Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Hey now without that latter one we wouldn't have Halle Berry Catwoman we are so fortunate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I forgot how great Donal Logue is. And so bummed to see Clay Davis die, it woulda been fun to have him around for longer.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Awesome, the series is back. Now to wait another week for more :(

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

...! posted:

The Swede is getting hardcore.

Maybe they can get him to murder the Fair-haired Maiden of Gotham City.

I'm glad they didn't SVU it and pulled in three "I know that face" actors so it wouldn't be a total giveaway who the culprit is.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

The Human Crouton posted:

This is the weirdest show. It's both haphazardly lazy and lovingly crafted. I've never enjoyed a show that I have no respect for as much as I do Gotham.

I have a theory that a different writer is assigned to each character. Everyone just pastes their stuff into a shared Google doc and that's what gets turned in as the shooting script.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

pookerbug posted:

I have a theory that a different writer is assigned to each character. Everyone just pastes their stuff into a shared Google doc and that's what gets turned in as the shooting script.

It's bad that this is a plausible scenario in my mind.

Watching the show on TV I can't get over how hilariously corrupt and dumb all city officials are, but I guess they would have to be for Batman to make any sense. Batman is basically the protector of a city full of idiots.

"Hey, this crazy asylum inmate, let's just let her walk around and pretend to be a nurse. Nothing could go wrong here!" :haw:

I'm just going to assume that things like the FBI and the Justice Department just don't exist in the Gotham universe, because otherwise somebody would have got them involved at some point.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

pookerbug posted:

How pissed must Barbara's actress be that everyone else got human writers and she got a drinking bird?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I hope Gordon thanks Holl...I mean Ivy in a later episode for getting rid of Barbara.
Also I think this is the first episode that had a complete absence of Bruce and Alfred. I'm not too sure how I feel about that.

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
Butch is definitely my favourite character in the gang wars storyline.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

imperialparadox posted:

It's bad that this is a plausible scenario in my mind.

Watching the show on TV I can't get over how hilariously corrupt and dumb all city officials are, but I guess they would have to be for Batman to make any sense. Batman is basically the protector of a city full of idiots.

I'm just going to assume that things like the FBI and the Justice Department just don't exist in the Gotham universe, because otherwise somebody would have got them involved at some point.
I just remind myself the Chicago Police Department is a thing that exists without federal intervention and my immersion is restored.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Inkspot posted:

How pissed must Barbara's actress be that everyone else got human writers and she got a drinking bird?

"I bet you can't write an ENTIRE season where Barbara isn't wearing pants."
"You're on!"

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
So is this supposed to be the origin of Hugo Strange?

Looks kind of like him.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

LLJKSiLk posted:

It's got to be. He has the look, his gimmick is horribly unethical psychiatry, he's an expert at manipulating people to do his dirty work, he's clever and creepy-calm, the age range works, and Hugo Strange he's the kind of more realistic villain that Gotham can make use of easily. I really hope that's what we're seeing here, because he's an absolutely perfect bad guy to bring in.

Jerusalem posted:

[regarding a Krypton show] Also the studio just called the weeping scriptwriter and told them they want Lex Luthor to be the season finale villain. No argument allowed.
I have to say, considering how much time travel and super-science bullshit the DC universe gets up to on a regular basis, this wouldn't even be difficult to arrange.

Actually, I can see it working out pretty well. After countless defeats at the hands of Superman, Lex uses [Found Kryptonian gadget + His own tech] to transport himself to Superman's birthplace and prevent him from ever being born. Or FedEx'd to Earth, whatever.

He shows up mid-season mysteriously, sabotaging things to put the L family in danger, which they barely avoid. His identity is revealed to the audience a few episodes later. Various plots fail, finally one of his plans looks like it worked and... gently caress, no, that broke everything. Turns out one of those times Superman saved Earth, nobody else could have done it. Lex can't rule over a drat wasteland.

Season finale time, now Lex Luthor has to find a way to save baby Kal-L instead, and is not at all happy about it.

e X posted:

At one point, Lex did consider traveling back in time, marrying Superman's mother and becoming Clark's stepdad, thus making him immune to the hero's crimefighting, since Superman wouldn't arrest his own dad.
Lex has planned to do just about every crazy thing by now. I just made my silly scenario up, but if I opened up a comic from the 1950s and found the same story had already been done, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

... poo poo. Just as I was typing this, I realized that this story already was done in comics, only with Scrooge McDuck and Magica De Spell. Just replace "Baby Superman" with "#1 Dime" and the tech with magic. And Krypton with Scotland.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jan 6, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
At one point, Lex did consider traveling back in time, marrying Superman's mother and becoming Clark's stepdad, thus making him immune to the hero's crimefighting, since Superman wouldn't arrest his own dad.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

LLJKSiLk posted:

Looks kind of like him.

