minefield might not be duo-able since there's a timer on it and someone has to do the puzzle...but who knows.

A friend and I were able to duo the minefield the other day. I stayed on top of the tower and operated the grid, trigger the droid and killed the mobs that spawn on the tower, while he stayed on the ground and killed the droid to get the bomb diffusal kit and diffused the bombs. The first time we did it neither of us had done it before and we did hit the enrage timer but that was because we hadn't got a clue what we were doing but still cleared it. The second time it only took a few minutes to clear a path to the boss (mainly waiting for the grid to become interactable again) and nuke him down.

Even with the enrage timer you'll barely take any damage at 60, and it was still less annoying than duoing the puzzle in EV.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Medullah posted:

Vengeance is loving great right now, I love it. Pumping out two full Ravages in six seconds melts Elites, it's great.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

richyp posted:

If you transfer a character to another server does the stuff in the legacy bank get moved too, or do you have to empty it out? Tempted to move a low level alt to JC and see how the EU population is but I'd be interested in knowing if I can "copy" my gear from the Legacy Bank too.

A friend and I were able to duo the minefield the other day. I stayed on top of the tower and operated the grid, trigger the droid and killed the mobs that spawn on the tower, while he stayed on the ground and killed the droid to get the bomb diffusal kit and diffused the bombs. The first time we did it neither of us had done it before and we did hit the enrage timer but that was because we hadn't got a clue what we were doing but still cleared it. The second time it only took a few minutes to clear a path to the boss (mainly waiting for the grid to become interactable again) and nuke him down.

Even with the enrage timer you'll barely take any damage at 60, and it was still less annoying than duoing the puzzle in EV.

Gear does not transfer over.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013

Drone posted:

Go with Vector. Part of the reason why you die out in the field is because you're not killing things that comes in packs fast enough, and the only reason to ever go medicine on Operative while leveling is because you want to solo a Champion mob that's alone but has higher damage output than you can keep up with just probes and your TA heal. Whenever I go with Kaliyo on Medicine I get bored as hell because things die hella slow. Vector makes things much better.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Medullah posted:

For me it's that I spent TOO MUCH time playing SWTOR recently and if I don't force myself to take a break it's gonna be brutal. I expect I'll be back in a bit but I think when my sub expires at the end of the month I'll let it go for a few months. I really do enjoy playing but man I'm an addict.

Yeah, after getting away from a while and dinking around on other games, I find, magically, I can get more sleep on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I'm on the fence- I do want to see the new content, but at the same time, its a big time investment for me as I'm getting closer and closer to writing my thesis and commencing operation "GTFO". I'll hop on next week, since it sounds like then we're going to have Oedzi at least, but I'm evaluating things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Medullah posted:

You should always use a DPS companion if you can, killing poo poo will be much faster. If you're a healer, you should be able to keep a DPS companion alive. If you're a DPS, you might need to use a healer (probably need to), and if you're a concealment ops or deception Assassin, you might need to use a tank to taunt.

I've been playing a DPS spec with a tank companion fine. Doesn't feel as capable of dealing with emergencies as dps/healer, but it works just fine for non-crisis situations.

• Locked thread