Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's Apposition Johnny!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Cloud Potato posted:

And now, main Politoon thread, introducing the Brit thread's favourite, Paul Thomas.

Express:

Now our cookers will feel the heat from Brussels

I love Paul Thomas, terrible opinions with such bright colours! Found the fox... does he still hide birds in his comics? I can't find one.

Exclamation Marx posted:

Jacques-Louis David, 1794

haha awesome.

Here's today's David Pope:

Prime Minister Tony A butt went on a surprise trip to Iraq to support the troops or thank them or hey photo shoot time!

...yyyeah. Being such an ardent supporter of Australian Defence Force personnel, Tones's government kicked them a nice below-inflation pay rise with cuts to benefits recently.

also please don't make me explain the speedos

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Speaking of which, is there any other writer for whom actual writers can basically sell fanfiction of their works?

Fulchrum posted:

Stephanie Meyer.
Also George Lucas.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Was that whole Rolling Stones thing really only two weeks ago? I could have sworn it was longer.

voltroon
Apr 29, 2009

Occultatio posted:

(I literally shouted "holy poo poo!" out loud when I saw this)

It's a shame he's stopped; I feel like he would be one of the thread favorites, up there with Bennett, were he still active.

Holy goddamn Jesus. My jaw dropped open when I scrolled down to this.

Welp, in contrast to all that talent, let's look at some banal crap. McClatchy cartoons, week of 1/4/15:

Jim Morin. Not sure if he's trying to say that Republicans are finally riding the tide of pro-same sex marriage sentiment, or if they're somehow ... surfing backwards on it?

Joel Pett hamfists a metaphor and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of them gizmos

Judge understandbly confuses "experts" and "psychics".

Judge again with an early entry for the GA's Worst Caricature category.

And last and least, Jim Morin with an incredible showing of pure ugliness.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Innsmouth is by far my favorite concept by him and it really only is so memorable because of his grotesque racism.
EDIT - I say concept because I think Lovecraft's work functions best as a setting, a setting other better writers can work with. Speaking of which, is there any other writer for whom actual writers can basically sell fanfiction of their works?
Arthur Conan Doyle.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

voltroon posted:

And last and least, Jim Morin with an incredible showing of pure ugliness.

For additional explanation, the UDB.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Innsmouth is by far my favorite concept by him and it really only is so memorable because of his grotesque racism.
EDIT - I say concept because I think Lovecraft's work functions best as a setting, a setting other better writers can work with. Speaking of which, is there any other writer for whom actual writers can basically sell fanfiction of their works?

Bram Stroker

Fulchrum posted:

Stephanie Meyer.

I think the phrase "actual writers" rules out her and her ilk.

I dont know fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Jan 6, 2015

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Mathew Mark Luke and John.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

voltroon posted:

Joel Pett hamfists a metaphor and demonstrates a complete lack of understanding of them gizmos

Didn't know you could use green tinfoil to vape... I don't know, a can of olive oil?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Malory and all the other Arthurian myth writers.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

There's a 40-million-dollar Hollywood movie coming out next month that's an adaptation of an adaptation of Harry Potter fanfic.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

TetsuoTW posted:

There's a 40-million-dollar Hollywood movie coming out next month that's an adaptation of an adaptation of Harry Potter fanfic.

I don't follow movie showings, but are you talking about that 50 shades movie? Wasn't that a fanfic of that one tween vampire series that I can't recall the name of?

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

quote:

Arthur Conan Doyle.

And William Hope Hodgeson.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The real question is if someone could make a profitable film out of dril's tweets.

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action
John Milton, basically any depiction of Satan in fiction comes directly from him but then again thats bible fanfiction already so idk

swampland fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 6, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Garrand posted:

I don't follow movie showings, but are you talking about that 50 shades movie? Wasn't that a fanfic of that one tween vampire series that I can't recall the name of?
poo poo, I got that confused with City of Bone or whatever that loving one with Phil Collins' daughter was. That was Potter, 50 Shades is Twilight.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

The real question is if someone could make a profitable film out of dril's tweets.

Only if it was a cartoon animated by Gavin Aung Than.

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet
War Crimes, good news, bad news

According to Reuters News Agency:
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - "For someone nearing 80, President Mahmoud Abbas still knows how to shake things up. But his decision last week to join the International Criminal Court is a high-risk move that may set back the ultimate goal: an independent Palestinian state.
Frustrated by the lack of progress in negotiations with Israel - the last, fruitless talks broke down in April - and the failure of his New Year's Eve statehood bid at the United Nations, Abbas followed through on a long-promised threat to join the ICC, filing the relevant documents on Jan. 2.
The decision, to be formalized in the next 2-3 months, opens the way for war crimes charges to be brought against Israel, whether relating to last summer's conflict in Gaza or the impact of Israel's 47-year-long occupation of Palestinian territory.
Equally, it opens the Palestinians up to war crimes charges, and Israeli officials have said they plan to make such moves via courts in the United States or elsewhere.
But the biggest immediate hurdle for Abbas is getting the ICC, set up in The Hague 12 years ago, to take on any case it brings. Joining the court is one thing, but convincing the chief prosecutor that you have a winnable set of evidence is another."-more