The next episode preview called him the Electrocutioner which is a different Batman villain.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

I don't really have much in the way of complaints about this episode.

Barbara was of course terrible, and will be, now and until her inevitable and highly-anticipated demise, but i've kind of just grown to accept that. Lets all pray that the end comes soon.

The mob bits were better this episode than they normally are, I thought. I guess they pulled in one of the writers from the other characters to help out. Maybe the Bruce and Alfred writers, which is why they weren't in this one. It's all about division of labor.

I am really digging Gordon in Arkham. I hope that lasts a while.

I've never seen the Swede in anything that he wasn't awesome and creepy in. I particularly like this Lecterish character.

Edit: You know, just thinking about it, they could have made Barbara into a great character who we would all come to like. When she's killed off, it could have been a really emotional episode. But no, they make her this hosed up, barely functionally retarded asshat instead, so that when she finally dies, everyone breathes a sigh of relief. "Why is Gordon so upset?" we all wonder. "The loving house finally fell on her."

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 7, 2015

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Madkal posted:

I hope Gordon thanks Holl...I mean Ivy in a later episode for getting rid of Barbara.
Also I think this is the first episode that had a complete absence of Bruce and Alfred. I'm not too sure how I feel about that.

Since those are two of the three best characters on the show, I can't imagine it helped the episode much.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Did Penguin lose a couple of brain cells during the break?

Oh and I liked that final scene with Butch. Except they never showed why he'd rather stick with Fish than his childhood friend, but whatever, it's Gotham. v:shobon:v

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

muscles like this? posted:

The next episode preview called him the Electrocutioner which is a different Batman villain.
Really? I missed the preview. If so, that's a disappointment.

My first guess at the guy's identity early in the episode was Maxie Zeus. The electricity and bad psychiatry angles made me sure he was going to be Zeus or Hugo Strange, (guess there's no need to spoiler that now) and I kept going back and forth between those two. Either could have been pretty great, complete psychopaths with god complexes and probably more scenery-chewing madness than Fish? Awesome. But the Electrocutioner is just sort of... bland.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Robot Hobo posted:

Really? I missed the preview. If so, that's a disappointment.

My first guess at the guy's identity early in the episode was Maxie Zeus. The electricity and bad psychiatry angles made me sure he was going to be Zeus or Hugo Strange, (guess there's no need to spoiler that now) and I kept going back and forth between those two. Either could have been pretty great, complete psychopaths with god complexes and probably more scenery-chewing madness than Fish? Awesome. But the Electrocutioner is just sort of... bland.

I was totally getting a Maxie Zeus vibe during the play at the start.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Gawain The Blind posted:

Edit: You know, just thinking about it, they could have made Barbara into a great character who we would all come to like. When she's killed off, it could have been a really emotional episode. But no, they make her this hosed up, barely functionally retarded asshat instead, so that when she finally dies, everyone breathes a sigh of relief. "Why is Gordon so upset?" we all wonder. "The loving house finally fell on her."

Well, Gordon is this unrealistic representation of justice who is never going to get called out for being an irritating boy scout as opposed to the moral paragon, but the comics insist that he and Barbara don't stick together, so the writing staff, perplexed on how to depict their Perfect Cop leaving his girlfriend since that seems, well, possibly heartless, have decided to make Barbara as pathetic, stupid, and unlikable as possible.

That take may seem like a complaint, but I'm actually enjoying the tack they've gone here, since, like most of the show's upwards trend, it's just stopped caring about sticking to the playbook. The writers must have realized after the initial episode reviews that they sucked at making Barbara relatable, and so they gave up, and the show's better for it. Barbara sucks. Batgirl being named after her is going to be the funniest, most ironic poo poo ever, and I for one am all for it. Would a good bisexual representation have been nicer? A more nuanced Gordon who, yeah, has problems a la Batman: Year One and cheats and all that? Yeah. But at least the writers know their weaknesses, so they're writing to their strengths. And they're very, very, very good at making us all hate Barbara.

