Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

flatluigi posted:

The most fun run so far this marathon was battleblock theater and that was in primetime, dude. Also where the hell did you get the idea that there are rules against fun this year?

It's been going around. Supposedly (I'm not at the marathon) the first rule of the stream room this year is "No detracting from the runner’s presence. This includes signs, costumes, stuffed animals, grandstanding or any form of taking attention from the runner without the runner and event staff’s consent. The runner must inform us of any of these things that they approve of prior to the run. It also includes being generally distracting by talking or having your phone on, any really anything else that may arise that takes focus away from the run."

Which could be taken as NO GOOFING AROUND, EVER, but I'm pretty sure you have to be reading it that way to begin with to get that idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

HGH posted:

How'd Binding of Isaac get in again?
Also I sure look forwards to another shitstorm in 4 hours.

If it's a seeded run, I can see it being a legit, if slightly boring, speedrun.

If it's the original game, it will probably end with the runner storming out of the room again.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I'm having a hard time believing this is an NES game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Chocolate Donuts posted:

It's been going around. Supposedly (I'm not at the marathon) the first rule of the stream room this year is "No detracting from the runner’s presence. This includes signs, costumes, stuffed animals, grandstanding or any form of taking attention from the runner without the runner and event staff’s consent. The runner must inform us of any of these things that they approve of prior to the run. It also includes being generally distracting by talking or having your phone on, any really anything else that may arise that takes focus away from the run."

Which could be taken as NO GOOFING AROUND, EVER, but I'm pretty sure you have to be reading it that way to begin with to get that idea.

You'd think people so happy to talk about drama wouldn't realize why that rule got set in place given poo poo that's happened in the past like that dude who invited himself onto the couch to promote his own stream without the runner wanting him there

I mean I figure if you want to mess around you can, like, ask the runner and the staff

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009

flatluigi posted:

The most fun run so far this marathon was battleblock theater and that was in primetime, dude. Also where the hell did you get the idea that there are rules against fun this year?

Rules of AGDQ 2015 posted:

"No detracting from the runner’s presence. This includes signs, costumes, stuffed animals, grandstanding or any form of taking attention from the runner without the runner and event staff’s consent. The runner must inform us of any of these things that they approve of prior to the run. It also includes being generally distracting by talking or having your phone on, any really anything else that may arise that takes focus away from the run."

And a few others for good measure. But that one is literally rule one for the stream room and, sadly, is probably the reason why we are only having actual interaction at 5 in the morning: because no one is watching to make sure those rules are enforced.

And that's not cool at all, no matter how you slice it. :(

EDIT: God damnit, Comcast, why do you have to interrupt midpost. But yeah, that's the exact quote that was listed before this post got sent out, with a lot more to add in, if you're curious as to why some things are and aren't happening, I suppose. Who knows, maybe they are going to say "screw this" and be like they were: happy and enjoying themselves. It seems like everything leading up here was a drain on all parties involved.

Faust IX fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 6, 2015

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
You should go back and watch Battleblock dude before you embarass yourself more

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I want to say, screw everyone who says that there are runs at ridiculous hours and yet is in the american timezone. This scheulde is even worse if you're in Europe :( Although a lot better than last year, but BBT started at 3:15 AM here, Uncharted was at 6AM, and the whole Megaman block starts at 4:30AM. Good thing there are recordings, or else I'd be poo poo out of luck when it comes to watching a lot of the really good speedruns here.
Not complaining about the scheulde itself, stuff like this is INEVITABLE when making something that runs 24h a day for a week.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

kater posted:

I'm having a hard time believing this is an NES game.

I think it came out in like '93 or something.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean if you somehow didn't like battleblock theatre, sonic heroes and dark forces II were also fantastically great, fun speedruns at a decent hour for americans -- and there's a bunch more great runs scheduled later today too. Somehow coming to the conclusion that the marathon banned fun because you have to ask the runner before loving around during their run is a really bizarre thing to do.

Kikas posted:

I want to say, screw everyone who says that there are runs at ridiculous hours and yet is in the american timezone. This scheulde is even worse if you're in Europe :( Although a lot better than last year, but BBT started at 3:15 AM here, Uncharted was at 6AM, and the whole Megaman block starts at 4:30AM. Good thing there are recordings, or else I'd be poo poo out of luck when it comes to watching a lot of the really good speedruns here.

There will be good runs at all hours of the day, this is what happens when it's a 24/7 stream! GDQ marathons, ruining sleep schedules for years.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
...I didn't say any of that. I just posted a quote. It is amusing that the NES block of games that seem to be really, really fun for the entire room is at 5 in the morning, however. My condolences to the European and Australian viewers, which must suck even worse.

