Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Social Animal posted:

When he said that she wasn't a good side kick my jaw dropped. No way it took you three years to come to that conclusion. I knew right then there was some other reason for it.

I guess we'll have to wait until Allison explains it on her own podcast sometime in the future.

Carolla basically just rehashed what he said regarding Danny's departure. Comedy Factory, not a warehouse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tweak posted:

Carolla basically just rehashed what he said regarding Danny's departure. Comedy Factory, not a warehouse!

More than anything I always remember that phrase. Adam used to go on how he riffs and adlibs all the time unlike stand up comedians who just reiterate the same material over and over again. So he was a "factory"

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

CatfishClyde posted:

Eh, not really, I don't think she's his type actually, and I think Allison is assertive enough to not just keep quiet if she was harassed.

I would not be surprised if it came to light that he was having an affair, though. His marriage has been rocky and he's been boozing a lot, at least these are the impressions I have.

Somehow I get the feeling that Adam Carolla hasn't been laid for months.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

http://instagram.com/p/xf18NKHQP6/

quote:

Holy poo poo! Thanks, you guys! Wow. Feeling very moved by this outpouring of support and excited/energized about the future of my own show. I was probably as surprised as you guys were to get the news last week that I wouldn't be returning to ACS but I'm really thankful and proud of 4 years I spent on the show and glad I got to meet so many of you. This is an exciting new beginning.

gently caress Adam Carolla.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Wow. Merry Christmas!

The good news is that Moxaloxa and a few others have tweeted / instagrammed that they'll be on Thursday's show. So that's awesome.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I dont think Alison is hurting for money, she talks about the new Audi she bought from time to time.

Those things aint cheap.

The rumors about this having something to do with Adams sex life are laughable. When does the guy have time for cheating?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

JB50 posted:

When does the guy have time for cheating?

I have no clue whether or not he's cheating, but when there's a combination of being famous on the road and a having bunch of booze around, it's a possiblity.

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jan 6, 2015

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The show has been poo poo for a long time now, especially when it was just him ranting like a lunatic and barely interviewing people. When Alison came in it brought some fresh air but man, its not surprising to see Adam get even worse after all these years. gently caress him. Just saw the news from Allison on Facebook and good luck to her. Getting onto Nerdist will be huge tho if she can do it. That network is getting loving crazy and the guests on their podcasts kill everything.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

This might actually turn out great for Alison. She's shot up the iTunes charts in the last 24 hours (#2 in comedy only behind Maron). She's got a banner now at the top of the iTunes store. And she's garnering a ton of sympathy online. I didn't like Alison on the show but she genuinely seems like a nice person. And Adam comes across as a giant piece of poo poo in how he handled it.

The funny thing with Adam is how he slowly becomes everything he hates. He trashed the morning radio format but does everything he can to try and replicate it on his show. And for all the poo poo talking he does about those who surround themselves with "yes people", he's done the exact same thing with his life. He'll always have a core of loyal followers, but he'll never get any bigger than he is with how tone deaf he is to his audience.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The Janay Rice thing particularly bugs me. Not only is it morally reprehensible, but Adam used to mock dickheads who abused their partners on Loveline. Now he's okay with victim blaming? The gently caress?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I wish Adam's failed sitcom from a long time ago was a huge hit that went into syndication and he had enough money to race cars and live comfortably, so he would keep his stupid old man trap shut. He reminds me of an old drunk Grandpa now, angry and boring and very arrogant.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
He would still be working, it's just how he's wired.

http://www.thewrap.com/adam-carollas-fired-sidekick-alison-rosen-breaks-silence-i-wish-adam-had-talked-to-me/

So basically Alison got an email out of the blue over the holidays. I tend to think getting fired is sort of the same no matter the kayfabe but that's pretty awful.

If we are floating theories mine would be a combination of the stated one and that she was going to get pregnant/need maternity leave. Also not a great (or legal!) reason to fire someone but it's "insanely pragmatic" and yeah Adam is generally that.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

what a colossal coward

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

pangstrom posted:

http://www.thewrap.com/adam-carollas-fired-sidekick-alison-rosen-breaks-silence-i-wish-adam-had-talked-to-me/

So basically Alison got an email out of the blue over the holidays. I tend to think getting fired is sort of the same no matter the kayfabe but that's pretty awful.