Also, so many villains are skirtings of various bad guys that they just can't use because it'd stretch the the universe's allowance of future Bruce antagonists, so you get stuff like "I Can't Believe It's Not Mister Pyg" Goatman, and now you're getting "I Can't Believer It's Not Maxie Zeus/Hugo Strange."

PaulDirac
Aug 15, 2014

Krad posted:

Oh and I liked that final scene with Butch. Except they never showed why he'd rather stick with Fish than his childhood friend, but whatever, it's Gotham. v:shobon:v

Ye I agree, it was a pretty weird, seemingly pointless thing that was happening around penguin, maybe they are trying to give penguin some kind of motive for something in future episodes or something.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I don't know if the show has just gotten better, or if I've just come to love its silliness, but I'm glad it is back :allears:

Well at least now Barbara is out of her life, Montoya can get into investigating the Waynes murder like she promised Jim she would.... so long as Barbara doesn't get another boyfriend for her to harass in the meantime.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Jerusalem posted:

I don't know if the show has just gotten better, or if I've just come to love its silliness, but I'm glad it is back :allears:

Well at least now Barbara is out of her life, Montoya can get into investigating the Waynes murder like she promised Jim she would.... so long as Barbara doesn't get another boyfriend for her to harass in the meantime.

Or that kooky Wayne kid throws all the evidence in a cave, and that Kat kid refuses to cooperate as a witness.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

Can't wait for her to arrest Bullock on the testimony of 'some kid I met at the shops' or 'a psychic hotline', although at least this time the Waynes won't turn up alive and unmurdered.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

oh jay posted:

Worse comes to worst, they could always replace someone with their little brother with the exact same name.

Oh, you son of a bitch.

(Also, hey - Allyce Beasley! Agnes DiPesto! YAAAY!)

PS - What's a bonsai tree?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

I would love this show to have Bruce or Bullock talk to the dead Waynes via Ouija board.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

oh jay posted:

Bruce, Gordon and (the) Penguin are safe. But I could see them killing off almost anyone else.

Worse comes to worst, they could always replace someone with their little brother with the exact same name.

My money is on Butch being the Joker, so he's safe as well.

Krad posted:

Who said he's sticking with fish?

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 8, 2015

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Fog Tripper posted:

Who said he's sticking with fish?

Yeah I got the feeling that from his demeanor when Fish asked how negotiations were going and then we consider both the proposition his friend gave him and then the story Butch told about keeping the best meat for himself from their heist it was intended to show that in all of this talk of the higher ups consolidating power he is going to do exactly the same thing that Penguin is trying to do as well: weaken the competition from the inside and carve out their own empires from the inevitable gang wars.

I liked it, I liked this episode overall and would say it was probably one of the best so far but it gets dragged down due to the Barbara parts. They did a good fake out with the Arkham doctor, Harvey acted like an actual detective and demonstrated that he is actually good at his job, Penguin got a reality check to show that he is still just a middleman at this point, and Butch's story was nice worldbuilding. If the episodes after are more like this one then I think that this show can gain a little more good will, not unlike what people say of Agents of SHIELD

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gordon and Bullock being so happy to see each other again and falling straight into a double-team act against the director was really sweet :3:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's crazy that that crazy hot actress from Firefly is in this show. It's good to see her get work that I know about.

Also, Doc Thompkins is a nice character to introduce.

Also, lol, the Babs and Montoya stuff is so bad, ahahahahahahahaha. I don't even care how they've ruined Mom-Barbara, but good god it irks me that they've reduced Rene Montoya to this failure of writing. They've made Bullock great, though. Aha, love it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Junkie Disease posted:

I would love this show to have Bruce or Bullock talk to the dead Waynes via Ouija board.

I will start up a White House petition for this to happen.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Drifter posted:

It's crazy that that crazy hot actress from Firefly is in this show. It's good to see her get work that I know about.

Also, Doc Thompkins is a nice character to introduce.

Also, lol, the Babs and Montoya stuff is so bad, ahahahahahahahaha. I don't even care how they've ruined Mom-Barbara, but good god it irks me that they've reduced Rene Montoya to this failure of writing. They've made Bullock great, though. Aha, love it.

So Jim is going to sleep with Doc Thompkins right, as they have had more chemistry in those three scenes then Barbra.