Meanwhile, you can make your judgement here and now!!!
It's simple, join the Dry Bones Team. For details please click on http://igg.me/at/drybones
Labels: Abbas, Democracy, ICC, International Criminal Court, Israel, Middle East, Palestinians, war crimes

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Occultatio posted:

In the spirit of the new thread, I went looking for what local cartoonists the Twin Cities have (other than Steve Sack, who I honestly quite like but already gets posted pretty regularly). Thus, I found Kirk Anderson, who was on staff at the St. Paul Pioneer Press for 8 years (apparently mostly during the late 90s and early 2000s). He has very, very Good Opinions, and still puts out one or two cartoons a year:

... but other than the odd cartoon has more or less stopped drawing (he had I think 2 in 2014, 1 in 2013, 1 in 2011 and then none between then and 2004).

However. If you go back to the Bush years, he has some :drat: cartoons that would make Priggee jealous. Some of them are pretty dated:

...but many, many, MANY others are still so ridiculously relevant that I had to double-check that they were posted ten years ago, and not ten weeks:

(I literally shouted "holy poo poo!" out loud when I saw this)

It's a shame he's stopped; I feel like he would be one of the thread favorites, up there with Bennett, were he still active.

Toons. Toons never changes.

Edit: Read the Dry Bones above, thought that the opinion was oddly neutral and realized it was just quoted from Reuters.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jan 6, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Some recent-ish Horseys:

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/topoftheticket/la-na-tt-changing-rose-parade-20150105-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/topoftheticket/la-na-tt-two-year-presidential-campaign-20141231-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/topoftheticket/la-na-tt-obamas-a-wily-quarterback-20141224-story.html

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/topoftheticket/la-na-tt-kim-jong-un-seth-rogens-film-20141222-story.html

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Maybe we just have lowered standards because of how piss poor these usually are, but I thought this was great. Fits perfectly.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

That is probably the most flattering caricature of Seth Rogen that could ever exist.

Sardine Wit
Sep 3, 2004

Fart Joke Auteur would be a rad username though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

voltroon posted:

Judge again with an early entry for the GA's Worst Caricature category.

Worst caricature of Obama, or of America? That map :stare: Whatever happened to gently caress up our coastlines even appears to have broken off Canada into its own continent. The Free Cities of Canados, across the Narrow Sea

TetsuoTW posted:

poo poo, I got that confused with City of Bone or whatever that loving one with Phil Collins' daughter was. That was Potter, 50 Shades is Twilight.

If Divergent isn't a Potter fanfiction, it could be one with a few changed proper nouns. "Divergent, Or: But I'm Both Slytherin AND Ravenclaw, The Movie"

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm

Looks like the GOP is going to get a wicked offsides penalty

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

This one is pretty timeless. I like it a lot.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

bradburypancakes posted:

Looks like the GOP is going to get a wicked offsides penalty

Jon Bois presents: Breaking Congress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

New Bors

This is more or less exactly my feelings on NYPD's "strike".

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Today's Prick City brought to you by Ted Rall and Rand Paul

Erenthal
Jan 1, 2008

A relaxing walk in the woods
Grimey Drawer

Stultus Maximus posted:

I have a feeling, call me paranoid if you want to, that the skin color and party affiliation of the current occupant of the White House is directly related to how the author feels about surveillance programs and police militarization.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah uh these guys know it's not America the predator drones are flying over, right?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

loquacius posted:

Yeah uh these guys know it's not America the predator drones are flying over, right?

So naive...

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

That is a good Bors in which the topic is well suited to his particular brand of comedy and I enjoy each of the angry cop faces.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Stultus Maximus posted:

"We want to feel safe."

This loving bullshit right here is why we have the Patriot Act and TSA security theater.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Grey Fox posted:

"We want to feel safe."

This loving bullshit right here is why we have the Patriot Act and TSA security theater.

But we can't blame Obama for those, so the real problem is that drones exist.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

New Bors

This is more or less exactly my feelings on NYPD's "strike".

I can only hope their petulant display continues long enough to demonstrate that hauling in people for minor crimes doesn't really do a whole lot for society.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Exclamation Marx posted:

Jacques-Louis David, 1794

Are they by any chance related.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

I can only hope their petulant display continues long enough to demonstrate that hauling in people for minor crimes doesn't really do a whole lot for society.

Haha like demonstrations of how austerity measures don't grow economies ended the practice worldwide forever?

Empiricism means nothing to ideology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I think the point is that they're cutting the city's income by not ticketing people for stuff. Which as a non-NYC-city-employee is fine by me!

• Locked thread