Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Be calm with the office, remember, they didn't install these people solely to annoy you, it is a pain in their rear end, too.

Tell the office what's up and see what they do. If whatever that is isn't working, tell them that someone is moving next month - either the quiet, clean, on-time rent paying apartment (yours), or the loud apartment who is vandalizing the complex. Then if things don't get better, move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
I have a question about my shower. I live in an apartment with included utilities so I'm pretty sure that means my water can be affected by other apartments (correct me if I'm wrong), but it's been worse lately. It's always had low-ish pressure and a thing where turning it to shower mode still has the bath faucet going (often very strong, so it wastes a lot of water). Sometimes the temperature is really erratic and will jump from scalding to freezing several times in the course of one 10 minute shower. I shower at night, so it's not like it's prime hot-water-usage time. My apartment lost hot water last night and maintenance came in while I was at work today to fix it, and now the shower pressure is down to almost nothing.

Are these problems that could have a quick fix through basic maintenance, or do they sound like something that just happens in a place where all the pipes are connected? Ideally, I'd like a consistent pressure with a consistent temperature and the ability to take a shower without running a bath at the same time, but I don't exactly live in a high-class apartment and don't know how much they can fix.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Zaftig posted:

Ideally, I'd like a consistent pressure with a consistent temperature and the ability to take a shower without running a bath at the same time, but I don't exactly live in a high-class apartment and don't know how much they can fix.
This is a basic demand of an apartment, and something they should be able to deliver. The tub filling while the shower is on is a diverter issue, it should be easily fixable by replacing the diverter. The thing where last week the hot water worked fine and after maint was there the pressure is basically gone is clearly a maint issue... have them back over to look in to it.

None of these problems are really issues that would be affected by individually metered water or group metered water. It may have to do with having an old hot water heater, and once whatever is wrong with your hot water heater is fixed, it may all go away.

Zaftig
Jan 21, 2008

It's infectious
Awesome, I'll bug management about it after the holidays. I kept shrugging it off as it being a 1920s building but enough is enough.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If they replaced the water heater, it's possible they have ended up with some garbage in the lines. I would take off the shower head and clean out the strainer if its clogged. Soak it in white vinegar if it has mineral buildup.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point

Someone school me on some curtains.

I can find a shade for the top half (semi-circle), but I don't know how to mount a curtain rod for the bottom half. The window is about 72" wide. Every curtain rod I see on the world wide web comes with at least one interior mounting bracket for a window this wide. I don't think I'd be able to mount the bracket in my case, or am I wrong? I've found tension rods (similar to shower rods) for windows this wide but they would mount on the inside of the window. I'd like the curtains to extend a few inches from either side of the window if possible.

Or do I just go with something like a tension rod + Roman Shades (a term I learned while typing this post).

ray_finkle_himself
Sep 7, 2012
Any recommendations for buying artwork online? With frames I guess?

I need to hang some stuff on my walls.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
What's your budget? What do you like?

I'd start at local art shows, swap meets, farmer's markets, etc. Anything you can get online would be something you can pick up at any chain art store.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

There's gold at thrift stores.

Lee Harvey Oswald
Mar 17, 2007

by exmarx
Any recommendations for bookshelves and media shelves in the $100 range? Preferably something steady and easy to assemble.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Lee Harvey Oswald posted:

Any recommendations for bookshelves and media shelves in the $100 range? Preferably something steady and easy to assemble.

The bachelor standard:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/series/27534/

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I'm looking for a simple piece of furniture that I don't know what to call (and therefor search for) so maybe someone here has seen it for sale, or owns one?

It is the red thing in the drawing here.

I have a TV the same width as my dresser, and I have an Xbox and a cable box that need to sit on it as well. The stand the TV came with is too short to let the boxes sit in front of the TV, and I'm not ready to commit to mounting the TV (the studs in the wall don't seem to be in great spots to center it where I want).

It seems like an easy 3-piece thing to build from scratch, but I'm afraid of how bachelor-ish it'd turn out. Surely someone manufactures these?

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
http://www.amazon.com/ClosetMaid-Stackable-Horizontal-Organizer-Espresso/dp/B001UTRUOY/

It's a shoe rack. That's why you didn't know what to google.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Ahahaha, perfect!

e: Do they make those in a single layer? I actually had that thing in my closet but it makes the TV quite tall.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 2, 2015

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
Goons, I need to buy a new mattress. I am looking for a king size mattress but I know nothing of mattress brands. What are some of the best mattress brands?

e: budget is a factor but I'd say quality and longevity is more important.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Goons, I need to buy a new mattress. I am looking for a king size mattress but I know nothing of mattress brands. What are some of the best mattress brands?

