Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DveoRhilv1A&t=44s

A little-known fact: the E-2D actually plays that theme music constantly over the ICS while in flight.

Why are these promotional materials always cut like movie trailers? It's not like defense acquisition groups look for "Coming Soon! E-2D ADVANCED HAWKEYE" like it's a new killer app video game or something. The same with those paper ads in trade magazines that advertise stuff like "PROVEN THERMAL INSULATION/READY MADE PREFAB TRAILERS/ACCURIZED 7.62 BELTS" and big ticket items bought by armies. Do defense groups think they need to cater to an individual buyer for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Davin Valkri posted:

Why are these promotional materials always cut like movie trailers? It's not like defense acquisition groups look for "Coming Soon! E-2D ADVANCED HAWKEYE" like it's a new killer app video game or something. The same with those paper ads in trade magazines that advertise stuff like "PROVEN THERMAL INSULATION/READY MADE PREFAB TRAILERS/ACCURIZED 7.62 BELTS" and big ticket items bought by armies. Do defense groups think they need to cater to an individual buyer for some reason?

"The E-2D was designed with purpose and intent. No poo poo. What are they even saying here? Show me an airplane that wasn't! …and I'll show you the F-35B :rimshot:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Davin Valkri posted:

Senators.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Davin Valkri posted:

Congressmen, and the interns and consultants that advise congressmen do. The ads in the DC subway are goddamn awesome. In Chicago, and NYC, they advertise divorce lawyers and hemorrhoid cream, in DC, especially Pentagon Station, every single ad is for some killbot or another. Makes me chuckle every single time. Bunch of Lockheed ads last time I was through, both for the F-35, and for the LCS. As well as some Northrop-Grumman subassembly or another, if I remember correctly.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Davin Valkri posted:

I dunno, guess you've got to spend all that government pork somewhere.. Plus there's always the chance that some middling bureaucrat who faps to the trade mags in the john on his break convinces some committee that they absolutely need to spec the Hotshit Acekiller Pro to the new armament package they're procuring because it's Proven to Perform and suchlike.

E-fb like a 4th Gen multirole fighter in a 1st world military procurement boondoggle.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 6, 2015

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

vessbot posted:

excellent effort post

Just to illustrate the bizarre ways training organizations interpret the PTS regarding stalls take this anecdote from my last recurrent at a major simulation company for the small twin turboprop I fly. It used to be that stall recovery was done with full power and "a minimum loss of altitude" which in the airplane I fly usually meant little to no loss at all. At my last training event the FAA had changed the PTS to say that loss of altitude was acceptable as long as the aircraft was in control and you broke the stall with a combination of (lowering the) pitch and power. Now major simulation company took this to mean that you HAD to lose some altitude to meet the PTS. How much? Like obscenity, the instructors knew it when they saw it. Which meant that now I had to lose altitude to recover from a stall in an airplane that could recover from an imminent stall with no loss of altitude whatsoever. No wonder pilots are all screwed up when it comes to stalled wings.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Slo-Tek posted:

Congressmen, and the interns and consultants that advise congressmen do. The ads in the DC subway are goddamn awesome. In Chicago, and NYC, they advertise divorce lawyers and hemorrhoid cream, in DC, especially Pentagon Station, every single ad is for some killbot or another. Makes me chuckle every single time. Bunch of Lockheed ads last time I was through, both for the F-35, and for the LCS. As well as some Northrop-Grumman subassembly or another, if I remember correctly.

You're forgetting the radio ads on WTOP.

For the unknowing, WTOP is the most-listened-to news radio channel in the DC area, and it is loving replete with D-I/Intelligence Community ads. They just flow like water out of their 'glass-enclosed nerve center.'

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I haven't flown any powered aircraft but I did almost get a gliding license about ten years ago and let me tell you, they took aerodynamics really loving seriously. There was a lot of time during the training dedicated to things like making sure we understood sideslips, spin/stall recovery, CG/CL balance etc etc (if you weighed less than a threshold you had to bring a sandbag to sit on when you flew front seat for CG reasons - a very hands-on lesson that was always accompanied by the warning that forgetting to do it could change the normally very benign aircraft into a spin-hungry monster). The instructors were constantly hounding you to fly aerodynamically "clean".

