Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Peyton Reed is probably more notable for Bring It On, the first film of the MCU of the cheerleader film genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

prefect posted:

The war-crime Highlander movie came out in 1991: "Highlander II: The Quickening".

I was just talking about Highlander the other day with a friend. That first movie is loving weird and charmingly low budget and it's kind of a miracle that it works AND made money AND spawned a franchise. Even though everyone fell in love with the weird lore, that's like the least important aspect of that film. You have no idea what the gently caress is going on for like 40 minutes of the film, it's just dingy shots of the city and people cutting each other's heads off. Yet loving up that lore in the sequel made people mighty pissed, despite it having equally creative visuals.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The cast was a big part; Clancy Brown being amazing and one of my all time favorite vilains in it, Swashbuckling Connery being a lot of fun, and Lambert being his charmingly weird self all add a lot of enjoyment

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The craziest part of Highlander is they made a franchise out of a movie that explicitly says there are no more immortal people at the end.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

The craziest part of Highlander is they made a franchise out of a movie that explicitly says there are no more immortal people at the end.

It even has a Saturday morning cartoon set in a post-apocalyptic future.

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

muscles like this? posted:

I maintain that people just like making the joke, "There should've been only one."

Michael Ironside is always awesome though, so any movie with him gets a pass on some level.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Peyton Reed is probably more notable for Bring It On, the first film of the MCU of the cheerleader film genre.

He also made Down With Love, a rom-com set in a swanky, kitschy, Technicolor version of the early '60s, starring Ewan McGregor and Renee Zellweger. Back then, it made me wish he could adapt Fantastic Four in the same style -- all '60s space-age optimism, with the FF smiling and waving in ticker-tape parades and being bigger than the Beatles, starring McGregor and Zellweger as Reed and Sue. Never did I think he'd actually go on to direct a Marvel movie!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The MSJ posted:

It even has a Saturday morning cartoon set in a post-apocalyptic future.

That cartoon was near-unwatchable, for very obvious reasons. The violence is like the main thing about the Highlander series! But the post-apocalypse is actually an interesting place to take a depressing series about immortals...

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Fox has announced release dates for Gambit starring Channing Tatum on October 7 2016 and Fantastic Four 2 on June 2nd, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wow, they're actually putting hope on FF. Maybe they should try marketing it at all.

I hope they go full on ridiculous with Gambit and let it be fun

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Opopanax posted:

Wow, they're actually putting hope on FF. Maybe they should try marketing it at all.

I hope they go full on ridiculous with Gambit and let it be fun

Based on Fantastic Four, they'll probably reimagine Gambit as a moderately successful action and comedy movie star who just always seems weirdly generic and plain.

His mutant power will be changed to making his punches better (it's still kinetic energy!) and he won't realize this until he does it by accident and stares dumbfounded and amazed at the camera/his fist.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Let's face it, Gambit's true signature attributes are a brown trenchcoat, black headsock and that weird pink poo poo going on with the rest of his costume.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Based on Fantastic Four, they'll probably reimagine Gambit as a moderately successful action and comedy movie star who just always seems weirdly generic and plain.

His mutant power will be changed to making his punches better (it's still kinetic energy!) and he won't realize this until he does it by accident and stares dumbfounded and amazed at the camera/his fist.

We can at least let FF come out before we decide that the characterization changes are definitely stupid, no?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

As far as I can tell, none of the FF members have their personalities changed for the movie. Maybe they will make Reed more of a dick, but that's just making him more faithful to the source.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Came across some footage of Jared Leto where he kind of looks like The Joker.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2015/01...external,manual

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Dacap posted:

Fox has announced release dates for Gambit starring Channing Tatum on October 7 2016 and Fantastic Four 2 on June 2nd, 2017

Ugh, Gambit? Does anyone even like him? More like, can anyone even tolerate him?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

Ugh, Gambit? Does anyone even like him? More like, can anyone even tolerate him?

