Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

m.hache posted:

A ticket came in:

"Hey, I can't open this payment remittance. Says I don't have the appropriate software".

PaymentRemittance.rar containing PaymentRemittance.exe.

Installing the bare minimum software on computers finally paid off. The system works!

Also, I've added .RAR's to my filter. If I have to receive large files via email I'll request a 7z.

Thanks for getting us back on topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

does the device even show up at all in dmesg when you plug it in?

Didn't even check, but a few more boot utilities failed to even recognize it.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

jadeddrifter posted:

Thanks for getting us back on topic.

Maybe you should lurk more and not spam a bunch of white noise (nearly a post a minute today!) in an effort to get your post count up because you J4G'd to get into Goonfleet.

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

NZAmoeba posted:

Maybe you should lurk more and not spam a bunch of white noise (nearly a post a minute today!) in an effort to get your post count up because you J4G'd to get into Goonfleet.

I am tired of this "discussion" being about my job sucks, instead of being about the stupid tickets we come across.
A post a min today would be 72000 posts. I am no where near that.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

jadeddrifter posted:

I am tired of this "discussion" being about my job sucks, instead of being about the stupid tickets we come across.

Pretty sure there's only 1440 minutes in a day son.

60 mins in an hour, 24 hours per day.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

jadeddrifter posted:

:justpost:

jadeddrifter
Feb 18, 2014

ConfusedUs posted:

Pretty sure there's only 1440 minutes in a day son.

60 mins in an hour, 24 hours per day.

Your right. I have no idea where i went wrong with my math. Still no where near that.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jadeddrifter posted:

Your right. I have no idea where i went wrong with my math. Still no where near that.

Your not suppose to make it so obvious with your forum name. Eve sucks and you won't get in anyway.

You might want to be a little more of a regular before you start backseat modding.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
For the many complaints I have with where I work, at least they are fair with vacation. I get 3 weeks, plus 4 floater days from non-traditional holidays and 1 extra to make it round off. The issue I have is actually using them all. Most of my days off are quick 1-2 days where I usually drive home to visit family, or when I get close to capping and I'll use up a day. I haven't had a real long vacation in years, I hope this year to spend a week in Yellowstone though.

Years ago, I was working with an external audit company on getting them accounts on our secure file sharing site, after setup, I'd call the user and let them know. One of them was out, and according to their VM, they wouldn't be back for over a month and a half. I talked to another person there and asked about that, apparently when you hit 5 years with that company, you get a paid sabbatical to rest up, and for them to make sure you aren't up to anything. You can also use any of your vacation time at the beginning/end of this. So this guy was taking most of December and January off to go skiing. While being paid for it.

We require a week of no contact for certain positions/people at work, but they handle it really stupidly, as you are required to use your own time for this. So anyone with 2 weeks of vacation only gets 5 days to use how they want to.

Actual tickets: No real tickets in awhile, got so bored I did all of our mandatory online training for the year. Turns out slipping and falling at work is something I could avoid!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CitizenKain posted:

I talked to another person there and asked about that, apparently when you hit 5 years with that company, you get a paid sabbatical to rest up, and for them to make sure you aren't up to anything.

"Aren't up to anything"? What they go through your stuff or something?

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

m.hache posted:

Anyone take their MCSA 70-410/411 exams recently?

I'm looking for some cheap/free training resources that are helpful in preparing for the exam. I've already done my 074-409 exam which doubles for my 70-412 so I want to hammer out the first two to become MCSA certified before I go for my MCSE.

I was looking at the CBT Nuggets courses but I'm paying out of pocket for this and that's more than I can afford right now.

Come to the cert thread!

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

spankmeister posted:

They have someone else look their work and to make sure there isn't anything suspicious that suddenly pops up. Its a good security practice to make sure someone isn't hiding anything, especially if they are auditors.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

spankmeister posted:

Forced vacations are a way to detect fraud, embezzlement etc. It's so you can't keep your plates spinning indefinitely.

My Security+ is really paying for itself :eng101:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Chiming in from the land of the free (aka last communist state in europe). 25 days off, 8 paid holidays, 12 (4x3) sick days without a doctors note...