I remember one of the first lessons in aerodynamics where they were giving an introduction to the control surfaces and what each of them do individually answered that question vessbot was asking about ailerons - if you bank left without any rudder input, the aircraft will turn its nose right. It's because when the right wing increases lift, the drag on that wing also increases, while the opposite is true on the left wing. I suppose this explanation probably isn't the whole truth (and I don't remember all the details anyway) but for something done by volunteers in their spare time for a symbolic fee it was pretty exhaustive.

Gliding was pretty awesome and I really oughta get into that again.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 6, 2015

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

VOR LOC posted:

Just to illustrate the bizarre ways training organizations interpret the PTS regarding stalls take this anecdote from my last recurrent at a major simulation company for the small twin turboprop I fly. It used to be that stall recovery was done with full power and "a minimum loss of altitude" which in the airplane I fly usually meant little to no loss at all. At my last training event the FAA had changed the PTS to say that loss of altitude was acceptable as long as the aircraft was in control and you broke the stall with a combination of (lowering the) pitch and power. Now major simulation company took this to mean that you HAD to lose some altitude to meet the PTS. How much? Like obscenity, the instructors knew it when they saw it. Which meant that now I had to lose altitude to recover from a stall in an airplane that could recover from an imminent stall with no loss of altitude whatsoever. No wonder pilots are all screwed up when it comes to stalled wings.

Ugh...

Well with a forced choice of 2 evils, I'd go with this one, at least...

Do you have the same username on PPW?

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
For those interested, season 14 of Mayday/Air Crash Investigation started yesterday. Starting with the Kegworth air crash (British Midland flight 92). It's already up on YouTube.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Gibfender posted:

For those interested, season 14 of Mayday/Air Crash Investigation started yesterday. Starting with the Kegworth air crash (British Midland flight 92). It's already up on YouTube.

Whoa they're still making that show?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Bob A Feet posted:

This got serious fast. Quick everyone post a video or picture of your favorite airplane

http://youtu.be/hUNJTAybCQQ

Favorite airplane?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Well now this has to be posted, doesn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=vdHBsWXaHN8#t=13

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I bumped into an Air traffic Controller at work yesterday. He told me two stories.

Once he was listening in to a Air France conversation with ATC in New York City. The pilot onboard the Air France kept saying the "France" in Air France like a frenchman, IE Air Fraise, and the NY ATC guy was confused - never heard of 'em. So the Air France pilot in desperation goes "Air Fraise, or to say it with a Yankee accent, Air FrANCe." That, the NY ATC guy understood

In the Gander ATC center many years ago, the identity of flights being handed off from the center in Shannon, Ireland would come in via computer. Once at Gander, the ident info would be copied by hand onto little 3x5 cards, taken to another room, and then entered into another computer for NORAD. Once they did the screamingly obvious thing (hook up the data line from Ireland directly to NORAD's communication channels,) it eliminated about 10 jobs

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Wingnut Ninja posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DveoRhilv1A&t=44s

A little-known fact: the E-2D actually plays that theme music constantly over the ICS while in flight.

well I've played a lot of Harpoon so according to that video I'm now qualified to fly an E-2D. See you later, suckers :c00l:

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Gibfender posted:

I remember being in a bus on a school trip not long after that and we drove past the 'scar' in the motorway embankment where the 737 had smashed against it. We all cheered and laughed. The teachers went berserk and lectured us about respect etc. but we were all like 14 so didn't give a poo poo. Well that's the end of the story, thanks for reading.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Or this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prEFjYrAJuw

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Well at least he's telling two parachutes but god knows what ejecting supersonic feels like

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

Well at least he's telling two parachutes but god knows what ejecting supersonic feels like

I don't know, but I bet this guy has researched it.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/

warning: 1996 web 1.0 site incoming!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bob A Feet posted:

Jonny Nox posted:

I don't know, but I bet this guy has researched it.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/

warning: 1996 web 1.0 site incoming!