All of the major mattress brands are pretty equivalent. Just go to a mattress store and the comfiest middle-of-the-road mattress price-wise should be fine. Just stay away from brands you've never heard of or ones that are suspiciously cheap. Mattress salespeople are paid on commission so you can haggle the price if you like one that's a bit above your budget.

If you want specific brands I've had a few Sealys over the years and they've been good. I have a pillowtop right now that's real comfy.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

drat Bananas posted:

Ahahaha, perfect!

e: Do they make those in a single layer? I actually had that thing in my closet but it makes the TV quite tall.
If you have an Ikea near you, I believe they sell one.

You are basically looking for the lowest-end of shoe racks, and nothing available online will really fit the bill. Wal-Mart or Target or the like may have what you're looking for.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Costco has one mattress in stock, it's a middle-of-the-road soft/firm mattress, I've had one for some years now and it's held up reasonably well. It is probably not the greatest mattress money can buy, but to me mattress shopping is the worst thing ever.

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

drat Bananas posted:

I'm looking for a simple piece of furniture that I don't know what to call (and therefor search for) so maybe someone here has seen it for sale, or owns one?

It is the red thing in the drawing here.

I have a TV the same width as my dresser, and I have an Xbox and a cable box that need to sit on it as well. The stand the TV came with is too short to let the boxes sit in front of the TV, and I'm not ready to commit to mounting the TV (the studs in the wall don't seem to be in great spots to center it where I want).

It seems like an easy 3-piece thing to build from scratch, but I'm afraid of how bachelor-ish it'd turn out. Surely someone manufactures these?

Try searching for 'tv riser', I think that's what you're looking for.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
If you like softer beds, get a cheaper mattress and go to target or Costco and get the 3-4.5in Swedish foam mattress topper. It's like, $100 for a Queen size one and they are AMAZING. I have one of those on a <$200 mattress in a platform bed frame with six pillows and I sleep incredibly well after a really physical job. My boyfriend says he prefers a firmer mattress but seems to sleep much better on mine than he does on his. Deeper sleep, anyhow.

If you want to spend money, especially if you have a partner or may potentially have a partner with a different preference, sleep number beds are awesome. We have one at my family's ranch and I love it. It's also really light weight and easy to move because it involves inflated pocket chambers.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have good freestanding over-the-toilet Ikea hacks? I need more counterspace in the bathroom and can't drill into that wall because it's tile

Dims are 33" width available on wall, 27.5" high, 8 5/16" tank depth

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Defenestration posted:

Does anyone have good freestanding over-the-toilet Ikea hacks? I need more counterspace in the bathroom and can't drill into that wall because it's tile

Doesn't IKEA already sell those, no hacking necessary?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

You want an etagere. Been thinking of getting one myself.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Defenestration posted:

AuntBuck posted:

You want an etagere. Been thinking of getting one myself.
I didn't know the name of these, so thanks for that. Defenestration , Target has them for ~$30. I have the bronze one and it's held up fine for about 5 years now.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ladyweapon posted:

I didn't know the name of these, so thanks for that. Defenestration , Target has them for ~$30. I have the bronze one and it's held up fine for about 5 years now.

Do you have that anchored? If so, do you think it would be okay unanchored?

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Thanatosian posted:

Do you have that anchored? If so, do you think it would be okay unanchored?

Not anchored, but I only kept towels on it. It seemed as sturdy as any upright stand that you'd put stuff on.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

ladyweapon posted:

Thanks! I will look around for one that is more shelf and less cabinet.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question regarding my shower:

The shower in my second-story unit has leaked occasionally into the unit below since I moved in. The shower has a traditional plastic base, but it appears the landlord made the walls himself and caulked the seams. Every time the lower unit complains of a leak, he comes over to caulk some more. The leak was so bad a few months ago that he had plumbers in to solicit estimates for installing an entire new shower in my unit.

Now that was a couple months ago, and after telling me he'd let me know when the shower installation would happen, I haven't heard anything.

The landlord is aware that the water damage has started to warp some of my floor tiles outside the base of the shower. For the time being, I duct-taped the interior base of the shower for my own piece of mind.

Should I be concerned of the bathroom floor rotting out and giving way? Would it be unreasonable for me to have a handyman/inspector check the stability of the floor and then have the landlord foot the bill?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Is ordering a couch off Amazon a good idea? Future mother in law wants to buy one online from Korea. They went to Ikea and didn't like any of them. But a couch is something that absolutely needs an rear end test before purchasing. What are the other options?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like a pretty bad idea. One person's definition of comfy is another's too squishy.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

EugeneJ posted:

Question regarding my shower:

The shower in my second-story unit has leaked occasionally into the unit below since I moved in. The shower has a traditional plastic base, but it appears the landlord made the walls himself and caulked the seams. Every time the lower unit complains of a leak, he comes over to caulk some more. The leak was so bad a few months ago that he had plumbers in to solicit estimates for installing an entire new shower in my unit.