If we are floating theories mine would be a combination of the stated one and that she was going to get pregnant/need maternity leave. Also not a great (or legal!) reason to fire someone but it's "insanely pragmatic" and yeah Adam is generally that.
Came here to post this. This is insane.

He fired her. Okay.

Over email? What the gently caress? This guy is a huge tool.

I really thing Bruce is onto something about him having Aspergers. The guy is not capable of showing emotion. He doesn't get it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

pangstrom posted:

That is a very weird way to fire someone, especially someone you worked with for 4 years. Something isn't being spoken about for sure and I guess we'll never know because adam is good about being quiet about things like this.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

You know what, gently caress that duche. It was unlistenable recently anyway.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter

Looks like my theory was wrong. This is really weird. Knowing that her last vacation got screwed up due to the dog attack, it was a real dick move to ruin her Christmas vacation by firing her via e-mail.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Maybe Dr. Drew will move on this year as well and the pirate ship will start sinking.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Wow, Adam is full of poo poo. Hasn't he ranted many times about how texting and email have ruined good things, like old fashioned man to man business practices, with handshakes and such? This is a guy who dictated his books, rather than type them. What a hilarious coward he is.

Hey, speaking of Adam being a jerk to people, is there any news about that other lawsuit? Not the patent troll, but the one with his longtime friend who started the podcast with him?

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Maybe our sweet little Alison isn't as sweet as she seems. The she-devil was bringing down the morale of pirate ship.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lynette's a dope. If you have something to say, come out and say it. So cowardly to insinuate something like that and not back it up.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Grant DaNasty posted:

Maybe our sweet little Alison isn't as sweet as she seems. The she-devil was bringing down the morale of pirate ship.

She deleted those tweets. or at least the "nothing is as it seems" tweet.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think firing her makes him an rear end in a top hat. If you want to go a different direction, it's his show and he can. Still think it's sort of silly to try and re-create a Morning Zoo radio show when those are dying all across the country.

Firing by e-mail is definitely an rear end in a top hat move after all that time. And assuming your audience wouldn't care that the person they listened to for 4 years was no longer going to be on and a 60-second explanation would suffice shows such a lack of awareness on his part.

Also wonder if downloads are down and maybe the live shows aren't selling out as much. Saw an interesting quote on another site about how Adam might have a pirate poo poo, but there are a lot of cruise ships now sailing in the waters. There is a lot more competition in the podcasting world now than there was 5 years ago.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Adam might have a pirate poo poo

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Niwrad posted:

I don't think firing her makes him an rear end in a top hat. If you want to go a different direction, it's his show and he can. Still think it's sort of silly to try and re-create a Morning Zoo radio show when those are dying all across the country.

I don't think anyone's calling him an rear end in a top hat for firing her, people are calling him an rear end in a top hat for the absolutely callous, pussy way he went about it.

Is it possible Alison had a falling out with Lynette, or made one little joke to/at her that hurt her delicate feelings and lead to her pressuring Adam to fire her? Would Lynette have that kind of clout with Adam? Yes I'm aware a wives have a lot of say to the husbands but Adam is Adam afterall.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't know, those tweets do suggest that the firing was more "motivated" than just changing things up (which might also help explain why it was done abruptly/impersonally) but who knows because yeah Lynette seems like a dope. It may just have been a clumsy attempt at running interference for her husband.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Moniker posted:

She deleted those tweets. or at least the "nothing is as it seems" tweet.

Naa, it's still there under "tweets and replies". https://twitter.com/LynetteCarolla/status/552374949936398337

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I don't think it was for something specific. I think he just wants they stereotypical Morning Zoo "newsgirl" who will laugh at all his jokes, tell him how great he is, and be eye candy at the live shows.

If you ever listened to O&A, he wants what they described as "the hole".

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
How the mighty have fallen, mattress on the 405.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
Pasadena checking in at 'I'm a wretched human being'

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Its a very, very good coincidence for Alison that her newest episode just happens to be that very excellent Jo Koy interview. Anyone tuning in for the first time to see what the fuss is all about is gonna be impressed by that one.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Northjayhawk posted:

Its a very, very good coincidence for Alison that her newest episode just happens to be that very excellent Jo Koy interview. Anyone tuning in for the first time to see what the fuss is all about is gonna be impressed by that one.
She's #5 on the podcasts list on Itunes currently too, and she still has a spot in the rotating banners at the top. Good for her.