I am under the impression that something Channing Tatum and Gambut have in common (other than being from the South) is that both have a lot of fangirls.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

He's more popular than Cyclops.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Gambit has a lot of goodwill from the 90's cartoon series where he was probably the coolest male character that wasn't Wolverine. Probably cooler than him actually

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I have a deep love of Gambit but that probably stems more from my child-like love of explosions (and people who have the power to generate them) rather than actually enjoying the character.

That said, his recent solo series was quite good.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

McSpanky posted:

Let's face it, Gambit's true signature attributes are a brown trenchcoat, black headsock and that weird pink poo poo going on with the rest of his costume.

And a Cajun accent.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

The MSJ posted:

I am under the impression that something Channing Tatum and Gambit have in common (other than being from the South) is that both have a lot of fans.

A lot more correct.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Lurdiak posted:

Who isn't?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sometimes you need to remind BSS posters of the real world at large.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The entire 'First Class'.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Not true at all. Cyclops' title hasn't been cancelled, and he's front and center of big events and has been the main X-Men character for about a decade now. Gambit is in a book about to get cancelled after his solo book didn't sell.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Not true at all. Cyclops' title hasn't been cancelled, and he's front and center of big events and has been the main X-Men character for about a decade now. Gambit is in a book about to get cancelled after his solo book didn't sell.

Comic book fans are a small minority of superhero fans.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm still pretty surprised that the FF movie comes out this summer and yet we have nothing from it to look at, really.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm still pretty surprised that the FF movie comes out this summer and yet we have nothing from it to look at, really.

Kind of. First Class was the same where the trailer wasn't out until February and the film came out the end of May. Ant Man is arguably the same given that it comes out a month before hand and is getting its trailer this week.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shawn posted:

Does nobody like Yes Man but me? He was also associated with Mr. Show and UCB, he's got some comedy pedigree.

I'm talking about Stephen Derrickson, auteur of such celebrated classics as Sinister and Deliver Us From Evil. Not terrible, but pretty mediocre (at least for Deliver, only heard about Sinister second hand).

Peyton Reed has my wary optimism because of Down WIth Love. Because it is the poo poo.

He's also the director who tried to get a Fantastic Four movie set in the sixties together.

EDIT: Someone please tell me that there's a universe spanning character universe full of team-ups and guest appearances based off girls cheerleading. Because that too would be the poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Waterhaul posted:

Kind of. First Class was the same where the trailer wasn't out until February and the film came out the end of May. Ant Man is arguably the same given that it comes out a month before hand and is getting its trailer this week.
True, but Ant Man has had all sorts of production delays and a director change.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Comic book fans are a small minority of superhero fans.

Yeah. If you polled average people (who actually know what an X-man is), Gambit would easily make top 5, and Cyclops wouldn't even make top 10. He's pretty much Marvel's Aquaman.

poo poo, the sales difference between a top selling and canceled book nowadays would be negligible at the height of X-men's comic book popularity. And Gambit was white-hot back then.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jan 6, 2015

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

You take that back you rat-fucker.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Aphrodite posted:

The entire 'First Class'.

First Class' version of Beast was good/popular.

But yeah, the rest of the kids basically got a "Poochy died on the way back to his home planet".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

Hey, I don't think Gambit any more than you do. :smith:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ignite Memories posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD8BdrRYRWM&t=964s

Just face reality, man.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Huh, Cracked did an article about modern movie trailers and it included several of the things we were talking about yesterday. Neat!

http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-annoying-ways-trailers-trick-you-into-seeing-movies/

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

If america wants gambit, america deserves gambit.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

First Class' version of Beast was good/popular.

But yeah, the rest of the kids basically got a "Poochy died on the way back to his home planet".

I wish he wasn't because that CGI is so awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Think you guys are missing the big ticket item with the Fantastic Four Sequel got moved up in its release date!

A movie with no trailer or a single promotional picture that's been officially released. The trailer as mentioned isn't unique...the lack of any promotional photos on the other hand...and just all the poo poo coming out about Hobo Doom who argues about anime pillows on his tumbler.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jan 6, 2015

• Locked thread