Guess we can't complain :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
20 days, 8 paid public holidays on top of that, unlimited sick pay now that i've got that bonus poo poo sorted, with the exception that I do have to call in each day to go "yep, i'm still sick dude" unless i've had an accident/operation (I'm getting wisdom teeth pulled as soon as I can get an appointment booked, because gently caress these things).

:smug:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

spankmeister posted:

When I worked for a major bank, we had to take two consecutive weeks of vacation each year (notified before I signed anything), as a fraud detection method.

As I was working on some of the automated fraud detection systems, the actual method was me and my boss cross-checking one another's work. Still had to take the time, which lead to some nice long vacations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

skooma512 posted:

Forced vacations are a way to detect fraud, embezzlement etc. It's so you can't keep your plates spinning indefinitely.

My Security+ is really paying for itself :eng101:

Other ways my Security+ paid off:

I know that the proper name for the new entrances at work are "man traps"!

Not really sure what else I learned but there ya go.

(I'm currently looking at a picture E-Mailed to me by a Fiber Tech. It was a picture taken on a mobile device, screen grabbed from the gallery, then the screen grab e-mailed to me.)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

DigitalRaven posted:

When I worked for a major bank, we had to take two consecutive weeks of vacation each year (notified before I signed anything), as a fraud detection method.

As I was working on some of the automated fraud detection systems, the actual method was me and my boss cross-checking one another's work. Still had to take the time, which lead to some nice long vacations.

Yep, I worked in a global security team for a fairly large international bank a few years ago. We had very strict security controls, including the "you must be away from work for at least one whole week during the year". While you were gone, there was a minimum level audit done on network patterns, what data you touched and where it moved, that kind of stuff. If they even had a hint of anything off, they made you take another week (this one not eating into your vacation time) as they did a deeper dive. At least that was in the playbook. Never seen it need to be executed in my group. I'd heard of it happening at some of the regional security teams, however.

Also things like access to encryption hardware required multiple users authenticating to access (we're talking inter-bank transport encryption type stuff, or bank-to-bank transaction logs). There was a big safe with multiple keyed compartments. Each compartment containing tamper evident pouches with one time use authentication credentials. It was crazy movie level stuff. But it worked and kept the auditors VERY happy. It was an unmitigated pain in the rear end, but by far one of the best group of people and more interesting jobs I've had.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Start of a ticket..

Ticket from a primary school posted:

Silja was wearing Maja's computer as a hat, and...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Crowley posted:

Start of a ticket..

Maja tried to fly like a bee?

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Crowley posted:

Start of a ticket..

Sounds exactly like when I supported a bunch of primary schools where they had accidental coverage on the laptops. "Laptop accidentally hit by soccer ball (laptop was being used as goalpost)"

All you could do was sigh deeply and order up the parts.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Crowley posted:

Start of a ticket..

You didn't give us the most important information here - are Silja and Maja pupils or teachers(/admin staff)?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Oh my god I live under five minutes from work and I am literally incapable of getting my car up the dinky little hill on my street because of the snow. After 10 minutes of trying I decided it was too dangerous and gave up. I'm working from home although it'll be a ghost town so probably not much will happen anyway.

EDIT: This isn't a "my workplace is horrible" story, I told them I couldn't get in and they said no problem stay safe.

guppy fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 6, 2015

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

You didn't give us the most important information here - are Silja and Maja pupils or teachers(/admin staff)?

Didn't hear, but I assume they are students purely from the names.. and the fact they they're wearing laptops as hats and all the Christmas parties were in December.

evobatman posted:

Sounds exactly like when I supported a bunch of primary schools where they had accidental coverage on the laptops. "Laptop accidentally hit by soccer ball (laptop was being used as goalpost)"

All you could do was sigh deeply and order up the parts.

Actually we don't have accidental coverage but so far we're within budget for repairs.

It may help that we don't fix cosmetic damage but just tapes it over with black duct tape. When the students saw that they suddenly got better at caring for "their" computer - except for a few lost causes where the schools have taken to only handing out the computers when the kids actually need them. (there's always that special kid who just can't help hitting his things with hammers, and momma thinks that's a-ok)

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
A ticket didn't come in, but it's been mandated that I move our warehouse into our other building, that also, sort of has a warehouse.
The company is broke and floundering to make paychecks, so this will be a relief on the budget (about equivalent to my salary).
But goddamn, giving me 12 hours 'notice' to move an entire loving warehouse? The worst part is nobody from the warehouse knows where the gently caress they're going to be in the other building, and there's already a ton of poo poo in the other building that I have to move before I can move the warehouse.