Also Barbra sucks but they clearly can't redeem the character at this point so poo poo on her all you want writers.

Butch is going to kill Fish in the season final.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Probably Magic posted:

The writers must have realized after the initial episode reviews that they sucked at making Barbara relatable, and so they gave up, and the show's better for it. Barbara sucks. Batgirl being named after her is going to be the funniest, most ironic poo poo ever, and I for one am all for it. Would a good bisexual representation have been nicer? A more nuanced Gordon who, yeah, has problems a la Batman: Year One and cheats and all that? Yeah. But at least the writers know their weaknesses, so they're writing to their strengths. And they're very, very, very good at making us all hate Barbara.

You are absolutely correct. With the way Bullock seemed to have multiple personalities in the beginning, I think they just have issues writing characters that are more than the epitome of a particular character trait.

It would have been cool to see a more complex Gordon though.

Edit: To be fair, a lot the silver and golden age spandex-and-folded-boots comic writers basically did the same thing.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Drifter posted:

Hopefully they don't continue on the love triangle poo poo anymore and Renee can actually be involved in the plot more than just relationship drama, leaving Barbara behind to get the hell out.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Aces High posted:

I liked it, I liked this episode overall and would say it was probably one of the best so far but it gets dragged down due to the Barbara parts. They did a good fake out with the Arkham doctor, Harvey acted like an actual detective and demonstrated that he is actually good at his job, Penguin got a reality check to show that he is still just a middleman at this point, and Butch's story was nice worldbuilding. If the episodes after are more like this one then I think that this show can gain a little more good will, not unlike what people say of Agents of SHIELD

Yeah, overall it wasn't a bad episode. Maybe it will reach a point and move into "good" territory, but right now the show seems to have a problem with the consistency of its quality.

Drifter posted:

The Barbara and Montoya stuff plays out like horrible fan-fiction or something. Whoever is responsible for that should feel ashamed, and if that whole thing just disappeared from the show with no resolution at all it would still be better than having to struggle through the Barbara portions of the show.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I don't think anyone here talked about the worst part of the episode, Barbra being pissed at Jim for sleeping with someone (not that he did) despite having run off to bang Montoya.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

sbaldrick posted:

I don't think anyone here talked about the worst part of the episode, Barbra being pissed at Jim for sleeping with someone (not that he did) despite having run off to bang Montoya.

If you can't compartmentalize your betrayal of people and others' betrayals of you then I don't know what to say, mister. :colbert:

"Maybe, if you want to argue it, MAYBE I did this to him, and anyways that's not even the point, but how DARE he do this to MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?!!?!??!? I trusted him!"

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jan 8, 2015

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sbaldrick posted:

I assumed there was something else going on there because it was just tooooo stupid. Who the hell would watch that scene and not want that character to dive headfirst under the back wheels of a city bus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I love how good of a team Gordon and Bullock have somehow become. The scene at Arkham where Bullock comes in to take the boss out of the way was both fun and oddly touching. He just seemed so drat happy to be helping Jim with this case. At first I thought Bullock's turn from apathetic rear end in a top hat to "The only OTHER decent cop in Gotham" was too abrupt, but I simply don't care now. More of this, please.

sbaldrick posted:

So Jim is going to sleep with Doc Thompkins right, as they have had more chemistry in those three scenes then Barbra.
It's not that Jim and Barbara have no chemistry, it's that they somehow have negative amounts of chemistry together. The plot of her going off with her ex-lover Renee could have been an interesting twist, except Barbara and Renee also have no chemistry to speak of. Jim or Renee could have started french kissing one of the office typewriters and it would have felt more natural than any of their romance scenes with Barbara.

The sudden turn of Renee just walking in an deciding that she's done with Barbara, after spending the previous episodes totally fixated on stealing her back from Jim, feels like the writers just abruptly decided to abandon this whole sub-plot because it wasn't working and wasn't worth trying to salvage. I consider that good sign for the future, if that's the case.

I did say "steal" Barbara from Jim above as if she was some inanimate object because she really doesn't feel like a character, she feels like a prop. Just an object standing there, being handed back and forth, not DOING anything. I'm not sure who is most at fault for that, writing, directing, or the actress herself. Any of them should have been able to at least add something to the character by now.

(Montoya is the ex of both Batgirl's Mom and Batwoman? Kinky.)

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 8, 2015

• Locked thread