This is so weird. She always has been too smart and funny for just a newsgirl sidekick role, but what the hell? If even a little of the online outrage is to be taken seriously at all, he's going to lose a chunk of listeners over this. I haven't really listened consistently in a couple months anyway, so I'm going to unsubscribe on Itunes myself, maybe if enough people do it will drive home the message and make him realize what a weirdo he's being about this. One very on point and funny Itunes review currently says

quote:

I've tried listening to you since the beginning. But it just isn't working out. It was a nice trial run. But you're fired effective immediately. Hit the bricks and best of luck.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Adam has some pretty deep thoughts concerning this on twitter including “Thx 4 your opinions.Not wanting 2 be negative but It just wasn’t a good vibe for me & crew.Sorry if its not enough for some of U.Wish A well”

he also appears to just write “thanks” in response to pointed questions more often than not regardless of content but maybe that's just his thing/a partial bot?? I don't follow him on twitter

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

That's just his thing on Twitter. He'll go through the mentions and find everyone who mentions they bought Mangria or went to a show and say thanks. Makes him difficult to follow on there.

res0
Nov 19, 2004

BYOB: AIDS slut techno party 1993

WEH posted:

Adam has some pretty deep thoughts concerning this on twitter including “Thx 4 your opinions.Not wanting 2 be negative but It just wasn’t a good vibe for me & crew.Sorry if its not enough for some of U.Wish A well”

he also appears to just write “thanks” in response to pointed questions more often than not regardless of content but maybe that's just his thing/a partial bot?? I don't follow him on twitter

Translation: "Alison challenged my intellectually lazy, old-man arguments too often, so I had to get someone to fire her via email on Christmas!"

Or he's making room for Gina Grad, who is the epitome of a weak-willed female sidekick.

Either way, the podcast has been bad for awhile. Hadn't heard about his Janay Rice idiocy, but it isn't surprising.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx

Niwrad posted:

That's just his thing on Twitter. He'll go through the mentions and find everyone who mentions they bought Mangria or went to a show and say thanks. Makes him difficult to follow on there.

Honestly, the correct thing for the twitter account of a comedy podcast is to either be a cold iron wall where you never reply to anyone, or to do what Adam is doing, and always reply with stuff like like "thanks for being a listener, sorry you are unhappy", etc. If he started lashing out and arguing with fans on social media, it would be a total loving disaster for him.

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Listened to the first part of the most recent podcast.

He and BB opened by openly mocking the idiots who suggested a love affair. Then they settled in, Adam started reiterating that Alison is a good writer, a good lead, not a good sidekick, etc. Adam acknowledged that he was basically retarded as far as referring to giving Gina and Tim Conway a proper sendoff right after talking about firing Alison.

Adam then said that even though he looks like he's being cruel, he really means what he's saying, that he doesn't think Alison should continue on this job. "just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD do something".

Also "I think she's got a lot in the tank, and not much of it is coming out" because she's basically being quiet and deferring to Adam, being repressed by her role, etc. He basically spent a bit of time saying that he thinks she'll now probably be more creative and produce a lot of stuff now that she's freed from his shadow.

Also said she'd probably sit there listening to the same stories for the next five years and not really get kicked out from behind the drum kit so to speak"

"I didn't do this.... FOR HER.... but I feel like some people can fall into a position and stagnate"

Adam also admitted that, regarding his short curt email, "she didn't get what she deserved out of it" "I should have done a better job, I wasn't thinking about it like I should have", etc

Northjayhawk
Mar 8, 2008

by exmarx
Adam also basically swore that Alison told him a long time ago that if it ever got to this point where she was going to be let go, that she'd rather avoid the uncomfortable conversations and be told in email.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

"yea i guess that was lovely of me, huh? MOVING ON"

i don't know what i expected, his email excuse just reminds me of the inane kevin smith debacle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Northjayhawk posted:

That was actually my first time listening to her show and I enjoyed it. What's her backlog like though? Worth going through it?