Also, god drat, that was an amazing "audio cue" there. Sorry for waking you up, UA!

In the end, at we're all having fun, right?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I thought if one player got game over in BattleToads both players did?

"Yellow and Green? That's red." :v:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You don't want the toads to overlap

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The last run I saw was Blood. Anything decent in between that and Battletoads?

EDIT: Decent means either "good and entertaining" or "entertainingly bad".

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Headbutting that icecube in the air was some next level poo poo

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I didn't know they're going to be able to do something like that, with the 2nd player game over-ing. It's going to be interesting, since I don't think I've seen a warpless run of this game.

I feel so bad for whoever is going to try and fix the audio in post after this, because wow, the mic feedback is pretty intense this time around. Can you even fix that sort of thing simply, or is it going to be a painstaking challenge to actually normalize the sound? :suicide:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No way this ends up taking the full 40 minutes

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

The last run I saw was Blood. Anything decent in between that and Battletoads?

EDIT: Decent means either "good and entertaining" or "entertainingly bad".

Battleblock Theater was fantastic, imo, if a bit long for some people's tastes. Perspective, They Bleed Pixels, Shantae, and Within a Deep Forest were all solid, as was Little Samson just before this run. Descent was good, I'd say. Avoid Marisa World unless you hate yourself, and then you're pretty much caught up.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
They never explained the skip in that stage they didn't use!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Chocolate Donuts posted:

Battleblock Theater was fantastic, imo, if a bit long for some people's tastes. Perspective, They Bleed Pixels, Shantae, and Within a Deep Forest were all solid, as was Little Samson just before this run. Descent was good, I'd say. Avoid Marisa World unless you hate yourself, and then you're pretty much caught up.

That's nice to hear, more good runs than I actually was expecting. Thanks!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
TMR literally being carried through this

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
This is one of the most impressive co-op runs that comes to memory.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
This is pretty intense.

Faust IX
Nov 6, 2009
Wow. That's some impressive out of bounds, especially landing that and triggering the next stage.

Somewhere, one of the developers of this game is giggling like a madman and has no idea why.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014
Eh, that game didn't seem so hard to me. :smug:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

That was a highly entertaining co-op run.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Faust IX posted:

Somewhere, one of the developers of this game is giggling like a madman and has no idea why.
There was an interview with one of the developers in Retro Gamer Magazine last year. Apparently the dev team had the attitude of "there's nothing worse than a game that's too easy" throughout production.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
This NES is possessed

Tombad
Oct 21, 2010
River City Ransom is awesome.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Blockhouse posted:

This NES is possessed
Is it PJ's?

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Darkwing's controller hated the extension cords. It's a dogbone, so maybe that had something to do with it. Plugging it in directly made it work.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
:siren: GIMMICK! Alert. :siren:

The room is gonna be packed for this.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Whoever the host is really sounds like she has a sore throat.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I will never get tired of Mr Gimmick runs. They're always awesome.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The runner kinda looks like mr gimmick

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I don't know what amused me more. The goons triggered the Battle Block Theater run or the goons triggered by New Super Marisa Land run.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
Gimmick is a great game and that was a really great run of it :)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr Gimmick is a cute game and I wish that there was somehow a good revival of it.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Holy poo poo, I had no idea Blaster Master was broken this hard.

Still one of my favourite games.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Anatharon posted:

Whoever the host is really sounds like she has a sore throat.

The flu is going around out there, from what I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
I am definitely not promoting the theory that fun has been banned, because I'm not there to authoritatively assert what has or hasn't been done and what is or isn't working right, but a lot of good runs that I think probably should have been interesting seemed to suffer terribly from the audio issues this time around. The obnoxious sounds of mics cutting on and off infrequently, the often completely-silent stream, and the general lack of a crowd mic (or, for that matter, a crowd cam, or, for that matter, any reasonable audience at all) really seem to detract from the atmosphere, on top of what was fairly quiet audio to begin with. I guess I'll tune in again and see if they've fixed the issues, but the complete and utter lack of energy (or intelligible audio) just about murdered most of the Sonic block outside of Heroes for me, and I'm a loving SA2 apologist for Christ's sake.

The real concern is that if they lose the atmosphere of energy (the hype, if you will), because of the generally very quiet, low-key stream, they're not going to attract as much viewership or as many donors. Maybe I've just missed some of the really good runs; TASBot stuff was good as always, as was Heroes, but the F-Zero and Sonic blocks overall were just draining.

E: Monkey Ball was pretty good too, on reflection, but Monkey Ball is pretty much always fantastic.

E2: Although if half the people there are experiencing The Ick on top of jetlag that would help to explain why so many people looked like they were falling asleep in the middle of the day and/or weren't talking much.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 6, 2015

• Locked thread