Actually, no. The worst loving part is that they asked me to move a warehouse.

CDW
Aug 26, 2004

Thanks for this, Yealink IP phone.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

CDW posted:

Thanks for this, Yealink IP phone.

have you tried strting the service?

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

incoherent posted:

Come to the cert thread!

Didn't realize that was a thing! (Although I should have guessed)

Thanks.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Got a text from the CEO last night: "What do you know about web.com?"

Well, judging by the generic URL and a quick google search, it seems pretty scammy. I guess she just sees TV commercials and decides "our Facebook page needs to be better!!"

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

m.hache posted:

Didn't realize that was a thing! (Although I should have guessed)

Thanks.

The IT Certification Megathread: Straight Outta CompTIA in case you haven't found it already.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
So I got told this morning that we need to be PCI-DSS compliant. I had no idea we even processed Credit Cards in house. Also we apparently had a grace period to be compliant that expired 2 months ago and no one bothered to notify anyone.

Also, we need to be Accessibility compliant now as well so now I have to draft up a bunch of documents/PDF's on our website to say more or less "Call if you need help".

What a poo poo show.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I think I have reached the Apex of my technical life. I was working on a customer trunk issue. Customer has some Comcast PRI which is a business class cable modem connected to something that converts the traffic to analog and sends it to the switch. The trunk is out of service and the line quality looks bad. We involve Comcast and it is finger pointing time.

The Comcast tech is saying they see no issues and everything looks good from their end, etc. Halfway through his speech I pipe up and say:

"Could you try rebooting your cable modem?"

I work from home. Whenever my connection goes down and I call Comcast, that is the only thing they can ever suggest. It felt so good to throw it back at them.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
We don't have many paid holidays at my work, but all the other idiots here burn their vacation time on holidays, so I get basically a free vacation day by coming into work on those holidays and getting paid to gently caress around on the internet because you can't do anything productive in an empty office.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

wa27 posted:

Got a text from the CEO last night: "What do you know about web.com?"

Sounds like our MD who received a "You should buy this" web host ad spam email; He messages me "WE NEED TO BUY THE DOMAINS, ALL OF THEM"

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Super Slash posted:

Sounds like our MD who received a "You should buy this" web host ad spam email; He messages me "WE NEED TO BUY THE DOMAINS, ALL OF THEM"

About 30 years too late for that bit of advice.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Sir, it's purchasing domains from the internet!

Which ones?

All of them

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Super Slash posted:

We got a couple of emails today at our support address asking us if we would be interested in buying i[domain].com

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

m.hache posted:

So I got told this morning that we need to be PCI-DSS compliant. I had no idea we even processed Credit Cards in house. Also we apparently had a grace period to be compliant that expired 2 months ago and no one bothered to notify anyone.

Also, we need to be Accessibility compliant now as well so now I have to draft up a bunch of documents/PDF's on our website to say more or less "Call if you need help".

What a poo poo show.

I think there are a number of consulting companies out there that should be able to give you sound advice on what is the most cost-effective way to get compliant for PCI-DSS for your business. While you're working on that you'll probably also want to make sure you can process EMV / Chip & Pin as that's coming up in October 2015.

There've been surprisingly few tickets of late, like the stores we support have decided not to report issues during the holidays. Just scattered calls about keyboards not working / emails not coming through because of filtering.

Of course the keyboard didn't work because they unplugged it and then when they plugged it back in they bent the pins. :sigh:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Today I got to explain to a client what the word "default" meant.

I don't mean that sarcastically like they sent something from the wrong account, I mean I actually had to define the word for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Inspector_666 posted:

Today I got to explain to a client what the word "default" meant.

I don't mean that sarcastically like they sent something from the wrong account, I mean I actually had to define the word for them.

This happened to me once when I did phone support for an ISP. Nothing worked right when I was trying to troubleshoot, everything was in the wrong place or set up weird.

Turns out she was a retired accountant. To her, "default" is a bad thing. So whenever her computer asked her if she wanted the "default" settings, she'd say no and choose something else. Once that got straightened out she was sharp as a tack and we got everything working right.

• Locked thread