Here's the story to read regarding supersonic ejection: http://www.ejectionsite.com/insaddle/insaddle.htm

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Favorite airplane?

B please we all know the vf-19 will kick that buckets rear end!

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

VOR LOC posted:

Here, allow me to lend my expertise on the subject matter.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

YF19pilot posted:

Here, allow me to lend my expertise on the subject matter.

Is it true that the half robot/half airplane mode exists because of Marine Corps requirements?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is it true that the half robot/half airplane mode exists because of Marine Corps requirements?

Every soldier plane a riflemanplane

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

VOR LOC posted:

Pfff, silly non-mindcontrol planes.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Nebakenezzer posted:

that'd probably be Battroid mode if anything. priznat knows what's up.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Davin Valkri posted:

It's a PR campaign to convince taxpayers (and especially the aforementioned senators and congresspeople) that they're making Useful Stuff and not blowing tons of pork barrel money on hookers and blow.

I'm still disappointed they missed the chance for synergy with the Super Hornet, calling it "Advanced Hawkeye" instead of the clearly superior "Super Hawkeye".

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's a PR campaign to convince taxpayers (and especially the aforementioned senators and congresspeople) that they're making Useful Stuff and not blowing tons of pork barrel money on hookers and blow.

I'm still disappointed they missed the chance for synergy with the Super Hornet, calling it "Advanced Hawkeye" instead of the clearly superior "Super Hawkeye".

The Super-Duper Hornet the billed as Advanced Super Hornet, I think. So, conservation/reuse of buzzwords is still in effect.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
The next iteration should be called Mega Hornet or better yet Ultra Hornet or even better yet Ultra Mega Hornet™. Though I feel like Ultra Mega Hornet should be, like, a Voltron-esque amalgamation of 4+ Hornets.

"...and I'll form... The Head!!!"

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Duke Chin posted:

The next iteration should be called Mega Hornet or better yet Ultra Hornet or even better yet Ultra Mega Hornet™. Though I feel like Ultra Mega Hornet should be, like, a Voltron-esque amalgamation of 4+ Hornets.

"...and I'll form... The Head!!!"

Hmm, I'm thinking Ultra Mega Hornet should actually be really huge, transform into a walking mech, and launch waves of drone fighters.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!
Speaking of people being unfamiliar with engine spool-up time, here's a Delta pilot layin' sick nose gear rubber in an MD-88:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoGeKdNxH4U

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ctishman posted:

Speaking of people being unfamiliar with engine spool-up time, here's a Delta pilot layin' sick nose gear rubber in an MD-88:

I should never read youtube comments, but I liked the guy saying that was unsafe because he wasted part of the runway and could be performance limited. Of all of the things to complain about, the 50 feet wasted there wouldn't be very high on the list.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Wingnut Ninja posted:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

hobbesmaster posted:

I should never read youtube comments, but I liked the guy saying that was unsafe because he wasted part of the runway and could be performance limited. Of all of the things to complain about, the 50 feet wasted there wouldn't be very high on the list.

Some people. They know enough to prove how little they actually do. Had the guy really had an idea about takeoff performance he'd have know the margins are in thousands of feet.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I love how the squadron badge is just V-14. :lol:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

From related videos:

The MD-80 is going away and it turns out to be a sad thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R0CViDUBFs

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

ctishman posted:

"Uhh QUICK take off before someone notices!"

Not to be outdone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7kGyGCSBr4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ctishman posted:

Hey, they're just taking "can you accept immediate takeoff" very seriously.

You know, I've thought before how I'm really glad that, for the E-2D, they didn't try for something crazy like sticking a radome on a V-22 or an F-35. Instead they just took an airframe that's worked for 50 years and put a better radar on it. So thank you for showing me that's not nearly the worst thing that could have happened.

Growlers are fuckin' sweet, though.