Now that was a couple months ago, and after telling me he'd let me know when the shower installation would happen, I haven't heard anything.

The landlord is aware that the water damage has started to warp some of my floor tiles outside the base of the shower. For the time being, I duct-taped the interior base of the shower for my own piece of mind.

Should I be concerned of the bathroom floor rotting out and giving way? Would it be unreasonable for me to have a handyman/inspector check the stability of the floor and then have the landlord foot the bill?

How long are you planning on living in that unit? A major benefit of renting is not having to worry about things like structural water damage. So unless you really are worried that you're going to fall through the floor (unlikely), I'd say just forget about it. The landlord is only screwing himself over by not fixing the problem.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Ok, so I am definitely moving from NYC to the SF Bay Area in April. When should I start looking for an apartment? I feel like if I start looking too early there might not be enough apartments available starting in April but if I look too late I won't find one I want either and it will be harder to schedule the move. My boss is offering to send me to the California office for a "meeting" so I can look at apartments (he is a really nice boss) but I need to let him know when I want to go.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cheesegod posted:

Ok, so I am definitely moving from NYC to the SF Bay Area in April. When should I start looking for an apartment? I feel like if I start looking too early there might not be enough apartments available starting in April but if I look too late I won't find one I want either and it will be harder to schedule the move. My boss is offering to send me to the California office for a "meeting" so I can look at apartments (he is a really nice boss) but I need to let him know when I want to go.

If the market down there is anything like the market in Seattle (and I think it is, but worse), you're highly unlikely to find anything where you can move into in April before mid-February, I would say; and honestly, March is probably your best bet.

Landlords don't want to leave places open for any longer than necessary, and in hot markets (like San Fran) they go fast.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.

Cheesegod posted:

I would keep an eye out on craigslist and such to get a feel for the area, but most places in SF are same day application. You show up with a credit report, the application filled out, a blank check and the ability to sign now. Rent is going up, vacancy is going down. If you don't want to live in San Francisco, check out Union City (or maybe it's Daly City? I never could keep them straight) & Alameda if you don't mind the suburbs (or don't have 3K/mo to spend on rent :j:). Alternatively, ask your boss if he has any leads on apartments or some cities he recommends.

e: Your original post in this thread about moving to SF said you were probably living outside SF. It's a fair bit less competitive the further you get from the city.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 6, 2015

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Yeah if you're planning on working in SF be totally ready to accept a ridiculous commute depending on your ability to afford housing. Many people working in the city live an hour away (before traffic), either down the peninsula as far South as Sunnyvale / Santa Clara, or across the bay in Oakland, Berkeley, or other areas.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Talking to my boss and other people earlier in this thread, we're looking at Burlingame and the surrounding areas as its close to my office in Redwood City and the Caltrain and BART are nearby if I want to go into SF without driving. I want to live in SF proper but it doesn't make sense with my commute. Plus as you all said trying to find an apartment there on the other side of the country would be really difficult.

I think we're going to fly out the first week of March and lock down a place. Thanks for the help everyone!

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
I agree - Look no more than a month before you want to be a tenant, and likely no more than two weeks. I recommend living in downtown Oakland (they have some nice buildings near BART) or in South San Francisco by that BART station. Caltrain blows. Also, do you like the hood? The tenderloin by Turk St has had some surprisingly affordable apartments lately.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock
Last time we were in SF my girlfriend wandered into the tenderloin and freaked out, so I don't think the tenderloin is an option for us. I'll look into South San Francisco and Oakland though.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

like he's an Italian.
I wouldn't move to Oakland unless someone really familiar with the area recommends a specific place. Definitely don't move to the tenderloin.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Tenderloin looks like a poo poo hole and is pretty terrible to walk around in, but it's not a bad place to live so long as you're okay with leaving you immediate neighborhood to do absolutely anything.

Oakland is a patchwork of lovely spots and really decent areas. If you're looking at places there make sure to walk around your prospective neighborhood (preferably during the day and night) to get a feel for it. The town can change dramatically just in the span of a block or two, so don't assume that a few places in roughly the same area have a similar feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Tenderloin looks like a poo poo hole and is pretty terrible to walk around in, but it's not a bad place to live so long as you're okay with leaving you immediate neighborhood to do absolutely anything.

lol